The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Bobby Hurley doing well in the transfer portal, also recently got a commitment from Robert Morris star forward A.J. Bramah (21 pts/ 10 rebs./ 51%FG)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Coaches get praised for doing it, players get criticized.

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Heath is a solid offensive player who "struggles defensively", to put it nicely. But if anyone can get him to play D, it's Bobby. He adds that to his game and he'll be a solid piece at ASU.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Coaches get praised for doing it, players get criticized.

I think that has changed. I think most people get that there is going to be player movement and criticism of that is fading....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago Coaches get praised for doing it, players get criticized.

I think that has changed. I think most people get that there is going to be player movement and criticism of that is fading....
Still can’t stand him for when they didn’t return that game against us but he sure can coach
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Still can’t stand him for when they didn’t return that game against us but he sure can coach
He sure helped us avoid an ass whooping though...so there's that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

16 ppg 6’3 guard shot 31 % from 3
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago 16 ppg 6’3 guard shot 31 % from 3
Nearly 10 % points higher than Fatts.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

His prior two years were better from 3. He also shot 88% from the FT line (good for closing games).
Not a bad option
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

VMI transfer Parham committed to South Alabama
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

His father Kahlid had a nice college career at UConn, started at PG on the 99' national championship team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh wow that’s his son
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Damn I wanted Parham..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago VMI transfer Parham committed to South Alabama
That's a head scratcher.

I guess he wants to go to another irrelevant school to be the star at.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

At this point it is probably safe to assume that Cox intends on renewing scholarships for all who intend on playing college basketball next year otherwise they would be registered.
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not sure if I should be posting every time another "possible" transfer pops up- but Jonathan Mcgriff of St. John's just entered the transfer portal. A 3 star PG who redshirted his first year, and then saw spot minutes this past season behind talented freshman Posh Alexander. He is a DMV kid, and as we know the staff has deep ties in the region. He is smallish, left handed quick pass first PG who can really handle the basketball. With that said I haven't seen play in a few years, so I don't know if he'd be looking to play at our level or maybe a step below. Schools like VCU, Kansas State and Rutgers where on him the first time around.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Not sure if I should be posting every time another "possible" transfer pops up- but Jonathan Mcgriff of St. John's just entered the transfer portal. A 3 star PG who redshirted his first year, and then saw spot minutes this past season behind talented freshman Posh Alexander. He is a DMV kid, and as we know the staff has deep ties in the region. He is smallish, left handed quick pass first PG who can really handle the basketball. With that said I haven't seen play in a few years, so I don't know if he'd be looking to play at our level or maybe a step below. Schools like VCU, Kansas State and Rutgers where on him the first time around.
Very similar in size to Fatts, high energy, quick, disruptive, not a big scorer. Played against good competition prep level and medical redshirt freshman year at SJ with shoulder surgery.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hearing whispers that Kellan Grady is committing to Kentucky.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Hearing whispers that Kellan Grady is committing to Kentucky.
He did.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago We didn't make the final 3.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketbal ... 163307628/
His statement eliminated us right off the bat.

He wanted a good, stable staff.

Getting someone who could really help at the PG position could be tough.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago

Here you are again with yet another staff dig. Grow TF up.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

You do realize there is a portion of the fan base that wants this staff fired, right?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

George Washington transfer Jamison Battle commits to Minnesota

By RYAN JAMES 39 minutes ago

Six-foot-7 forward Jamison Battle is the first Gopher commit of the Ben Johnson era. Moments ago Battle announced his commitment giving Johnson one of the best shooters in the transfer portal. The 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward averaged 17.3 points and 5.2 rebounds a game last year at George Washington. Battle has been hearing from a long list of schools including Butler, Marquette, Xavier, Tennessee, Arizona, and others. Battle scored the 17.2 points a game this year shooting 47.5 percent from the floor. At GWU Battle was a career 36.3 percent three-point shooter.

“I’m excited, it’s hard to pass up the opportunity to play at home,” Battle said. I’m excited to go. When I called Ben, he was hyped. And I’m hyped. It’s been in my head for two or three days that I’ve know I want to be a Gopher. I just feel the time is right. This feels great. Coach Johnson said I was the first person to put two feet in and that’s a great feeling. I know he is excited. I am excited and I’m ready to get going.”

Battle was recently named one of the top ten available transfers in America so the interest was strong, but the appeal of playing at home overcame thoughts of any other programs.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Seriously?!? When does your annual break start? Who have you spoken to that has indicated we don't have a stable staff? I'd love to meet you and catch a game one day, as based on your all knowing statements you must be in gyms all summer long talking to decision makers.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

You do realize there is a portion of the fan base that wants this staff fired, right?
I feel like the fringe wants the staff fired (now). Most fans want results from the staff and team next year. If not, we can have serious talks about making changes.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

Seriously?!? When does your annual break start? Who have you spoken to that has indicated we don't have a stable staff? I'd love to meet you and catch a game one day, as based on your all knowing statements you muse in gyms all summer long talking to decision makers.
How the hell is our staff stable? Did Cox get an extension? We have a coach whose seat is hot, and the chances of all our assistants coming back are slim to none...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Seriously?!? When does your annual break start? Who have you spoken to that has indicated we don't have a stable staff? I'd love to meet you and catch a game one day, as based on your all knowing statements you muse in gyms all summer long talking to decision makers.
How the hell is our staff stable? Did Cox get an extension? We have a coach whose seat is hot, and the chances of all our assistants coming back are slim to none...
Hot seat says who? Beyond the three fringe members of the board who is saying he is on the hot seat? Are they the same people that wanted Hurley out of here? CFL 2.0??

Look, at the end of the day college coaching at this level isn’t a “stable” job. A majority of coaches are a 6-23 season away from being removed. Pressure to won? Sure. But hot seat? Please cite your sources because I’d appreciate seeing some evidence beyond the crazy rantings of Gandy, I mean Rambone...
Last edited by Bos8 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Next year will be the key year if we are about .500 or worst I can definitely see a change made
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Next year will be the key year if we are about .500 or worst I can definitely see a change made
Its NCAA or BUST baby. No dance no chance for Cox.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Insane how many people on this board suddenly became okay with bad to mediocre results. NCAAs next year or move on.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Joe Bamisile to George Washington. Good pick up for them.
Lots of kids heading to South Alabama. What's going on down there? Six free agent signings so far, four from P5 schools.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Joe Bamisile to George Washington. Good pick up for them.
Lots of kids heading to South Alabama. What's going on down there? Six free agent signings so far, four from P5 schools.
Hmmmm. Can probation be far behind?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Joe Bamisile to George Washington. Good pick up for them.
I found that curious also about South Alabama, in addition they have 3 HS/prep commits, total 9 new players.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
I found that curious also about South Alabama, in addition they have 3 HS/prep commits, total 9 new players.
Wow! Is that still Richie Riley? They were using a "hashtag" of Burn The Boats. Maybe they took that quote to the extreme?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
They must pay well.
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Was it a scandal and worth investigation when Rhody had 5 transfers and 3 freshmen in 20-21? Richie Riley is a good young coach. Why wouldn’t guys want to play for him? He’s had experience as an assistant since 2003 and has been a head coach since 2016.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago Was it a scandal and worth investigation when Rhody had 5 transfers and 3 freshmen in 20-21? Richie Riley is a good young coach. Why wouldn’t guys want to play for him? He’s had experience as an assistant since 2003 and has been a head coach since 2016.
Agree Ace, he just turned 38 and considered one of the young rising stars in coaching. He did turn that program around and last year (19-20) won 20 games, first time in over 10 years.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Old Dominion star PG Malik Curry just entered the portal, this season averaged about: 16 pts/ 4 rebs/4 assists/ 46%FG.
He is from De., I wouldn't mind us getting involved with him.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hot seat says who? Beyond the three fringe members of the board who is saying he is on the hot seat? Are they the same people that wanted Hurley out of here? CFL 2.0??

Look, at the end of the day college coaching at this level isn’t a “stable” job. A majority of coaches are a 6-23 season away from being removed. Pressure to won? Sure. But hot seat? Please cite your sources because I’d appreciate seeing some evidence beyond the crazy rantings of Gandy, I mean Rambone...
So you honestly think 100% of the coaching staff is returning next year?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I kind of view this as something of a semantics debate. Do I think Cox's seat is hot right this moment? No, because short of a scandal, he's coming back for 2021-22. Might he switch an assistant or two? Maybe, but I doubt Thorr said to him, "Fire an assistant or I'm firing you." Do I think he's in danger of being fired if he finishes under .500 next season? Absolutely. I don't know what the chance would be, since there are too many variables in play this far out.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cox can't have another down year. If you think he can and Thorr will be ok with it, you're wrong.

My original question to you was how our staff is stable? Do you think all our assistants come back? I don't. Why did our women's coach get extended immediately, and Cox hasn't? We can argue if that is hot or not, but it's about to be April, and we are recruiting with a coach that still doesn't have an extension. Do you realize what that looks like to recruits? Unstable. It puts Cox at a huge disadvantage, and if Thorr is willing to risk that, then Cox is 100% on the hot seat. I hope he does get an extension because I want him to land a great recruit, so we have the chance of a bid next year, and Cox can save his job. I want him to succeed; I don't think it will happen.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
I would agree with what Stephen said above. I don't want to assume 100% of the staff is returning. There is a lot of turnover among college jobs. I also don't want to assume that Cox is happy with the performance of the staff. Who knows, maybe there is a Burgeron situation going on with a staff member. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable saying everyone is coming back. Cox interacts and works with these guys every day. It's up to him to select who is comfortable working for him.

BUT I don't think Thorr would mandate that Cox change his staff short of some sort of NCAA violation or something major. And I wouldn't think Cox (or many other head coaches) would feel comfortable with an AD that mandates that. Cox could certainly sit down with Thorr, and talk about the staff members and their performance. Thorr has been around college athletes for a long time, and I am going to assume that Cox would value his input.

But at the end of the day Thorr hired Cox to run the program, which includes hiring the staff. If an AD is demanding to make staff changes, where is the line? Is Thorr demanding a 1-3-1 zone? Is Thorr demanding to run the 3 man weave every day in practice? Is Thorr demanding to do more reverse lay ups in individual workouts? I doubt it... Hire the person, put everything in place that you can for them to meet the expectations you have, and support them as they attempt to do it. If they don't get it done, then move on.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I would agree with what Stephen said above. I don't want to assume 100% of the staff is returning. There is a lot of turnover among college jobs. I also don't want to assume that Cox is happy with the performance of the staff. Who knows, maybe there is a Burgeron situation going on with a staff member. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable saying everyone is coming back. Cox interacts and works with these guys every day. It's up to him to select who is comfortable working for him.

BUT I don't think Thorr would mandate that Cox change his staff short of some sort of NCAA violation or something major. And I wouldn't think Cox (or many other head coaches) would feel comfortable with an AD that mandates that. Cox could certainly sit down with Thorr, and talk about the staff members and their performance. Thorr has been around college athletes for a long time, and I am going to assume that Cox would value his input.

But at the end of the day Thorr hired Cox to run the program, which includes hiring the staff. If an AD is demanding to make staff changes, where is the line? Is Thorr demanding a 1-3-1 zone? Is Thorr demanding to run the 3 man weave every day in practice? Is Thorr demanding to do more reverse lay ups in individual workouts? I doubt it... Hire the person, put everything in place that you can for them to meet the expectations you have, and support them as they attempt to do it. If they don't get it done, then move on.
Try not to make too much sense, it’ll go over their heads.
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

Didn't Thorr do this with the Football program recently forcing the coach to get rid of his own son?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Try not to make too much sense, it’ll go over their heads.
I was wondering how long it would take for one of your daily insults. Bos8 and I can have a disagreement and discuss it, but you need to come on here and throw one of your jabs right?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING