12/29 | Middle Tennessee | 4:30PM (No TV?)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: 12/29 | Middle Tennessee | 4:30PM (No TV?)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t really want to get into this after a great performance on the road today. I’m glad sitting Cyril had no impact on the outcome of the game. At work if my best staff person screws something up, I don’t send them home from work or take them off my most important projects. We get into a room and talk about it and then we move on. Unless it’s so bad that we need to fire the person, the consequences for mistakes are social and not stuff that is going to hurt the company like taking them off important projects. I learned from my best coaches, bosses, teachers, etc. that being straight about your disappointment and then putting your arm around someone that made a mistake is the best thing for the person and the larger group. I think these suspensions are petty.

The Cyril thing is what it is, it is over and it didn’t cost them so even though I disagree I’m fine to never talk about it again. I’ve been saying the same about Tate for weeks and my opinion hasn’t changed: i don’t need to know what it is to think it was either bad enough that he should be gone or he should be back on the team. It’s not my fault I don’t know what he did, they’re welcome to tell me and clear it up, maybe it’ll change my mind. Otherwise I can’t imagine what could justify this specific suspension.

Also, Jerry D was a dummy and didn't know what he was doing. Cox is much too smart and competent to be handling the Tate situation this way.
Normally, you are good at convincing me to see both sides. This time, no. Comparing what you do in the work place to what should be done to penalize a college athlete is not an equivalent imo.

Agree to disagree.
I 100% side with whatever the hell Cox wants to do. It's clear he's pushed all the right buttons this season so far. Since the Tate suspension and this Langevine one we are 3-0 with a double digit win against a rival and a blow-out on the road.

Plus, Walker was very obviously a hit - and short of being screwed by the NCAA/Georgetown, we'd probably have 1 or 2 more wins.

If this is how Cox wants to run his team, I'm a fan.
I agree with Blue Man: Bad analogy by TP. If a senior can be late to practice with no consequences, you're sending a bad message to your freshmen. Soon, you have a team that doesn't follow rules or listen to the coaches. Every successful coach I know demands the players be on time. Simple request.
As for Tate, TP is misreading the situation but I won't say more than that.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Normally, you are good at convincing me to see both sides. This time, no. Comparing what you do in the work place to what should be done to penalize a college athlete is not an equivalent imo.

Agree to disagree.
I 100% side with whatever the hell Cox wants to do. It's clear he's pushed all the right buttons this season so far. Since the Tate suspension and this Langevine one we are 3-0 with a double digit win against a rival and a blow-out on the road.

Plus, Walker was very obviously a hit - and short of being screwed by the NCAA/Georgetown, we'd probably have 1 or 2 more wins.

If this is how Cox wants to run his team, I'm a fan.
I agree with Blue Man: Bad analogy by TP. If a senior can be late to practice with no consequences, you're sending a bad message to your freshmen. Soon, you have a team that doesn't follow rules or listen to the coaches. Every successful coach I know demands the players be on time. Simple request.
As for Tate, TP is misreading the situation but I won't say more than that.
Yeah, the staff is doing the responsible thing. We can leave it there.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago According to the person the Providence Journal employed to cover yesterday's game (in article printed by paper), URI will next host Brown:

Screenshot_2019-12-30 Providence Journal.png

Can't really blame Joseph Spears whose regular job is for the Murfreesboro Daily News Journal. How could anyone possibly expect him to know much about a URI team that is located over one thousand miles away.
In my edition, they also ran the Bryant box with the URI gamer.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am less worried about the Cyril situation - it didn’t cost them anything and it wasn’t a prolonged benching. At the time I made the original comments, I didn’t know either of those things. In the end, I don’t have a problem with how it was handled.

The Tate thing...like I said, I don’t have the details, but that’s not my fault. Maybe it is a lack of imagination on my part, but based on every kind of infraction I can imagine, either he should be back or he should be off the team and/or out of school. I don’t know what type of thing would warrant this specific type of discipline where the guy is just gone indefinitely and looking likely to be upwards of an entire month. If it’s a misread on my part, I can only go by what I know which is that whatever it is is apparently not bad enough for him to be gone. So I think he should be back.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any replay?
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Just to let you know.

In real life it was actually in HD.
I just watched this about 75 times in a row

Long got the best view of the slam as he came in from the left

Love how the backboard vibrated
Love how the 30 second clock vibrated
Love how Langevine froze for a second after landing
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I am less worried about the Cyril situation - it didn’t cost them anything and it wasn’t a prolonged benching. At the time I made the original comments, I didn’t know either of those things. In the end, I don’t have a problem with how it was handled.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Steve and Don reported that Cyril's situation was due to the fact that he was late to a practice. If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt them, then I'm fine with how it was handled as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I am less worried about the Cyril situation - it didn’t cost them anything and it wasn’t a prolonged benching. At the time I made the original comments, I didn’t know either of those things. In the end, I don’t have a problem with how it was handled.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Steve and Don reported that Cyril's situation was due to the fact that he was late to a practice. If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt them, then I'm fine with how it was handled as well.
It’s true. Was mentioned prior to game time yesterday
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The Tate thing...like I said, I don’t have the details, but that’s not my fault. Maybe it is a lack of imagination on my part, but based on every kind of infraction I can imagine, either he should be back or he should be off the team and/or out of school. I don’t know what type of thing would warrant this specific type of discipline where the guy is just gone indefinitely and looking likely to be upwards of an entire month. If it’s a misread on my part, I can only go by what I know which is that whatever it is is apparently not bad enough for him to be gone. So I think he should be back.
Lol, what?

That’s like saying every crime should be weighted equally. There are varying degrees...which you know. Dana’s issues are personal in nature. They are being dealt with accordingly.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Lol, what?

That’s like saying every crime should be weighted equally. There are varying degrees...which you know. Dana’s issues are personal in nature. They are being dealt with accordingly.
All the insiders keep saying that, and I trust them. But if he didnt get arrested or something its hard for me (and others) to imagine what in his personal life deserves a suspension of this length. I trust you all but its definitely a weird situation to us non plugged in fans.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I would offer the Dana personal situation should remain where it is, and dealing with accordingly is certainly not at this point off the team or out of school......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago

Lol, what?

All the insiders keep saying that, and I trust them. But if he didnt get arrested or something its hard for me (and others) to imagine what in his personal life deserves a suspension of this length. I trust you all but its definitely a weird situation to us non plugged in fans.
Maybe the personal life situation was making him pout on on the bench during the Manhattan game and had something to do with the tech at WVU.

So he needs to get it resolved so those things dont happen again.

Either way. Not that worried about it.

Cant wait til hes back! Love his Rhody pride and talent!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

nvm....
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The most noteworthy aspect to the road win over Middle Tennessee is that the Rams came out strong, put their foot to the metal and kept it there for the entire time - no numerous or long scoring droughts, no blown leads, no tentativeness, no complacency. Yes, MT is a bad team, but so was Manhattan and LIU and in those games played in a home environment, URI did not look like a tournament worthy team. So maybe the WKU game was the huge wake-up call this team needed to get them mentally ready for the A-10 battles. And it couldn't have happened at a better time. Now let's go and eat some bear meat.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Dana has accepted whatever consequences/fate levied against him. His name would’ve hit the portal by now if he felt this punishment was outlandish.
Welp
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am good with whatever Cox is doing right now

He handled the Cyril situation fine , guys need to adhere to the team rules
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Dana has accepted whatever consequences/fate levied against him. His name would’ve hit the portal by now if he felt this punishment was outlandish.
Oops.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Things changed quickly.

Will miss Dana, but once again, these kids have to make smarter decisions.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Things changed quickly.
In an hour?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
In an hour?
Exactly my response.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

In an hour?
I hadn’t checked back in on the situation over the past couple weeks. He had even told a few fans after the game that he was definitely coming back after he took care of some things.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Doesn't the Tate discussion belong in the Tate thread???
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Doesn't the Tate discussion belong in the Tate thread???
Either that or the beer thread
🍺
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In an hour?
I think it was 54 minutes
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I feel like that clip of Cyril’s dunk is the basketball equivalent of a snippet of embargoed video from North Korea or something. Like I feel like I was never supposed to see it but it somehow found a way to my eyeballs.
It reminds me of a clip you’d see on barstool sports of a mall fight about to break out. You know there are people in the shot, but you can’t make out many details. Then something happens and you have to rewind it to figure out exactly what’s going on.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I feel like that clip of Cyril’s dunk is the basketball equivalent of a snippet of embargoed video from North Korea or something. Like I feel like I was never supposed to see it but it somehow found a way to my eyeballs.
It reminds me of a clip you’d see on barstool sports of a mall fight about to break out. You know there are people in the shot, but you can’t make out many details. Then something happens and you have to rewind it to figure out exactly what’s going on.
But even better it rewinds and replays itself. Awesome representation of the strength, skill, leadership and aggressiveness that Langevine brings to this team.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Walker’s highlights from the game can be seen on his Instagram story - his handle is CFN.5
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just saw them, he looks like the top player on the whole squad.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Just saw them as well, he certainly shows a diverse repertoire with a steal and flush, block at the rim of a dunk, nice pass to Cyril and looking very comfortable stepping out to hit a corner 10 footer and then a wing 3.
To say he has exceeded expectations would be an understatement.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right I just saw them also . We got a player here going to be a fun 2.5 years watching him