Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Is there still any talk about having beer/wine sales at the RC? I'm not sure if having a dry Ryan Center is a leftover from the Carothers era or not. I'm guessing the revenue generated from beer/wine sales would probably go to Global Spectrum, and not the university? Either way, I think it's a good idea. It would also help bring in more music acts (besides the EDM foam shows that seem to always be on campus).
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Taylor, the Ryan Center is far from dry. This past year, there were multiple events outside basketball where beer/wine was sold. The decision is done on an event-by-event basis.

I think the idea of general beer sales to men's basketball patrons (in addition to existing sales in the Alumni lounge and suites) is always on the table. Probably something that needs to be done the right way, whatever that ends up being.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Oops. I must not get out much, other than bball games! The Alumni Lounge is great, but I think that the demographic is a little different than the demographic that represents this board. Lots of older folks, which is great, obviously. I just think that the RC being opened for 10+ years now, and still no booze sales during games?

I see your point on 'done the right way', I know that other venues I've been to... it's no out of state licenses if you're under 25, only two beers at a time (who can carry more than that anyway), etc... I just hope it's not a liability thing.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The alumni lounge needs to start serving cocktails. Us older folks need a G and T or two just to get outta bed :D
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote:The alumni lounge needs to start serving cocktails. Us older folks need a G and T or two just to get outta bed :D
Youd think with what we pay to get in there the beer would be a lot cheaper than 7 bucks...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:The alumni lounge needs to start serving cocktails. Us older folks need a G and T or two just to get outta bed :D
Youd think with what we pay to get in there the beer would be a lot cheaper than 7 bucks...
Exactly. What the hell is up with that?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have seen the quality of the food their going down from last year to this, not expecting 5 star, but more than 1/2star.....apparently the freight rate going up there for next year?.....may have to rethink that expense.....price of drinks a bit high.....but, I guess that deal is not for everyone.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't go into the alumni lounge....but I am disappointed with the food at the concession booths at Ryan....too pedestrian in their choices...and don't get me started with the fact that Dunkin Donuts is major sponsor at Ryan and you cannot get a cup of their coffee in the building....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Does Moes offer food at the RC? I know learfield does work with vendors and the people from nelligan just went to training so there should be some new concessions coming.
Give me football or give me death
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The food at the RC is really bad. I don't buy it anymore. I do have to say that the young folks working behind the line are first rate. They do a great job with a smile. Last game I stopped at International and grabbed a gyro for the game. I said to the guy they should have a booth at the RC. He said that would never happen. I wonder why. As the International blows away anything sold now
Last edited by theblueram 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Bring in Moe,s and Five Guys......and "three all the way...."
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Moes sponsors us why wouldn't they have like a burrito night or something. I know burger shack gave out food for madness. And students want food that isn't from the dining hall. And yes 105 three all the way.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Exactly. What the hell is up with that?
People are willing to pay $7 for beer at an event - supply and demand. Also, from an arena's perspective, they'd rather sell one or two beers at $7 than more than that at a lower price point, just because there is a lower risk of drunken behavior that way.
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Taylor Swift wrote:Is there still any talk about having beer/wine sales at the RC? I'm not sure if having a dry Ryan Center is a leftover from the Carothers era or not. I'm guessing the revenue generated from beer/wine sales would probably go to Global Spectrum, and not the university? Either way, I think it's a good idea. It would also help bring in more music acts (besides the EDM foam shows that seem to always be on campus).
They sold beer out of the concession stands at the last country concert Justin Moore a few weeks back. All I had to do was go show my ID and get a bracelet to prove I was of age. I was able to buy 2 beers and take to my seat. It was a great concert and from what I could see no issues.

Also most people don't know this but any money generated by Global Spectrum for any event goes back to the university. They covered it in an intro to event management class I had a few years back ran by Michelle Currari. We actually had a class down at the Ryan Center one day.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like we're doing the burger thing again...

University of Rhode Island Rams

Rhody students make sure to come by the Burger Shack NOW until 2:30pm for your chance to meet Coach Hurley and win a delicious BUCK ($1) BURGER! Come by and try your luck in a free throw contest, refereed by Coach Hurley himself. Knock down 1 out of 3 shots, and win a burger of your choice for just a BUCK! The Burger Shack -- Where everything comes with Fries!
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

They should have done this earlier in the season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if they gave kids tickets to the game at the same time?
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

We no longer get tickets you show up to the game and they swipe our student IDs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, hopefully, the kids who got burgers and got to meet Dan will at least go to the game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody4012016 wrote:They should have done this earlier in the season.
Maybe, but coaches don't just hang out all the time. Their schedules are crazy if they're doing their job correctly.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ten students made up the pep band. That's embarrassing for a school the size of URI. PC's band probably has 30 or more.
I mentioned it to THorr once and he said there wasn't anything he could because that was a different dept.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Exams hurt, right before spring break.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Also, many other schools provide scholarships for band members. URI doesn't.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I said to Ram1019 last night that I feel the same way about the pep band as I do about football. Hurry up and improve or cut the cord. I am embarrassed to have recruits come watch a game and listen to that, its painful. My highschool pep band was better.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Actually, when they had the Cranston East Band earlier in the year,
they WERE better. Several people said so.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The band, I think some in arena bands have some adults that are not students, I could be wrong, but the PC band seems to have couple of members that seem old for students....maybe someone needs to rethink this...... Aren't the current pep band group also members of That Ram Band??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the pep band members have to go to a certain number of games (men's and women's combined) to get credit for the semester. I do not know if there was some other function for the band last night (concert or something along those lines)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

They receive 1 credit per semester I believe. Could be wrong.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

If they can't get enough people to be in the Pep Band, then maybe the music department should seek volunteers like from either high school bands or elsewhere? It just looks silly with only 10 people. I understand its most likely midterm week, but this seems to be an on-going issue.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote:If they can't get enough people to be in the Pep Band, then maybe the music department should seek volunteers like from either high school bands or elsewhere? It just looks silly with only 10 people. I understand its most likely midterm week, but this seems to be an on-going issue.
The thing is, I'm not sure if the Music Department really has much of a vested interest in making sure there is a fully-staffed basketball pep band. Unfortunately, to sound like a broken record, I think this is something that "fixes" itself when the team starts racking up wins again. If athletics wants a full band before that, then they probably need to offer some incentives, like $25 per member per game, or take that amount off their tuition bill, or something along those lines.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Rhody Guy wrote:They receive 1 credit per semester I believe. Could be wrong.
I actually think they get 1/2 credit--which would explain a lot.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:If they can't get enough people to be in the Pep Band, then maybe the music department should seek volunteers like from either high school bands or elsewhere? It just looks silly with only 10 people. I understand its most likely midterm week, but this seems to be an on-going issue.
The thing is, I'm not sure if the Music Department really has much of a vested interest in making sure there is a fully-staffed basketball pep band. Unfortunately, to sound like a broken record, I think this is something that "fixes" itself when the team starts racking up wins again. If athletics wants a full band before that, then they probably need to offer some incentives, like $25 per member per game, or take that amount off their tuition bill, or something along those lines.

True. I can understand the need to incentive in addition to whatever course credit they may receive. Just seems that we always have a full Marching Band in the fall, and we all know how the football team has performed for the past few years.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

What are they going to do with half a credit or 1 credit for that matter. URI 101 is one credit and you have to take that for once semester your freshman year. The band should get more than 1 or half a credit.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Something needs to be done with the band. Either improve it or get rid of it. It's embarrassing to listen to sometimes especially on a Saturday game when half the band is home and there's 3 flutes and one 3rd trumpet playing the national anthem.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

It's weak!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Whatever the solution, please do something. Right now, it's embarrassing.
This doesn't seem to be a problem with cheerleaders and Ramettes. They seem to care enough to show up. Why can't we get that buy-in from the band?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Why doesn't URI just give the band an ultimatum? Get your shit together and field a real band or we will bring in high school bands for each game. I'm sure the local high school bands would like the exposure plus its a bigger stage than what they are used to. Not to mention, URI's pep band is hardly ground breaking, high school bands will do as good of, if not better job than the current rag tag pep band.

But yeah as currently consituted our band is a joke. Might as well have no band than 3-6 people we currently call our pep band. As far as I'm concerned URI should have sent the pep band with Baron to Canisius where mediocrity is accepted.

By the way, I hear the LED ribbon around the upper deck is still on the to do list for this offseason. Also, I heard they will be replacing the replay monitor by the big opening in the corner of the Ryan Center and putting up a much bigger screen, does anyone know if this is happening this offseason?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There are supposed to be some announcements along those lines, STC, coming soon. Makes sense to replace the old 4:3 ratio screen in the Southern end of the building with a HD, 16:9 LED display that can give our nice in-house videos some due justice. It's kind of sad watching our great pump and intro videos on the relatively small screen. Even WORSE if you usually look up at the even smaller screen in the North end of the building.

LED ribbon will pay for itself in time, since, like the upgraded video-enabled scorer's table, they can sell ads there that are worth more $$ since they're dynamic and can catch a fan's eye. The ribbon would be great cuz they can show stats I always have to look up on my phone like FG %, Rebounds, etc etc etc.

It may be that the center-hung scoreboard isn't something that can be done just yet due to cost, even if it may now be physically possible to hang one using modern LED screens which are much lighter than the alternatives we had in 2001 (too damn heavy).
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

section(105) wrote:I have seen the quality of the food their going down from last year to this, not expecting 5 star, but more than 1/2star.....apparently the freight rate going up there for next year?.....may have to rethink that expense.....price of drinks a bit high.....but, I guess that deal is not for everyone.....
The food (while never great) has gone down considerably in quality. I took a buddy of mine to a game and he ordered a pizza. When I started to laugh he asked why. I told him you'll understand when you open the box. He opened it and just shook his head. The thing wouldn't be filling for a toddle never mind an adult.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ugh! I had a hamburger once at the RC. It was made of rubber, and the bun was left over from
when CFL was here. It literally fell apart, trying to eat it.
My daughter said her pretzel yesterday was stale.
Hot dogs? $3.50 each.
I saw a woman with chicken tenders and fries. I think she had to take out a mortgage for that.
We went to International before the game, and had some nice food for
less money than eating the RC fare.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think Dan Yorke grew into the role, and told him so after the game.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My daughter is in the Portsmouth High band. There are over 150 kids in it, and they are really good. I'd bet they would love to play at some URI games.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Concessions will improve next season.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:My daughter is in the Portsmouth High band. There are over 150 kids in it, and they are really good. I'd bet they would love to play at some URI games.
I can see getting them down to a game, but I think staffing around 15 games a year with high school bands isn't really tenable, given the general budget situation of the state. Who's paying to bus them down there? If it's URI, they might as well just spend that money on 5 to 10 professionals. What about for the Wednesday games that run from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. roughly, once you factor in when the kids are going to get home and what not? As is, most schools just have a winter concert and that's it. I'm fine with doing it a few times as a community outreach / fun experience for the kids, but I don't think it's something you could run full-time.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Can't speak much on basketball, but I know my college hockey cheers. Few do it better than Cornell, as evidenced by this goalie call:

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody401.....what is the concessions will improve statement based on?......just asking
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Concession service needs to improve too. I don't blame the students -- they need someone who supervises them and makes sure things are running smoothly. I gave up and left the line during the last game.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:Rhody401.....what is the concessions will improve statement based on?......just asking
I heard something along those lines as well. Maybe something related to having Learfield (formerly Nelligan) to get us a good contract with a new food vendor. I could be way wrong, but could be true.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Section 105 and ATP it is based on the fact of our new partner learfield they specialize in concessions. When I found out what they did I went through their website and they talk about their concessions over and over again. And after the Nelligan workers went for training they said that there would be some changes next year.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the confirmation, Rhody4012016