David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ace »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago We're a great stepping stone.
Most of the good teams in the conference kind of are, though. It’s an A10 thing, not a Rhody thing. Recently, Shaka and Archie found out that it’s not always the easiest or right move. Grant and Ford landed in the conference from the other direction.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There’s always a better job. Besides 6-10 programs everyone is a stepping stone. Look at Beard winning big at Texas Tech and bolting for Texas at the first chance. A football coach left Notre Dame, freakin Notre Dame. More money or brighter lights will always be a draw. But it’s much better to have someone leave because they succeed than to have someone who stays bc they have no other options.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..what are the selling points of the URI that would attract coaches?…….serious question…..…..remind me of what a great job the Rhody job is……..
Passionate fan base on keanyblue.com.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There’s always a better job. Besides 6-10 programs everyone is a stepping stone. Look at Beard winning big at Texas Tech and bolting for Texas at the first chance. A football coach left Notre Dame, freakin Notre Dame. More money or brighter lights will always be a draw. But it’s much better to have someone leave because they succeed than to have someone who stays bc they have no other options.
The only difference with some schools is that they can pay away their hiring mistakes.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There’s always a better job. Besides 6-10 programs everyone is a stepping stone. Look at Beard winning big at Texas Tech and bolting for Texas at the first chance. A football coach left Notre Dame, freakin Notre Dame. More money or brighter lights will always be a draw. But it’s much better to have someone leave because they succeed than to have someone who stays bc they have no other options.
The only difference with some schools is that they can pay away their hiring mistakes.
I've been trying to get in touch with the wine magnate, but he keeps hanging up on me!!!!!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You could be Pitt fans. Capel managed to get a two year extension in 2020 that extended his contract through 2027. Watch enough Stallings and Capel and you might feel grateful for Cox.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
What about that extension you're begging for?
Cox will become a very good coach some day. URI could wait, get him some mentoring and extend him until "some day" arrives. But, it is apparent that he was not ready to develop into a winning coach in the short term when he was hired. URI has mostly been a stepping-stone job and we cannot wait too long for someone to develop before moving on.

Cox's hiring and failure to develop is a reflection on Thor's performance as an AD. Do we trust him to make a better decision in the future? The hiring of a head MBB coach is the most important decision URI's AD will make. It is irrelevant that DH recommended Cox or that Calhoun recommended JD. Thor failed here and there should be consequences.
What could possibly make you write that "Cox will become a very good coach someday"? He is no spring chicken, and in his four years here has taken a program that achieved historic success and driven it into the ditch. He has poor in-game management skills, can't get his players to stop making the same dumb mistakes over and over, and is extremely thin-skinned when questioned about his repeated mistakes. There is absolutely nothing in his performance at URI that warrants optimism.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
What about that extension you're begging for?
Cox will become a very good coach some day. URI could wait, get him some mentoring and extend him until "some day" arrives. But, it is apparent that he was not ready to develop into a winning coach in the short term when he was hired. URI has mostly been a stepping-stone job and we cannot wait too long for someone to develop before moving on.

Cox's hiring and failure to develop is a reflection on Thor's performance as an AD. Do we trust him to make a better decision in the future? The hiring of a head MBB coach is the most important decision URI's AD will make. It is irrelevant that DH recommended Cox or that Calhoun recommended JD. Thor failed here and there should be consequences.
What could possibly make you write that "Cox will become a very good coach someday"? He is no spring chicken, and in his four years here has taken a program that achieved historic success and driven it into the ditch. He has poor in-game management skills, can't get his players to stop making the same dumb mistakes over and over, and is extremely thin-skinned when questioned about his repeated mistakes. There is absolutely nothing in his performance at URI that warrants optimism.
Pete. This guy is very obviously a troll. For a while. It should be obvious by now. Please stop being taken by these obvious and over the top takes.

He’s one of the best. This take was hilarious.
Treat it as such.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t mind us being a stepping stone program we almost always have been

The key thing is hire the right guy let us get some success like Big dances then he leaves and make sure you nail the next hire

Just don’t get into a CFL situation
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I think I’m more likely to be named head coach of the Rams than Bobby.
We'll take you, Ace!
At this point I'd take my parent's golden retriever as head coach and he scares himself with his own farts.
I'm here to let you know this is by far the funniest comment I've ever read on this board. EVER. :lol: :lol:
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..what are the selling points of the URI that would attract coaches?…….serious question…..…..remind me of what a great job the Rhody job is……..
Jersey/Long island girls, matunuck oyster bar, and the exclusive narragansett town beach?
:lol:
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago One thing's for sure: Cox has taken the fun out of driving from Providence to Kingston.
……..the “fun” of driving, parking fees, crowd types, etc from Narragansett to Down city is going, going, gone……
I'm with you on that. There was a stabbing at the frigging Biltmore (well "the graduate") last night. Providence is a mini Chicago. Way to go Eloozer!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago One thing's for sure: Cox has taken the fun out of driving from Providence to Kingston.
……..the “fun” of driving, parking fees, crowd types, etc from Narragansett to Down city is going, going, gone……
I'm with you on that. There was a stabbing at the frigging Biltmore (well "the graduate") last night. Providence is a mini Chicago. Way to go Eloozer!
Every time I try to come back to this board, I am reminded of why I shouldn’t.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey/Long island girls, matunuck oyster bar, and the exclusive narragansett town beach?

As a Gansett townie, I will confidently tell you, there's a group of Boomer Elitists who don't want anyone from north of the tower on the beach. This town ain't exclusive no matter what anyone paints it as
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

As a Gansett townie, I will confidently tell you, there's a group of Boomer Elitists who don't want anyone from north of the tower on the beach. This town ain't exclusive no matter what anyone paints it as
Oh i know. That’s why I said it.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Every time I try to come back to this board, I am reminded of why I shouldn’t.

I get it, it's a flex to disagree with my comment, but I am not wrong. Born and raised in Providence for the first nine years of my life. I'm also there a lot for business purposes. It's simply not a good city. It is what it is.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Oh i know. That’s why I said it.
The town isn't what it used to be. Lots of Karens. It's lost its charm and is nothing but condos for people from Connecticu*t and Cranston. I like Cranston so I don't want to knock on it, but you get what I mean.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Thor fired Baron who you wanted to get extended.
100% false. As for Cox, I was opposed to his hiring because he wasn't ready. Thor got what he paid for.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I give Cox credit for being able to recruit the talent we have. But his inability to deploy that talent and develop it further in order to win is unbelievable. He acts like a coach of a youth league team ensuring every kid gets to play. I guess he feels that he has made commitments to recruits that he has to honor. But, this is not what coaching at this level is all about. But, it maybe how he is able to recruit the talent we have.
I’m not sure we have as much talent as we thought we had…
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago No way I'm renewing my tickets if things continue on this path.

I’m with you! Said that yesterday to my buddy and we have 8 tix together…
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

really good facilities (and no, I’m not counting the mythical practice facility); a generally good location especially for those coaches with northeast/DMV recruiting connections; a conference that can be frustrating but is at least being proactive with adding Loyola; potential for competitive salary; recent proof that you can get to the tournament and win (2018 today is a lot better than 1999 in 2012); success in Kingston can lead to a better job if it’s what you want (I’m sorry, that sucks, too, but it’s also good); a former coach that, if asked by a candidate, would have a lot of good things to say; a budget that is at least in the top half of your conference (or it was last time I checked)
When Dan first got here, Bob Sr. called URI a 'sleeping giant'. You just have to have the right person in charge. We were on our way with Dan, but we're now back in hibernation. We need to find the next Dan Hurley, if there is one out there.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago
Other than Thomas and Malik, no player has met or exceeded expectation this season. They haven't developed. I think we have the talent to be in the top third of the A10 but not the way it is being deployed.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

“Good first half, intensive. URI coaching needs help.” Quoted from my friend who is a PC season ticket holder.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I had a lot of faith in the program when DC was hired as head coach. Unfortunately, the trajectory has headed in the other direction. Between the number of departures of players every year, and not even being in the realm of being an NCAAT team, it has definitely become frustrating. Even with the assistant coaches, I don't think we've seen the tenacity that is necessary to keep the team at the level Hurley had us at. Glad it was a wonderful stepping stone for him to land at UCONN, and I know Dan obviously loved his time here. I want the same level of excitement in the program that we had just a few years ago. Now it feels lethargic, and I even feel lethargic as a lifetime fan. I didn't go to the game yesterday - I had zero desire to. I do not feel for a second that I missed out on anything. I cannot stand PC and their bandwagon fans in this state are even worse. It's embarrassing that year after year Rhody has to be regarded as the underdog for these games. We are the state's flagship university and PC is simply a small Catholic liberal arts college where you go to become a teacher or get a paper pushing state job, big whoop.

It has been the same conversation for years and years - Gonzaga of the East... or oh when we get that new coach the team will be a guaranteed ticket to the tourney. The donors who have stepped up and so generously given to the program deserve a ton of praise. I cannot wait for that practice facility to open, finally. We need another Hurley type coach.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Other than Thomas and Malik, no player has met or exceeded expectation this season. They haven't developed. I think we have the talent to be in the top third of the A10 but not the way it is being deployed.
Who’s expectations? The skewed expectations from some who think any player who chooses to wear Keaney Blue will be an A10 All team selection? You can have whatever expectations you want, but if they aren’t made with a realistic look at things, they should not be considered valid. Berry can’t get off the bench even after 1.5 years in the program. Faleye has played strictly because of the foul problems. Carey left Syracuse for a reason and now we get to see why firsthand. El Amin and Malik came from lower conferences/teams. Samb is redshirting. When was the last big man FR we got that contributed their first year? I know bigs take longer to develop but ours seem to always start below basement level.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We’ve had great coaches who had success here and other places

Kraft
Penders
Skinner
Harrick
Hurley

Let’s find another like those , Cox isn’t the answer long term he will be a top assistant at a P6 or maybe a head coach at lower level D1
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Matt Langel...Colgate.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

Pete. This guy is very obviously a troll. For a while. It should be obvious by now. Please stop being taken by these obvious and over the top takes.

He’s one of the best. This take was hilarious.
Treat it as such.
You're right friend. I'm so pissed at our ineptitude I can't discern trolls.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Matt Langel...Colgate.
I brought Langel up earlier in this thread. I looked at the team’s record this year and I don’t really know what to make if it. They beat Syracuse by 15 and had a close loss to NC St. On the other hand, they lost to Cornell and Harvard. They’re 3-5 overall. They play Columbia tonight and an 0-3 record against the Ivy League is not something that would get the coach on anyone’s radar.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Langel is 44 years old been at Colgate since 2011 and before that was an assistant at Temple and Penn , what you guys think ??
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Langel is 44 years old been at Colgate since 2011 and before that was an assistant at Temple and Penn , what you guys think ??
………..Colgate HC does not do much for me……..what is his record there as HC?……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wouldn’t get my engine started
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago No way I'm renewing my tickets if things continue on this path.

I’m with you! Said that yesterday to my buddy and we have 8 tix together…
With the home schedule and the team's outlook, that was an easy call to make before this season. Glad I did.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Langel is 44 years old been at Colgate since 2011 and before that was an assistant at Temple and Penn , what you guys think ??
………..Colgate HC does not do much for me……..what is his record there as HC?……..
…….looked up his record at Colgate……..to be fair and semi informed……..I would move to a definite maybe category……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Well the temperature of this thread certainly changed - huh!?

Some of you were so desperate to defend this inept coach of ours that you actually got salty about the title being written in all CAPS. Amazing what losing to PC will do for you.

So lets spark this thing! Speed this bus up! What can we do? Billboards? Go Fund Me's? Emails to the wine dude? Print out all 10 pages of this thread and overnight it to Thorr and Cox? If we are going to blow it up and start over - lets like REALLY blow it up. I personally want the university to make sure we hire the right guy, with the right staff. Let them know that this fanbase isn't going to sit by and take their empty promises and "easy, feel good story" hires.

I am fired up!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Well the temperature of this thread certainly changed - huh!?

Some of you were so desperate to defend this inept coach of ours that you actually got salty about the title being written in all CAPS. Amazing what losing to PC will do for you.

So lets spark this thing! Speed this bus up! What can we do? Billboards? Go Fund Me's? Emails to the wine dude? Print out all 10 pages of this thread and overnight it to Thorr and Cox? If we are going to blow it up and start over - lets like REALLY blow it up. I personally want the university to make sure we hire the right guy, with the right staff. Let them know that this fanbase isn't going to sit by and take their empty promises and "easy, feel good story" hires.

I am fired up!
Well 2 of the most outrageously out of touch pro-Cox posters were the same guy, and he/they are gone.

The remaining anger gives me hope that this fanbase has actual expectations for success and isn’t ok with another Baron run.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Well the temperature of this thread certainly changed - huh!?

I am fired up!
Well 2 of the most outrageously out of touch pro-Cox posters were the same guy, and he/they are gone.

The remaining anger gives me hope that this fanbase has actual expectations for success and isn’t ok with another Baron run.
Who are they?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

I am fired up!

Who are they?
DC Rams and TJ Rams are the same person. DC Rams said he was leaving. Then all of a sudden, TJ Rams comes on and says he’s a new poster. He’s pretending to be nicer than DC, but I could tell it was him. I ask TJ Rams if he is DC Rams. TJ Rams says “No, I'm more reserved than DC Rams”. Blueman asked the mods to confirm that.... TJ was lying. He's always been DC Rams.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

I am fired up!

Who are they?
DC Rams and his sad alter ego TJrams91

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I don't disagree that they were likely the same person - but to be fair I did check back and TJ did have posts going back a couple of years. I don't know why he/she said they were a "new" poster, if one can simply click on their name and note they have posts going back a couple of years. Obviously that proves nothing and it seems the mods figured it out and gave "them" a suspension.

I get it. DC/TJ is probably a personal connection to the coach and want him to succeed. Maybe their intensions are good and want to give us info. Who knows. But none of us want to be in this position. We wanted Cox to succeed and I'm hoping beyond reasonable expectation at this point that he figures it out and turns it around quick. No one wants to see him and the team fail and be mediocre. But it's what we are at this point.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I don't disagree that they were likely the same person - but to be fair I did check back and TJ did have posts going back a couple of years. I don't know why he/she said they were a "new" poster, if one can simply click on their name and note they have posts going back a couple of years. Obviously that proves nothing and it seems the mods figured it out and gave "them" a suspension.

I get it. DC/TJ is probably a personal connection to the coach and want him to succeed. Maybe their intensions are good and want to give us info. Who knows. But none of us want to be in this position. We wanted Cox to succeed and I'm hoping beyond reasonable expectation at this point that he figures it out and turns it around quick. No one wants to see him and the team fail and be mediocre. But it's what we are at this point.
Sounds like the mods saw they used the same login, hence the suspension. It's sad because he was clearly doing that for years. A lot of us may be wrong on some takes. May be hysterical and emotional, maybe even too invested in a game played by college kids..but sue me, I'm a fan.

At least none of us were so pathetic that we needed to have a burner account on an A-10 team's internet message board to defend our friend or family member.

His biggest complaints were always personal against posters who dared to put the team above Dave Cox.

This board is full of fans who just want the team to be good. Not a player. Not a coach. The team. The team that's been here since 1903. Not the coach or player who's here for a cup of coffee.

He never understood that.

And yet, I am yet to see one single poster say anything negative about Dave Cox the person. Because there really isn't anything negative to say about him. He's a hard worker. A great role model. A phenomenal family man. A great representative of the University. A great part of the community. Literally everything you hope the coach of your flagship program would be...except the good head coach part.

Maybe that's why there's been such a hard divide here among the fire cox and the "it's somehow not his fault" crowd, because he is such a good guy. And legitimately we all want him to be successful. No one is rooting against Dave Cox the person. No one is rooting against Dave Cox the coach even, because him sucking means we suck.

But now it should be pretty clear despite his amazing character, that we need a change. Not because of who he is...but just because he's not that good of a head coach.

I doubt the next head coach will be as good a person as Dave Cox, but as long as they're a better head coach I think we'll be ok with that.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I don't disagree that they were likely the same person - but to be fair I did check back and TJ did have posts going back a couple of years. I don't know why he/she said they were a "new" poster, if one can simply click on their name and note they have posts going back a couple of years. Obviously that proves nothing and it seems the mods figured it out and gave "them" a suspension.

It was DC Rams. The mods confirmed it. Unless I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they did.... If you look at the posts from 2 years ago, you can see it's him. TJ comes the day after DC was banned for a week after we lost to Maryland. Saying Kentucky should "FIRE CAL" after they had a bad season to mock our fans. Randomly bringing up recruiting info. TJ comes on yet again the day after DC Rams says he's leaving.. He's supporting Cox and calling people like myself and Blueman miserable.. It's blatantly apparent once you do some digging...

DC Rams was cruel and rude to many people on here, so I am not going to say his intentions were good. One thing to debate and have a disagreement. It's another to bully and joke about people's mental health. Calling them idiots and all this other immature shit. We only have one person that consistently went over the line, and it's him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

he can take his personal connections, shine it up real good and nice like, turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it where the sun don't shine.

it's business, nothing personal.

you want personal? call yo mama.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

really good facilities (and no, I’m not counting the mythical practice facility); a generally good location especially for those coaches with northeast/DMV recruiting connections; a conference that can be frustrating but is at least being proactive with adding Loyola; potential for competitive salary; recent proof that you can get to the tournament and win (2018 today is a lot better than 1999 in 2012); success in Kingston can lead to a better job if it’s what you want (I’m sorry, that sucks, too, but it’s also good); a former coach that, if asked by a candidate, would have a lot of good things to say; a budget that is at least in the top half of your conference (or it was last time I checked)

Close by, beautiful and historical Amtrak station for East access to Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC.

Beautiful and very Safe Campus - something players and especially parents love to see

Beautiful Ryan Center - a facility I appreciate even more after visiting other schools. Easy to take for granted after 20 years.

An excellent student studying and support program

Wide range of sports programs including Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc. Not just a Basketball School

Good size University with a wide range of majors and becoming a stronger and stronger research Institution

I’ll post an update on the “mythical practice facility” in a separate thread to share what I know.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….can I add a challenging University environment of funding commitment to Athletics, and State legislative support to build and grow the basketball program in its current conference…….?
……..obviously not a selling point, but a reality a new coach would be facing……..no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck.

Cox keeps doing the same thing and getting the same results. Taking PG's off the ball and putting them on the wing. Putting scoring guards on the ball. This doesn't work. Go to a Maryland message board and see how much they love Fatts.

We need to move on. Where the dial lands is irrelevent right now because we dont know who truly is available until March.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck.

Cox keeps doing the same thing and getting the same results. Taking PG's off the ball and putting them on the wing. Putting scoring guards on the ball. This doesn't work. Go to a Maryland message board and see how much they love Fatts.

We need to move on. Where the dial lands is irrelevent right now because we dont know who truly is available until March.
Which board are you going to where you see this? Maryland boards have been a tough place from what I’ve seen.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck.

Which board are you going to where you see this? Maryland boards have been a tough place from what I’ve seen.
Here's one post "Fact: Turge failed to recruit a PG to replace Cowan.

Fact: Due to that failure he had to go to the portal and take what was available. What was best available was a short, poorly shooting, defensive liability, turnover prone point guard. If you don't think this is true please check his stats both at RI and since he joined us. He is what his stats say he is. Fact."

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 29/?page=3
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Here's one post "Fact: Turge failed to recruit a PG to replace Cowan.

Fact: Due to that failure he had to go to the portal and take what was available. What was best available was a short, poorly shooting, defensive liability, turnover prone point guard. If you don't think this is true please check his stats both at RI and since he joined us. He is what his stats say he is. Fact."

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 29/?page=3
Yep. That’s what I’ve seen, complaints about his recruiting then having to go transfer portal. Fans are not happy especially after yesterdays loss to Northwestern at home.

There is a lot of discussion on Russell’s performance at Maryland to date in the Fatts to Maryland 35 page KB thread. Some posters have put up quotes from the Maryland Message board.

viewtopic.php?t=8320
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I was squarely on the side of give Cox a chance this year - but I am definitely leaning the other way now. I didn’t get walker’s lack of minutes last year and I don’t get the lack of PT for Thomas this year. You find a diamond and then bury it on the bench? He may not even be that great of a player, BUT he is doing the things that the team needs to play better together. I like Jeremy and the Ish’s. They are good combo guards. 3 combo guards does not make a PG.