1/13 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/13 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN/ESPN+)

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Heck of a comeback.. just gotta finish there at the end.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Fuck it. At this point give me Pitino...
Pitino or Hurley would not be in this position with this roster. Period.
Sadly only one of them is currently in a position where URI is an upgrade.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We can't extend Cox and add money to his buyout. Either get rid of him after this year, deal with whatever hit recruiting might take by him being on a short deal, or come up with some creative extension that somehow doesn't increase what it would take to buy him out. David Cox should be firmly on the hot seat at this point. This team is getting worse as the year goes on, that's the biggest warning sign of having a bad coach
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Me and you wouldn’t either.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Sheppard 5 TOs. Bertrand 4. Fatts 3. Carey 3 in 13 minutes. Walker 3 in 12 minutes. 18 of the 20 TOs. Still went to OT. 52% from the line (-9). Almost won. I need a Gansett.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Lol I think we can all agree Hurley > Cox

There’s a reason why one left and the other is here
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Fatts went 3-13 from the floor today but obviously no one is gonna talk about it because he's automatically exempt from any criticism lol
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

These guys aren't focused. From free throws, doubling down, and senseless turnovers....... looks like street ball to me.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’d sell my soul to Pitino at this point.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts went 3-13 from the floor today but obviously no one is gonna talk about it because he's automatically exempt from any criticism lol
What? People complain about Fatts all the time...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts went 3-13 from the floor today but obviously no one is gonna talk about it because he's automatically exempt from any criticism lol
He’s been criticized more than any other player this season.

He also led the team in rebounds (at 5’8) and steals, convenient you left that out.
Go Rhody
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago 11-21 from the line. Unacceptable
Damned if you do damned if you don't. In a perfect world Mitchell would not be on the floor at the end of a close came. Fouling him turns into a turnover almost every time especially when he missed multiple front ends of a 1and 1.. but he was our best player tonight. He needs to figure it out or it's going to be a problem all year
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea Fatts was as bad as ever today.
GO RAMS
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago Well, at least my Mom isn't banging My Cousin Vinny.
That’s not even relevant to literally anything.

Um, Tre Mitchell's Mom banging Bergeron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
'No Mercy.'
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Harris and Leggett played less than 10 minutes each. Harris didn’t play well. I don’t understand Leggett. Walker, Carey, and Martin played 14 or less. DJ played 25, 11 points, 6 boards.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea Fatts was as bad as ever today.
This team cannot be good with him going 3-13
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

It would be similar at least. Just a bunch of guys that don’t belong in the HC chair throwing shit at a wall.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Complain?? All this board does is complain. Haha. If we were 13-0 we’d still hear complaining.

We’re not playing bad basketball. But we NEED to find a way to take care of the ball. Wayyy too many turnovers. Not sure what the answer is but there are too many giveaways.
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Quite simply uninspired defense for 30 minutes and 20 turnovers lose that game. Makhel played great and we did exactly what we needed to with Tre. A bunch of unheralded FR beat us. Gross.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Complain?? All this board does is complain. Haha. If we were 13-0 we’d still hear complaining.

We’re not playing bad basketball. But we NEED to find a way to take care of the ball. Wayyy too many turnovers. Not sure what the answer is but there are too many giveaways.
Well there's a reason teams have coaches. How hasn't Cox figured the turnovers out yet?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Mitchell was actually drawing the fouls after he got the defensive rebound. If he played the rebounds stronger he never would of been at the line. Cox you’re going to tell him that right.

GO RHODY!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Street ball is right. No consistency or discipline, which is supposed to come from the bench. Like I said before, I feel like I'm watching a pickup game at Boone St. during summer break.

Free throws, God! C'mon!

Turnovers, just ugly ugly sh!t.

SO FRUSTRATING! These guys have had plenty of games to "gel" at this point, no excuses anymore. Sorry, not sorry.

It would be different if we had no athletes, like an Ivy team or something.

I wasn't posting during the game, why did Leggett not play much?
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago Well, at least my Mom isn't banging My Cousin Vinny.

Correct, but that had absolutely zero bearing on the game and really isn’t relevant to what just happened.

Pretty stupid comment, that’s all.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Tonight? Or ever?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Today the problem seemed like over passing at times which I don’t fault. But still half dozen or more completely unforced lacksadaisacal TOs by our back court. Coach needs to be black and white with it at this point, you turn it over you sit plain and simple.

When is playing 13 hard games with no Covid stoppages going to beat fruit. Nothing but inconsistency as a team and as individuals from game to game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It would be similar at least. Just a bunch of guys that don’t belong in the HC chair throwing shit at a wall.

Well at least our rotation would be cut down by 1. :D
Go Rhody
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As I said earlier about what Walker is capable of doing. Losing this game is absolutely PITIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! There is so much wrong with this team starting from the top (Cox) on down. It seems they play passively. We need a leader on the staff or one the team and we don't have one.

I hate to say it but this year's team was going as far as Fatts could take it and he has not played well at all. His misses from 3 have for the most part have not even been close.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Complain?? All this board does is complain. Haha. If we were 13-0 we’d still hear complaining.

We are most definitely playing bad basketball. Wut?

The answer to turnovers is to not have an “anyone can handle the ball” offense like Dave Cox does when you don’t have competent ball handlers.

He “got away with it” the first 2 years because his 2 guard was a ball handler too. Problem was Dowtin was 10x the floor general Fatts was so those teams never reached their potential.

We have 1 ball handler/creator on this team: Fatts.

We have shooters around him. We have bigs that can score in the post.

Go back to a single PG running the offense and minimize the ball handling errors by shooters and scorers who can’t handle in traffic or the open floor.

But I’ve been told I don’t watch enough basketball so maybe idk what I’m talking about.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I guess it was very appropriate to lose because they turned over their last possession with a chance to win. They are a turnover machine . It has been the mark of this team to continue to be careless with the ball and miss free throws . The shooting has improved , but all else remains the same . Apparently we have a group of players who are poor passers and poor decision makers . I am not sure that is going to change until the roster does . Makhel Mitchell had a great game going which he ruined by going three for nine from the free throw line. Even Fatts was only 5-8 from the line . I will give him some slack because he was probably exhausted . Win one lose one . That is probably going to be the story of this season , so a record around .500 looks to be
the likely outcome. A shame to give this one away after such a great comeback effort during the final 8 minutes of regulation. both teams looked spent at the end.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My 74 YO dad just texted me from CT and used the term "playground attitude" (unsolicited) to describe what he saw tonight with URI.
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago My 74 YO dad just texted me from CT and used the term "playground attitude" (unsolicited) to describe what he saw tonight with URI.
Pops dropping some wisdom right there.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

And for fu*ks sake Walker, dunk that sh!t to tie it!!!!
Mobley was fouled.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The UMASS defense was average at best but somehow we managed to have 20 turnovers. That stat is all you need to know about this team....
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Today the problem seemed like over passing at times which I don’t fault. But still half dozen or more completely unforced lacksadaisacal TOs by our back court. Coach needs to be black and white with it at this point, you turn it over you sit plain and simple.

When is playing 13 hard games with no Covid stoppages going to beat fruit. Nothing but inconsistency as a team and as individuals from game to game.
Turnover Count
Betrand - 4
Fatts - 3
Sheppard - 5
Carey - 3

Going to be seeing a lot of Umberto off the bench if we don’t play any guard that turns it over (hint they all suck right now at handling the ball)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago And for fu*ks sake Walker, dunk that sh!t to tie it!!!!
From where he took off, he wasn’t able to dunk that.

Still should’ve easily laid it up.
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Sweep The Leg wrote: 3 years ago

Correct, but that had absolutely zero bearing on the game and really isn’t relevant to what just happened.

Pretty stupid comment, that’s all.
It's a joke. Wow. You must be fun at parties.
'No Mercy.'
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Today the problem seemed like over passing at times which I don’t fault. But still half dozen or more completely unforced lacksadaisacal TOs by our back court. Coach needs to be black and white with it at this point, you turn it over you sit plain and simple.

Turnover Count
Betrand - 4
Fatts - 3
Sheppard - 5
Carey - 3

Going to be seeing a lot of Umberto off the bench if we don’t play any guard that turns it over (hint they all suck right now at handling the ball)
Seriously, what does Carey do well? Defend? Rebound? Definitely not dribble, or shoot.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He also led the team in rebounds (at 5’8) and steals, convenient you left that out.
Lol you WOULD defend someone shooting 23% from the floor. You're pathetic Rhody15
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Your Dad is right on. UMass is not good, no way in Hell URI should have lost to them.
Get Leggett out on that floor please.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago We might win this game, but this trend of never being prepared for a game is unfortunately telling.

Why Harris is all of a sudden a focal point of the offense is beyond me. He hasn’t developed a bit since freshman year.

We’re a really talented JV high school team from a fundamental team basketball perspective.
You left out "poorly coached" JV team
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Walker and Carey played at a 9 TO/game pace tonight and sat on the bench more than 30 minutes each. At least that’s something.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

We are most definitely playing bad basketball. Wut?

The answer to turnovers is to not have an “anyone can handle the ball” offense like Dave Cox does when you don’t have competent ball handlers.

He “got away with it” the first 2 years because his 2 guard was a ball handler too. Problem was Dowtin was 10x the floor general Fatts was so those teams never reached their potential.

We have 1 ball handler/creator on this team: Fatts.

We have shooters around him. We have bigs that can score in the post.

Go back to a single PG running the offense and minimize the ball handling errors by shooters and scorers who can’t handle in traffic or the open floor.

But I’ve been told I don’t watch enough basketball so maybe idk what I’m talking about.
Everyone on this board is always whining about Fatts forcing the issue and calling to get the ball out of Fatts hands? Now you want him to be the sole ball handler?

Granted, I don’t think Sheppard should have had the ball in his hands at the end of OT, but he’s a good point guard. Forces things at times, but I would definitely consider him a playmaker. I would have gone to Betrand or Fatts at the end there. However, we had an open look to tie the game. Can’t blame that on Cox. We just need to convert.

That and learn to make free throws.

Keep in mind our two best scores were 6-21 and we had a chance to send it in 2x overtime. If we can get the two of them to play consistently, I think this could be a tough team to beat. Consistency is key.
- Mr. Rogers
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I dont know how anyone can watch this team make the same mistakes over and over and over again game after game and say we're not playing bad basketball. I'm glad your not our coach. Is there literally any facet of the game that team does even remotely well?
Last edited by Shinze88 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Tonight? Or ever?
Ha ha.. She may have secrets. I'll have to lawyer it out of her.
'No Mercy.'
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

Turnover Count
Betrand - 4
Fatts - 3
Sheppard - 5
Carey - 3

Seriously, what does Carey do well? Defend? Rebound? Definitely not dribble, or shoot.
He’s pretty solid at creating his own look and attacking the basket

That being said the value of a guard who can’t shoot the 3 (like literally at all) or handle the ball even half decent is pretty low. He’s so one dimensional
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Walker and Carey played at a 9 TO/game pace tonight and sat on the bench more than 30 minutes each. At least that’s something.
Brutal.
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We all knew it was going to be this type of an up and down season. Very disappointed on this loss, but can't say I am totally surprised, figured it would come down to the wire with these guys.
Blue Man and others, I said pump the brakes early on with this team and slow down on the Kool-Aid, my expectations this season were tempered
I was hoping for the best this year like everyone else, but there were so many uncertainties.
Again, we were picked to finish 6th by the A10 coaches this year.
I still say hopefully we will have some good wins along with the bad losses.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Walker and Carey played at a 9 TO/game pace tonight and sat on the bench more than 30 minutes each. At least that’s something.
Spot on. Cox is (albeit slowly) punishing his worst offenders.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

I’m just lost on why Leggett can’t get on the floor 15-20 minutes a game. And I’m not saying he’s a star in waiting or anything special. But, the kid is an obvious winner and a dog out there!! It’s inexcusable that other guys get in the game over that kid. Even when he’s not shooting well, he plays so damn hard, that he still ends up making things happen. His activity defensively and his offensive aggression, may have been a huge help tonight. It’s just so obvious he belongs out there. It’s frustrating to watch it NOT happen.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago

Lol you WOULD defend someone shooting 23% from the floor. You're pathetic Rhody15

People have defended Jermaine Harris when he goes 0- from the floor and gets lit up on D because he “tries hard.”

Fatts played terribly offensively tonight, but led the team in rebounds, steals, and made the right play to tie the game.

Imagine if he took the 3 and missed instead of passing to Walker?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody