1/28 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/28 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

With shot blocking and defense there should be more breakaway baskets. Seems when Sheppard gets the ball on the break he dribbles a lot and slows the pace.

When Thomas is PG he forces the pace, passes more, looks upcourt as would a Kolek or Dowtin.

7 A10 games and Thomas has 19 assists to 3 turnovers. 1 TO was the all time steals leader trapped him at half court and stole it, last game Thomas threw a lob pass to a Mitchell who seemed to slow down a bit on his stride and pass went long, can’t recall the 3rd TO which says something when I can recall TOs because the are so few.

Thomas makes the team go, forces the tempo and does so efficiently.

Cox was too conservative in allocating minutes to Toppin - DC_Rams and I disagreed. He was conservative in replacing Christion Thompson with Tyrese Martin. I give him credit for finding Thomas, noticing his ability to bypass the scheduled Red-Shirt year and for giving him the start with 38 minutes vs Richmond and Gilyard - I’d love for him to give the PG duties to Thomas and see where it goes.

This team needs some energy on offense.

4A319EA0-AD98-4C82-9A12-674613B48D70.jpeg
Big difference is Dowtin was a great scorer in addition to being a great facilitator.

Thomas has the vision to be a great PG, no one is doubting that. He doesn’t have enough shooters around him right now and his individual ability to score is lackluster
The first half of Jeff’s freshmen year he wasn’t a great scorer, and even in the second half of the year he was not a great three point threat. I’m not saying the Thomas will have the end of freshmen year that an all time Rhody great did, but he can improve on where he is now. He is getting decent looks, he is getting to the rim as well just needs to work on finishing those takes and playing into the contact to draw the foul.
I’m more interested in how a PG makes the team go, especially off long defensive rebounds and blocked shots.

There were also KB posters in Dowtin’s freshman year who said he wasn’t a point guard and couldn’t dribble. True.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

With shot blocking and defense there should be more breakaway baskets. Seems when Sheppard gets the ball on the break he dribbles a lot and slows the pace.

When Thomas is PG he forces the pace, passes more, looks upcourt as would a Kolek or Dowtin.

7 A10 games and Thomas has 19 assists to 3 turnovers. 1 TO was the all time steals leader trapped him at half court and stole it, last game Thomas threw a lob pass to a Mitchell who seemed to slow down a bit on his stride and pass went long, can’t recall the 3rd TO which says something when I can recall TOs because the are so few.

Cox was too conservative in allocating minutes to Toppin - DC_Rams and I disagreed. He was conservative in replacing Christion Thompson with Tyrese Martin. I give him credit for finding Thomas, noticing his ability to bypass the scheduled Red-Shirt year and for giving him the start with 38 minutes vs Richmond and Gilyard - I’d love for him to give the PG duties to Thomas and see where it goes.

Big difference is Dowtin was a great scorer in addition to being a great facilitator.

Thomas has the vision to be a great PG, no one is doubting that. He doesn’t have enough shooters around him right now and his individual ability to score is lackluster
The first half of Jeff’s freshmen year he wasn’t a great scorer, and even in the second half of the year he was not a great three point threat. I’m not saying the Thomas will have the end of freshmen year that an all time Rhody great did, but he can improve on where he is now. He is getting decent looks, he is getting to the rim as well just needs to work on finishing those takes and playing into the contact to draw the foul.
Jeff had a midrange game the second he came to URI. He wasn't known as a shooter, but he still shot 35% from the 3 his freshman year..

Thomas is shooting 15% from 3 and 30% from the free-throw line.

Thomas has a decent runner, and if he has a step on his guy, he can finish well going to the hoop. Unfortunately, his shot is brutal right now.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago At minimum a team playing defense like we do and blocking shots at the rate we do should have a much better record against the comp we have faced. It’s more damning of the coaching and game strategy IMO
It should be impossible to struggle as much as we do on offense.

Our defense is almost as good as any of Hurleys, but we have all these guards that can't score. Literally can't make a basket.
It’s actually comical how bad the 3 guard are.
Have we ever had a worse group of guards? We've never been in a position where we don't have anybody that can just go get a bucket.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

It should be impossible to struggle as much as we do on offense.

Our defense is almost as good as any of Hurleys, but we have all these guards that can't score. Literally can't make a basket.
Have we ever had a worse group of guards? We've never been in a position where we don't have anybody that can just go get a bucket.
Talent-wise, and going off of last year, you wouldn't think we'd be that bad.

It's almost like there's some piece from a "leadership" or "development" standpoint that this team is lacking.

Like if there was one person responsible to put players in positions to be successful, and put development processes in place to help them improve their game.

Man if college basketball was a sport where that mattered, you could just get a coach and be better.

Oh well. It's all part of the process.

(Serious question - has ANYONE improved under David Cox from year to year?)
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dowtin was a 35% shooter from 3pt range his freshmen year, 39% sophomore year. Thomas is a 15%. Not even in the same universe
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Not sure there are any haters. He is a good player that will no doubt get better.
However he cant shoot right now. He seems to have the work ethic to get better, but sometimes players just don't.
So, a PG that can't shoot from 3 causes the lane to become clogged.
Worse, a PG that you can't play at the end of close games is tough (31% FT).

He may get better, but he also may just be a good 6-8th man going forward.
"PG that can't shoot from 3 causes the lane to become clogged." This statement is not entirely true. There have been plenty of good to great point guards who are and were not good shooters.

At a high level...
Jason Kidd, Eric Snow, Lonzo Ball, Rajon Rondo

On the college level...
Mark Wade (UNLV), Andre Curbelo (current Illinois), Jacque Vaughan (Kansas), Pepe Sanchez (Temple)
Most of the players you listed were still efficient though because they had decent 2-point jumpers, or, they draw a lot of free throws. Right now, Thomas isn't doing either of those - He'd need to shoot 8 FTs in URI's next game to even get to 1 FTA per game.
Actually, most of the guys couldn't shoot straight, period. And Eric Snow was an awful FT shooter...46% FT shooter in college.

My point is that one can be a pass-first point guard without a great shot. Carlos Easterling was an effective point guard at URI. (He wasn't all-conference but he had a nice career and was a winner.) If Sebastian Thomas has Easterling's career, I'll take that.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I agree with you, but I also don't think that kind of jump or improvement is going to happen in-season at this point. That's why I kind of cringe at the idea of starting Thomas right now, for example. I think 10 to 20 MPG is just the right amount.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

"PG that can't shoot from 3 causes the lane to become clogged." This statement is not entirely true. There have been plenty of good to great point guards who are and were not good shooters.

At a high level...

On the college level...
Mark Wade (UNLV), Andre Curbelo (current Illinois), Jacque Vaughan (Kansas), Pepe Sanchez (Temple)
Most of the players you listed were still efficient though because they had decent 2-point jumpers, or, they draw a lot of free throws. Right now, Thomas isn't doing either of those - He'd need to shoot 8 FTs in URI's next game to even get to 1 FTA per game.
Actually, most of the guys couldn't shoot straight, period. And Eric Snow was an awful FT shooter...46% FT shooter in college.

My point is that one can be a pass-first point guard without a great shot. Carlos Easterling was an effective point guard at URI. (He wasn't all-conference but he had a nice career and was a winner.) If Sebastian Thomas has Easterling's career, I'll take that.
Snow shot 52 percent from the field in his college career, and even though he was at 46 percent from the line, getting there and drawing fouls is still valuable - he averaged 2.0 FTA a game, with a high of 3.6 as a senior. He also led the Big Ten in assists two years, and was the Defensive Player of the Year one year. Thomas is shooting 39.7 percent from the field - Snow's low was 48 percent, his freshman year.

Easterling is a better comparison, but he still got to the line 3 times a game his freshman year. He also went down in MPG as his college career went on. That's before my time, so I'm not sure if that's injury-related or if Abdul Fox and Charles Cofield simply outplayed him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well, somebody agrees with me :D

Plain and Simple: SeBastian Thomas needs to play 30+ minutes a night the rest of the season

URI’s most important piece to the future deserves more playing time. Rookie guard SeBastian Thomas has not looked or played like he’s in his first season of college basketball. The poise, pace and confidence he exudes are traits of all-league players, ones capable to leading their teams to an A10 championship. Last week he started in place of injured Jeremy Sheppard. In 38 minutes, he dished out a career-high 7 dimes against just 2 turnovers while being guarded by Richmond fifth-year senior Jacob Gilyard, the NCAA’s all-time steals leader. Here’s a few quotes Cox said afterwards about Thomas:

“I expect to see that more regularly and consistently moving forward.”
“(He) runs our offense.”
“Took a hug step today.”

These comments would suggest Thomas will find himself on the floor more. Sheppard and Ish El-Amin are gone in two months and Jalen Carey is not a starting caliber player at this point. Ish Leggett is not a true point. Invest in the future while also giving the team the best chance to win.

768B9995-0BBE-4952-829C-9E99C4AB3EAF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At a high level...

On the college level...

I looked up Dowtin's Freshman Year. Hurley put him in the starting line up at PG the 14th game of his 1st year.

Jeff was 3-8 FTs in his 1st 13 games coming in off the bench for 37.5%
Through the regular season and A10 Tournament Jeff's FT's were 18-39 for 46%

Jeff then hit 6-8 FG, 1-2 3FG and 10-10 FTs for 23 points against Creighton in the NCA Tournament in Sacramento for URI's 1st NCAAA win since Jim Harrick.

He finished the season 28-49 FTs for 57% but none bigger than that 10-10 vs Creighton

The rest of his career speaks for itself. Hurley saw the talent and moved on it, despite only 3-8 FTs in his 1st 13 games.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Well, somebody agrees with me :D

Plain and Simple: SeBastian Thomas needs to play 30+ minutes a night the rest of the season

URI’s most important piece to the future deserves more playing time. Rookie guard SeBastian Thomas has not looked or played like he’s in his first season of college basketball. The poise, pace and confidence he exudes are traits of all-league players, ones capable to leading their teams to an A10 championship. Last week he started in place of injured Jeremy Sheppard. In 38 minutes, he dished out a career-high 7 dimes against just 2 turnovers while being guarded by Richmond fifth-year senior Jacob Gilyard, the NCAA’s all-time steals leader. Here’s a few quotes Cox said afterwards about Thomas:

“(He) runs our offense.”
“Took a hug step today.”

These comments would suggest Thomas will find himself on the floor more. Sheppard and Ish El-Amin are gone in two months and Jalen Carey is not a starting caliber player at this point. Ish Leggett is not a true point. Invest in the future while also giving the team the best chance to win.

Any reason why you posted this three separate times in three different threads?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

“(He) runs our offense.”
“Took a hug step today.”

Simple
Because people talk about the same subject in multiple threads.

In addition,
part of this is article is about Sebastian Thomas starting in two different threads and part of the article is about David Cox job status.

I could have posted in a 4th because there are two separate threads on David Cox.

Even mores, I could post it in every game thread because firing David Cox dominates every game thread, even though there are two (not one) David ox Threads : David Cox and FIRE COX. I'd ask to have them consolidated but to no avail.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I mean, I hope you Thomas truthers are right. If his offense doesn't develop, he's not really playable for more than 5 to 10 minutes in the future. I think his youth, true freshman status and lack of a better option at backup PG makes it worth playing him 10 to 20 MPG right now, but Cox should also be aggressive in recruiting another PG, because I don't think it's automatic that he has a lock on the position for the next three years. The idea of giving him 30+ minutes this year seems crazy to me, unless the goal is to lose more.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Goal is to win the A10 Tournament. If we lose a couple more games before the A10 Tournament because Thomas is playing 30+ minutes so be it, then again we might win a couple more games with Thomas getting 30+ minutes.

Keeping the status quo means keeping the status quo.

For sure we should recruit at least 1 more PG, probably 2 or at least 1 PG and a Combo Guard for next year. Should have done that for this current year hindsight 20-20.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

URI's most important piece to the future deserves more playing time. Rookie guard SeBastian Thomas has not looked or played like he's in his first season of college basketball. The poise, pace and confidence he exudes are traits of all-league players, ones capable to leading their teams to an A10 championship. Last week he started in place of injured Jeremy Sheppard. In 38 minutes, he dished out a career-high 7 dimes against just 2 turnovers while being guarded by Richmond fifth-year senior Jacob Gilyard, the NCAA's all-time steals leader. Here's a few quotes Cox said afterwards about Thomas:

"I expect to see that more regularly and consistently moving forward."
"(He) runs our offense."
"Took a hug step today."

Simple

In addition,
part of this is article is about Sebastian Thomas starting in two different threads and part of the article is about David Cox job status.

I could have posted in a 4th because there are two separate threads on David Cox.
Morey is 100% correct. Thoms is by far our best point guard. He's the only pure point guard on the roster and the season is over. We should play our young guys...Morey didn't bring up his shooting.

By saying "somebody agrees with me" you're implying that you are the only one that has said that Thomas should start. I said he should start with Shep. Other people have said they want him starting as well.. Bone said he wants him to stay if Cox gets fired because he like his game. What most are debating is his ability to score the ball. So far, his shooting has been dreadful. Then again, if he could shoot the ball well, he probably wouldn't be on this roster and would be playing for a better program.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Simple

In addition,

Morey is 100% correct. Thoms is by far our best point guard. He's the only pure point guard on the roster and the season is over. We should play our young guys...Morey didn't bring up his shooting.

By saying "somebody agrees with me" you're implying that you are the only one that has said that Thomas should start. I said he should start with Shep. Other people have said they want him starting as well.. Bone said he wants him to stay if Cox gets fired because he like his game. What most are debating is his ability to score the ball. So far, his shooting has been dreadful. Then again, if he could shoot the ball well, he probably wouldn't be on this roster and would be playing for a better program.
He can shoot the ball, Cox said he shoots well in practices and Thomas shot 11-11 FTs vs North Kingstown in a HS Playoff game his senior year. He averaged 23.5 points his senior year in high school.
But regardless, you don't need your PG to be a big scorer. His FG% is the same right now as a Freshman as Fatts Russell's FG% and Russell is a 5th year Senior having his best FG% of his 5 year career.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Simple

In addition,

He can shoot the ball, Cox said he shoots well in practices and Thomas shot 11-11 FTs vs North Kingstown in a HS Playoff game his senior year. He averaged 23.5 points his senior year in high school.
But regardless, you don't need your PG to be a big scorer. His FG% is the same right now as a Freshman as Fatts Russell's FG% and Russell is a 5th year Senior having his best FG% of his 5 year career.
His shooting form is horrendous and that will translate to continued struggles shooting the basketball at the D1 level. He should focus on using his quickness, beating his man, and getting to the basket to score, scoring in transition, etc. Of course Cox is going to say he shoots well in practices, he's trying to keep his confidence up. This is coach speak.

I love his quickness, motor, energy and creativity.. but he is a below average shooter at the college level
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Simple

In addition,

I went 4-for-4 from the line against Prout in freshman hoops. Where's my scholarship? I have no idea why you keep cherry picking Thomas' stats from his high school career as if there's a good correlation between that and how he'll perform in D-1 college basketball. I imagine his "natural" shooting percentage from the line isn't actually 30 percent, but I doubt it's 100 percent either. Like most players, he's probably going to settle in the 65 to 70 percent range, once the sample size is large enough.

Russell goes to the line 4.6 times a game and shoots 31 percent from 3, not 15 percent. Defenses have to guard him. It's not like Russell is setting the world on fire - his PER is 15.4, and he turns the ball over more than you'd like, even for an attacking guard. Thomas racking up 7 or 8 assists in a game is nice, but it's totally negated when he shoots 0-for-8. I don't think doubling his playing time via a promotion to starter is going to "solve" his shooting issues this year - I think it's probably something he needs to work on over the summer.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I went 4-for-4 from the line against Prout in freshman hoops. Where's my scholarship? I have no idea why you keep cherry picking Thomas' stats from his high school career as if there's a good correlation between that and how he'll perform in D-1 college basketball. I imagine his "natural" shooting percentage from the line isn't actually 30 percent, but I doubt it's 100 percent either. Like most players, he's probably going to settle in the 65 to 70 percent range, once the sample size is large enough.

Russell goes to the line 4.6 times a game and shoots 31 percent from 3, not 15 percent. Defenses have to guard him. It's not like Russell is setting the world on fire - his PER is 15.4, and he turns the ball over more than you'd like, even for an attacking guard. Thomas racking up 7 or 8 assists in a game is nice, but it's totally negated when he shoots 0-for-8. I don't think doubling his playing time via a promotion to starter is going to "solve" his shooting issues this year - I think it's probably something he needs to work on over the summer.
Ya, I played for NK, and I think my best free throw performance was when I went 7-7 but that was a long time ago... I did win the free-throw shooting contest at the Jim Baron camp and played knockout with Lamar Odom... Maybe I can send that to Cox, and he'll consider starting me against Fordham???
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Also, if we're getting into the business of re-posting old stats constantly, what about Thomas' Peach Jam performance? His totals from that were 29 percent from the field, 26 percent from 3, 52 percent from the line, against D-I caliber competition. Given that our big men have actually played pretty well over the past couple of years, I think if URI retains Cox, he needs to bring in someone who can work with the guards and improve their shooting. Betrand, Martin and Sheppard have all regressed from their previous schools, or been inconsistent with their shooting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So we simply disagree. You would continue to stick with Sheppard at PG, I'd roll the dice with Thomas as PG. Simple as that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ya, I played for NK, and I think my best free throw performance was when I went 7-7 but that was a long time ago... I did win the free-throw shooting contest at the Jim Baron camp and played knockout with Lamar Odom... Maybe I can send that to Cox, and he'll consider starting me against Fordham???
Sure do that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The most I ever scored in HS was 27 and that included 7-13 from the FT line. Still bugs me I didn't get 30. But I will say my FT form and percentage has translated almost exactly to how I currently shoot in the driveway....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

His shooting form is horrendous and that will translate to continued struggles shooting the basketball at the D1 level. He should focus on using his quickness, beating his man, and getting to the basket to score, scoring in transition, etc. Of course Cox is going to say he shoots well in practices, he's trying to keep his confidence up. This is coach speak.

I love his quickness, motor, energy and creativity.. but he is a below average shooter at the college level

It is Coach speak. I agree to an extent, but it also could be true that he is shooting better in practice.

At the end of the day, I'd start Thomas and play him at else 30 minutes. It comes down to does URI have a better chance of winning the AQ in DC with Thomas or Sheppard at PG. We know what Sheppard can do. Let's see what Thomas can do leading the team over the next several games. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose but a few games that we might lose with Sheppard at PG anyway.

And as for Coach speak, it's the same thought I had when Cox talked about having fun. The context was after a tough game with GW, especially at the FT line when Makhi went 2-12. Cox was trying to deflect and take some pressure off Makhi and the team. That's all. It's coach speak. Yet Cox got hit hard here like he didn't care about winning or results. It was trying to get the guys to relax, have fun, don't get too nervous about the FTs. Cox doesn't do everything right, but he doesn't do everything wrong either. Nobody does.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But Ramster it was bad coach speak. Yes it probably didn’t come out as he intended but given the results saying we are out here to have fun is not something I’ve ever heard another D1 coach say. “We are out here to compete” sure, but this isn’t rec ball. I’m not even sure id want my high school coach to say that. Coach speak is called that bc it’s stuff you hear other coaches say but I can’t recall another coach saying that.

It was also his third faux pas with a media message. To refresh:

“I called the play but Fatts did his own thing”

“I spent a lot of time game planning for Tre Mitchell”

He’s too seasoned and experienced to not see the error in his ways.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As far as Thomas I’ll say this. Kolek and Yuri Collins are good aspirational comps for Thomas. Neither is a good 3 pt shooter but have found a way to be highly impactful. That’s prob his ceiling. However I will agree that a PG that isn’t a perimeter threat has a definite ceiling. Carlos Easterling was fine for what he was but eventually Jason Gilliam (Alexander) showed up and Easterling was marginalized. A PGs ability to score from the perimeter outweighs a couple more assists a night.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

It's almost like there's some piece from a "leadership" or "development" standpoint that this team is lacking.

Like if there was one person responsible to put players in positions to be successful, and put development processes in place to help them improve their game.

Man if college basketball was a sport where that mattered, you could just get a coach and be better.

Yes, the players who play against us.
'No Mercy.'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago

Jacob Toppin and Tyrese Martin
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Antwan Walker has improved but he doesn't play him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

30 minutes for Bassy seems a little high to me considering we have others who deserve minutes also

I do want Bassy playing 20-25 a night to develop
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I really hope you didn’t just say Toppin improved under Cox, seeing how he played one season under him.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I really hope you didn’t just say Toppin improved under Cox, seeing how he played one season under him.
It’s a joke.

Just as it immediately followed “yes, the players who play against us” by Sweep the Leg

:roll:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It’s a joke.

Just as it immediately followed “yes, the players who play against us” by Sweep the Leg

Tough crowd sometimes, eh? :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

It’s a joke.

Now waiting for “I don’t believe you were joking”

Meanwhile back to watching Texas at Texas Tech in Lubbock and watching the Nature Boy Ric Flair in attendance “Wooooooooo”!!!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Alabama has cut 18 point Auburn lead to 4
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

It’s a joke.

Now waiting for “I don’t believe you were joking”

Meanwhile back to watching Texas at Texas Tech in Lubbock and watching the Nature Boy Ric Flair in attendance “Wooooooooo”!!!!!
Wait, why is it a joke that Tyrese Martin improved under Cox?? He was without question a better player his second year here.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I mean, Tyrese played two years under Cox, so listing him as a player who improved isn't a stretch. Including Toppin along with Martin means you were serious about both of them improving under Cox.

According to you, you were joking and said "Well Tyrese improved, but not Toppin."

Seems like bullshit, which are the majority of your posts anyways.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

15....lots of free time to analyze and critique posts. Or, is that a paid position? Asking for a friend....
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago 15....lots of free time to analyze and critique posts. Or, is that a paid position? Asking for a friend....
I mean it's pretty easy to remember that Tyrese played with Cox for two years and was a better player in his sophomore year?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago 15....lots of free time to analyze and critique posts. Or, is that a paid position? Asking for a friend....
Literally everyone here analyzes and critique's posts.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Thomas is just like Cam Newton was last year for the Patriots. You don't need to be a guru to see that the form is completely off. You can have one off games where your form is off and you still shoot well, like I guess some game in high school nobody cares about, but long term if your form is that far off you're not going to be consistently successful. People have said Thomas needs to get up a bunch of shots this offseason, I disagree if it's shots with that form. He needs a coach to completely retool his shooting form this offseason
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago But Ramster it was bad coach speak. Yes it probably didn’t come out as he intended but given the results saying we are out here to have fun is not something I’ve ever heard another D1 coach say. “We are out here to compete” sure, but this isn’t rec ball. I’m not even sure id want my high school coach to say that. Coach speak is called that bc it’s stuff you hear other coaches say but I can’t recall another coach saying that.

It's one thing to tell the guys in the locker room they need to loosen up and have fun out there if you think they're playing tight. It's an entirely different thing to say what he said after the GW game to the media, and it was unacceptable
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Snow shot 52 percent from the field in his college career, and even though he was at 46 percent from the line, getting there and drawing fouls is still valuable - he averaged 2.0 FTA a game, with a high of 3.6 as a senior. He also led the Big Ten in assists two years, and was the Defensive Player of the Year one year. Thomas is shooting 39.7 percent from the field - Snow's low was 48 percent, his freshman year.

Easterling is a better comparison, but he still got to the line 3 times a game his freshman year. He also went down in MPG as his college career went on. That's before my time, so I'm not sure if that's injury-related or if Abdul Fox and Charles Cofield simply outplayed him.
Eric Snow shot 52% FG because he only shot layups...he was a blur with the ball. 52.1% from FG range, 26.3% from 3 and 45.4% from the line tells you he couldn't shoot straight. The number of jump shots he made I can count on one hand. (He passed it to Shawn Respert who made the jump shots and led to Snow's assists.) He was a great defender.

As for Easterling, URI developed more depth at backcourt over his career. Jason Alexander (not that Jason Alexander) came in and began to take minutes but they shared minutes. Then Alexander transferred (to UNC-Charlotte, I believe). Cofield, more of a 2-guard, was not a true PG but he was forced to play it after Easterling graduated. (Abdul Fox was a 6'6" wing...and a damn good one.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago But Ramster it was bad coach speak. Yes it probably didn’t come out as he intended but given the results saying we are out here to have fun is not something I’ve ever heard another D1 coach say. “We are out here to compete” sure, but this isn’t rec ball. I’m not even sure id want my high school coach to say that. Coach speak is called that bc it’s stuff you hear other coaches say but I can’t recall another coach saying that.

It's one thing to tell the guys in the locker room they need to loosen up and have fun out there if you think they're playing tight. It's an entirely different thing to say what he said after the GW game to the media, and it was unacceptable
I'd agree. I did not hear the post game radio interview. I don't know what the context of the conversation was. This was the game Makhi shot 2-12 FTs.
I believe it was in association with that context of some guys on the team being tight with their shooting. We all agree this didn't need to be said but I don't know the context.

But what people are saying since that statement was shared here (without context) is that it's game day, just go out and have fun, winning doesn't matter. References to the "just have fun" continue.

Season isn't over until the A10 Tournament is over. Then Thorr will make his decision.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Eric Snow shot 52% FG because he only shot layups...he was a blur with the ball. 52.1% from FG range, 26.3% from 3 and 45.4% from the line tells you he couldn't shoot straight. The number of jump shots he made I can count on one hand. (He passed it to Shawn Respert who made the jump shots and led to Snow's assists.) He was a great defender.

As for Easterling, URI developed more depth at backcourt over his career. Jason Alexander (not that Jason Alexander) came in and began to take minutes but they shared minutes. Then Alexander transferred (to UNC-Charlotte, I believe). Cofield, more of a 2-guard, was not a true PG but he was forced to play it after Easterling graduated. (Abdul Fox was a 6'6" wing...and a damn good one.)
Alexander transferred to Stetson
Sean Colson played his freshman year at URI and transferred to UNC Charlotte - likely who you were thinking of
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thomas is just like Cam Newton was last year for the Patriots. You don't need to be a guru to see that the form is completely off. You can have one off games where your form is off and you still shoot well, like I guess some game in high school nobody cares about, but long term if your form is that far off you're not going to be consistently successful. People have said Thomas needs to get up a bunch of shots this offseason, I disagree if it's shots with that form. He needs a coach to completely retool his shooting form this offseason
The real question is would the team be potentially (emphasis on potentially) better with Thomas at PG? He is 2nd in the A10 in Assists / Turnover Ratio. Start Thomas in some upcoming games and let the results speak for themselves.
If not Thomas, then keep Sheppard at PG and recruit over Thomas for next year since Sheppard departs.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The real question is would the team be potentially (emphasis on potentially) better with Thomas at PG? He is 2nd in the A10 in Assists / Turnover Ratio. Start Thomas in some upcoming games and let the results speak for themselves.
If not Thomas, then keep Sheppard at PG and recruit over Thomas for next year since Sheppard departs.
His turnovers are low because he doesn't attack the rim on offense. Assist-to-turnover ratio is a stat that seems relevant, but doesn't really tell you much about a player without a bunch of other information. I keep bringing up Stevie Mejia, because his game reminds me the most of Thomas as a freshman, but he also had a good assist-to-turnover ratio. I don't think the team would be better by regularly starting a PG who shoots 15 percent from 3-point range and doesn't get to the line.

ETA: Here is a good piece about the NBA, and why assists-to-turnover is a flawed metric. I'd love if there was an assist-to-passing turnovers metric for college basketball, but unfortunately, I don't think NCAA statistics are able to be kept that finely, with 300+ teams and non-professional scorekeepers at times.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The real question is, is it relevant one way or the other? We're tied for 8th place with George Washington, so we're actually 9th place due to losing to them. We're 2.5 games behind Richmond for 7th place because we melted down against them at home. We're one game ahead of Fordham trying to stay out of the play in games for the tournament, so that lead could be wiped out by 9:30 tonight if we can't take care of business on the road. For the third year out of Cox' four years, we're in February and when talking about A10 seeding we're talking about the PIG games as opposed to the double bye.

Personally I probably would start playing Thomas more to see what you have for the future, because another Rhody season is already over, we're just playing out the string. But that's more about developing for the future and not necessarily about maxing out the win total, so Cox won't do that since he's fighting for his job
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The real question is, is it relevant one way or the other? We're tied for 8th place with George Washington, so we're actually 9th place due to losing to them. We're 2.5 games behind Richmond for 7th place because we melted down against them at home. We're one game ahead of Fordham trying to stay out of the play in games for the tournament, so that lead could be wiped out by 9:30 tonight if we can't take care of business on the road. For the third year out of Cox' four years, we're in February and when talking about A10 seeding we're talking about the PIG games as opposed to the double bye.

Personally I probably would start playing Thomas more to see what you have for the future, because another Rhody season is already over, we're just playing out the string. But that's more about developing for the future and not necessarily about maxing out the win total, so Cox won't do that since he's fighting for his job
That’s what I’ve been saying. It doesn’t matter.
There is no risk in playing Thomas. You can always go back to Sheppard.
No need to be conservative now.
And if you are well then…………..

Tonight we play Fordham. If we lose Fordham moves ahead of us because they will have the head to head tie breaker.
Time to take some risks.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Alexander transferred to Stetson
Sean Colson played his freshman year at URI and transferred to UNC Charlotte - likely who you were thinking of
Thank you for the correction. In my older age, my recollection of who transferred where has diminished.