1/22 | Duquesne | 7:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 1/22 | Duquesne | 7:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I admit I was ready to leave at halftime. Expecting the worst my wife and discussed how big a deficit would cause us to leave.

Boy were we wrong. The difference was Cyril. His interior defense allowed the guards to shut down their shooters, turn them over and get the running game going. Without him we lose this game.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

We did not start to make our run until Harris picked up his fourth foul and went to the Bench. He did not contribute to the comeback whatsoever.

Anyone still continuing saying he’s good at this, good at that, is just wrong.

Walker deserves more minutes than Harris every single game.
The Harris-slamming is just stupid already. If that guy were suddenly not on the team, the kvetching and misery here would make the Tate departure seem like a non-event. Good grief...
Correct, because at least he’s a warm body ready to play.

Without him we’d only have 7 guys.
Without Harris, we would not have 7 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals. In 17 minutes. Just please stop. He's a sophomore big.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I agree Walker has passed Harris. It’s clear that although Harris is locked in as starter, we will see more of Walker down the stretch in games, as we did tonight.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I was at the game with my five year and my neighbor said the ambulance was at my house. Apparently the three year old swallowed a marble. I had to leave to meet my wife and daughter in Fall River. My daughter ended up being fine, but I might be banned from further games as they were down 8 at half and won by 22. I have no idea how they made that big a turn around, but have to assume it was their best half of the season? Big win
Holy shit, man. So scary. Glad it sounds like everything is all right.
Thanks! Everything turned out good and she liked the hospital she didn’t want to leave. Ended up being a great night with my daughter okay and huge win! I’m still in shock of second half turnaround. I forgot to tape it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

STC wrote: 4 years ago I agree Walker has passed Harris. It’s clear that although Harris is locked in as starter, we will see more of Walker down the stretch in games, as we did tonight.
Walker must have had a great second half. I only saw the first half and thought he played soft and looked terrible. Glad he turned it around
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

The Harris-slamming is just stupid already. If that guy were suddenly not on the team, the kvetching and misery here would make the Tate departure seem like a non-event. Good grief...

Without Harris, we would not have 7 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals. In 17 minutes. Just please stop. He's a sophomore big.
I thought Harris had a very good 6 minutes to start the game. It looked like he got in foul trouble for the second half from what I could see by the box score, but didn’t see it so not sure
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

just back from the game. awesome second half. this may be heresy, but cyril just may be better defensively than Has. he won't have the blocked shots, but he can't be moved in the post. some big put backs by martin. fatts was fatts. hope the buzzer beater 3s get jeff going. Blue Man argues EVERY call that goes against uri. Glad we have him on our side. :)

wasn't aware students got turned away. that is atrocious! if i'm a coach, i have it written into my contract that more students are allowed in as it gets closer to game time. not sure about the best way to do it, but if a student wants in and there is an empty seat that student has to be let in. it benefits the students. it benefits the team.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Just such a fun second half to watch. Cyril was just a beast when he came back in the second half. I remember when Dan Hurley called him a Man child during the Cincinnati game at Mohegan. He’s just a Man now. The freakin Man. And I loved the contributions from Walker and Long. Both had one or two stump headed plays, but positives far outweighed those. Walker is a great passer and has tremendous court vision for a big - and he can finish inside. And Long has skills across the board and I can’t wait to see him flourish over the next few years.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

In order to keep buzz going with this program, we shouldnt be turning anyone away if there are empty seats. Especially if there is standing room by the jumbotron, etc...
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Also, when did rambone and blue man have a child named rhodyfan3000? I must have missed that announcement but he's becoming an in game meshing of those 2 posting personas.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

cRAM4finals wrote: 4 years ago Just such a fun second half to watch. Cyril was just a beast when he came back in the second half. I remember when Dan Hurley called him a Man child during the Cincinnati game at Mohegan. He’s just a Man now. The freakin Man. And I loved the contributions from Walker and Long. Both had one or two stump headed plays, but positives far outweighed those. Walker is a great passer and has tremendous court vision for a big - and he can finish inside. And Long has skills across the board and I can’t wait to see him flourish over the next few years.

Walker is a better passer when he’s guarded and not alone, threw it behind Fatts when nobody was around and almost threw two more away when he was alone! :lol:
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Martin isn't going to change. He is what he is.
He has been pretty clutch in my book.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Btw is Jacob ok? I love this kid but he hasn’t looked himself the past two games. I know he tweaked his knee a few games ago and it looks like that it’s a nagging injury. He has spurts, like the run down almost perfect block, but seems to be a little more cautious lately.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cyril is an assist machine, picked up 5 more tonight.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

cRAM4finals wrote: 4 years ago Just such a fun second half to watch. Cyril was just a beast when he came back in the second half. I remember when Dan Hurley called him a Man child during the Cincinnati game at Mohegan. He’s just a Man now. The freakin Man. And I loved the contributions from Walker and Long. Both had one or two stump headed plays, but positives far outweighed those. Walker is a great passer and has tremendous court vision for a big - and he can finish inside. And Long has skills across the board and I can’t wait to see him flourish over the next few years.

Walker is a better passer when he’s guarded and not alone, there it behind Fatts when nobody was around and almost threw two more away when he was alone! :lol:
Ya. Completely agree with that. Those were the stump headed plays. One other he was three feet away from Fatts and threw it at his feet. No turnover there thank god.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Those weren’t his stats at all.

4 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 turnover, 15 minutes.

Good try though!
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

cRAM4finals wrote: 4 years ago Btw is Jacob ok? I love this kid but he hasn’t looked himself the past two games. I know he tweaked his knee a few games ago and it looks like that it’s a nagging injury. He has spurts, like the run down almost perfect block, but seems to be a little more cautious lately.
Hope he's OK... He was limping around for sure.

Had a perfect view of his beautiful three point bucket from directly behind tonight, perfect arch.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Need Ossunyi to still be out when we play Bonnies Saturday.

Would be huge!
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago just back from the game. awesome second half. this may be heresy, but cyril just may be better defensively than Has. he won't have the blocked shots, but he can't be moved in the post. some big put backs by martin. fatts was fatts. hope the buzzer beater 3s get jeff going. Blue Man argues EVERY call that goes against uri. Glad we have him on our side. :)

wasn't aware students got turned away. that is atrocious! if i'm a coach, i have it written into my contract that more students are allowed in as it gets closer to game time. not sure about the best way to do it, but if a student wants in and there is an empty seat that student has to be let in. it benefits the students. it benefits the team.
Like I said, we fit over 8000 in the RC for the PC game. We had 6000 tonight. I don't have a calculator handy, but I believe we could have fit 2000 more students in the RC tonight..... That is horrible. Hopefully the ones that got turned away will come back.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Agreed - please stop with bashing Harris. He does a lot of little things that don’t show up in the box score, and some day soon when those threes start going down everyone will love the kid. His shot is too smooth to not start hitting them.
He has made a few nice plays recently facing the basket. That shot starts falling this team will have a whole new dimension.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m losing patience with the nitpicking of individuals on this team. All 8 of the rotation have their faults but they all contribute play with energy and desire. Frankly Harris’ fourth foul and the tiff he had with Duquesne’s big guy seemed to light a spark on the team in the second half. I don’t know if we have what it takes to make it to the NCAAs. But I do know that these guys want it as bad (and probably more so) than any of us.
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago just back from the game. awesome second half. this may be heresy, but cyril just may be better defensively than Has. he won't have the blocked shots, but he can't be moved in the post. some big put backs by martin. fatts was fatts. hope the buzzer beater 3s get jeff going. Blue Man argues EVERY call that goes against uri. Glad we have him on our side. :)

Like I said, we fit over 8000 in the RC for the PC game. We had 6000 tonight. I don't have a calculator handy, but I believe we could have fit 2000 more students in the RC tonight..... That is horrible. Hopefully the ones that got turned away will come back.
Who can I contact about this? I genuinely feel bad that all these students were turned away from a really exciting game. It's the fault of URI fans that don't want to fill up the seats outside of the Student section. Not the students for not coming. They pretty much filled up the sections.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Need Ossunyi to still be out when we play Bonnies Saturday.

Would be huge!
Listened to the post game on the way home tonight. Chris Disano said his inside information indicates that Ossunyi will likely be doubtful for Saturday. I don't believe Osun even traveled with the SBU team out to Dayton. Would guess we will not know for sure until closer to tip off. Could even be a game time decision.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

no reason for it 78. it's like throwing all the leftover bagels away instead of giving them to a hungry student. don't get it at all. heck...even if you have to charge them $3. maybe they buy some popcorn and a coke too. and if you are letting them fill empty seats around the arena that makes the whole RC a little more ruckus...not just the student section. think of how much more difficult that makes it for visiting teams coming to the RC.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

Who can I contact about this? I genuinely feel bad that all these students were turned away from a really exciting game. It's the fault of URI fans that don't want to fill up the seats outside of the Student section. Not the students for not coming. They pretty much filled up the sections.
If I was a student, on the first day of classes, and got turned away at the first home game of second semester, I wouldn’t go to any more games the rest of the year.
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Not trying to point a finger at Thorr but he did tweet out earlier that "we need 2,000+ students" but how the hell is that supposed to happen if people aren't let in after 1,500?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Agreed - please stop with bashing Harris. He does a lot of little things that don’t show up in the box score, and some day soon when those threes start going down everyone will love the kid. His shot is too smooth to not start hitting them.
He has made a few nice plays recently facing the basket. That shot starts falling this team will have a whole new dimension.
It’s been 1.5 years, what evidence has been presented to think he’s going to magically start hitting 3s?

Yes, obviously he WILL hit another 3, a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while (once in a while = 10.3%, Harris’ career 3 point percentage).
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

It’s been 1.5 years, what evidence has been presented to think he’s going to magically steer hitting 3s?

Yes, obviously he WILL hit another 3, a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
and you might make another post worth reading someday...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Walker is a better passer when he’s guarded and not alone, threw it behind Fatts when nobody was around and almost threw two more away when he was alone! :lol:
Do you like any of our players? Yes they make mistakes. They also read these boards.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Do you like any of our players? Yes they make mistakes. They also read these boards.

That was a joke, I just made two posts complimenting how well Walker played tonight.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s been 1.5 years, what evidence has been presented to think he’s going to magically start hitting 3s?

Yes, obviously he WILL hit another 3, a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while (once in a while = 10.3%, Harris’ career 3 point percentage).
It's almost like players can improve, over the course of a 4 year career. Imagine that. He's shooting them bc he makes them in practice and has proven to his coaches, aka experts not armchair QBs, that he can.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It's almost like players can improve, over the course of a 4 year career. Imagine that. He's shooting them bc he makes them in practice and has proven to his coaches, aka experts not armchair QBs, that he can.

Evvvvvveryone wanted Fatts to stop shooting 3s last year when he was shooting so bad, yet we want our 6’9, 10.3% forward to continue shooting 3s.

Got it, makes total sense.

Do we not remember 6000 people literally groaned when Harris shot a 3 a couple games back?
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You're fucking blind if you thought Jermaine played poorly tonight.

The only reason he didnt play more is because he had 4 fouls, otherwise in this game and routinely, he makes his prescense felt. The two baskets he scored were great and I'm okay with him shooting one three a game.

What I saw out there tonight was the fact we have three very good post players right now.

We NEED all three of them.

Well really we NEED all 8 guys because every single one of them made big plays tonight.

This was a breakout game if I've ever seen one.

Dont take us lightly from this point forward.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I gave credit to Harris when he had that good 4-5 stretch, I’m not bashing him just to bash him.

He has not played well since that stretch.
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great TEAM win spearheaded by the tremendous trio we anticipated as the year got started.

Cyril makes such a difference and his stats don’t tell the entire story. He has gotten really good at using a straight vertical jump to disrupt without picking up a foul.

Jeff looks like he has his swagger back a bit. There still aren’t many guards in the a10 id take over him with the game on the line.

Fatts just doing Fatts things. He’d be the clear front runner for A10 POY if a national player of the year wasn’t suiting up in Dayton.

They mentioned on the broadcast that Tyrese has the best +\- on the team. He really brings so much to this team - I’m confident his 3’s will start falling again.

Here’s to hoping we get Bonnies without Osun this weekend.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Logical people wanted Fatts to be more choiceful with his 3s, and not hoist up contested off the dribble 23 footers. Better shot selection, versus not shooting them at all. That is what he obviously worked on improving this year and voila he is shooting it at 35%+ this year versus 22% last.

And I despise the fans that groan when Harris shoots. A huge part of shooting, beyond mechanics, is confidence. I doubt it instills a ton of confidence when one of our own players hears the home crowd groan. That happened at times during foul shots in the Hurley era and I hated that too. That is only making a kid tighter and not helping. Harris has pretty good mechanics. I have witnessed him knock down countless shots in practice/pregame. In the flow of the offense, and when he is open and has 10 toes to the rim, I have no issue with him trying 1-2 threes a game.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I want Osun to suit up this weekend. I want us to beat them at their best. If we lose to them without them, there will be a cataclysmic event here.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I want Osun to suit up this weekend. I want us to beat them at their best. If we lose to them without them, there will be a cataclysmic event here.
No. It will be a nightmare if we lose, regardless. Give us their B squad and hope Osun comes back later to help their computer numbers after we leave town.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I want Osun to suit up this weekend. I want us to beat them at their best. If we lose to them without them, there will be a cataclysmic event here.
Q2 win with or without him, I’ll take it with him on the Bench.
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He does not
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Simply put that was the best, most complete half of basketball in over a year. This team is finding it's identity and it's somewhere between "you're not going to beat us" and "fuck you you're not going to beat us." Tonight was most definitely the latter.

What. A. Statement.

Fatts Russell is everything we thought he was going to be and more. He's our guy. Period. He is one of the most gifted finishers I've seen at the rim in my life - and that's not even counting the fact that he's 5'9 on a good day. We're going wherever he takes us.

I LOVED the decision to keep the ball in Jeff's hands more. Jeff really feeds off the rhythm of distributing the ball and letting the offense flow around him. For some reason even on the ball, he looks more comfortable finding a shooting situation than if he was off-ball and open.

Cyril Langevine is the best low post defender in the A10. Coming off that ankle tweak, for him to play as aggressively well as he did - while not fouling the whole 2nd half - is amazing. He turned the tide.

Now that being said - I'd love to know the rationale for keeping CL on the bench with 2 fouls in the first half. I get that it's the "normal" thing for coaches to do, but Cyril being out was why we got WORKED until halftime. We got outrebounded 25-15 without him. He's a smart senior. If you can't trust him to not foul and play smart defense - what are we even doing here? Even more so he proved he was capable of playing elite, aggressive defense without fouling for the final 20. What a stud. Would love to hear that question asked of DC though, I would just like to hear his perspective on it. We NEED Cyril on the floor, he's the engine that runs our defense.

If Cyril is the engine though, Fatts is the supercharger. Holy hell does he have faster hands than Cassius Clay.

Now for the part where a choice few are going to groan like I'm Harris hoisting up a 3; c'mon guys. Yes everyone who is on this board is a diehard fan who is rooting for every single player to be their best on and off the court. We LOVE everyone who suits up in a URI uniform. We are rooting for them.

It is not some cardinal sin of fanhood to simply point out that Harris is lightyears behind the rest of the team from a defensive standpoint. It is not to say he will never get there, but he struggles mightily on the defensive end from keeping track of his assignment, to technique, to effort. For everything he may give you when he's got it going on the offensive end, and the one OT performance that his rebounding effort won us the game singlehandedly - he's currently a defensive liability.

That is not me saying I don't wish he was on the team or anything that someone might insinuate from this statement. He clearly has the tools - but he needs a lot more work on the defensive side of the ball. A lot more work.

His defensive lapses directly cost Cyril his early foul trouble that put him on the bench. It's like Jermaine just loses his bearings around the hoop - I mean twice I saw him start low post inside on a guy, and while bodied up he somehow wound up inside the key with his man between him and the basket for an easy hoop.

Cox obviously saw the same thing because Harris didn't see the floor the rest of the way in the 2nd half and the close game turned into a blowout. In fact, because I counted, we had 1 missed defensive assignment in the low post with Harris on the bench. 1.

Him losing bearings in the middle of the defense causes the entire D to rotate and play catch-up, leading to an open 3 way too often for comfort.

I think JH will get it together and at least be less of a liability defensively. He's definitely got the tools. But he also may be more of an offensive-focused player, which is fine too. He should be used as an offensive match-up specialist at this point, until he can figure out his defensive responsibilities at this level. But just pointing out the fact that Jermaine isn't where he needs to be defensively doesn't make anyone on here less of a fan. Unless someone wants to say Dave Cox isn't rooting for the team to succeed since he had Jermaine ride the bench the final 15 minutes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago That’s how it’s done. Kenpom and NET will go up a big chunk due to how they played better than computer prediction.
A lot of games still out there tonight which can indirectly move the numbers a bit, but after tonight’s game went into the formula we moved up to 61 from 69.

ETA: talking about KenPom here.
Now at 59 with 52 of 53 games tonight updated in KenPom.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I guess we were able to see Cyril's value to the team from the tale of two halfs , one without him in essence and one with him . I thoughtToppin's three really loosened up the team after Fatts had pushed the team ahead . Nice games from Fatts, Dowtin ,Martin and Walker and just a complete turnaround
in the second half especially the shooting . Fatts and Jeff heated up just in time and Martin rebounded and hit some big shots They looked like
we all dream they will play in that second half .. Defense shouldn't be overlooked either : 17 points in a half after 38 in the first half, really ? Wow!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I was at the game with my five year and my neighbor said the ambulance was at my house. Apparently the three year old swallowed a marble. I had to leave to meet my wife and daughter in Fall River. My daughter ended up being fine, but I might be banned from further games as they were down 8 at half and won by 22. I have no idea how they made that big a turn around, but have to assume it was their best half of the season? Big win
Man, I am sorry to hear that. I have a three year old myself. He'll be 4 in April. That is my worst fear. You aren't banned from anything, you are a father, job # 1 is the well being of your family.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great win and that was a stellar 2nd half performance

On to Olean !!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Evvvvvveryone wanted Fatts to stop shooting 3s last year when he was shooting so bad, yet we want our 6’9, 10.3% forward to continue shooting 3s.

Got it, makes total sense.

Do we not remember 6000 people literally groaned when Harris shot a 3 a couple games back?
And Fatts now shoots 3s at 35% showing players can improve, you goddamn walnut.

We aren't jumping on Harris' back because we learned our lesson with Fatts.

We could have just won the National Championship and every one of your 600 posts in the game thread will be negative. You need to take a break for a while for your own mental health.
Last edited by RhodyKyle 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I gave credit to Harris when he had that good 4-5 stretch, I’m not bashing him just to bash him.

He has not played well since that stretch.
Yes - he had a 4-5 stretch where he was REALLY good. Now he is in a stretch where he is contributing but not quite at that super high level. He is a Sophomore. Fatts last year had a few “stretches” and then the last 10 games of the season everything started to click. When it fully clicks for JH we will Be adding another huge weapon to the team. For now, we have a guy who hustles, works hard and is an asset.

That 3 ball will drop. His shot is too smooth looking. Same with Jacob.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I can’t remember us ever having a center that could shoot 3s and stretch the floor....Harris is just a sophomore, his shot has good rotation, and he shoots his free throw pretty well. If he is open and it’s not the last 5 mins of a close game or 2 seconds into the shot clock he should let it fly. If he can develop (because that’s what 19 year old kids do they improve) into a 30% 3 point shooter that will open up sooooo much space for the offense...

We are not the Celtics so stop expecting players to be finished products when they arrive here.
Clapton is God
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Aside from his play on the court, Cyril held the team together when things started getting chippy in the beginning of the second half. I saw him wave off the coaches and take it upon himself to calm down his teammates
Jermaine was in foul trouble but I thought he was as engaged and aggressive as I’ve seen all year. He’s also doing a better job fighting for and holding on to the ball.