General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by CamsRams »

Two. Rhode Island. Small forward Mekhi Long is a four star wing ranked in the top 100 nationally. Long had 6-7 major conference offers but on signing day he selected the Rams. Shooting guard Gregory Hammond out of Louisiana is a top 300 high school product and Jacob Toppin had earned five high major offers prior to committing. Coach David Cox is beginning his second year as leader of the program and he has excellent talent to carry into the future.

https://www.prephoops.com/2019/07/prep- ... 5-classes/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CamsRams wrote: 5 years ago Two. Rhode Island. Small forward Mekhi Long is a four star wing ranked in the top 100 nationally. Long had 6-7 major conference offers but on signing day he selected the Rams. Shooting guard Gregory Hammond out of Louisiana is a top 300 high school product and Jacob Toppin had earned five high major offers prior to committing. Coach David Cox is beginning his second year as leader of the program and he has excellent talent to carry into the future.

Can you find a rating service that has Mekhi as a top 100 rated recruit? I can’t.
247 - #284
Rivals - not rated nationally
Verbal Commits - not rated nationally
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 5 years ago Two. Rhode Island. Small forward Mekhi Long is a four star wing ranked in the top 100 nationally. Long had 6-7 major conference offers but on signing day he selected the Rams. Shooting guard Gregory Hammond out of Louisiana is a top 300 high school product and Jacob Toppin had earned five high major offers prior to committing. Coach David Cox is beginning his second year as leader of the program and he has excellent talent to carry into the future.

Can you find a rating service that has Mekhi as a top 100 rated recruit? I can’t.
247 - #284
Prephoops has Long Ranked #95

https://www.prephoops.com/2019-national-rankings/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wow. No way Long is Top 100. He was the 5th or 6th best player on his AAU team.
No real rating service has him in the top 200.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Heck yeah. #95. I like it.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Yeah was surprised.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI at #2, St Louis at #5 and LaSalle #9 and in Top 75 Nationally.
Five. Saint Louis. Terrence Hargrove Jr had offers from New Mexico and Missouri but went with the Bills who were the first to offer. The 6-foot-7 wing headlines a group that also includes point guard Yuri Collins – a top 200 three star prospect – and shooting guard Gibson Jimerson who was at Montverde Academy last winter. Seven foot center Jimmy Bell is another top 500 get for Coach Travis Ford.

Five More

Loyola Chicago. Top 70 national group is led Marquise Kennedy and Tom Welch lead the class.
UNCG. Commits Dericko Williams, Keyshaun Langley, and Kobe Langley are all ranked in the top 300 of the Prep Hoops 2019 rankings.
Pacific. Four man class with three top 300 level 2019 talents highlighted by Jonathan Salazar and James Hampshire.
LaSalle. Findlay prep small forward Sherif Kenney is ranked 159th overall, he and Brandon Stone give LaSalle a top 75 class nationally.
Missouri State. Head Coach Dana Ford landed four Prep Hoops top 500 players with Isiaih Mosley being the top member of the group.
JustKenny
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JustKenny »

I know you guys want as much information about your incoming players as possible. Khi is a blue collar player. He's talented, but he puts in the work. He's never been given anything, nor got a pass nor the full PR press from these top AAU programs. He accomplished a lot, all under the radar without a lot of fan fair. It's hard to be so talented and not get recognized because you refuse to engage in all the politics that come with this game....but that's a whole other discussion. Here are a few links that show what folks think of Khi:

He is on Verbal Commits where they have him listed as a 4 star:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mekhi-long

ESPN has him ranked Top 100 (I guess really top 50) in his class (also as a 4 star recruit ):
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... mekhi-long
(42 position, 48 region, 6th in state)

EYBL All Breakout Team:
https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/911566
top 4 rebounder
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40__flygu ... pd&lang=en
FT leader

Also, I saw where someone was talking about him coming off the bench for DC Premier. Lets be real, the team was stacked. But why did they bring Khi, who never played with them to such a big tournament? I will clarify because I heard the story directly from the source. The Vegas trip with DC Premier was a last minute decision. He didn't want to go to Florida with Boo Williams and opted for Vegas with DC Premier. This is why he was coming off the bench. He never comes off the bench, but he was the new kid on that team. How would that look for a new player to come in (regardless of his breakout performance starting on the EYBL circuit with Boo Wms) and then START on your team (in a completely different top ranked circuit) at the end of the season without playing a single game with them? With Mekhi on the team, DC Premier won both the UA Championship & the Fab 48 all in the same week. And yes he did this coming from the bench. The thing is, he got in and rarely came out. Players got rotated around him. Some feathers were ruffled, but the end result was championships. DC Premier & Take Over were the top programs in the DMV at the time. He played for both teams. Again, politics is something that keeps a lot of great kids from getting the recognition they deserve. That's how he ended up at Boo Williams (another highly ranked AAU program) in the 1st place (that’s another story). You don't get to play for the top AAU teams cross country without being special. It is a hard, winding road when you're going against the grain. Coach Cox is smart. He KNOWS he got a steal. Khi is battle tested and ready to go to war. Again, he's BEEN playing like this. The videos are out there. You can see his growth as a player. I can't wait for the season to start. I know its different playing in high school vs D1 college, but also understand we play in the DMV. On a regular basis, he plays/played against reclassed/double reclassed kids (18- 20) who are all current 4-5 star recruits for other programs. He did well against all of them. That footage is out there too. A lot of D1 talent in this area goes unnoticed because the area is overflowing with great players. You guys got one that got away from other higher ranked programs. And trust me, he has a LOT of eyes on him. Treat him right. He's going to surprise you.

Sorry for the long post. Khi is a friend. I'm rooting for him and the Rams.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Wow. No way Long is Top 100. He was the 5th or 6th best player on his AAU team.
No real rating service has him in the top 200.
come on 83, really? 5th or 6th best?

Long played for Boo Williams last Spring/Summer in Nike EYBL AAU. His team finished a respectable 7-9 in the most competitive AAU League in existence

Long led Boo Williams:
- 7.5 Rebounds per game. His Rebounding put him 18th among the players from 40 Teams (players who played 8 or more of the 16 games)
- 1.3 Steals per game
- .7 Blocks per game

Long was 2nd on Boo Williams:
- 9.5 points per game
- 2.4 assists per game

Among players on Boo Williams committed to D1 Schools:
Gibson Jimerson is going to Saint Louis and averaged 8.7 ppg
Quinn Slazinski is going to Louisville and averaged 6.9 ppg - - playing in only 8 of the 16 games
Aundre Hyatt is going to LSU and averaged 9.6 ppg - playing in only 8 of the 16 games

On the room for improvement side, Long hit 48-92 FTs for 52.2%. He hit 4-8 3PA's for 50%. He improved his shooting during his Senior Year and improved his overall game performance since last Summer.

Disclaimer - this information is from 2018
https://www.d1circuit.com/stats/league_ ... ol=2957276
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

5th or 6th best player on DC Premier. I watched every game he played for DC Premier in the UA Championship and the Fab 48.
JustKenny is a hype man for Mekhi. He makes Slim’s promotional post seem reserved 😜.

DC Premier
Ahead of Mekhi Long:
Ricky Lindo
Makhi Mitchell
Makhel Mitchell
Sherif Kenney
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago 5th or 6th best player on DC Premier. I watched every game he played for DC Premier in the UA Championship and the Fab 48.
JustKenny is a hype man for Mekhi. He makes Slim’s promotional post seem reserved 😜.

DC Premier
Ahead of Mekhi Long:
Ricky Lindo
Makhi Mitchell
Makhel Mitchell
Sherif Kenney
As JustKenny mentioned, Mekhi was a late addition to the DC Premier squad as he regularly played with Boo Williams in Nike EYBL. Long played all 16 of the EYBL games. Boo Williams was playing in Florida tournament so Long opted for the invite from DC Premier to go with them to play in Vegas for the UA Championship. I can easily see why Long came off the bench because DCP was not his regular team. Coach needs to work him in. DCP played very well in UA in Vegas as has been previously stated. They were loaded up.

You say Long was the 5th or 6th behind other players on the team including these 4 players:
Ricky Lindo reclassified to 2018 so he would not be competition to Long’s Top 100 ranking @ #95
Prephoops Rankings:
Lindo freshman year stats at Maryland 2-12 on 3PAs for 16.7%, 13-25 FTs,1.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg.
Makhi Mitchell Ranked #64
Makhel Mitchell Ranked #242
Sherif Kenney Ranked #159
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago 5th or 6th best player on DC Premier. I watched every game he played for DC Premier in the UA Championship and the Fab 48.

DC Premier
Ahead of Mekhi Long:
Ricky Lindo
Makhi Mitchell
Makhel Mitchell
Sherif Kenney
As JustKenny mentioned, Mekhi was a late addition to the DC Premier squad as he regularly played with Boo Williams in Nike EYBL. Long played all 16 of the EYBL games. Boo Williams was playing in Florida tournament so Long opted for the invite from DC Premier to go with them to play in Vegas for the UA Championship. I can easily see why Long came off the bench because DCP was not his regular team. Coach needs to work him in. DCP played very well in UA in Vegas as has been previously stated. They were loaded up.

You say Long was the 5th or 6th behind other players on the team including these 4 players:
Ricky Lindo reclassified to 2018 so he would not be competition to Long’s Top 100 ranking @ #95
Prephoops Rankings:
Lindo freshman year stats at Maryland 2-12 on 3PAs for 16.7%, 13-25 FTs,1.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg.
Makhi Mitchell Ranked #64
Makhel Mitchell Ranked #242
Sherif Kenney Ranked #159a
I wasn’t judging it based on Mekhi starting or not. I watched all of the six games. He got plenty of minutes. Ricky Lindo was the best player on that team. The Mitchell twins dominated (and are going to Maryland). Sherif Kenney was the MVP of the UA Championship.
247 Composite has Makhel rated #164. Long’s 247 Composite is rated #284.

I like Mekhi. I see him as a good all around player. Not a great scorer. Good defensively and rebounding.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

God this board sucks sometimes and is not very welcoming to newcomers if god forbid, they have a different opinion then the people who post on here constantly do. Even if that opinion is positive. How about we all try to be a little more welcoming and open minded.

JustKenny thanks for the information, much appreciated. Makes a lot of sense and I think Long is an excellent player who does everything well except for maybe shooting. But it sounds like that has improved quite a bit in the last year. He will be well taken care of up here and people will love how he plays.

Only on this board would a ranking in the top 100, and a positive post from a person who knows the player, cause such consternation.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago God this board sucks sometimes and is not very welcoming to newcomers if god forbid, they have a different opinion then the people who post on here constantly do. Even if that opinion is positive. How about we all try to be a little more welcoming and open minded.

JustKenny thanks for the information, much appreciated. Makes a lot of sense and I think Long is an excellent player who does everything well except for maybe shooting. But it sounds like that has improved quite a bit in the last year. He will be well taken care of up here and people will love how he plays.

Only on this board would a ranking in the top 100, and a positive post from a person who knows the player, cause such consternation.
Totally agree.
JustKenny
Frenchy Tomlin

Wow. Yeah, I guess I am Mekhi's hype man...LOL. I'm fine with that. I just thought by answering a few questions and giving some background info / facts would mattere as it seems no one on the board really knows him. I'm glad he doesn't read this stuff. Yes, he is a great all around player. In those 6 games you watched, maybe he wasn't a great scorer, but over a season in the WCAC, his jump shot has greatly improved and his range is way better. He is improving every day based on news I've been receiving. Getting in the paint to score has always been easy for him. A lot of his points come from the line and rebounds. Mid range and 3's are what he's been working on. He's a scoring threat at all 3 levels. I'm guessing Rhody83 was hoping for someone else to commit which is why all of this shade is being thrown at Mekhi, but the fact is, you only saw 6 games. I gave you the background of those games to educate you, so for you to continue to project a misinformed opinion about him to this board, well, it seems strange, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Fine. If its one thing I do know about Mekhi is he's used to being doubted and proving people wrong (myself included). He's done it his whole career. Considering the caliber of player he is, he's very humble. He knows nothing is owed to him and comes ready to work. You'll see it this season. When Mekhi does EXACTLY what Coach Cox brought him up there to do, we'll revisit this thread and have a laugh.

A few more facts that won't matter to you either:
1. Khi committed late June 2019. Because he had already committed, a few of the kids on the DCP team still needed looks. In particular (Ricky Lindo & Sherif). Khi didn't need the look since he committed early (to you guys...LOL). Those other kids needed to be on the floor as much as possible. No shade, but its easier to get an MVP on a stacked team when 1 of your best players isn't being featured out there, but the coach is trying to get kids without scholarships the looks they need.
2. You probably didn't see the Washington Supreme game where DCP was down by 20, put Khi in, turned the game around, came back and won.
3. Also probably didn't see the game that actually got them to the championship where Khi had 18.
4. Oh yeah, you probably saw the K-Low game where DCP lost by 20+, but Khi didn't play that game.
5. Did I mention the WCAC is the best high school league in the country where Khi was double/triple teamed by reclassed 4-5 star high major recruits nearly every game and they still couldn't stop him from scoring? He can score.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Since none of us know how things are going to play out for any of these incoming freshmen at the next level, maybe we should wait until the season starts and see how things play out. Even then, there’s a chance in giving an opinion on a player too soon. I’ve watched several draftees struggle in NBA summer league games, but I certainly won’t write them off as pros yet.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

JustKenny, great info. Thanks. 83 is alright, not speaking for him but I don't think he means anything personal by it, just that your posts are glowing and it could come off as hype to some. Its just a weird group of folks on this board, some of us, like myself like to get all jazzed up about recruits. Some don't want to get the expectations up, sometimes it's even in a way to express that we shouldn't put too much on one kid where people might be disappointed if he doesn't come in and light it up. Not saying that's what's going on here, just saying don't be put off from the board by a few opposing opinions, you'll find some common ground with most here.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Again, love to hear what you have on Mekhi .Don't worry about what posters have to say about him . If he is as good as you
believe he is he will be showing it on the court very soon .And try to remember that all of the posters want Mekhi to do well , but some
worry that every recruit may turn out to be a bust and they are afraid to put their faith in the coaching staff because they have seen some
previously hyped recruits not pan out . I can't wait to see all of the new players and I hope they can make the team a contender for
the top of the A 10 .
JustKenny
Frenchy Tomlin

Appreciate the support. Truth doesn't need nothing to stand on. #ONLYFACTS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

JustKenny, your post seem a little over the top. You could be building unrealistic expectations. I hope you are right. I am a URI fan. Your post seem to be from the context of a friend of Mekhi’s. I have seen him play more than 6 times. I just mentioned the 6 games with DC Premier. I like Mekhi as a player. To say I could see him having a career like TJ is complement.

Your #2 & 3 comments on what I have seen and haven’t seen are wrong.
You call the WCAC the “best high school league in the country”. I would defer to DC Rams and Slim to comment on that.
I do know that Mekhi would’ve faced better competition if he stayed at Massanutten (national prep schedule) than he did at Bishop MacNamara. I understand that he wanted to be closer to home his Sr year.
Let’s look at some facts from his 16 AAU games with Boo Williams and DC Premier:
He made 43.3% of his FGs (46 of 106)
He made 55.5% of his FTs (53 of 95)
He took only 7 threes and made 1
He avg 10.2 ppg for BW and 7.3 ppg for DC
He avg 8.5 rebounds for BW and 4.3 for DC
You mentioned playing time - he averaged 22.5 mins for DC Premier.

What “news” are you receiving that he is improving every day?

Most players have a significant adjustment to make from HS/Prep to D1 College. We saw it last year with Rhody’s highly rated Freshmen. I would think Mekhi would experience that as well. I don’t think Mekhi will be in URI’s regular rotation this year (8 experienced players). I don’t think he is going to get many minutes to show the talent level you have described unless a player in front of him is hurt. I think he will get the opportunity to play more his Soph year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago God this board sucks sometimes and is not very welcoming to newcomers if god forbid, they have a different opinion then the people who post on here constantly do. Even if that opinion is positive. How about we all try to be a little more welcoming and open minded.

Totally agree.
Absolutely!
We need more posters with direct knowledge of players performance, especially welcome from DVM where a good percentage of our players and prospects are from
JustKenny has very interesting info from first hand watching players in DVM. He can more accurately compare players. I also enjoy Slim’s observations that he posts here. People May not agree with some their observations But I love that they come from 1st hand viewing and from living in the DVM
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JustKenny wrote: 5 years ago Wow. Yeah, I guess I am Mekhi's hype man...LOL. I'm fine with that. I just thought by answering a few questions and giving some background info / facts would mattere as it seems no one on the board really knows him. I'm glad he doesn't read this stuff. Yes, he is a great all around player. In those 6 games you watched, maybe he wasn't a great scorer, but over a season in the WCAC, his jump shot has greatly improved and his range is way better. He is improving every day based on news I've been receiving. Getting in the paint to score has always been easy for him. A lot of his points come from the line and rebounds. Mid range and 3's are what he's been working on. He's a scoring threat at all 3 levels. I'm guessing Rhody83 was hoping for someone else to commit which is why all of this shade is being thrown at Mekhi, but the fact is, you only saw 6 games. I gave you the background of those games to educate you, so for you to continue to project a misinformed opinion about him to this board, well, it seems strange, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Fine. If its one thing I do know about Mekhi is he's used to being doubted and proving people wrong (myself included). He's done it his whole career. Considering the caliber of player he is, he's very humble. He knows nothing is owed to him and comes ready to work. You'll see it this season. When Mekhi does EXACTLY what Coach Cox brought him up there to do, we'll revisit this thread and have a laugh.

A few more facts that won't matter to you either:
1. Khi committed late June 2019. Because he had already committed, a few of the kids on the DCP team still needed looks. In particular (Ricky Lindo & Sherif). Khi didn't need the look since he committed early (to you guys...LOL). Those other kids needed to be on the floor as much as possible. No shade, but its easier to get an MVP on a stacked team when 1 of your best players isn't being featured out there, but the coach is trying to get kids without scholarships the looks they need.
2. You probably didn't see the Washington Supreme game where DCP was down by 20, put Khi in, turned the game around, came back and won.
3. Also probably didn't see the game that actually got them to the championship where Khi had 18.
4. Oh yeah, you probably saw the K-Low game where DCP lost by 20+, but Khi didn't play that game.
5. Did I mention the WCAC is the best high school league in the country where Khi was double/triple teamed by reclassed 4-5 star high major recruits nearly every game and they still couldn't stop him from scoring? He can score.
JustKenny,
Welcome to the KeaneyBlue Message Board
Excellent information you are sharing
Mekhi Long made 2nd Team. How far removed do you think he was from making 1st team? Do you think his playing only his Senior year at Macnamara tended to hurt his chances for 1st team?

Keep posting please!!
And Slim too!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago JustKenny, your post seem a little over the top. You could be building unrealistic expectations. I hope you are right. I am a URI fan. Your post seem to be from the context of a friend of Mekhi’s. I have seen him play more than 6 times. I just mentioned the 6 games with DC Premier. I like Mekhi as a player. To say I could see him having a career like TJ is complement.

Your #2 & 3 comments on what I have seen and haven’t seen are wrong.
You call the WCAC the “best high school league in the country”. I would defer to DC Rams and Slim to comment on that.
I do know that Mekhi would’ve faced better competition if he stayed at Massanutten (national prep schedule) than he did at Bishop MacNamara. I understand that he wanted to be closer to home his Sr year.
Let’s look at some facts from his 16 AAU games with Boo Williams and DC Premier:
He made 43.3% of his FGs (46 of 106)
He made 55.5% of his FTs (53 of 95)
He took only 7 threes and made 1
He avg 10.2 ppg for BW and 7.3 ppg for DC
He avg 8.5 rebounds for BW and 4.3 for DC
You mentioned playing time - he averaged 22.5 mins for DC Premier.

What “news” are you receiving that he is improving every day?

Most players have a significant adjustment to make from HS/Prep to D1 College. We saw it last year with Rhody’s highly rated Freshmen. I would think Mekhi would experience that as well. I don’t think Mekhi will be in URI’s regular rotation this year (8 experienced players). I don’t think he is going to get many minutes to show the talent level you have described unless a player in front of him is hurt. I think he will get the opportunity to play more his Soph year.
WCAC is arguably the best high school conference in the country. If they are not 1, they are unquestionably Top 3. They typically have 3/4 schools ranked nationally in the Top 25, and send multiple kids D1, year in and year out. I like Mekhi. He is the definition of a blue collar player. He will outwork you, out hustle you and do the intangibles it takes to win that don’t always show on the stat sheet. Every team needs that kind of guy. I’m glad we have him, and I think he will be a rotational guy buy his Soph year. He will certainly complement the guys around him, he doesn’t care about points, he cares about winning.
JustKenny
Frenchy Tomlin

Look, this is all speculation. I'm just speaking on what I've witnessed. Given what I saw last year watching a few of your games, I can see why Mekhi was recruited and what he brings to the team. I still feel that when he is allowed to suit up and play, he will have an immediate impact. He's an unselfish player that gets the entire team involved. Now, whether he lives up to expectations will be open to interpretation and who's on the floor with him. I'm pretty confident in what I think will happen given the chance. I didn't realize I was over hyping him by answering questions and providing some links to stats and rankings that were asked for. I was just sharing good news about one of your recruits because it seemed like he was being written off and I wanted you guys to know that he's the diamond in the rough. I'm a Rams fan now too and we not losing 6 in a row this year!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If all he wants to do is win and will out work everyone then that's all we can ask for!
JustKenny
Frenchy Tomlin

Check out @CapitolHoops’s Tweet:

Mekhi was 1st team WCAC. The 3 players kneeling in this pic are your Co-POY. They all just happen to play for the same AAU organization and this is the 1st time I've seen the WCAC POY shared by 3 players. I could be wrong about that.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just look up those kids beside Mekhi. You’ll see he stands in good company.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Just look up those kids beside Mekhi. You’ll see he stands in good company.
It's all good DC. We will see where he stands in the A10 in November.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JustKenny wrote: 5 years ago Check out @CapitolHoops’s Tweet:

Mekhi was 1st team WCAC. The 3 players kneeling in this pic are your Co-POY. They all just happen to play for the same AAU organization and this is the 1st time I've seen the WCAC POY shared by 3 players. I could be wrong about that.
I'm sold JustKenny :D :D

Mekhi Long is in outstanding company in the group of 8 First Team Selections. Long, Moore and Morsell are the only Class of 2019 on 1st team. Moore is headed to Villanova, Morsell going to Virginia

Rankings listed are from Prephoops:

First Team
DeMatha - #5 Justin Moore CO_POY Ranked #53 in 2019 - going to Villanova
DeMatha - #1 Hunter Dickinson 7'1" Ranked #32 in 2020
DeMatha - #0 Earl Timberlake Ranked #46 in 2020
Gonzaga - #5 Terrence Williams Ranked #66 in 2020
St Johns - #14 Casey Morsell CO-POY Ranked #80 in 2019 - going to Virginia
McNamara - #0 Mekhi Long Ranked #95 in 2019 - going to Rhode Island
Paul VI - #0 Trevor Keels CO-POY Ranked #43 in 2021
Paul VI - #11 Dug McDaniel - Freshman - Not ranked as in Class of 2022

Second Team
Dematha - Jahmir Young - Ranked #189 in 2019 - going to UNC Charlotte
Paul VI - Josh Oduro - Ranked #482 in 2019 - going to George Mason
Paul VI - Josiah Freeman - Ranked #172 in 2020
Gonzaga - Anwar Gill - Ranked #212 in 2020
St John's - Ish Leggett - Ranked #201 in 2020
St John's - Darius Maddox - Ranked #129 in 2020
Bishop O'Connell - Charlie Weber - Ranked #352 in 2019 - going to ETSU
Bishop Ireton - Ethan Lynch - Not ranked in 2019 - going to Stonehill
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nice showing by Mekhi.
When did Prephoops become the ratings service to reference 😳?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Nice showing by Mekhi.
Better question, what makes them any more or less credible?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

247 - #284

It was you questioning/challenging CamsRams referring to Long as a Top 100 player that led me to search. In 2 minutes I found the ranking of Long at #95.

Information shared by JustKenny (who resides in the DC area and watches many HS Games in DVM), plus Long making 1st team lends me to think Long is more accurately ranked at #95 than to 247 Ranking of #284.

I used Prephoops Rankings to compare the 1st Team and 2nd Team Players - since PrepHoops was CamsRams source of the #95 Ranking and the article he referred to.

I get you disagree with Prephoops Ranking, with Long making 1st Team and with JustKenny observations from DC area games. It’s ok to disagree.
Important to note on any recruit is when you judge them - Prior to playing Sr year or after? Your live observations were from last summer - plus as JustKenny shared, Long was a late add to DC Premier for the Vegas UA Tournament you watched, his regular AAU team being Boo Williams, so Long had to “fit in” to the Vegas Team/Lineup.
Prephoops Ranking, 1st Team Recognition and Kenny’s information are all from considering Longs SR year performance - indicative of what has he done lately

Looks to me that Cox made a solid recruiting decision to Verbal Long BEFORE his Sr Year played out because Long obviously raised his stock price. Had Cox gone by Longs performance in Vegas UA last summer on a team that was was not his regular AAU team or chosen to wait until the 2018-19 season was over, there is a good chance Long would not have been available to URI.

As always time will tell. Let the 2019-20 season begin and whatever Monday Morning Quarterbacking commence.
Have to trust the Coaching staff in only year 2 about to start.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

247 - #284

It was you questioning/challenging CamsRams referring to Long as a Top 100 player that led me to search. In 2 minutes I found the ranking of Long at #95.

Information shared by JustKenny (who resides in the DC area and watches many HS Games in DVM), plus Long making 1st team lends me to think Long is more accurately ranked at #95 than to 247 Ranking of #284.

I used Prephoops Rankings to compare the 1st Team and 2nd Team Players - since PrepHoops was CamsRams source of the #95 Ranking and the article he referred to.

I get you disagree with Prephoops Ranking, with Long making 1st Team and with JustKenny observations from DC area games. It’s ok to disagree.
Important to note on any recruit is when you judge them - Prior to playing Sr year or after? Your live observations were from last summer - plus as JustKenny shared, Long was a late add to DC Premier for the Vegas UA Tournament you watched, his regular AAU team being Boo Williams, so Long had to “fit in” to the Vegas Team/Lineup.
Prephoops Ranking, 1st Team Recognition and Kenny’s information are all from considering Longs SR year performance - indicative of what has he done lately

Looks to me that Cox made a solid recruiting decision to Verbal Long BEFORE his Sr Year played out because Long obviously raised his stock price. Had Cox gone by Longs performance in Vegas UA last summer on a team that was was not his regular AAU team or chosen to wait until the 2018-19 season was over, there is a good chance Long would not have been available to URI.

As always time will tell. Let the 2019-20 season begin and whatever Monday Morning Quarterbacking commence.
Two things.
1. It’s DMV, not DVM. Lol

2. Facts only apply when they fit your opinion here on KB. :lol: 83, is my guy, but God forbid you challenge him, you’re in for quite the debate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

247 - #284

Two things.
1. It’s DMV, not DVM. Lol

2. Facts only apply when they fit your opinion here on KB. :lol: 83, is my guy, but God forbid you challenge him, you’re in for quite the debate.
1) I actually thought about that DMV vs DVM thing but then I thought about past dealings with the RI Department of Motor Vehicles, my head started hurting and I put DVM
2) So true. But it's unfortunate that the number of posters here has decreased over the years (at least active posters) and I think several are too quick to question the reliability of a Slim (branding him a troll) or JustKenny or any other number of new prospective posters - some have made that point just recently.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Checked out. Enjoy.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This question actually fascinates me - Has someone done an analysis on which of the scouting / hype services are any better, or worse? If not, I'm curious enough to take a look at it myself, but it seems like such an obvious thing that *someone* has probably done it already.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There probably isn’t as much difference as you’d think because for almost every recruit they are cribbing off of each other. Maybe one service had an actual evaluator see a player that everyone else has as a 200+ ranked guy but he fought to have him at 150, but overall the rankings among the major services probably don’t have enough variance to do the kind of analysis you’d find valuable here. Just my hunch.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Recent offers seem to be in Plan C territory
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I am sure he is a good player, but if you miss on both Leggett and Miles, I'd prefer to see us sign two of the bigs we are talking to.
I'd rather add two guys over 6'9" than end up with three guys under 6' on the roster in 2020.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ideally we need a big and another PG.

Of course what we want we don't always get...….
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

Is Cox at Peach Jam with Leggett?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Ideally we need a big and another PG.

Of course what we want we don't always get...….
Contingency planning. Always a necessary evil. Just because we offered doesn’t mean they are a priority “at the time”. It’s chess, not checkers, gentlemen.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago I am sure he is a good player, but if you miss on both Leggett and Miles, I'd prefer to see us sign two of the bigs we are talking to.
I'd rather add two guys over 6'9" than end up with three guys under 6' on the roster in 2020.
Other than Fatts who is under 6’?

Cox has been recruiting size at the G and SF positions.

2020 - Wood 6’5”
2019 - Hammond 6’5”, Long 6’7”, Toppin 6’7”, Sheppard 6’1”, Johnson 6’7”
2018 - Martin 6’6”, Tate 6’7”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrhodyrhody wrote: 5 years ago Is Cox at Peach Jam with Leggett?
Yes
Cox was at the 10:30 am game today where Team Durant beat Houston Hoops
Cox also took in the Expressions Elite win over Team Takeover at 9am today
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

Where are other coaches?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good article
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Yes
Best situation for URI/Cox - Team Durant’s last game is tonight. DC Premier qualified for the Adidas Championship in Birmingham.
Time for Cox to go to Birmingham. 300 miles away. Atlanta right in the middle where the UA Finals are.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Yes
Best situation for URI/Cox - Team Durant’s last game is tonight. DC Premier qualified for the Adidas Championship in Birmingham.
Time for Cox to go to Birmingham. 300 miles away. Atlanta right in the middle where the UA Finals are.
Cox is Courtside in North Augusta for the 7:30pm game tonight (Friday) for the Team Durant vs Seattle Rottary game.