12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Why would P5 teams agree to play us this year?

We wouldn’t be a good win, and we’d be a terrible lose for any P6 team. Also, we didn’t get invited to the above
average MTE’s because we weren’t supposed to be as good as years past.

It’s pretty simple to understand why the schedule is the way it is this season.
The schedule absolutely makes sense based on the team we have become in the last few years. That’s a lot of our problems.

We understand why we’re playing crap teams. So we are angry that the program has regressed back to 2011/2012 where we’re going to be a bad loss/bad win for any good team with tournament aspirations.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago You absolutely have to throw their record and NET out, their All American and Lottery pick has barely played.

Would not be surprised in the least bit if they beat us.

They're at home with the best player on the floor, one of the best freshman in the country.

Should we win? Yea probably, and Vegas seems to agree too.

Would I be shocked if we lost? Absolutely not.
This is exactly how I feel...
Are you now shocked that we destroyed this team? Were we that good or were they that bad? or both?
Anyone that has paid attention to how we play under Cox should not be shocked at all... I wouldn't be shocked by us winning by 30 or losing by 10.

I said that this is a team that we should beat, and it would be a bad loss, but we are an extremely inconsistent team and don't know who will show up. I was with vegas and predicted we would win by 8.. Assuming that we will murder anyone on the road is risky. FGCU is a perfect example of a team we dominated and then collapsed. This didn't happen Monday

Regardless, this win means absolutely nothing for our resume. Neither do the next two games.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Put down your crack pipe. Like I have always said, I believe you are a friar fan.
Everyone who disagrees with you is a PC fan.
Not true. You are though
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

C of C is a decent team.

I would say that a win is no sure thing against a DECENT team on the road.

Brown at home we should win, but it won't be any cakewalk.

I'll predict 1-1, a final OOC record of 9-4....1 win better than my prediction in the contest.

Woo Hoo!!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Baldwin predicted to go 7th in Jeff Goodman's first mock draft.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans- ... 2-15-2021/
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This is exactly how I feel...
Are you now shocked that we destroyed this team? Were we that good or were they that bad? or both?
Anyone that has paid attention to how we play under Cox should not be shocked at all... I wouldn't be shocked by us winning by 30 or losing by 10.

I said that this is a team that we should beat, and it would be a bad loss, but we are an extremely inconsistent team and don't know who will show up. I was with vegas and predicted we would win by 8.. Assuming that we will murder anyone on the road is risky. FGCU is a perfect example of a team we dominated and then collapsed. This didn't happen Monday

Regardless, this win means absolutely nothing for our resume. Neither do the next two games.
FGCU was our third game in four days, on the road, against a rested team. Running out of gas in the second half is the expected outcome and I don’t think is a great indicator of what the team is. We still should have won, but it was not a complete shock. PC is looking like a legit top 25 team now, no shame in that loss. I think we are going to be in good shape for the A10 slate.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

FGCU was our third game in four days, on the road, against a rested team. Running out of gas in the second half is the expected outcome and I don’t think is a great indicator of what the team is. We still should have won, but it was not a complete shock. PC is looking like a legit top 25 team now, no shame in that loss. I think we are going to be in good shape for the A10 slate.

We were rested against a weak Tulsa team and lost. Regardless, I don't buy that excuse. These are D1 college athletes in the best shape of their lives. They were fine... They got comfortable and started playing 1 on 1 basketball and left a lot of their guys wide open. All of a sudden they got hot and we collapsed. It was a bad loss.

Why are we in good shape beating a bunch of weak opponents?? How does that prepare us to play against the top teams in the A10??
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Baldwin predicted to go 7th in Jeff Goodman's first mock draft.

Possibility if he stays another year. Otherwise, he's just wrong.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Baldwin predicted to go 7th in Jeff Goodman's first mock draft.

Teams draft on projections and predictions moreso than production.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago FGCU was our third game in four days, on the road, against a rested team. Running out of gas in the second half is the expected outcome and I don’t think is a great indicator of what the team is. We still should have won, but it was not a complete shock. PC is looking like a legit top 25 team now, no shame in that loss. I think we are going to be in good shape for the A10 slate.
Sorry, not buying that. Our game plan was horrid. Their troll/point guard, taking advantage of the fact that we don't switch any screens, kept rubbing off high picks and getting open lanes to the basket or open jumpers. They played a high-school 2-3 zone which we have no clue how to handle because we can't get the ball inside and our outside shooting is erratic at best. We got out-scouted and out-coached.

In fact, any coach that doesn't employ those tactics against us this season is guilty of malpractice.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Do you realize how many players who currently play overseas are better than many young players in the NBA? It's all about potential... So he's not wrong, and the scouts aren't wrong.

I'm not worried about his shot because his shooting mechanics look perfect. His handle is excellent. His passing ability is better. He has the length and mobility to become a great defender. He should and will be a top 10 pick after this season..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago FGCU was our third game in four days, on the road, against a rested team. Running out of gas in the second half is the expected outcome and I don’t think is a great indicator of what the team is. We still should have won, but it was not a complete shock. PC is looking like a legit top 25 team now, no shame in that loss. I think we are going to be in good shape for the A10 slate.
Sorry, not buying that. Our game plan was horrid. Their troll/point guard, taking advantage of the fact that we don't switch any screens, kept rubbing off high picks and getting open lanes to the basket or open jumpers. They played a high-school 2-3 zone which we have no clue how to handle because we can't get the ball inside and our outside shooting is erratic at best. We got out-scouted and out-coached.

In fact, any coach that doesn't employ those tactics against us this season is guilty of malpractice.
I said the same thing to myself after that game about the zone against us.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think his draft stock would go *down* if he stayed another year. There's no point to him screwing around in a conference and on a team this bad, and typically, players improve more out of college than in it.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I think his draft stock would go *down* if he stayed another year. There's no point to him screwing around in a conference and on a team this bad, and typically, players improve more out of college than in it.
I would argue his draft stock would improve by staying in college another year but by going to a real program. Not because of the step up in competition but rather the step up in his teammates would make him look better
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

"typically, players improve more out of college than in it."...

Really? They do? Can you provide some data to back up that statement? How does one compare the level of improvement between years spent in college vs. years out of it?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Really? They do? Can you provide some data to back up that statement? How does one compare the level of improvement between years spent in college vs. years out of it?
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... er-college

I'm willing to bet that going to the NBA, where all you do is train with the best NBA trainers in the country while playing against the best players in the world, helps improve your game more than staying another year in the Horizon.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Stevey was quicker with the link that I was. Even before Pelton's piece though, in one of his yearly books (when he did them) Hollinger came to the same conclusion. Like anything, it isn't universal - Plenty of players are still physically growing and maturing, from 18 to 23, and college helps them. And if you're not going to be a first or second round draft pick, and get a serious look from a pro team, college is the better idea. But there are plenty of players who are clearly just wasting time in college hoops.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm willing to bet that going to the NBA, where all you do is train with the best NBA trainers in the country while playing against the best players in the world, helps improve your game more than staying another year in the Horizon.
Amazing to me that someone would pretend not to understand this even without looking at the empirical data on it. I mean, realistically, the only reason you’d even ask to see data to support a point this intuitively obvious is that you think the person you’re talking to won’t know where to find it and you’re trying to be a dink.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But but but where’s the data?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just saw Baldwin down to 12 on Matt Babcocks big board
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In college you are suppose to be coached for ~20 hours per week during the season. You are suppose to have an academic commitment. The season is ~6 months long and you have limited contact with coaches the rest of the year. In the pros you have a year long commitment to basketball if you want to reach your full potential. If there is equal commitment to the college and pro path, it is easy to see how one will develop faster as a basketball player on the pro path.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I just saw Baldwin down to 12 on Matt Babcocks big board
lol any time a player is "down to 12" in the NBA draft, seems to me like they're still doing alright.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago I just saw Baldwin down to 12 on Matt Babcocks big board
lol any time a player is "down to 12" in the NBA draft, seems to me like they're still doing alright.
All I know is that there's light years difference between him and Banchero (who I really only saw for the first time last night). Maybe Banchero is head and shoulders above everyone else and there's a huge range...I'm not a draftnik...but almost seems they were playing different sports.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I feel like there's usually a pretty sizable gap in between the top 1 or 2 or 3 guys (depending on the year) and the rest of the lottery picks.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Amazing to me that someone would pretend not to understand this even without looking at the empirical data on it. I mean, realistically, the only reason you'd even ask to see data to support a point this intuitively obvious is that you think the person you're talking to won't know where to find it and you're trying to be a dink.
Well, that's his thing. He comes on here and corrects people's grammar on a college sports message board and acts like someone is stupid for not having a PowerPoint presentation with exact data anytime they comment on anything..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
All I know is that there's light years difference between him and Banchero (who I really only saw for the first time last night). Maybe Banchero is head and shoulders above everyone else and there's a huge range...I'm not a draftnik...but almost seems they were playing different sports.
Go watch how Banchero looked against Lafeyette.. He sucked. Determining if a kid is a lottery pick from ONE game is ridiculous..

But yes, a kid who may go 1st in the NBA draft is typically better than someone around 10. They are both great players loaded with potential.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tuned in to Milwaukee @ Detroit Mercy to watch the Baldwn pro prospect show. Unfortunately, he's hurt/not playing. But, I figured since I didn't think he looked like a lottery pick vs Rhody...I YouTubed some of his highlights. And yeah, highlights are highlights, but the guy in the reel isn't even the same guy that played vs Rhody. He had to have been hurt, because he didn't just have a meh game against Rhody, he wasn't moving anywhere near the same as highlight reel guy.