David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Re: David Cox

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......if the season finishes winless and one and done in the Tourney.......I wouldn’t be shocked if Dave just walks way........
You know I actually thought about this happening as well. What if the guy wanted to be a HC and is now realizing this isn't for him? It would explain why he has no fire and looks miserable. Plays off the losses like - eh it happens.

Also - I was looking back at his resume ... what happened at Rutgers (honestly asking)? Kind of funny that DC was made interim head coach, but wasn't given the job the following season - no?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......if the season finishes winless and one and done in the Tourney.......I wouldn’t be shocked if Dave just walks way........
You know I actually thought about this happening as well. What if the guy wanted to be a HC and is now realizing this isn't for him? It would explain why he has no fire and looks miserable. Plays off the losses like - eh it happens.

Also - I was looking back at his resume ... what happened at Rutgers (honestly asking)? Kind of funny that DC was made interim head coach, but wasn't given the job the following season - no?

People are so so dumb. These types of posts continue to amaze me.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

He isn't resigning, so move on from that.
Last edited by SGreenwell 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What happened? The myth of Eddie Jordan happened.

Dave only coached 3 games when Rice was briefly suspended. Rice didn’t get fired until more information came out in the Spring about what all went down under him.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Unlike Rutgers where a legitimate search took place, the vast majority of members on this forum made it clear that there was only one candidate for the job; and that he was bringing in the greatest recruiting class since the Fab 5. The small minority that wanted to see a more open process were criticized for their perceived lack of knowledge and loyalty. We are now paying the price for not having a better vetting process.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Unlike Rutgers where a legitimate search took place, the vast majority of members on this forum made it clear that there was only one candidate for the job; and that he was bringing in the greatest recruiting class since the Fab 5. The small minority that wanted to see a more open process were criticized for their perceived lack of knowledge and loyalty. We are now paying the price for not having a better vetting process.
I think a lot of us, myself included, really discounted the lack of headcoaching experience at ANY LEVEL and how important that is.

I mean, DC hasn't been a head coach at any level. He was an assistant at a high school. 4 collegiate stops, all assistants. I don't mean that sarcastically or in a demeaning way either. I just think that all of us, collectively, didn't fully appreciate what the weight of the first chair and the pressure of in-game decision-making.

Obviously, coaches can make the jump one seat over - but not everyone is cut out for the top seat. Not right, wrong, or indifferent either. It's the same way that Fatts is a gifted passer/defender, but a terrible shooter. Doesn't make you a bad player or coach, it just means you need to put yourself in a position to maximize your talents and minimize your weaknesses.

DC is an elite-level assistant, Hurley said that his biggest issue was being able to afford to retain someone like DC. Hurley would've taken him in the same role at UConn had we passed.

If Cox cannot make the adjustments necessary - to his philosophy, his rotations, his game management, or the way he approaches this job - we need to make a move fast. Certainly not longer than another season of this.

Please.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Cox was worth the shot. If we had gone outside the program for a hire, we would almost certainly be no better off right now and at least this way we took that shot at a continuation of the Hurley era - not just in terms of the roster which most people against hiring Cox made it seem like, but rather the continuation of the Hurley culture and basketball approach which had proven to work here.

There was always the risk that it wouldn’t work, and I can’t speak for everyone else that supported hiring Cox but I clearly understood the risk and thought it was worth it. I still do think that, btw - if you could send me back to April of 2018 with full knowledge of how everything turned out but I still had a 50/50 chance of it working out in my best case scenario then I think it’s a slam dunk to do it again. But you only really find out what a coach is going to be in a particular job once they already have it.

A lot of people they’d talked about hiring at that time just never felt like they had any shot at doing anything special - the guy that used to coach at Charlotte and ended up going back there or whatever. I said at the time that if they could hire Nate Oats then I could live with breaking from the Hurley era because I felt like Oats was a known commodity who could quickly establish his own winning culture. He was already past this job, though, and nobody else that was seriously connected to this job would have brought anything approaching the same type of upside.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This ^^

There was no DH prototype, slam dunk hire at the time and with the information at hand DC was the right hire at that time. Joe Dooley was the other lead candidate (current ECU coach and I don’t hear a ton about all their success the last 3 years). Now there may be in a year from now (cough cough Grasso) but it’s revisionist history to say DC was hastily hired or unqualified. He was going to get a HC gig somewhere soon, and there are no assurances a different unproven assistant would have been any better than DC.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Cox was worth the shot. If we had gone outside the program for a hire, we would almost certainly be no better off right now and at least this way we took that shot at a continuation of the Hurley era - not just in terms of the roster which most people against hiring Cox made it seem like, but rather the continuation of the Hurley culture and basketball approach which had proven to work here.

There was always the risk that it wouldn’t work, and I can’t speak for everyone else that supported hiring Cox but I clearly understood the risk and thought it was worth it. I still do think that, btw - if you could send me back to April of 2018 with full knowledge of how everything turned out but I still had a 50/50 chance of it working out in my best case scenario then I think it’s a slam dunk to do it again. But you only really find out what a coach is going to be in a particular job once they already have it.

A lot of people they’d talked about hiring at that time just never felt like they had any shot at doing anything special - the guy that used to coach at Charlotte and ended up going back there or whatever. I said at the time that if they could hire Nate Oats then I could live with breaking from the Hurley era because I felt like Oats was a known commodity who could quickly establish his own winning culture. He was already past this job, though, and nobody else that was seriously connected to this job would have brought anything approaching the same type of upside.
This is kind of my recollection as well, and I don't have the energy to find the thread from back then, ha. When Hurley left, I don't think there was a candidate out there that struck me as being a nearly consensus pick, like he was to replace Baron. A couple years after the fact now, we can cherry-pick and say, "They should have hired X," but at the time Cox was seen as a reasonable way to try to keep things going, without a full teardown.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s kind of like the argument over how you judge trades in sports... it’s always easy to say whether they were good or not a few years out, but its way more interesting to look at what was known at the time.

Who else was in the conversation when Hurley was hired? I know that one dude who pops up here every once in a while wanted Jim Christian.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Unlike Rutgers where a legitimate search took place, the vast majority of members on this forum made it clear that there was only one candidate for the job; and that he was bringing in the greatest recruiting class since the Fab 5. The small minority that wanted to see a more open process were criticized for their perceived lack of knowledge and loyalty. We are now paying the price for not having a better vetting process.
All things considered I still think we made the right choice at that time in hiring Cox, I won't second guess it.

Currently, I am not yet ready to give up on the Cox experiment by throwing in the towel and moving on. For me the jury is still out.

In my mind, I always considered this a lost season anyway with everything this pandemic has thrown at us, including empty arenas, and almost a complete roster turnover.

Next year, I expect to see a lot of progress in this team but there are some glaring holes, namely the backcourt. Hopefully the transfers show improvement, Ish will continue to grow into his role, and maybe Tres will bring something to the table.

DC and the rest of the coaches also need to step up their game by putting the players in a better position to win, which should happen as they get more experienced as a staff.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

In year 3 neither Cox nor most of his player (the few who did not escape) have not progressed and in some instances regressed. I hate posting this on many levels and I hate that we even are dicussing how bad it is, as I am concerned with outsiders and recruits reading it and thus it becoming self fulfilling as now he cant get good players and it compounds the situation.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I for one want to see improvements. He will certainly have next year to prove himself, but improvements need to be seen game in and game out starting Wednesday. For starters, I do not want to see him take a timeout when we are making a run. Also, in the first half if the team is playing well and has a lead and increasing it, DO NOT make substitutions until things start to turn. If I see these changes it will give me some hope. If they continue............
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox was the safe hire. An low cost hire with perceived upside.

At the time I was OK with it.

I think other coaches who otherwise would have been good candidates and who might have been interested, never applied because it was probably relayed to them that Cox was going to get the job, and the interview process was more or less a sham.

The list that did apply was weak, considering that URI was considered to be a desirable destination. At least that's what I think why that was.

URI tried to be like Xavier, who have had a lot of success promoting assistants to the HC job.

Oops.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Like Ace said, if Cox is willing and able to honestly assess himself, his staff and the players then not all is lost. Two coaches have missed the mark on Carey. It happens. But if Cox counts on him for next year, that's unforgivable. This is a guards game and Rhody needs better ones. Some players will be better next year. My guess is Bertrand will be one. But others have to be recruited over.
I am curious to see what Tres brings to the table next season. We are in desperate need of backcourt help going forward, I wouldn't of thought so going into this year. Need someone to rotate with Ish to handle the ball and a knockdown shooter. Hopefully with the last scholarship they can help fill one of those needs and maybe another if an additional roster spot opens up.
I am also curious on Tres. We think he will be a good shooter from the perimeter, but hopefully he is taking this year and developing other individual skills (particularly ball handling) so he can work with Ish to bring them ball up next year.
I hope you are correct about this, but as I watch him on the bench he doesn't seem very connected with the team. I may be reading too much into this but he doesn't get up, as others do and high five guys coming off the court. He also doesn't seem to be listening in the huddle when the coach is talking. To me he looks disinterested, and I hope that is not the case, as I was glad we got him to URI.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox was the safe hire. An low cost hire with perceived upside.

I think other coaches who otherwise would have been good candidates and who might have been interested, never applied because it was probably relayed to them that Cox was going to get the job, and the interview process was more or less a sham.

The list that did apply was weak, considering that URI was considered to be a desirable destination. At least that's what I think why that was.

URI tried to be like Xavier, who have had a lot of success promoting assistants to the HC job.

Oops.
Interesting take - after all this, none the other names that surfaced as finalists excited me. Cox is still the best choice of all of them. So that begs the question - was it made known that it was basically Cox' job to lose and therefore we didn't get nearly the quality of applicants we would have otherwise? Or if that wasn't the case, then it's worse - no one of quality wanted this job. Though that's hard to believe because if it's not a good job to get we wouldn't have gotten Hurly in 2012 and this job was much worse!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox was the safe hire. An low cost hire with perceived upside.

Oops.
Interesting take - after all this, none the other names that surfaced as finalists excited me. Cox is still the best choice of all of them. So that begs the question - was it made known that it was basically Cox' job to lose and therefore we didn't get nearly the quality of applicants we would have otherwise? Or if that wasn't the case, then it's worse - no one of quality wanted this job. Though that's hard to believe because if it's not a good job to get we wouldn't have gotten Hurly in 2012 and this job was much worse!
Very good point about the applicants. I know the Pitino was obviously favored and talked about in some circles, but obviously the administration didn't want him.

I do remember there was a clause built into DC's associate HC contract that said if he wasn't named the next head coach we owed him somewhere in the 6 figures range.

That may have been enough to make it fait accompli and prevent anyone from seriously going after the job.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Morey Hershgordon saying publicly what a lot have been saying on here:

https://www.wpri.com/sports/column-why- ... -approach/

Worth giving the credit for a click/supporting local coverage of the team. But just in case it gets deleted/redacted:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KINGSTON, R.I. (WPRI) – It’s time to start to question the moves, and lack thereof, that David Cox has made this season.

It was late Saturday night, the Rams were run off the floor by a rebuilding and severely undermanned UMass team. Their third straight loss. Cox chose to sit Antwan Walker longer than he played him in the first half despite being virtually unguardable (14pts, 6rebs).

Not because of injury – I asked. And he hadn’t committed a foul.

“Why he played nine minutes in the first half, I’m not sure,” Cox said to me.

“What does he normally play in the first half? Probably nine or ten minutes.”

Does an outstanding performance only deserve normal minutes?

I followed up.

Question: When he’s having a career night like the way he (was), is there sometimes an adjustment to a rotation, where when they’re lacking a big man like Tre Mitchell that (Walker) should be in there a little bit more with the success he had?

Response: “He ended up with a career-high tonight. If you believe that I should have played him before in the first half that’s the first time you’ve asked me a question like that. Maybe we can discuss that later. I played him nine minutes. I’m not sure how to answer that question. Played him nine minutes in the first half, finished with a career-high tonight. He had an awesome night.”

He sure did. But he could have had an even awesome-er night.

In the end, despite logging a pedestrian 24 minutes, Walker still posted career-highs in points (24) and rebounds (16).

Cox failed to acknowledge he limited the best player in the arena. And by doing so, he didn’t give his team the best chance to win.

It’s hard not to wonder what could have been if Walker wasn’t buried for seven straight minutes midway through the first half and the final 4:02, where URI’s one-point lead turned into a five-point hole at the break.

Cox seemed content with sitting him in lieu of other forwards (Jermaine Harris, DJ Johnson, Malik Martin) who combined for three points, eight rebounds, one assist to three turnovers and were -29 on the floor.

First thing that comes to mind when giving playing time to those that rarely produce?

Ego-managing.

Making sure players (and parents) remain happy in hopes of avoiding another mass exodus like what happened last year when five underclassmen transferred.

It’s understandably frustrating for Cox, who inherited a program fresh off back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament for just the second time ever since the program first fielded a Division I team in 1903-04.

That’s wasted time, effort and energy. The culture and success from the previous season flushed down the toilet.

Essentially, it’s starting over.

But is rewarding players who aren’t producing the answer? No. Especially when it’s not resulting in wins.

Outside of all-time great Fatts Russell and senior guard Jeremy Sheppard, who average 32 and 30 minutes respectively, the other nine scholarship players average between 14.3 minutes per game and 22.1 minutes per game.

In the last 30 years, dating back to the 1990-91 season, only three of the 39 regular season league champions (7%) — including division winners when the league was split into Eastern and Western divisions — have had 10 players average double digit minutes.

So, the chances this strategy results in championships – something Cox said was “the bar” back in his first press conference in early April 2018 – are super slim.

=====

On Dec. 29, URI was 3-5. Cox said to the media we should expect him to “shorten the rotation based on productivity.”

“I can tell you by the second half, by the home stretch, you will see it shortened based on productivity.”

Yet, here we are, six weeks later, with no true commitment to change. There have been slight tweaks. But the team remains two games below .500, in the bottom half of the league and ready to sit out the NCAA Tournament for the third straight year since he took over.

Jalen Carey played only five minutes in Wednesday’s loss to VCU because rookie Ish Leggett was the star. Carey sat the entire second half. Then, Saturday, Carey struggled in six minutes in the first half. He sat the next 20:06 of game time. With 6:25 left and Rhody down by eight, Cox called his number.

At that point, this was Carey’s line: zero points, two rebounds, zero assists, two turnovers, one steal. For the season, the guard has 12 assists to 41 turnovers.

Why did Cox think to even look his way let alone put him in the game to crack that “shortened rotation based on productivity?”

33 seconds later, Carey drove the lane seemingly without a plan — for the 1000th time this year – and was whistled for an offensive foul. Turnover. And somehow he still earned two more minutes of action, in crunch time, after that.

It’s almost identical to another move Cox made. He put Allen Betrand in with 5:52 left. Betrand was 0-for-4 from the floor to that point with one rebound. Nearly invisible. At the 4:41 mark, Betrand missed another three-ball. Next possession? A missed layup.

For the season, he’s shooting 33% from the floor and 28% from deep. In his last six games, he’s 6-for-32 (19%). Though in that time, he’s still playing more than half the game.

For both Carey and Betrand, this isn’t one or two off nights, or a poor stretch. It’s an entire season’s worth of reasons to play others ahead of — and instead of — them.

But why do they continue to get time?

Because it’s what they normally get.

=====

In May, I spoke one-on-one with Betrand the day after he committed to URI over Minnesota, Butler, DePaul, Dayton and Richmond.

When I asked about the reason he chose URI, Betrand said “building around me. They want me to be a focal point of their offense.”

Carey, a Syracuse transfer and former consensus top-80 recruit out of high school, chose URI over Marquette, Creighton, Connecticut, Georgetown, Alabama and BYU this past spring.

20 games in, Carey’s had many chances to learn the system and play through mistakes. It’s clear he’s still not comfortable or ready or consistent enough to play at this level.

Junior Jermaine Harris also hasn’t shown growth. The former top-100 recruit has been a bust. He’s never led URI in scoring and only twice in rebounding. In 79 career games, he’s at 4.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.

With emerging frontcourt pieces in Makhel Mitchell and the aforementioned Walker, there’s not much time to fit Harris in. And even less opportunity when Makhel’s brother, Makhi, returns from injury.

=====

Like many of his teammates, Antwan Walker has thrived when given more playing time.

The redshirt junior is shooting 62% from the floor in the 15 games he averages the same or more minutes than his season average. And according to KenPom, he’s the most efficient offensive player on the Rams despite a low usage.

To boot, he leads the conference in field goal percentage.

The same can be said for Makhel who has turned out to be quite a bright spot for the Rams this season. He and Makhi will form a nice 1-2 punch up front for years to come.

The rookie Leggett set career highs in points in the first two starts he got.

Throw in the silky-smooth shooting Sheppard, and Russell, then mix in a team-first guy like Malik Martin. Sprinkle in sharpshooter DJ Johnson. That’s a solid rotation.

And in the case of injuries or foul trouble, there’s still depth pieces with Betrand, Harris and Carey. But depth pieces shouldn’t get time just because they show up and work hard. That should be the standard. Playing time should be earned through game production.

In a season like this, with so many uncertainties, sure, maybe you could make a case to play this style of ‘everyone gets a chance no matter what’ through five, or 10, or even 12 games.

But not 20. It’s too long. 11 players at 14-plus minutes per game? Unsustainable.

Feels more like CYO basketball than Division I hoops.

=====

URI has played 20 games. It’s avoided a COVID pause and team workouts on campus began July 20.

That’s unheard of this in college basketball this year.

There’s been ample time to mold the roster.

However, Cox and his staff haven’t taken advantage of it. They still don’t have a definitive rotation or established identity. Because of that, they’ve also struggled in late game situations (0-5 in games decided by 5 points or less).

History indicates Cox is capable of capping a rotation. He went eight-deep in 2018-19 and nine-deep in 2019-20. Those teams went 18-15 (9-9) and 21-9 (13-5).

At 9-11 (6-7), and with trips to Saint Louis and Davidson this week, URI is on track to have its worst finish in league play since assistant coach T.J. Buchanan’s junior season.

At halftime of Wednesday’s game vs. VCU, Cox paused as his team jogged to the locker room. He crossed his arms, ducked his head and shook it in disbelief. Then, as soon as the buzzer sounded on Saturday, the ESPN2 cameras caught Rhody’s captain, Fatts Russell, visibly frustrated.

Two telling signs.

The head coach has decisions to make, and questions to answer.

It’s enough of being Mr. Nice Guy.

That normally doesn’t get you anywhere in college sports.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......thanks Morey, great article describing the state of URI hoops.......no yeah buts from me......and for me the most damming point made is the CYO reference........ouch
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, that about sums it up.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This Kid gets it, love the stoking of the coals. Burn baby burn, wake his ass up.
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

That article is fantastic. Completely sums up this disgusting mess of a season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am sure this article won't endear Morey to DC.

Many of us do feel that "Cox needs to change his approach" in order be successful. Hopefully he will embrace some criticism and continue to grow into his role as head coach. Wins and losses is a good measure of accountability.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Perfecto Morey.
Makes you also wonder what the input has been from his assistants?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ace wrote: 3 years ago It’s kind of like the argument over how you judge trades in sports... it’s always easy to say whether they were good or not a few years out, but its way more interesting to look at what was known at the time.

Who else was in the conversation when Hurley was hired? I know that one dude who pops up here every once in a while wanted Jim Christian.
No one wanted Christian. First of all, he wasn't taking a step down in conference and pay three years ago. I happen to like the guy and think he can coach. He has had a full, healthy roster at BC for about zero total minutes. Snakebit is an understatement. The guy has won at two mid major schools with different players/teams. He wouldn't be my first choice after BC fires him this year but it wouldn't be a bad idea to put him in the four or five interviews. If you are an offense nerd like I am, he runs some really great stuff. And I think he would do well with some of these pieces.

As for the "oh well we wouldn't have been better off" vibe from the last few posts here, that's just about the most insane thing I have read here and that includes the "why are we not fouling up two" post. Yes, URI could have been worse. The fact that it's not nuclear bomb material is not nothing. One the other hand, to discount how many people would have wanted the job and could have built something from where DH left off is something else. No one here wanted Cox because he was some Xs and Os wizard. It was simply recruiting and roster continuity. And it's the worst reason to do make a hire in 2018. Maybe 1979. Maybe. Things are just too fluid these days.
Last edited by Gonebarongone 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

To be fair no one really knew if Cox was an "x and o wizard". WE KNOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I am sure this article won't endear Morey to DC.
And if that's the case you fire Cox on the spot. That's the end of Baron stuff that was going on -worrying about the message in the media about Baron not being good instead of focusing on trying to be a better basketball team.

Morey is doing his job and asking tough questions in the midst of a tough season. Not sure what DC would expect Morey to be writing after how this team is playing.

Morey is asking for accountability from the coach who publicly touted accountability to make changes that he hasn't made.

In the post-game interview, DC saying "we can talk about that later" to Morey like he was some nobody fan rubbed me the wrong way. To me that's saying "don't ask me tough questions if you want any scoops." Sorry but you're paid 3/4 of a milly to win basketball games and deal with criticism if you don't.

I will happily coach this team to many losses and let fans poop on my front yard next to my dog every day for a head coaches salary with a guaranteed minimum of $700k.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
And if that's the case you fire Cox on the spot. That's the end of Baron stuff that was going on -worrying about the message in the media about Baron not being good instead of focusing on trying to be a better basketball team.

Morey is doing his job and asking tough questions in the midst of a tough season. Not sure what DC would expect Morey to be writing after how this team is playing.

Morey is asking for accountability from the coach who publicly touted accountability to make changes that he hasn't made.

In the post-game interview, DC saying "we can talk about that later" to Morey like he was some nobody fan rubbed me the wrong way. To me that's saying "don't ask me tough questions if you want any scoops." Sorry but you're paid 3/4 of a milly to win basketball games and deal with criticism if you don't.

I will happily coach this team to many losses and let fans poop on my front yard next to my dog every day for a head coaches salary with a guaranteed minimum of $700k.
I enjoy it when reporters ask the tough questions or challenge him, that's their job.
I get nothing when these dialogues/interviews are scripted or the questioning very vanilla.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That article was spot on by Morey and implicitly puts to words many head scratching decisions talked about here.

GBG, the above is all hyperbole short of examples? I am not steeped in the coaching search process so I will go off the names that were identified and presented at the time. None of them were a Dan Hurley home run hire (a hire which at the time you didn’t support). Name some names? And if it’s all a bunch of P5 assistants who have zero HC experience they leave the same unanswered questions DC would have had. And as they say about hindsight it’s 20/20.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago It’s kind of like the argument over how you judge trades in sports... it’s always easy to say whether they were good or not a few years out, but its way more interesting to look at what was known at the time.

No one wanted Christian. First of all, he wasn't taking a step down in conference and pay three years ago. I happen to like the guy and think he can coach. He has had a full, healthy roster at BC for about zero total minutes. Snakebit is an understatement. The guy has won at two mid major schools with different players/teams. He wouldn't be my first choice after BC fires him this year but it wouldn't be a bad idea to put him in the four or five interviews. If you are an offense nerd like I am, he runs some really great stuff. And I think he would do well with some of these pieces.

As for the "oh well we wouldn't have been better off" vibe from the last few posts here, that's just about the most insane thing I have read here and that includes the "why are we not fouling up two" post. Yes, URI could have been worse. The fact that it's not nuclear bomb material is not nothing. One the other hand, to discount how many people would have wanted the job and could have built something from where DH left off is something else. No one here wanted Cox because he was some Xs and Os wizard. It was simply recruiting and roster continuity. And it's the worst reason to do make a hire in 2018. Maybe 1979. Maybe. Things are just too fluid these days.
You got so worked up you answered a question no one asked.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

"Why he [Walker] played 9 minutes in the first half, I'm not sure."

Cox actually said that? That's looney tunes stuff.

Lost in Space.

Again, we would have had several high quality applicants for the job, but they were told that Cox was getting it, so why apply?

That's what I was told by someone a lot closer to the program than I am.

URI only interviewed a couple of others because it was a state requirement that they conduct a "search".
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nice article...all I can say is...but, but....jellin'?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Morey for President! Way to go kid!
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Nice article...all I can say is...but, but....jellin'?
ETA...welp, maybe that isn't all

What if...we had hired Pitino instead? I know, I know...moral protests galore, folks boycotting games, etc. But, what if it had happened? This would have been the perfect year for that. No fans to boycott...probably a serious winning record, with talent, and likely attracting talent... I'm guessing some of those that would have boycotted would be back on the bandwagon already. Missed opp.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Nice article...all I can say is...but, but....jellin'?

What if...we had hired Pitino instead? I know, I know...moral protests galore, folks boycotting games, etc. But, what if it had happened? This would have been the perfect year for that. No fans to boycott...probably a serious winning record, with talent, and likely attracting talent... I'm guessing some of those that would have boycotted would be back on the bandwagon already. Missed opp.
Tom Ryan may get his wish soon enough the way this is going.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And we’d have hookers living in the Kingston Inn and be on probation in two years.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

And we’d have hookers living in the Kingston Inn and be on probation in two years.
Doesn't every other P5 team? I thought that is why players wanted to go there?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Many of us do feel that "Cox needs to change his approach" in order be successful. Hopefully he will embrace some criticism and continue to grow into his role as head coach. Wins and losses is a good measure of accountability.

Continue to grow” ?????
theblueram
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 3 years ago

Continue to grow” ?????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

To Administration. Make the decision sooner than later- give Cox a chance to land on his feet, someone will take him as a prime assistant with recruiting skills and the market will know about our opening before decisions r made!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On Betrand, "In his last six games, he’s 6-for-32 (19%). Though in that time, he’s still playing more than half the game." The fact he is starting is mind boggling. The fact he is playing is a head scratcher.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Continue to grow” ?????
As I said in an earlier post, we can only hope that Cox and the assistants will step up their game. One would think that as this staff gains more experience we should see improvement.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Continue to grow” ?????
As I said in an earlier post, we can only hope that Cox and the assistants will step up their game. One would think that as this staff gains more experience we should see improvement.
To what? Above .500? Cox has next year I would think to prove himself. Otherwise, the experiment is done. I would hope.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Continue to grow” ?????
To what? Above .500? Cox has next year I would think to prove himself. Otherwise, the experiment is done. I would hope.
I don't think the administration's timetable is the same as yours
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I doubt that, but I don't doubt we'd probably be closer to 17-3 than 9-11...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So now you are part of the Administration? I bet Tom Ryan is getting pretty antsy right now. What does he say? Since you know the admin timetable.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or we would be on a Covid pause for 49 days like Iona, they can't seem to keep it away from their program.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Or we would be on a Covid pause for 49 days like Iona, they can't seem to keep it away from their program.
It's NY, what did you expect. Run by idiots.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So now you are part of the Administration? I bet Tom Ryan is getting pretty antsy right now. What does he say? Since you know the admin timetable.
I said that is my thinking, but not unusual timeframes for coaching hires especially for first year head coaches, Jerry D being an exception.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I said that is my thinking, but not unusual timeframes for coaching hires especially for first year head coaches, Jerry D being an exception.
Tom Ryan wanted Pitino but was shot down by the admin. Tom Ryan is heading up the selection of the next President for URI. Do the math.