The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Kind of surprising. Would have been a HUGE raise for him.

Maybe they weren't offering him what they offered Hurley?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Pitt fans would have lost their minds if they hired Schmidt.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Glad he's staying in our league. Good coach.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Kind of surprising. Would have been a HUGE raise for him.

He may have only taken his name out of consideration because he knew he wouldn't be getting the job. It could just be a face saving move. This happens quite a bit.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Kind of surprising. Would have been a HUGE raise for him.

He may have only taken his name out of consideration because he knew he wouldn't be getting the job. It could just be a face saving move. This happens quite a bit.
Reading between the lines, I think this is what happened here. Sounds like Oats is out also. Not sure who is left but Becker.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Vermont to the ACC? Doubt it. They can have Slick.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

At this point, I think Pitt is probably going to end up with a high-major Assistant getting their first HC job. Might work out well for them, but I don't think it'll be a "splash" hire. Or to phrase it the way some others here have - no "buzz."
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

I have heard Jon Scheyer, assistant at Duke, is possibly the guy for Pitt.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PillPushr wrote:I have heard Jon Scheyer, assistant at Duke, is possibly the guy for Pitt.
Close!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Capel was once the head coach at VCU and later Oklahoma. He has experience running a program.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:
Also, former VCU coach, though not mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cape ... University
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yup. He was promoted to the head job from assistant. It works sometimes!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Scheyer is still a few years away from being ready to run a high major program. No way he was getting Pitt.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Assuming that Coach Cox is named our Head Coach, if Chris Mack goes to Louisville and takes Travis Steele and/or Luke Murray with him, will Naji Marshall ask for his release?

Marshall is from the DC area, we were on his final list of schools, he is friends with Jermaine Harris and we still have that 1 open scholarship.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

reckless jake wrote:Assuming that Coach Cox is named our Head Coach, if Chris Mack goes to Louisville and takes Travis Steele and/or Luke Murray with him, will Naji Marshall ask for his release?

Marshall is from the DC area, we were on his final list of schools, he is friends with Jermaine Harris and we still have that 1 open scholarship.
If Naji Marshall transfers, schools like UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc will be all over him. No way in hell would he consider going to the A10.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

reckless jake wrote:Assuming that Coach Cox is named our Head Coach, if Chris Mack goes to Louisville and takes Travis Steele and/or Luke Murray with him, will Naji Marshall ask for his release?

I wondered the same thing last night actually. That would be amazing. One thing that could affect all that is if Xavier hires from within and the now promoted assistant can hang on to him.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That would probably be a guy who I'd use a roster spot for this year, although generally my preference would be someone that could contribute next season and add a little more age and experience, i.e., a JUCO or a 5th year. Wouldn't the most likely thing (beyond him just staying put at Xavier) be that he ends up Louisville?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

TruePoint wrote:That would probably be a guy who I'd use a roster spot for this year, although generally my preference would be someone that could contribute next season and add a little more age and experience, i.e., a JUCO or a 5th year. Wouldn't the most likely thing (beyond him just staying put at Xavier) be that he ends up Louisville?
Yeah I agree with this take. The potential of that team the following year after him sitting out would be off the charts and tough to pass up. But yeah ideally juco/grad. Transfer. The Louisville aspect I feel like has some moving parts depending on the NCAA violations and sanctions that are headed way.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Top flight conspiracy theory

I like it
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like a decent hire for Pitt a guy with experience knows the ACC
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote:
PillPushr wrote:I have heard Jon Scheyer, assistant at Duke, is possibly the guy for Pitt.
Close!
Has any of Coach Kmart's assistants done anything?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Close!
only one is Mike Brey
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Capel was one of those mentioned to take the Duke HC position when K retires.

They have gotten the number one recruiting class in the country several times lately.

Thank God for one and dones, or they would probably win the title about every year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Close!
Just recently off the top of my head, Chris Collins got Northwestern to the NCAA tournament last year, which is a pretty big accomplishment in some way because it was their first time ever. Woj0 has not been great at Marquette.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Mike Brey.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

In other news, it looks like Pitt has hired Duke assistant Jeff Capel to be their next head coach.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jeff-capel
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not other news. That is why were talking about Duke assistants getting head jobs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Getting head jobs? Now now TP.........
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

sevegny7 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:That would probably be a guy who I'd use a roster spot for this year, although generally my preference would be someone that could contribute next season and add a little more age and experience, i.e., a JUCO or a 5th year. Wouldn't the most likely thing (beyond him just staying put at Xavier) be that he ends up Louisville?
Yeah I agree with this take. The potential of that team the following year after him sitting out would be off the charts and tough to pass up. But yeah ideally juco/grad. Transfer. The Louisville aspect I feel like has some moving parts depending on the NCAA violations and sanctions that are headed way.
I don’t think you need to sit out if the coach leaves - or is that rule not in effect yet.
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:
I don’t think you need to sit out if the coach leaves - or is that rule not in effect yet.
Good question. I'm not sure if signing a NLOI has an affect or not. Would one have to sit a year if transferring? Can you transfer before you are officially enrolled?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:
Good question. I'm not sure if signing a NLOI has an affect or not. Would one have to sit a year if transferring? Can you transfer before you are officially enrolled?
Naji Marshall played for Xavier last year. Started about half the games and averaged about 8 ppg.

You still have to sit out a year if you transfer, even if your coach leaves. They have not changed that rule. If you have only signed a LOI, you can seek a release from your school. If you have enrolled, I believe you are treated like any other transfer (I can't recall specifically, but I believe there was a situation involving this very point in the last couple years - maybe involving an Ohio State player after Matta left and before Holtmann took over).
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow! (on the Mack news. $4 mil per year)
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
IDK, but Naji Marshall played for Xavier last year. Started about half the games and averaged about 8 ppg.
Ah, I assumed you were talking about one of our recruits or a recruit that signed somewhere but hadn't enrolled yet.

The current rule is if you transfer as a player (which Marshall qualifies) he would have to sit. They are trying to change it so that you don't have to sit a year unless you go to the same school your coach just went to.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote:
I imagine the One Shining Podcast guys will have takes on this. They always joke about Duke "dropping bags" and have hinted before about when the man hit with violations at OU went right over to became K's assistant and suddenly they were in the "one and done" recruiting game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear Big East positions are not destination jobs for all - Buzz Williams at Marquette (Va Tech), Holtmann at Butler (Ohio State), and now Mack at Xavier (Louisville). Even rumors of Willard at Seton Hall looking around.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love Chris Mack. I think he’ll kill it at Louisville. Also nice to see Luke Murray continue to rise in the ranks.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Someone (RamIt?) posted it on the New Coaching thread, but should be mentioned here:

I agree here. If you have a good succession plan in place, you should follow it. If you don't, then get one.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Johnny Dawkins never really panned out as head coach

Wow Chris Mack got a huge raise good for him
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:Yup. He was promoted to the head job from assistant. It works sometimes!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:It would appear Big East positions are not destination jobs for all - Buzz Williams at Marquette (Va Tech), Holtmann at Butler (Ohio State), and now Mack at Xavier (Louisville). Even rumors of Willard at Seton Hall looking around.

Don't tell that to the Big East fans, the ones I know anyway. There is not a better conference , better players , better coaches, so on. But, then there are the P5 football schools type money , facilities , huge schools and overall landscape of these big football schools.

With the 4 million for Mack, I believe his is doubling his salary, which I thought I read was 1.9 million. And if I am not mistaken, I believe I heard Holtmann is making 7.5 million a year at Ohio St and is now listed as the 3rd highest paid coach behind Krzyzewski and Calipari. Just like Hurley, its all about the money. Those figures would be tough to turn down for anyone .
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The big money that the BE schools get from Fox has 7 more years left to run....when that contract is up, will they continue to get that much?

The difference between PC's BB budget and ours is largely due to that 4 million a year.....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Go after this guy. Eligible immediately
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Kid can play. Even though Ivy League guy, I was not surprised at all he was going to transfer to a level like Xavier. I believe he sat out basically all year with injury. Makai Mason from Yale is a grad transfer going to Baylor too, quite a bit different culture.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need a knockdown shooter, preferably a wing imo.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote:Kid can play. Even though Ivy League guy, I was not surprised at all he was going to transfer to a level like Xavier. I believe he sat out basically all year with injury. Makai Mason from Yale is a grad transfer going to Baylor too, quite a bit different culture.
Yale...to Baylor?? Wow....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:Go after this guy. Eligible immediately
We don't even have a coach.