2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago What are the odds or the feeling here that the 5 players that start next season in Nov. are all currently on our roster?
All five? I'd say there's a chance that holdovers start out atop the depth chart, depending on who we bring in, but I'd expect at least one grad / older transfer taking a spot, probably at the 4 or 5. Right now, we only have Dubsky and Estevez signed IIRC, and while I think they're promising they would probably need to displace Freeman, Leggett or Weston, which probably isn't going to be a Game One thing unless they're awesome from the jump.
We currently have 1 open spot.
No sure Archie changes his approach to the portal and decides to bring in seasoned and immediate impact players.
Also does he give up on some of our young/freshman talent?
Here is who we currently have going in going in.
PG- Bray, Bassy, Cam
CG- Ish, Dubs
Wing- Weston, Hutch
PF- Rory, Samb
C- Alex, Bilau, Foumena

Our success would depend on how much these players develop and refine their game.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We need major jumps from existing players and or upgraded new talent at the 3-5 positions.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago We need major jumps from existing players and or upgraded new talent at the 3-5 positions.
I have more faith in this staff developing the players than the previous one.
Also don't know if Archie changes his strategy and brings in shorter term fixes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago What are the odds or the feeling here that the 5 players that start next season in Nov. are all currently on our roster?
My guesses:

Question 1. How many of next years starting 5 next November are currently in this years roster?
Q1 answer: 3

Question 2. Another way to ask it would be........How many of the current starting line up will be in the starting line up to start next season in November?

Q2 Answer: 1 of the current starting 5 is in next years starting 5 in November
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My guess at this point would be 4 are on our roster now but could definitely argue 3, with the front court being the biggest question mark. I would say Bilau for sure as the 4th if he was going to be healthy come Nov but that seems unlikely. I could see Tchikou or maybe Foumena being the 4th to, but I don't know enough about where Foumena is at development wise to say it with any confidence.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
My guesses:

Question 1. How many of next years starting 5 next November are currently in this years roster?

Question 2. Another way to ask it would be........How many of the current starting line up will be in the starting line up to start next season in November?

For the original question, I am thinking 4 but wouldn't be shocked to see all 5.
Of course it all depends on our player development and the portal or jucos.

As for your question #2 Ramster, I say 2 or maybe 3 depending on Bilau's status.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

:P
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
My guesses:

For the original question, I am thinking 4 but wouldn't be shocked to see all 5.

As for your question #2 Ramster, I say 2 or maybe 3 depending on Bilau's status.
If the 5 players that start next year are on this roster already then it will be another lost season. They are never coming close to a tournament bid with this group despite playing in a low end conference at this point. What is the problem with trying to get players that can shoot the three point shot, but play smart and don’t just throw up any shot like Freeman
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago :P

My guesses:

If the 5 players that start next year are on this roster already then it will be another lost season. They are never coming close to a tournament bid with this group despite playing in a low end conference at this point. What is the problem with trying to get players that can shoot the three point shot, but play smart and don’t just throw up any shot like Freeman
Wayyyyyyy too early to say that. Is it my base case that our 5 starters next year are already on this roster? No.

But there’s certainly a viable path ahead for that to be the case. Ish and Bray will go into next year as one of the best backcourt tandems in the A10.

If bilau is back that can easily be your 5, though there might be an opportunity to bring in an immediate impact transfer

Rory will have a chance to win the starting stretch 4 job. If he can work on his defense and shoot 35% from that spot it’s a no brainer.

And then the real question is just who’s at the 3. I think similarly Weston should have a chance to build momentum and win that job too
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

My guesses:

I am not so sure Archie is ready to give up on some of the young players.
Maybe he feels they can develop into solid impact players.
Just not sure what he is thinking going into the off-season.

Yes we know about our struggles, but I have to keep in mind the inexperience of our roster.
With that said I can see the need for a true experienced PG, a good consistent shooting wing, and a seasoned big.

I also am not thinking a bid next season.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Assuming there isn’t a big surprise from the portal by way of players with 3-4 years of experience, next year will be another build year. Our team collectively will not be much more experienced than this year where we average about 1.4 years of experience per player. However, the experience will be more evenly balanced going forward. I won’t look for a jump until year 3 when the average experience will be over 2.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My guesses:

I am of this thinking at this point, maybe not a “lost” season. But a season that might see a glimpse of the mid pack in the conference. It is just too much expectation for all the current roster players to improve and grow to the level necessary to jump over all the teams above us into the top tier. We need an injection of skills and talent beyond incremental improvements in current roster. Hopefully Dan Yorke will have some new names to butcher next year intros of the starting five.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Wayyyyyyy too early to say that. Is it my base case that our 5 starters next year are already on this roster? No.

But there’s certainly a viable path ahead for that to be the case. Ish and Bray will go into next year as one of the best backcourt tandems in the A10.

If bilau is back that can easily be your 5, though there might be an opportunity to bring in an immediate impact transfer

Rory will have a chance to win the starting stretch 4 job. If he can work on his defense and shoot 35% from that spot it’s a no brainer.

And then the real question is just who’s at the 3. I think similarly Weston should have a chance to build momentum and win that job too
Rory at his best is a guy that could come off the bench for some shooting. He is slow and not athletic who will get smoked defensively. Bilau is coming off a major injury. He is one guy that could have value along Ish. Weston could be decent, but hadn’t proven anything yet and I agree with people who think Byatt reminds them of Fatts. I don’t think Bray is a player they win with on how he currently plays. He will have good games like Fatts did just not consistent and does his own thing. I’m not sure how anyone could be excited coming back with next years team
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Rory at his best is a guy that could come off the bench for some shooting. He is slow and not athletic who will get smoked defensively. Bilau is coming off a major injury. He is one guy that could have value along Ish. Weston could be decent, but hadn’t proven anything yet and I agree with people who think Byatt reminds them of Fatts. I don’t think Bray is a player they win with on how he currently plays. He will have good games like Fatts did just not consistent and does his own thing. I’m not sure how anyone could be excited coming back with next years team
Yeah Bray to me is a poor man’s Fatts

I’m hoping we get a talent upgrade maybe a couple transfers in that can be starters or rotation pieces and I bet a couple will leave
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I’m hoping we get a talent upgrade maybe a couple transfers in that can be starters or rotation pieces and I bet a couple will leave
100 posts here how Bray is a worse version of Fatts

Brays sophomore year stats:

14.5 ppg, 37% FG%, 33.7% 3pt, 69% FT, 3.1 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.1spg

Fatts sophomore year stats:

14.2 ppg, 34% FG%, 22% 3pt, 74% FT, 2.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.8spg

Borderline the exact same player lol. Some of you just like to make things up
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Well...Bray is cramming in those same numbers in 5 mins less per game*, because coaching...so there is that...

*just a guess, too lazy to look it up, unafraid to speculate :lol:
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Well...Bray is cramming in those same numbers in 5 mins less per game*, because coaching...so there is that...

Bray is averaging 29 mpg vs Fatts 34. But brays mpg are skewed down by only playing 12 and 15 minutes in his first two games when he got benched

He only scored 2 points in each of those games too. So if you were to exclude those he’s probably averaging closer to 16ppg
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Bray is averaging 29 mpg vs Fatts 34. But brays mpg are skewed down by only playing 12 and 15 minutes in his first two games when he got benched

He only scored 2 points in each of those games too. So if you were to exclude those he’s probably averaging closer to 16ppg
My speculation...backed by research. Perfect.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fatts and Bray also had totally different supporting casts.....both in teammates and coaching.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Do some of you honestly feel like sophomore Bray was as much of a disaster as sophomore Fatts?

Fatts was AWFUL all year long! He singlehandedly killed us and he had way more offensive help around him than Bray.

Bray has Ish......and sometimes Carey

Fatts could hardly hit the rim his sophomore year

Just look at his game log for his sophomore year

Here's 3pt shooting highlights

He had eleven games where he didn't make a three

0-4 three times

0-7 three times

0-10 against Charleston!

They are similar, but Bray hasn't been close to as bad. Far more efficient, especially when you take out his weird bad start.

Bray is good and will continue to get better and leave a great Ram. Its obvious.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

A lot of good stuff above on both sides of the ticker.

I tend to lean on my eye test (out of years of habit) and memory (although not as reliable as it used to be) more than numbers. Having watched Fatts play more than Bray, I default to Fatts as the better of the two, so far. However, the stats presented and points presented tell a different story.

Good reading!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Do some of you honestly feel like sophomore Bray was as much of a disaster as sophomore Fatts?

Fatts was AWFUL all year long! He singlehandedly killed us and he had way more offensive help around him than Bray.

Bray has Ish......and sometimes Carey

Fatts could hardly hit the rim his sophomore year

Just look at his game log for his sophomore year

Here's 3pt shooting highlights

He had eleven games where he didn't make a three

0-4 three times

0-7 three times

0-10 against Charleston!

They are similar, but Bray hasn't been close to as bad. Far more efficient, especially when you take out his weird bad start.

Bray is good and will continue to get better and leave a great Ram. Its obvious.
No, not quite the disaster Fatts was. There are similarities to their games. With Bray being a soph, there is plenty of teachable moments years ahead for the bad habits to be coached out of him. With a better supporting cast of offensive on the floor with him, he probably can improve. But when things break down, in the half court, which they will, I wanna see less head down drive to the hoop and force up prayers at end of shot clock.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago A lot of good stuff above on both sides of the ticker.

I tend to lean on my eye test (out of years of habit) and memory (although not as reliable as it used to be) more than numbers. Having watched Fatts play more than Bray, I default to Fatts as the better of the two, so far. However, the stats presented and points presented tell a different story.

Good reading!
Couldn’t agree more Drums , I was a big Fatts fan so I am biased I guess and I didn’t realize Brays stats were so similar

If Bray can equal Fatts career that will be huge for us
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Archie has a plan for Rory that probably does not involve him starting really at any point in his career here. I think what you saw against Saint Louis is ideal if he can reproduce that against that level of competition. And he probably can.

He was 4-4, 3-3 3-pointers, for 11pts in 10 mins. Something like that, or 15 pts in 15 mins, off the bench is probably what you are looking at for Rory even 2 or 3 years from now. I don't think it's a bad gig, to be honest. As he approaches his senior year, you'll probably see him more involved, maybe even start a game if necessary.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago

I think Archie has a plan for Rory that probably does not involve him starting really at any point in his career here. I think what you saw against Saint Louis is ideal if he can reproduce that against that level of competition. And he probably can.

He was 4-4, 3-3 3-pointers, for 11pts in 10 mins. Something like that, or 15 pts in 15 mins, off the bench is probably what you are looking at for Rory even 2 or 3 years from now. I don't think it's a bad gig, to be honest. As he approaches his senior year, you'll probably see him more involved, maybe even start a game if necessary.
At this early point in Rory's career. it is hard to say what Archie's future plan for him is.
Much depends on his development, and I wouldn't rule him out as a starter someday.
Once Bilau is healthy, Foumena playing, plus Alex, I doubt we will see Rory at the 5 or the only big on the floor for us.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe, but I think it is important to remember that not every player is recruited here to be a starter. A Championship caliber team, needs Championship caliber role players, bench players. Case in point: Preston Murphy spent almost his entire career here as a sixth man. The only reason he started his last year, is because half the team graduated.

I'm not surprised by Rory's performance against SLU. I think he'll have more showings like that as he acclimates to this level of bball and he transitions from a learning curve to a comfortable role. I think at some point you'll see him drop 5 of 6 3 pointers and 19 points in around 19 mins off the bench, and people will question why he doesn't play more, and there will still be people who say that he plays too much.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At this early point in Rory's career. it is hard to say what Archie's future plan for him is.
Much depends on his development, and I wouldn't rule him out as a starter someday.
Once Bilau is healthy, Foumena playing, plus Alex, I doubt we will see Rory at the 5 or the only big on the floor for us.
If Rory can't play and defend the 5, I think he's going to struggle even more at the 4. Like, he's checking in at 6'8", 230 as a freshman. That's a 5 in today's game. I'm glad he finally had a breakout game, but he needs two or three more before he even gets to like Tchikou or Samb's level, who are the current marginal starters. Right now, he's like the poor man's Darrell Harris.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If Rory can't play and defend the 5, I think he's going to struggle even more at the 4. Like, he's checking in at 6'8", 230 as a freshman. That's a 5 in today's game. I'm glad he finally had a breakout game, but he needs two or three more before he even gets to like Tchikou or Samb's level, who are the current marginal starters. Right now, he's like the poor man's Darrell Harris.
Bigs take longer to develop, and Rory is still very raw.
I still see him as more of a stretch 4 and in the future playing alongside a 5 or another big in the paint.
Archie will have more flexibility with his bigs next season with each bringing in different skills.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I like his recent success with shooting the 3. As StevieS said in the game thread, the game appears to be slowing down for him.

Now, so he can play better D, do whatever it takes to get him to move quicker, get the training staff on it. Even if he has to chase and catch chickens around an empty Ryan Center. Like Rocky! :lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If he keeps shooting that 3 ball like the last couple of games he definitely has a nice role here
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Since, I originally thought Bray was going to be our most impactful newcomer, this entire situation has now put us further behind in our rebuild, at least in my mind.

Yeah we saw problems and some drama early on, but he probably is our most talented offensive player.
His defensive game wasn't up to par, and he certainly isn't your typical PG.
It is a shame that part of his game didn't yet develop, and the staff wasn't able to reel him.

At this point we still don't know which current players will still be on our roster next season.

These past 3 seasons we went 10th, 11th, and currently 14th place in the A10.
The balance of this season, I don't expect much or any improvement at our current pace.
So it may be very difficult for us to get the creme of the crop as far as transfers.
The staff will really need to over-achieve in trying to bring in impact players.
Also in lieu of recent happenings and our play this season, Archie may re-evaluate his strategy on the portal, by bringing in some seasoned/proven players.

In Hurley's 2nd season he still had leading scorer Munford, Biruta was available after sitting out as a transfer.
TJ was also there as a glue guy.
The biggest addition was EC and Martin who played a major role in Hurley's success.
Can Archie and the staff get comparable players like that for next season, hope so?

On a positive note, many of the kids we currently have are inexperienced and still raw, so they have time to develop into impactful players.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

All five? I'd say there's a chance that holdovers start out atop the depth chart, depending on who we bring in, but I'd expect at least one grad / older transfer taking a spot, probably at the 4 or 5. Right now, we only have Dubsky and Estevez signed IIRC, and while I think they're promising they would probably need to displace Freeman, Leggett or Weston, which probably isn't going to be a Game One thing unless they're awesome from the jump.
Definitely Ish (God willing).
PG is obviously something that will a grad transfer. Unless we're stuck with Bassy in which case the fanbase will be short a fan because there's no way I survive a season with slightly more elevated expectations having to watch him 30 minutes a night. I will die.
I don't think Lou is ready at the 3 yet.
But I think your 4 and 5 are on the roster. My thought would be Tchikou/Bilau are your starting 4 and 5. Foumena is your backup 5. Rory is your backup 4.

So if you have the 2/4/5 and some frontcourt help already on the roster, you're looking for Dubsky/Estevez to be contributors right away to have some hope - or you need a transfer.

I've got faith in our assistants to pull some things out for next year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
PG is obviously something that will a grad transfer. Unless we're stuck with Bassy in which case the fanbase will be short a fan because there's no way I survive a season with slightly more elevated expectations having to watch him 30 minutes a night. I will die.
But I think your 4 and 5 are on the roster. My thought would be Tchikou/Bilau are your starting 4 and 5. Foumena is your backup 5. Rory is your backup 4.

So if you have the 2/4/5 and some frontcourt help already on the roster, you're looking for Dubsky/Estevez to be contributors right away to have some hope - or you need a transfer.

Blue Man not sure about Bilau because he probably won't be available to start the season and once he does return it will take him time, conditioning, and just getting back to the flow.

Ish a lock at the 2 and pencil in Weston to start at the 3.

Since I think it will take time for Cam to adjust, Archie needs to bring in a seasoned PG from the portal who can immediately come in and maybe takeover.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Blue Man not sure about Bilau because he probably won't be available to start the season and once he does return it will take him time, conditioning, and just getting back to the flow.

Ish a lock at the 2 and pencil in Weston to start at the 3.

Since I think it will take time for Cam to adjust, Archie needs to bring in a seasoned PG from the portal who can immediately come in and maybe takeover.
Duh. Weston at the 3. Sorry, need more coffee.

So yes we're in agreement. PG is the one spot where we definitely need a transfer.

You're probably right about Bilau - but I think just having Foumena available will make us better since it will allow Alex to play his natural position.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think the 1 and 4 spot will be the focus in offseason.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know we offered those 2 juco bigs. Do either of them play the 4? Or are they both strictly 5s?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I know we offered those 2 juco bigs. Do either of them play the 4? Or are they both strictly 5s?
Buru can definitely play the 4 and stretch it (41% 3PT).
Like his size 6'8" (215) and currently averaging 15 pts. almost 11 rebs.
He is the one I am most excited about.
He also will have 3 years eligibility left.
Garden City CC is also a solid program.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I know we offered those 2 juco bigs. Do either of them play the 4? Or are they both strictly 5s?
Buru can definitely play the 4 and stretch it (41% 3PT).
Like his size 6'8" (215) and currently averaging 15 pts. almost 11 rebs.
He is the one I am most excited about.
He also will have 3 years eligibility left.
Garden City CC is also a solid program.
Sounds good. Hopefully he is considering us.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

If I'm thinking about the starting lineup for 2023-24, game one, I think it would be player not on roster (1), Leggett (2), Weston (3), player not on roster (4) and Tchikou (5). Miller started this year by going with Malik at the 4 instead of playing Samb and Tchikou at the same time; the two of them have only started together when Freeman was suspended or coming off the bench. (Heck, against Tulane, Hutchinson started over URI using two conventional big men.) I doubt Estevez will get the keys to PG on day one, but with Freeman gone, I suspect we'll get at least two guys coming in that'll be options at the point, with one probably being a transfer that has some D-I experience at the position.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well, for $2M plus, why can't we expect Miller to get a player like Terrell to start as a freshman? I mean, isn't that why we are paying this big salary? I'm tired of these wait and see recruits. That's not what we are paying for.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Well, for $2M plus, why can't we expect Miller to get a player like Terrell to start as a freshman? I mean, isn't that why we are paying this big salary? I'm tired of these wait and see recruits. That's not what we are paying for.
Terrell joined URI in Hurley's third year. I think we'd settle for E.C. Matthews, though, of course. :)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Well, for $2M plus, why can't we expect Miller to get a player like Terrell to start as a freshman? I mean, isn't that why we are paying this big salary? I'm tired of these wait and see recruits. That's not what we are paying for.
Terrell joined URI in Hurley's third year. I think we'd settle for E.C. Matthews, though, of course. :)
Touche. But the level of talent needs to improve drastically soon.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago If I'm thinking about the starting lineup for 2023-24, game one, I think it would be player not on roster (1), Leggett (2), Weston (3), player not on roster (4) and Tchikou (5). Miller started this year by going with Malik at the 4 instead of playing Samb and Tchikou at the same time; the two of them have only started together when Freeman was suspended or coming off the bench. (Heck, against Tulane, Hutchinson started over URI using two conventional big men.) I doubt Estevez will get the keys to PG on day one, but with Freeman gone, I suspect we'll get at least two guys coming in that'll be options at the point, with one probably being a transfer that has some D-I experience at the position.
Actually against Texas State Archie started Samb and Alex at the 4 and 5,
The TSU game was Samb's best 14 pts/7 rebs and showed he had a mid-range game and athleticism.
Bassy, Carey, and Bray all struggled, any production from them and we would have won.

We have seen flashes from all our freshmen., but I wouldn't be surprised if Archie moves on from Samb.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago If I'm thinking about the starting lineup for 2023-24, game one, I think it would be player not on roster (1), Leggett (2), Weston (3), player not on roster (4) and Tchikou (5). Miller started this year by going with Malik at the 4 instead of playing Samb and Tchikou at the same time; the two of them have only started together when Freeman was suspended or coming off the bench. (Heck, against Tulane, Hutchinson started over URI using two conventional big men.) I doubt Estevez will get the keys to PG on day one, but with Freeman gone, I suspect we'll get at least two guys coming in that'll be options at the point, with one probably being a transfer that has some D-I experience at the position.
The TSU game was Samb's best 14 pts/8 rebs and showed he had a good mid-range game and athleticism.
Bassy, Carey, and Bray all struggled, any production from them and we would have won.

We have seen flashes from all our freshmen., but I wouldn't be surprised if Archie moves on from Samb.
Freeman came off the bench against Texas State, and played 30+ minutes. I think Samb can be an OK reserve, like as your third string 5. He's gotten worse as the season has gone on and there's more tape out there on him, seemingly. Less cheap buckets, almost no rebounding from him, and his fouls per 40 minutes is now around 6.4. He has four more personal fouls than rebounds this year. He probably needs to transfer down unless he's OK with playing 20 MPG or less going forward.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The TSU game was Samb's best 14 pts/7 rebs and showed he had a mid-range game and athleticism.

My issue with Samb is the lack of athleticism. I think he got blocked from behind by a 6’1 guard on a dunk attempt. He just doesn’t get off the floor well. If you are going to be a not too athletic big then you need to have plus ball skills - ie Andre Berry. Need to have a bag of moves and excellent footwork. Don’t necessarily see that potential with him.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The TSU game was Samb's best 14 pts/8 rebs and showed he had a good mid-range game and athleticism.

Freeman came off the bench against Texas State, and played 30+ minutes. I think Samb can be an OK reserve, like as your third string 5. He's gotten worse as the season has gone on and there's more tape out there on him, seemingly. Less cheap buckets, almost no rebounding from him, and his fouls per 40 minutes is now around 6.4. He has four more personal fouls than rebounds this year. He probably needs to transfer down unless he's OK with playing 20 MPG or less going forward.
I also think Samb probably moves on and I feel he will be more efficient if he isn't the only big on the floor.
To me his natural position is at the 4.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

My issue with Samb is the lack of athleticism. I think he got blocked from behind by a 6’1 guard on a dunk attempt. He just doesn’t get off the floor well. If you are going to be a not too athletic big then you need to have plus ball skills - ie Andre Berry. Need to have a bag of moves and excellent footwork. Don’t necessarily see that potential with him.
I actually think he has lots of athleticism but still very raw and inexperienced.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

True, but he signed in year 2. EC and Hass signed year 1.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’d agree with this. Specifically I think he goes after a 4 that can score and rebound. And a 1 that is more a true facilitating PG. Personally I’m done with the combo guards at the 1 there are a plethora of great PGs out there we need to find us 1. A10 is a guard dominated league.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

I actually think he has lots of athleticism but still very raw and inexperienced.

If you think he has lots of athleticism what does Tchikou have? Alex can get his head to the rim whereas Samb barely gets the ball over it to dunk. I don’t see it Jersey. Seems very slow and plodding in his movement.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I also think Samb probably moves on and I feel he will be more efficient if he isn't the only big on the floor.
To me his natural position is at the 4.
I don’t see that either. He can’t put the ball on the floor. Can he make threes? His size is of the 4 man but his skills are of a 5 man. He’s like the prototypical low major center. Rory fits more of the 4 man archetype IMO but only if he can defend his position. Right now he can’t.