Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The NCAA only cares about $$$. Education??? Not on the list.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love all of our newcomers !!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

this from the 'fansided' article posted by DC...

"The two big men should have a large impact on the Rams if they are eligible for any part of this upcoming season."

which I found interesting, I get that they were still enrolled at Maryland spring semester, but fun speculating.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tyrese had “great ball movement?” Since when?
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese had “great ball movement?” Since when?
Yeah I liked Tyrese’s game but good passing wasn’t part of it.
Slava Ukraini!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
Yup. He was master of the 1 on 3 fast break(up).
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Are these comments you would be saying about Tyrese if he was still here? How can anyone take seriously positive comments about present players when you trash them when they leave?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

"Go to him. Ride him until the wheels fall off." - Coach Cox on Fatts

Is this the type of team that a quality players wants to join and a coach you want to play for? And to think I was being facetious in suggesting to team practice passing the ball to Fatts. I want a Coach who will lead a TEAM!
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Are these comments you would be saying about Tyrese if he was still here? How can anyone take seriously positive comments about present players when you trash them when they leave?
I liked Tyrese as a player and wish he was still here. It’s just that passing wasn’t a strength of his. I didn’t trash him.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Are these comments you would be saying about Tyrese if he was still here? How can anyone take seriously positive comments about present players when you trash them when they leave?
I simply asked a question, albeit it was sarcastic because we all know Tyrese didn’t have great ball movement. Either the writer of the story didn’t watch him too closely these last two years or he just flat out fabricated that line.

If any article came out when Tyrese was here saying he had great ball movement, pretty sure everyone on the board would still have said it was false.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago "Go to him. Ride him until the wheels fall off." - Coach Cox on Fatts

Is this the type of team that a quality players wants to join and a coach you want to play for? And to think I was being facetious in suggesting to team practice passing the ball to Fatts. I want a Coach who will lead a TEAM!
Who gave you the Internet?
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good stuff nice that Cat Mobely and Quinn Cook spoke with the team
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago "Go to him. Ride him until the wheels fall off." - Coach Cox on Fatts

.......Al Gore?....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

.......Al Gore?....
21D1FD69-9EBD-438B-B2F5-B27DDF9C7FED.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Tyrese might not have passed off on the fast break but nobody passed to him either. I’ve never seen a team have so many 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 breaks and no passes made. Players wanted to pad their own point totals (except for Dowtin)

Passing was not our strong point in 2019-2020
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Tyrese might not have passed off on the fast break but nobody passed to him either. I’ve never seen a team have so many 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 breaks and no passes made. Players wanted to pad their own point totals (except for Dowtin)

I thought there was a rule change last year...seemed like it was in effect across the country, not just at Rhody:
"Guy dribbling on the break...shoots it."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I thought there was a rule change last year...seemed like it was in effect across the country, not just at Rhody:
"Guy dribbling on the break...shoots it."
That would explain it
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

After six years at the helm of Rhody basketball, Hurley feels as though the team is in good hands.

"Dave I think has done a masterful job in the off-season at rebuilding that roster and the work that he's done with Fatts. The level that he's taken Fatts' game to," explained Hurley.

https://turnto10.com/sports/content/bac ... lry-with-p
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You damn kids get off my Interwebs!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good thing the entire roster is from out of state. Otherwise they likely couldn't live on campus.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Good thing the entire roster is from out of state. Otherwise they likely couldn't live on campus.
There's quite a few football players from RI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They are allowing for exceptions for Rhode Island residents to live on campus. Must make your case as to why it would be a hardship. 60 RI residents have been approved already.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago They are allowing for exceptions for Rhode Island residents to live on campus. Must make your case as to why it would be a hardship. 60 RI residents have been approved already.
Name: RJsuperfly66
Psuedonym: Karen
Reason For Exception: You are infringing on my civil liberties. You let me on campus or else I'm gonna go the NK Walmart without a mask on again, and when they say I can't go in, I'm gonna Facebook Live it, get tens of views, and be invited on the Tucker Carlson show and not need your stupid education anyways.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Just a bit of news I heard and wanted to share it. Fatts was working out hard and week or so ago he tore his hamstring. Nothing too serious but should be fine after several weeks. He just started doing small workouts again. Also can watch DJ at the organized workouts by will levison in providence below.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Bumping this up to the top. So now that the Mitchell’s are eligible what is everybody thinking on depth chart?
Below is my initial take assuming Carey is eligible and Martin is not (my base case).

G - Fatts - Berry
G - Shep - Leggett
G - Carey - Johnson
F - Harris - Walker
F - Mitchell - Mitchell

Could have a lot of different lineup possibilities with this depth.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

9 man rotation

G - Fatts, Sheppard & Carey
SF - Malik & DJ
PF & C - Harris, Makhi, Walker, Makhel
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just a very talented group. Hopefully they reach their potential.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

If there is a season it might have been better if Carey sat and kept the extra year of eligibility with Fatts and Sheppard there at PG. I agree he will get the waiver, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world with all the players that will need time also. Granted they could look at different possibilities for their lineups with three point guards in the mix
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago 9 man rotation

SF - Malik & DJ
Ish is going to play. Berry will a bit as well.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SF - Malik & DJ
Ish is going to play. Berry will a bit as well.
Didn’t say they won’t play. Don’t think they will be part of a regular rotation. Could see a chance for Ish. Especially if Carey isn’t fully recovered. I don’t see Berry getting many minutes. Injuries can always change that.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This season is going to be great! Hope we can all see it in person.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......pencil us in for a top contender for the A-10, that is, IF there is a season......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

St. Louis and Richmond still look like the clear favorites for winning the A-10, they are both loaded with all conference talent. URI still has a lot of unknowns including how all the new faces will mesh together and if Sheppard, Walker, Harris and the Mitchell twins play up to their potential. We are probably in the next tier with Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, and possibly Duquesne. It is still way to early to predict because many teams still waiting on waiver requests. If our other waivers are granted that would greatly increase our chances of contending for the conference title. My concern is if the OOC games are cancelled, the mid-level conferences would get very few tournament bids. These teams wouldn't get the opportunity to prove themselves against the power conferences and get national exposure. Conferences like the A-10 would probably only get 2 bids at most. All this is only conjecture because there is a chance the entire season may get cancelled anyway, but it gives us something to talk about.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

SF - Malik & DJ

Why do we think Malik is so locked for a waiver? He has zero argument to recieve on. DJ and Shep are huge unknowns. Walker may fall to 4th on PF/C depth chart. Was not very impressive most of last year. Carey as a former top 50ish recruit could easily jump Shep.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My 2 cents is URI could be as high as 3rd and as low as 7th. I do think SLU and Rich are the favorites with Dayton right behind.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

SF - Malik & DJ

Why do we think Malik is so locked for a waiver? He has zero argument to recieve on. DJ and Shep are huge unknowns. Walker may fall to 4th on PF/C depth chart. Was not very impressive most of last year. Carey as a former top 50ish recruit could easily jump Shep.
Closer to home
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Thread updated. Shaping up to be a well balanced team.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

College basketball is becoming even more of a joke.
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago If there is a season it might have been better if Carey sat and kept the extra year of eligibility with Fatts and Sheppard there at PG. I agree he will get the waiver, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world with all the players that will need time also. Granted they could look at different possibilities for their lineups with three point guards in the mix
In an ideal world, sure. But as a coach, the way college basketball is, nothing is guaranteed beyond this year. Red-shirting (or having someone sit out) only increases the chance of a graduate transfer. Would rather have someone play 15-20 positive minutes a game this year, and 30 minutes a game then sit out this year (contributing nothing), 30 minutes a game the following year, then grad transfer the year after that.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It would be great if Jalen is ready this year, that gives us three experienced guards. I would rather Fatts play 30 minutes then 38. I think he would be more effective that way.

Also, for the first time maybe ever, I am not worried about the roster the next year. We are set for at least 2 years with a team that looks loaded with talent.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

SF - Malik & DJ

I disagree about Walker. It's not easy to transfer, sit half the year, and then play your way into a rotation as a sophomore. He definitely needs to improve his defending, but he'll be a solid piece to this team the next two years. In the 8 games he played 20 or more minutes he averaged about 8 and 5.

No one will easily jump Sheppard. He's a stud...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
RamStock wrote: 3 years ago If there is a season it might have been better if Carey sat and kept the extra year of eligibility with Fatts and Sheppard there at PG. I agree he will get the waiver, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world with all the players that will need time also. Granted they could look at different possibilities for their lineups with three point guards in the mix
In an ideal world, sure. But as a coach, the way college basketball is, nothing is guaranteed beyond this year. Red-shirting (or having someone sit out) only increases the chance of a graduate transfer. Would rather have someone play 15-20 positive minutes a game this year, and 30 minutes a game then sit out this year (contributing nothing), 30 minutes a game the following year, then grad transfer the year after that.
Responding to RamStock. They aren’t three PGs. They are all CGs. Sheppard is a shooter. One of the big issues last year was the lack of G depth. There was no one behind Jeff and Fatts. They tried Tyrese at SG but he was too slow to defend a G. It wIll be great to have a three G rotation without having to count on a Freshmen.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 down. 1 to go. Malik Martin.
rhodyfan3000