The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dre3000 wrote:Guys lets not get carried away! Those Uconn players are college aged young adults, out of season on a Friday night! I'm sure no one on our team was drunk last night (sarcasm). This is normal college behavior IMO.
I don't disagree, but there is a certain maturity involved in understanding optics. I'm sure whatever Hurley thinks of them partying, he'd prefer they not share it with the entire world on his first day as coach. I don't recall that ever happening during his six years here, and I'm sure our guys didn't go six years without partying. (Mike Aaman didn't go like three days, actually.)
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s a screen shot of an Instagram story posted by Corey Porter, who was out with the player. He has since removed it. He’s the photographer/videographer that puts together a lot of those video clips the players post. Lots of picture of URI players partying have been out there, as there should be. They’re in college. Most know to put them in stories, so they go away.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote:Koch asked him what insight Dan got from all of Calhoun’s visits. Dan quickly corrected him that Calhoun watched one 40 minute practice and gave the coaches suggestions about the team.
Props to Bill for asking that question.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Spin. Specifically called out only a 40 minute interaction with calhoun and only speaking to Moore about it in last day. I can believe a lot of things, but that’s not 1 of them. I was in Pittsburgh - it was already a fait accompli.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

brady1 wrote:Imagine if Hurley decided to stay the high would have been incredible but no doubt in my mind he would now take the X job. All things work out for the best.

GO RHODY!
Well, they say timing is everything .... If there was a job I could have seen Hurley leaving for it would have been the Xavier job. Hear you have a team that checks all the boxes that Hurley said he's looking for

Play in one of the top conferences
Have the ability to compete for national championships
Great history and tradition
Have been one of the top programs the past 15 years
Inheriting a program that can win right away
Making great $$

The UCONN job can only compete in salary compared to Xavier. Good luck with that coach Hurley
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shinze88 wrote:
brady1 wrote:Imagine if Hurley decided to stay the high would have been incredible but no doubt in my mind he would now take the X job. All things work out for the best.

GO RHODY!
Well, they say timing is everything .... If there was a job I could have seen Hurley leaving for it would have been the Xavier job. Hear you have a team that checks all the boxes that Hurley said he's looking for

Making great $$

The UCONN job can only compete in salary compared to Xavier. Good luck with that coach Hurley
But UConn is the job he's always wanted for some reason. He's where he's always wanted to be.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:His recruiting chops are suspect. But he gets transfers.

Mooney has lived on the hot seat.
I don't want to say that we can have an assistant that doesn't recruit at all, but it isn't like he has never recruited a good player. If Cox is the head coach and Ty is still on the staff, assuming the 4th guy can recruit some I think you could survive with Giannini as your "worst" recruiter. And like you said, he's gotten some good transfers and that is a market we haven't exploited a ton (with a few obvious exceptions).
He would be a good coach to have for sure. This is what I think is so interesting. IF it is indeed Cox, great. Who does he staff up with. Can he bring back a legacy? Does he double down on the DMV area. Or is someone else entirely.

I think our players being nice guys goes a long way in recruiting. Their passion for the game, the school, and each other is authentic.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:

GO RHODY!

Making great $$

But UConn is the job he's always wanted for some reason. He's where he's always wanted to be.

UConn is his dream job so he says today...does anyone really believe this..I guess time will tell. I am thrilled he got us where we are, but I don't believe much of what comes out of his mouth.. PS leave our players alone...
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If it’s Cox I’d to see him hire an ex head. If he’s such a great recruiter stay involved to a greater degree than most heads and let the ex head assistant now do a lot of the day to day head coach stuff. Needs an ex head to help him into the day to day. But what do I know I’m a nitwit on a silly internet bullet board. Well off to work on a Saturday before I spend the hole day here got to make a little extra doe send 1018 or 2018 to the RIRIA because Thorr and The men that played basketball for RHODY in 2017-18 deserve our donations.

GO RHODY!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I am kind of over the Hurley story. The only thing I think about him is -- he is competing with us now. Maybe not in 3 years, but for the next 18-24 months he is. We are trying to continue our rise and he is trying to pick Uconn up off the mat. That puts them down in our sphere and us up in their sphere.

I feel bad that he has to kind of hurt people he must care about to do something he cares about, which isn't remotely close to a crime or something actually bad.

There was clearly hypocrisy, but that is how it goes in all sports. Finally put the fairytale to bed. The other thing is DH was always and Thor and Dooley were always going to have their efforts in contrast to Carrothers and Baron. The way Jim Baron ran URI basketball is not a good representation of what URI basketball is/was/could be. I think we are back in our space and can further elevate.

WE are just getting started!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ram1980 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Shinze88 wrote: Well, they say timing is everything .... If there was a job I could have seen Hurley leaving for it would have been the Xavier job. Hear you have a team that checks all the boxes that Hurley said he's looking for

Making great $$

UConn is his dream job so he says today...does anyone really believe this..I guess time will tell. I am thrilled he got us where we are, but I don't believe much of what comes out of his mouth.. PS leave our players alone...
Eh...I think 'location'...specifically 'the Northeast' had a lot do with it as well. I don't think Pitt was ever a serious consideration and don't think X would be either...but like the other poster said...what do I know, am just another nitwit on a message board... :lol: :lol:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Hearing Hurley gush about UCONN in his introduction speech yesterday, I get the feeling he's been fantasizing about that opportunity for quite some time now. At one point in the video there was a clip of him walking through some old gymnasium with UCONN's president...and he's gazing up at the jerseys in the rafters with such wonderment in his eyes you'd think he was touring Pauley Pavilion or Allen Fieldhouse for god's sake. Lol gimme a break already.

The period when Calhoun was there was impressive, no doubt about it, but what was UCONN before and now after him? Nothing. Just another basketball program in Storrs CT. When I hear Hurley talk about the rich history and prestige and branding that drove him to UCONN, I chuckle a bit. When I hear the words history, prestige, branding, I'm immediately thinking of teams like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, UNC, Duke...transcendent teams that have been good FOREVER. Sorry, UCONN isn't even a thought in my head, but clearly Dan feels differently about them.

He had everything going here. Strong team in place, great recruiting class coming in, commitment from Thorr and Dooley to invest in the program, strong fan support. Could have built his OWN legacy here. Instead of trying to BE Calhoun, he could have been the NEXT Calhoun. Now all he's doing is living in the man's shadow, and he'll never reach the heights that Calhoun did. Never. But hey, if this is his "dream situation" as he said yesterday, then good luck. We're grateful for your contributions, but Rhody nation is moving on without you.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Look, let's forget what we thought about Hurley, all the "family" BS he spouted, all the gushing about the Storrs Leg-humpers. At the end of the day, he turned out to be just another car salesman.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Watching Hurley, I think everyone should have even more respect for Mark Few. First of all, I think you talk to anyone in basketball and they will say he is an excellent x and 0"s coach, tactician recruiter and a very good and honorable man.

Dan famous quote was he wanted to build Gonzaga of the east. Well, I think he certainly had the program going in the right direction. Whether he could have got to that point is obviously questionable. But, Mark Few has spurned offers from bigger schools and stayed at Gonzaga in the WCC which is not even the A 10. No huge fancy arena. I realize they are a P 5 program in other ways, charter flights, infrastructure so on, but he could have easily walked away for more money in a big time conference. But he stayed, got to the finals last year and arguably should have won it all. When you think great teams every year you think Duke, NC, Kansas , KY so on, but you also think Gonzaga. That is where he brought a small school in a 2nd rate conference. He is a true man of honor and integrity, not a phony who talks a good game like most others.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

GO RHODY!
Ace what are your thoughts on this if you are willing to answer?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123 wrote:

GO RHODY!
He’s consistently, since he got into coaching years and years ago, named 3 programs that he would dream of leading. UConn is one, Xavier is not.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

GO RHODY!
He’s consistently, since he got into coaching years and years ago, named 3 programs that he would dream of leading. UConn is one, Xavier is not.
What were the other two? His alma mater is one, I would imagine?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I want to thank Ace for all her input into Keaney Blue.....we will miss you if you follow Dan to the Boneyard.....I appreciate all Dan did for us while he was here.....he will always be a pleasant memory to me.....like Harrick and Penders.......he could have stayed here and become the most important coach in the history of the University of Rhode Island....but he didn't love us in that way....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting item of note - if the NCAA sanctions UConn for violations prior to Hurley coming there, he will automatically get an additional year extended on his contract. It sure would be nice if Dan soon got that extra year of security. ;)
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe Syracuse???
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The love of money took us out of contention. The thing that surprises me the most is how he has kind of attached himself to Calhoun who was the most arrogant coach I can remember seeing on TV. He tried to be a big bully toward the refs and and dropped f-bombs like there was no tomorrow. I don't mean in practice but in games on TV. It must have been a treat sitting close to the Uconn bench. Also, as we all know he was a cheater and did not give a crap about the academics of his players. The NCAA caught him cheating toward the end of his career and I am sure there were other instances that were never uncovered.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

eli#10 wrote:The love of money took us out of contention. The thing that surprises me the most is how he has kind of attached himself to Calhoun who was the most arrogant coach I can remember seeing on TV. He tried to be a big bully toward the refs and and dropped f-bombs like there was no tomorrow. I don't mean in practice but in games on TV. It must have been a treat sitting close to the Uconn bench. Also, as we all know he was a cheater and did not give a crap about the academics of his players. The NCAA caught him cheating toward the end of his career and I am sure there were other instances that were never uncovered.

The love affair with Calhoun will eventually end just as it did with his former player and previous hand picked successor. Calhoun will meddle and Dan will get tired of not being able to run the program on his own. There will ultimately be a falling out and Calhoun will stab him in the back. In the short term however, old Jim can teach Dan all the different ways to cheat.

Hurley would be wise to always have his back to the wall at UConn and never turn around.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Spin. Specifically called out only a 40 minute interaction with calhoun and only speaking to Moore about it in last day. I can believe a lot of things, but that’s not 1 of them. I was in Pittsburgh - it was already a fait accompli.
I finally listened to that media scrum this morning. He said that Calhoun stopped by one of the workouts in the summer which is specifically untrue - the basketball twitter account posted a picture of Calhoun at practice on October 17, so either he came by more than once or the one time he did come by wasn't at a workout in the summer. Not that this is the biggest deal in the world, but it is another example of the disregard for honesty in an attempt to try to paint things a specific way.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They do make strange bedfellows, Dan and Calhoun.
The infamous now quote, takes no more than a 1st grade analysis to find 2 points that are in conflict with his actions. That coaches should worry less about championships AND less about professional ambitions. He then cited those as his two main reasons for leaving. BS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote:They do make strange bedfellows, Dan and Calhoun.
The infamous now quote, takes no more than a 1st grade analysis to find 2 points that are in conflict with his actions. That coaches should worry less about championships AND less about professional ambitions. He then cited those as his two main reasons for leaving. BS
He said 'coaches' should worry less about those things. Pretty sure he meant 'other coaches', not himself.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Spin. Specifically called out only a 40 minute interaction with calhoun and only speaking to Moore about it in last day. I can believe a lot of things, but that’s not 1 of them. I was in Pittsburgh - it was already a fait accompli.
I finally listened to that media scrum this morning. He said that Calhoun stopped by one of the workouts in the summer which is specifically untrue - the basketball twitter account posted a picture of Calhoun at practice on October 17, so either he came by more than once or the one time he did come by wasn't at a workout in the summer. Not that this is the biggest deal in the world, but it is another example of the disregard for honesty in an attempt to try to paint things a specific way.
He also quipped something about a round of golf... so who knows how many rounds they’ve played...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamIt! wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
He also quipped something about a round of golf... so who knows how many rounds they’ve played...
October 17
Maybe he meant "Indian Summer"?

But agree, I'd be shocked if it was only a single Calhoun visit. Appearing that this could have been in the works for much longer than just a day or two. Networking as they say
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

GO RHODY!

I would have been much less disappointed if he went to X.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

[quote="Rhode_Island_Red"]Look, let's forget what we thought about Hurley, all the "family" BS he spouted, all the gushing about the Storrs Leg-humpers. At the end of the day, he turned out to be just another car salesman.[/quote
.......with cases of snake oil in the trunk.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

:roll:
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Hearing Hurley gush about UCONN in his introduction speech yesterday, I get the feeling he's been fantasizing about that opportunity for quite some time now. At one point in the video there was a clip of him walking through some old gymnasium with UCONN's president...and he's gazing up at the jerseys in the rafters with such wonderment in his eyes you'd think he was touring Pauley Pavilion or Allen Fieldhouse for god's sake. Lol gimme a break already.

The period when Calhoun was there was impressive, no doubt about it, but what was UCONN before and now after him? Nothing. Just another basketball program in Storrs CT. When I hear Hurley talk about the rich history and prestige and branding that drove him to UCONN, I chuckle a bit. When I hear the words history, prestige, branding, I'm immediately thinking of teams like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, UNC, Duke...transcendent teams that have been good FOREVER. Sorry, UCONN isn't even a thought in my head, but clearly Dan feels differently about them.

He had everything going here. Strong team in place, great recruiting class coming in, commitment from Thorr and Dooley to invest in the program, strong fan support. Could have built his OWN legacy here. Instead of trying to BE Calhoun, he could have been the NEXT Calhoun. Now all he's doing is living in the man's shadow, and he'll never reach the heights that Calhoun did. Never. But hey, if this is his "dream situation" as he said yesterday, then good luck. We're grateful for your contributions, but Rhody nation is moving on without you.

I'm not happy about this, but when you talk of a rich history and prestigious school you will always be in someone's shadow...Wooden, Dean Smith, Coach K., Boeheim... Like you said I wanted him to create a legacy here, but I wouldn't want him to be the NEXT Calhoun here. I think Calhoun is kind of a douche. Chalk one up for Danny...he's now a douche too.

I wonder what would have happened if UCONN didn't up the ante in the 12th hour and the offers were substantially the same? Would he have still gone? I honestly don't blame him for leaving. His salary is 50% higher than what URI would have given and it does set up a nice life for his grandchildren. What bothers me is buying into everything he said before about family and how the NCAA needs a cleanup. And now they add that the family loves Storrs? Are you freakin' kidding? They live in or near Narragansett and they think Storrs is beautiful. Shut up Dan. Just shut up.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
RF1 wrote:If Schmidt leaves SBU, the A-10 may soon have just three (out of 14) coaches that were at the helm of their schools just four seasons ago.

Martelli-St Joe's
McKillop-Davidson
Mooney-Richmond
This was brought up before. What exactly keeps these these boys from leaving?
.......the first two are already in their destination jobs, the last one is awaiting his launch pad season in the A-10......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

https://www.departures.com/travel/resta ... america#14

After the discussion here this week, I simply HAD to click and share.

Spoiler: pepe's is on the list, but Rhody is represented too.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitt message board is interesting these days......

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/ ... onn-offer/
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Don't ask me why I am scrounging twitter for content on a Saturday night. Might be because the pace of this basketball game is so brutal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Don't ask me why I am scrounging twitter for content on a Saturday night. Might be because the pace of this basketball game is so brutal.
Maybe the contract isn’t signed and he’s thinking of coming back... (so you’re telling me there’s a chance....)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha unfortunately I don't think that's in play.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

"Welcome to New England"

tf?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:"Welcome to New England"

tf?
Ha I soooo almost tweeted at that guy. I looked at his profile, and he's a fucking moron so I just let it go.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:"Welcome to New England"

tf?
Ha I soooo almost tweeted at that guy. I looked at his profile, and he's a fucking moron so I just let it go.
Ha!! I would thinks so, when you call yourself Dave the Rave. What a jackass! Tweeting at him would be a waste of time
steviep123
Sly Williams

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/c ... d3625.html

(Courtesy BillyBoy78 in the New Coaching Search thread)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I love Oats. I think the guy really has "it."
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Detroit just parted ways with their head coach. Possible head gig for Preston?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good always nice to see a good coach stick around for a while.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Retrievers are my second favorite college basketball team.
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni
Carlton Owens

rhodyblue12
ARD