2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

Watched the game today and wanted to see two specific plays:

1). The 3 second call on Makhi. The Ref went over to David Cox after the call and said something to him. I guessed it was along the lines that Makhi was in the lane a long time so I had to call it. I replayed it several times and counting 1001, 1002, 1003……I was never able to get to 1003 so in other words he was only in the lane 2 seconds. Don’t see 3 seconds called very often any more - so odd to rewatch and actually count. Also wonder how instant replays could help at the Ryan Center like every other Arena seems to have. Would Refs be more cautious and accurate with calls knowing fans could watch and react?

2.) Sitting close to mid-court I thought with 4 minutes left in the game that Jalen Carey got away with one when he crossed mid court and threw backwards to Sheppard. It looked like a backcourt violation. Watching the replay today and hearing the announcers they also thought backcourt violation. I tend to hold my breath a lot whenever Carey dribbles and/or passes the ball.

Calls tend to even out and these two did.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Watched the game today and wanted to see two specific plays:

1). The 3 second call on Makhi. The Ref went over to David Cox after the call and said something to him. I guessed it was along the lines that Makhi was in the lane a long time so I had to call it. I replayed it several times and counting 1001, 1002, 1003……I was never able to get to 1003 so in other words he was only in the lane 2 seconds. Don’t see 3 seconds called very often any more - so odd to rewatch and actually count. Also wonder how instant replays could help at the Ryan Center like every other Arena seems to have. Would Refs be more cautious and accurate with calls knowing fans could watch and react?

2.) Sitting close to mid-court I thought with 4 minutes left in the game that Jalen Carey got away with one when he crossed mid court and threw backwards to Sheppard. It looked like a backcourt violation. Watching the replay today and hearing the announcers they also thought backcourt violation. I tend to hold my breath a lot whenever Carey dribbles and/or passes the ball.

Yeah I remember the Caray one looked like a backcourt violation and the ref looked out of position
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Watched the game today and wanted to see two specific plays:

Yeah I remember the Caray one looked like a backcourt violation and the ref looked out of position
The 3 second call surprised me Reef. I would think I’d be upwards to 4 seconds before calling it as a Ref. But to be 2 seconds and turn the ball over just seemed odd. Rarely see 3 seconds called anymore. Used to be fairly common many years ago.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

This was a post on the A10 Message Board:

"Dayton and URI make basketball almost unwatchable when they butt heads. After the Davidson win I thought the Rams would draw more than several dozen fans. This is when the team/program need you most.

The Mitchell twins dont have a ton of offense but lordy do they protect the rim."

This too from the Dayton Board

What an ugly slobberknocker of a game, just like the first one with RI. Hopefully we don't play them again.
Big win though, that was huge.
Its somewhat odd to hear that we are a "big win" for anyone. I know winning on the road in any conference game is difficult, but I would almost look at it as avoiding a bad loss, which is how we are trending.
I think we’re a big win in the sense we’re the toughest “bad loss” on anyones schedule.

I expect to see teams hoping we’re not on their schedule in the A10 tourney, as weird as that sounds to us on to us board
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago [/i]

What an ugly slobberknocker of a game, just like the first one with RI. Hopefully we don't play them again.
Its somewhat odd to hear that we are a "big win" for anyone. I know winning on the road in any conference game is difficult, but I would almost look at it as avoiding a bad loss, which is how we are trending.
I think we’re a big win in the sense we’re the toughest “bad loss” on anyones schedule.

I expect to see teams hoping we’re not on their schedule in the A10 tourney, as weird as that sounds to us on to us board
Bad loss? We are a Quad 2 loss when teams lose at the RC. A Quad 2 is a bad loss? Dayton just had a Quad 2 win.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Bad loss? We are a Quad 2 loss when teams lose at the RC. A Quad 2 is a bad loss?
1) couple more losses and we could easily slip to a Quad 3 road loss

2) Only chance for Dayton or other A10 teams to get an at large bid is essentially win out. We’re the toughest challenge many of them face outside of the obvious top tier. At least that’s how their fans seem to feel
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bad loss? We are a Quad 2 loss when teams lose at the RC. A Quad 2 is a bad loss?

2) Only chance for Dayton or other A10 teams to get an at large bid is essentially win out. We’re the toughest challenge many of them face outside of the obvious top tier. At least that’s how their fans seem to feel
1) We are a Quad 2 road win/loss.
2) No team is getting an At Large bid from the A10 as it stands.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

1) no shit that’s why I said if we keep losing
2) no shit that’s why I said they need to win out

Hope this helps
https://www.hookedonphonics.com/
theblueram
Frank Keaney

1) no shit that’s why I said if we keep losing
2) no shit that’s why I said they need to win out

Hope this helps
https://www.hookedonphonics.com/
You're the one who said we are a bad loss.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’m watching the PC game right now. It’s pretty much pathetic watching the court side people at this game: they’re all standing up and cheering. Our court side people are expected to sit on their hands and look serious.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago I’m watching the PC game right now. It’s pretty much pathetic watching the court side people at this game: they’re all standing up and cheering. Our court side people are expected to sit on their hands and look serious.
Definitely no signs!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago I’m watching the PC game right now. It’s pretty much pathetic watching the court side people at this game: they’re all standing up and cheering. Our court side people are expected to sit on their hands and look serious.
But we can hold a beer in one hand now. Plus we have that ball shooting barrel machine. I watched it lose steam last night as it got over towards the pep band. And I also saw for the first time that the guy carries a stick with him and he used it to unclog some balls as they started to get low in the barrel. Fascinating. Don’t leave early or you will miss this.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Definitely no signs!!!
……..and it is their pink out…….did I miss ours…….did I miss the white out game…….but I did get a beach towel to share……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….but I did get a beach towel to share……..
I was going to ask for 2 towels since you know we have 2 tickets but the beach towel enforcer was emphatic with the woman in front of me.. 1 per account. With all the season ticket no shows those towels will be the giveaway for the next 10 years..
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I felt there were two 3 pointers Dayton had that the players foot was on the line. One in each half (the 2nd was during their run to go up 44-34 and changed to 45-34. I couldn't believe they reviewed it and added the point after the time out. I re-winded both plays a few times and it looked like a long 2 to me each time.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just put it on. Seems PC is copying our “Pink Out” idea from the mid to late 2000s (I think 2007 was the first year?). Whatever happened to that?

And I sort of kid. I’m sure URI isn’t the only team to think of it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Just put it on. Seems PC is copying our “Pink Out” idea from the mid to late 2000s (I think 2007 was the first year?). Whatever happened to that?

And I sort of kid. I’m sure URI isn’t the only team to think of it.
I don't think there's anyone thinking on the marketing team.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago [/i]

NCAAT appearances last for a bit for other fans. It's only been 3+ years since we won the regular season title, got an At Large bid and won a game against Oklahoma.
Feels like 30 years since that team.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Definitely no signs!!!
Just came back from the PC game. It’s embarrassing how much better they are than us right now. The game was a blast and it was fun to see PC lose
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t recall the 3 seconds on Makhi but I agree it should be a blatant call , can’t call it if it’s close
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
But we can hold a beer in one hand now. Plus we have that ball shooting barrel machine. I watched it lose steam last night as it got over towards the pep band. And I also saw for the first time that the guy carries a stick with him and he used it to unclog some balls as they started to get low in the barrel. Fascinating. Don’t leave early or you will miss this.

I absolutely crack up every time that stupid ball machine gets wheeled out.

Works for about 20 seconds then it shits the bed. Every game.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Definitely no signs!!!
Just came back from the PC game. It’s embarrassing how much better they are than us right now. The game was a blast and it was fun to see PC lose
PC students also sit lower section and upper section behind a hoop.

We aren’t the only ones who put students in those sections.
Go Rhody