Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potential

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potentia

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ever notice that great dribblers bend at the waist when they dribble?
EC dribbles totally upright, which doesn't shield the ball at all.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, and that results in his dribble being too high, exposing the ball even more.

I would think the staff has been working with him on that, but old habits are hard to break. He's been playing ball for a long time, even at his age.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Seems really unfair to so harsh on EC. We all gotta remember hes playing with an injury that is famous for making it very hard to perform at near 100%. yes, he does need to work on the Turnovers. However I can not help but think it's at least in part injury related. Remember he is basically the same age as your average Freshmen this year also..

Hassan is nothing like those undersized NBA PF. Almost all the successful ones were monster rebounders who were much bigger. Hassan would need to really improve his shot and perimeter game as he would only be looked at as a SF/PF hybrid Jeff Green type in the NBA. I could see him doing really well overseas however where smaller athletic big guys often shine.

Terrell has been the best player on the team for 5 of the past 7 games. It's way to early to talk NBA but if his recent play is truly indicative of the level he is currently at, then i imagine we will hear NBA talk next season.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

To me, Hassan needs to rev the motor a little more like Kenneth Faried to be successful in the NBA at this point. They are similar in size and body style. The difference is that I think he has more potential to hone his skills than Faried but is not the rebounder he is.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Faried? That would be amazing if Hassan was that good. The Manimal was on team USA.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As much as I love Terrell, he's a little too small to play SG in the NBA. Although I wonder if his body type and strength could offset some of that lack of height.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, we love these guys and this team, but let's not get
carried away.
Faried was the number one rebounder in the NCAA in his senior season.
He's also is the all time rebounder in NCAA history.
He averaged a double double for his collegiate career.
14.5 rebounds a game as a senior. He could score, too.
17 ppg and 17.3 in his last two seasons.
Second team All American.
A truly great college player, who starts in the NBA.
Terrell could play PG in the NBA. He has the attitude.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

JT reminds me of Joe Dumars. Gets to the rim and can hit the outside shot. Oh yeah,
He is also a killer on defense. Just like joe Dumars. So yeah he can play the two at the next level.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Only compared Hass and Faried for size and potential playing style. Not saying Hass is on that level. I do think he could be more skilled offensively in time though. Keaney colored glasses I guess.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not sure when this new rule would go into affect, but we could see EC at this combine in May. He then would be able to make a decision after it:

Underclassmen would be able to participate in a new invitation-only combine in mid-May that would enable NBA teams to evaluate players and then offer feedback on their draft prospects. The pool would include all draft-eligible players: seniors, underclassmen and international players.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It would be for the 2016 draft, so I'd expect EC would be invited to this combine a year from now.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Whoa. Joe Dumars is in the Hall of Fame. Was 38% from NBA three land. All-Pro, All-star, All-defense. I'd be happy if JT was first team A-10. NBA Point Guard? Holy Cow.

Now, I think Hassan has Manimal upside. I'm telliing you guys. Hassan will be a lottery pick.

EC. Don't see him ever being a first rounder. He'll stay four years. Rhody All-timer. Europe for ten years making a ton of cash.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

So we currently start both Joe Dumars and Faried, with an also ran 10yr European vet? wow!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I didnt say he was Joe Dumars. I said he reminds me of Joe Dumars. I never said he was a point guard.

I guess we can hear from you the next time we lose right buddy.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Smokinjimit wrote:I didnt say he was Joe Dumars. I said he reminds me of Joe Dumars. I never said he was a point guard.

I guess we can hear from you the next time we lose right buddy.
Canard. Saint Joe's was the last game! And I haven't been in a game thread in quite a while. Swore off them. I do like a good debate, though. I love how I am a villain when I post HM is a lottery pick and EC is a four year star. But, say JT is not a HOFer (or PG as someone else said) and I am the man in the black hat. Oh well.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Martin is a very good college player; but he's not a lottery pick. I'd be shocked if he got drafted
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sean, I think he has a chance to get drafted as a lottery pick in a year or two.

He has to develop a mid range game. He will get the opportunity to do that, when we get someone in the middle so he can play the 4, where he belongs.

He is a little undersized for a 4 true. If he was only about 2 inches taller......
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

If he was two inches taller I'd agree with you.
Classic tweener
I'm amazed at how active he is in the paint at his size
He'd have to immensely improve his ball handling and midrange game; and do it this year. Otherwise when he's a senior, the knock will be he's a four year player
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

As of now....the only NBA player around here is Kris Dunn......I don't see anyone else....including EC....unless there is tremendous improvement next year.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The main problem with Hassan Martin is our lack of a real center.
Hassan will never develop the in game skills he needs to project
himself at the next level.
I don't care if he blocks 10 shots a game. He's not a center, and it's
a disservice to him to remain one.
Gilvydas says Martin has a load of weapons that he doesn't display in games.
He has no plays run for him on a steady basis.
Find a center, and encourage Hassan to use those not yet seen weapons.
He too much of a team player to make an issue of it, but
as long as he's glued to the paint, he won't realize his potential.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That's a problem that needs to be rectified next year. Hassan is a BEAST and must be kept UNLEASHED!!!!!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

EC will be good enough if his ball handling gets better. A lot better. Shooting too. However, the longer EC stays in Rhode Island the better for us!
I can easily see him making a huge jump next year and being fantastic. He's got the work ethic. He's learned a lot this year.
If we can pick up some kind of decent center we could be a top 15 team the whole year next year easy. That also depends on whether or not our core four will be able to make shots!
Hass will castrate people next year if we get a center.
So much potential for next year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PRT, I'm trying to picture that second to last line of your post, but it's not working for me... :o

EC, Jared, and Jarvis will all improve their shooting next season. Hassan's? He's fine. Just needs to take more shots.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

This is nothing new. I thought that this was common knowledge, but I guess not. I remember seeing him in mock drafts as early as last year; I remember a few nationally televised games, the scouts were raving on him, and were saying he's got NBA written all over him. I could see if URI wins the tourney, and makes a really late run in the NCAAs, he could choose to enter the Draft while his value is really high. It wouldn't be smart at all for him to enter after this year, but it is still a possibility.
I actually think that he is even better than the scouts think he is because he has to do a large portion of the scoring, and needs to be "the guy" on offense. In the NBA, he could be useful as a spot-up shooter, and has the size to be a 2 guard. Isn't really that bad on defense either.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

860_rhody wrote:This is nothing new. I thought that this was common knowledge, but I guess not.
This thread was started in October.

There's also this from the Adidas camp over the summer, if you're interested-

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... ws#p145051
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

After watching E.C. play this year, it wouldn't surprise me if he is at URI for all four years. In my opinion, he's talented, but has a ways to go before he's good enough to get good playing time in the NBA.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Sorry to continue derailing the Matthews thread, but additional thoughts on Martin:

Hassan does have nice form on the few times I've seen his perimeter shooting. Once we do get a prototypical center, I would not be surprised to see him make a decent amount of 15 to 17-footers. This would help him even more on the pick and rolls, where his defender cannot automatically assume he is rolling towards the rim after setting a screen.

I think his upside is a Udonis Haslem. He is one guy who has lasted 10+ years in the league as a 6'8" center in the NBA (granted, taller guys like Shaq and Bosh on the Heat during his tenure have allowed his lack of height not to be exposed to a great extent). In looking at the below stats I was actually surprised at how low the block/rebound numbers were for Haslem, thought he played bigger in college.

Here are Haslem's college stats:

GP MP FG% FT% RPG AST STL BLK PPG
1998-99 Florida SEC 31 21.3 .603 .592 5.0 0.8 0.7 0.7 10.5
1999-00 Florida SEC 37 22.4 .579 .639 5.1 0.9 0.8 0.8 11.8
2000-01 Florida SEC 31 28.1 .597 .709 7.5 1.0 0.8 1.0 16.8
2001-02 Florida SEC 31 28.3 .562 .694 8.3 1.6 0.9 1.3 16.0

Career Florida 130 24.9 .584 .666 6.4 1.1 0.8 0.9 13.7

Hassan's stats thus far:

GP MP FG% FT% RPG AST STL BLK PPG
2013-14 Rhode Island A-10 32 25.8 .536 .535 5.7 0.4 0.4 2.5 6.3
2014-15 Rhode Island A-10 29 28.6 .640 .595 7.7 0.4 0.8 3.0 11.9

Career Rhode Island 61 27.1 3.6 6.0 .596 .574 6.7 0.4 0.6 2.7 9.0

So let's see how Martin progresses especially on the offensive end this coming year, as this was when Haslem's biggest leap occurred. There was actually a gain in efficiency as his PPG almost doubled this year. Probably not sustainable, but I would be thrilled if he could step up to the 15 PPG range while still shooting 55-60%.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

But note even if Hassan makes these improvements, Haslem went undrafted (surely due to "tweener" perceptions) and had to pay his dues and make further improvements before sticking in the NBA full time.