Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: REPORTS: Dan Hurley a Candidate for St. John's

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:
scine20 wrote:Quite honestly I would not be interested in bringing Bobby Hurley in if Dan is to leave. Why go through this again every single year? I'd rather bring someone in who will not be looking at the next available job every offseason. Someone mentioned Herb Sendek. He's getting older, I'd imagine he'd be very content taking a job like this one. But these young up and comers? All it'll take is one NCAA tournament run and we'll be going through this nonsense again.
That is specifically what I would want. Having people coming after your coach is a good problem to have. With even a few years of success, the program will be on much better footing to beat back other schools who would come after the coach. Three straight tournaments and maxed out ticket sales would provide the kind of revenue to make this a $2M job, possibly.
I agree. Even if you lose a couple coaches who use the program as a stepping stone, you're still increasing its overall profile and revenue. Those two factors will eventually allow you to keep someone long-term.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Xavier played the card perfectly for many regimes
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

seanmc94 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:For sure, his business was built off the UMD football program. Every major university has a Titan of industry shelling out athletic support, Plank is the exception who goes above and beyond for many reasons. I just have never seen anything whereas Repole is playing that as involved role with SJU basketball. Maybe I missed it. All I see is him saying he wants to buy out Wilpon.
You miss a lot. He's very involved. Anytime the Johnnies swoop in out of nowhere and grab a recruit, the rumor is they love Vitamin Water

I would love to miss you...can u go away?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote:Xavier played the card perfectly for many regimes
Completely agree. I think Xavier is the model for modern day mid-major programs.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

scine20 wrote:Quite honestly I would not be interested in bringing Bobby Hurley in if Dan is to leave. Why go through this again every single year? I'd rather bring someone in who will not be looking at the next available job every offseason. Someone mentioned Herb Sendek. He's getting older, I'd imagine he'd be very content taking a job like this one. But these young up and comers? All it'll take is one NCAA tournament run and we'll be going through this nonsense again.
I don't get this thinking. It sounds like you would rather have somebody who is just an average coach that nobody else wants and would just have us mediocre at best every year. You make an NCAA tournament run sound like a negative thing.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:
I don't get this thinking. It sounds like you would rather have somebody who is just an average coach that nobody else wants and would just have us mediocre at best every year. You make an NCAA tournament run sound like a negative thing.
We already had that and it made all of us want to set ourselves on fire, now the coach's name is thrown around in connection with another job and some people want to go back to that?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Did you guys know that Rutgers hired Eddie Jordan,
because he was the guy they wanted and never offered Dan their job?
Funny, Dan signed his extension on April 12,2013 and
Jordan was announced April 24, 2013.
Guess some people claim to know the facts,
when in fact they know very little.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
However, nobody is entitled to their own facts.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I'm not saying that I want URI to settle. I'm not asking for another Baron. Baron was a no-name when he was hired. What I'm asking for is a proven guy who will not be looking to take the next big job after a year of success. Someone who would want to stay at URI for a long time. Think of the Steve Fisher situation at San Diego State. I'd want something similar to that. I mentioned Herb Sendek because I think he's a very good coach. I know things didn't work out at Arizona State but I still think he'd be as good as anyone out there and not a threat to leave every single time a job at a higher profile school opens up. I would have suggested Ben Howland as well had he not taken the Mississippi State job.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If we have a good basketball "program", good coaches will come and go. I think Thor treats coaches well and URI is a good stop for coaches on their way up. The "program" is in much, much, much better shape than when Dan arrived. I want Dan to stay, but best wishes and thanks if he decides to move on.

It won't take much to convince an up and coming coach to sign-on here. Yes, we are vulnerable to a bad hire. URI needs to be careful not to over-commit and shouldn't have to because of where Dan has the program now. A winning culture has been established.
NCAAs or Bust!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Rhody72 wrote:If we have a good basketball "program", good coaches will come and go. I think Thor treats coaches well and URI is a good stop for coaches on their way up. The "program" is in much, much, much better shape than when Dan arrived. I want Dan to stay, but best wishes and thanks if he decides to move on.

It won't take much to convince an up and coming coach to sign-on here. Yes, we are vulnerable to a bad hire. URI needs to be careful not to over-commit and shouldn't have to because of where Dan has the program now. A winning culture has been established.
There's no "winning culture" yet. Let's see them make a tournament run before we start talking about that.

What happens if Hurley goes and takes a couple of his players with him. Do you know where this program will be if that happens?
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like Dan as a coach. I think he and his staff have done a great job with recruiting talent and then developing that talent. I think this year was a good example of what Dan and the staff can do when they get the guys they want. Jared and Jarvis played impressive basketball in the second half of this season as FRESHMAN. Let's keep that in mind. Has and Mathews were pretty good last year as Freshman as well. Jarvis wasn't rated very high (in comparison to a guy like Jared and E.C. or even Has), but played with some big stones and stepped up his game. It took 3 years to make the NIT, but that's with using leftover players from a previous coach and transfers...some of which took a while to grow some confidence and extra basketball IQ between their ears.
I'm excited to see what next year holds for Rhody! Personally, I believe Dan has a good opportunity at URI to be able to build a competitive program that can be very successful year after year like Shaka has done at VCU. It appears he's already well on his way to doing just that.
If Dan want's more money and if URI wants to up Dan's contract, just load it with incentives. Pay for performance. This way Dan can get paid and Rhody doesn't have to worry about getting burned.
I think Dan is a smart guy. My bet is he stays at URI for a while.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI [Thorr and Dooley] have laid the foundation for a good program going forward.

Whether Dan leaves or not, I'm confident things will continue to improve.

The reports I've heard say that Dan will take the St. Johns job if Mullin doesn't.

If that's true, which there is no way to confirm as of now, WHY would he?

Money? Issues here? Does he really want out, for whatever reason?

Anyway, we'll know in a few days, tops.

I'm actually pretty mellow about all of this. Don't really know why. Just a feeling that things will work out, now matter what happens. This program is in a better place maybe?
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Rambone, could you be specific as to what report you "heard"?
Last edited by CTRamfan 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some St. John's people tweeting that Mullin probably is not interested.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, I've felt that way too. I doubt Mullin will take the job.

It could be Dan's if he wants it.

I'm ready for the news, if it happens.

I just hope the guys here [the players I mean] will understand this is a business, after all.

Nothing will surprise me, whatever happens.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: The reports I've heard say that Dan will take the St. Johns job if Mullin doesn't.
You mean the St. John's fan that is posting here? Not to say that his info isn't good, maybe it is. But don't be like "reports I heard" when everyone here heard the same thing from the same person, who we don't know and whose info is as self-serving as one of our posters saying "don't worry, all is well."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Does anyone really know anything except the actual players themselves?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All I know TP, is that Dan is making a career decision, and maybe he already knows what he's doing by now.

I'm sure his players, coaches, and URI know what's going on.

We don't, yet. We are the last to know.

Let's put it this way, OK? If he's told St. Johns he's not interested, wouldn't somebody have put that out there by now?

Whatever happens, happens.

Oops. One more thing. DePaul might be bringing Leitao back. Maybe Bobby has backed off, or is looking more toward the Ariz. St. job?

Or, does that mean Dan might be going to St. Johns? They aren't both going to the BE, they won't coach against each other.

Just a thought. Like I've said, if he goes, he goes.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I love dan and want him to represent Rhody for the next decade.

With that being said, if he leaves. We should hire someone that can stop anyone from transfering and brings a badass post player with him.

Imagine that? I would feel like a kick in the gut if we lost him. But I think there are ways we still make the tournament next year regardless of him.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramster, we have a general Coaching Carousel thread, remember? YOU asked for a DAN HURLEY specific one and we delivered. I moved the Bobby talk there.

PLEASE, everyone, try to keep on topic here. There's enough (mis)information and cross-talk on this fast moving thread as it is. Keep your posts specific to URI and Dan Hurley's situation to the extent possible.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

My gut tells me we'll know the answer today or tomorrow and then we can move on. These things don't usually drag out.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ramster, we have a general Coaching Carousel thread, remember? YOU asked for a DAN HURLEY specific one and we delivered. I moved the Bobby talk there.

PLEASE, everyone, try to keep on topic here. There's enough (mis)information and cross-talk on this fast moving thread as it is. Keep your posts specific to URI and Dan Hurley's situation to the extent possible.
ooops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

scine, Dan might be waiting to see what Bobby does first.

I'm guessing by Tuesday or Wednesday, at the latest. Long 2 or 3 days ahead.

Just like when the Rutgers job was open, total silence from all the particulars involved.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:scine, Dan might be waiting to see what Bobby does first.

Just like when the Rutgers job was open, total silence from all the particulars involved.
From what I remember the Rutgers thing took maybe a day. It was pretty much all day on final 4 Saturday that we debated what would happen. And it sure looked at the time like he was going.

At the same time, if Hurley DOESN'T go, how is he going to look at his players that he committed to and explain why he was clearly looking for a different opportunity?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan could be trying to find out if Sampson will keep his commitment to St. John's. I'm sure there are many details like that to go over before Dan makes a decision.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Was thinking a lot about this 425 post thread as I was reading the NYP piece this AM about our friend Holton.

The job here is far from done - we know it, DH knows it....all the players know it.

If DH goes this a pure broken promises money grab. St John's is not basketball Nirvana.

Nothing else.

That's it gonna lurk this one now for a while.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, we should all take a deep breath and wait for the next piece of legitimate information to be reported by trusted sources. We have been down this road before, 2 yrs ago, with the same coach.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The thing that's frustrating from our standpoint, is Dan REALLY interested in the job, or has he told everybody he's not?

This thing could be much ado about nothing, or it could actually happen.

It's one or the other for sure.

If it turns out he wants the job, but doesn't take it, [Bobby?] yes what does that say to his players here?

It says he wants out. To me, that says he thinks URI will not, or can never be that Gonzaga of the East he was talking about. Too many institutional obstacles.

If that's the case, even if URI sweetens his deal to try to keep him, will it matter?

57, you're right on that one.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

scine20 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:scine, Dan might be waiting to see what Bobby does first.

From what I remember the Rutgers thing took maybe a day. It was pretty much all day on final 4 Saturday that we debated what would happen. And it sure looked at the time like he was going.

At the same time, if Hurley DOESN'T go, how is he going to look at his players that he committed to and explain why he was clearly looking for a different opportunity?
Same way he did when the Rutgers opportunity came up.
Plus it's not like he was clearly looking for a different opportunity.......they approached him.
It's part of he business.
Shaka smart has to explain to his players every year because every year his name comes up.
We at URI have been Baronized because for 12 long years nothing came up except for that stupid Virginia tech establishment. Nobody wanted our guy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, true and it's the same in this case too I think. St. Johns has approached him.

Now we get to see what his answer is, in this case.

St. Johns imo is in a much better spot than Rutgers was, or still is, by the looks of things. Big 10 or no Big 10.

They are most likely offering a new coach more than double what Rutgers offered 2 years ago. And that's only the money part of it.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can't put lipstick on a pig. You either keep your promises or you don't. If you don't you lie.

Simple.

I never assume someone is lying until they do. Then I am done with them......I'm kind of a big keep your promises guy.

So far all promises have been kept and this thread is all guesswork...it was fun playing yesterday but now I am tired of it personally. You all carry on tho, I really will lurk and shut up until things settle into fact.

(but I will keep checking in )

Have a nice Sunday Ram fans and how 'bout those hockey Friars?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If Dan leaves, I say hire Cox as HC. He would be able retain the roster, has stronger recruiting ties and background that Preston (imo). Give him a few years, see how he does, especially if he keeps the roster in tact. I'm sure some of Danny's coaching strategies and philosophies have rubbed off on him and he has quite a trick bag of philosophies of other coaches he's worked for to pull from.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I don't think we can assume much from the lack of denials. What feasibly could have happened on Friday:

Dan: "I'm not interested in the opening."

SJU: "Do you mind keeping this under wraps so we can can say X coach was our first choice?"

Dan: "Sure."

I don't know, just as possible as anyone else's explanation...
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cox??? Are you friggin serious?
He's been fired from his last two jobs.
People don't want Preston, who recruited most of these kids,
and is one of ours, and you want to hire Cox as
head coach????????????
Think big! You don't.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Something tells me Thorr has a list of candidates, if Dan does leave.

He's being proactive. He knows the day will come when he needs to start looking again.

Like he said in his tweet, there are no problems, only solutions.

Preston would be my #1 choice. The guy that just turned down Fordham [Toole] would be high on my list too.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Ya would not be in favor of Cox being made our coach...if Dan leaves which I do not think he will best case scenario is hiring Preston and Skinner as his assistant...like Rod said Preston is one of us and this is the job he wants more than anything
Clapton is God
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Some of you guys wanting to call people liars and otherwise throw around personal attacks need a reality check. This is the game. I appreciate the passion, but we all want a big-time basketball program and you have to take the good with the bad. Hopefully our coach sticks around a little longer, but this is the deal. If he doesn't it doesn't make him a bad guy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only guy I would hire before Preston would be Bobby.

That's not happening. Even if it did, how long would he stay?

Cox? No way.

TP, no he wouldn't be the bad guy, but jeez, at least get us to one Dance before leaving?

I know timing is everything, if he really wants the SJU opening, he has to take it now.

I have a feeling he's gone. Not based on facts, we don't have any yet. Just a feeling.

If Dan does leave, we have an opportunity to keep things going. That's what will make me happy, after the initial disappointment of losing our coach.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rodfromcranston wrote:Cox??? Are you friggin serious?
He's been fired from his last two jobs.
People don't want Preston, who recruited most of these kids,
and is one of ours, and you want to hire Cox as
head coach????????????
Think big! You don't.

What two gigs are you referring to? Clearly you're talking out your ass like you feel I am. He left GTown for more $$$. Eddie is clearly lost. You should probably do some research next time before speaking.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When we were a complete mess we were able to get Dan...we are now a solid program in a one of the 7 best conferences in the country. If Dan leaves (PLEASE DON'T GO!) we should have our pick of coaches to choose from, so that we can continue this spring ritual the first sign of success they have.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He was FIRED from Rutgers, and left Georgetown under controversy.

"Some believe that Cox really didn't bring anything to the Hoyas, and that his AAU connections weren't as deep as advertised. Others thought he took too long to start performing, and proposed that there were chemistry problems between Thompson and Cox. There is certainly some truth to this, the first DC Assault recruit Cox landed, Jordan Goodman, would not have reached the Hilltop until 2012."
"There are some Georgetown fans that are actually rejoicing in the news that Cox is leaving. The gents over at Hoya Balla titled the post announcing Cox's move to Rutgers "Merry Christmas."
No thanks.

Back to the real subject.
Anyone who thinks Dan's job has been mission accomplished, is way off
base.
The program is far better than he found it, in so many ways, but he still has miles
to go, as far as his stated goals here.
I wonder when we'll hear something concrete on this mess?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIFan, this ritual will continue, until URI can compensate their coaching staff in the range of Smart and co. at VCU.

Like Ramster said, you get what you pay for. If URI wants to be VCU or Gonzaga, they have to pony up like those programs do.

And I don't think URI can do that yet, or is in a position to do that yet.

Remember, the level that Dan promised we would get to, hasn't happened yet. It may never happen, nothing is guaranteed despite best laid plans. If he can't deliver that big man or two?

Once [and if] that level is achieved, then URI will pay the man. Not before, in spite of what people would like.

I can see URI increasing Dan's pay now. 1.5 mil a year? Not for a while, sorry. If a moderate increase isn't good enough to keep him for now, then it's tough.

Didn't work with Preston, although there may have been other issues besides money. Same with Dan.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rod, you're an idiot...your obvious quick google search proves nothing besides the fact that you were looking for negativity. Moving on....

Since I am entitled to my opinion, my choice for Dan's successor would be Cox or Murphy and I'm not opposed to either.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rod, an excerpt from the article you pulled the negativity from...

"Georgetown does not have the budget to hire a big name assistant coach, or even match the significant pay raise Cox was probably offered by Rutgers."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You like him, fine.
So, tell me besides Butts, who is said to be "serviceable" and not much
more, who did Cox recruit here?
Lots of fanfare, little results.

Rambone, there were other issues, as to why Preston left.
He and Dan were solid, but Preston didn't quite fit in with the
NJ crowd, particularly Jim Carr.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

We have had seven coaches in the last 30 years.
.....Dan Hurley has put excitement back into the program. As in the past, we are "ripe for the plucking" when it comes to us having success. Witness the departers of Penders, Harrick, and to a lesser degree Skinner. Two went for money, one for glory/ego. You can't always stop that.

.....The million dollar question is, what would it take to keep Dan Hurley. I believe him when he has suggested this is his place to be. He seems honest, and has integrity. I ask myself, what would I do if I was in his shoes......with a young family, and a good upside in career developement.....EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS [nothing wrong with that]........If he is happy at URI, and his family is happy here, test what the market might say you are worth, then renegotiate with URI.....If your value is not what URI could afford, you have a tough choice. My advice Coach, life is full of compromises, family stability vs. salary. Whatever decision you make, be happy with it. Don't look back.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just an observation, that might or might not be accurate since I did not see all the games, but, it seemed that Cox was not the primary guy helping Dan with game strategy and Xs and Os. Most of the time he seemed on the outside of the circle, as others talked to the players. It seemed to me that Murray was the guy doing the above.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I know, Rod.

Preston would return in a heartbeat, as long as Dan takes his assistants with him, which I'm sure he would.

CTRamfan, I think that is what's happening.

Big decisions to make, in a very short time.

I hope it's made SOON. If URI has to replace their entire staff, with the signing period coming up...

Hiring Preston would ease the transition big time I would think. Might even bring someone with him...players I mean....
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

If anybody is looking to grab a little sanity back (something that might be needed when I think I read someone write that Dan Hurley is a bigger name than Shaka Smart which is insanity at it's peak) if you go on pretty much any successful program's message board last year with a relatively young coach they are having the same conversations we are (go check out the Butler forum, etc.).

That being said, this is what I was most afraid of…I was rooting for St. John's and Seton Hall all year for this reason. I think St. John's presents the most risk out of any other program. But if he turns it down that would show that there are not a whole lot of jobs he will take and maybe we can be the next Gonzaga…but I'm afraid this could be the worst case scenario.

Anyway, I'm going for a walk and staying off twitter but thanks for listening to me..
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look, Dan hasn't given URI the means to generate big money, yet.
You need NCAAs and not just one and done appearances for that to happen.
So, what's happening is paying him big money on the hope he can deliver.
It's the cart before the horse, as things stand.
This isn't Penders or Harrick, that made big runs in the NCAAs and
had records of prior success.
Bottom line is, Dan has made great inroads here, but he's had one winning season,
and an NIT.
I keep reading in these NYC articles about how he would plumb the rich NJ
recruiting area.
Well, if you think recruiting Mike Aaman is great, fine.
Guess what? He's the only native Jerseyite Dan has brought here.
I'd like him to stay, but he may make it fiscally impossible for URI to keep him.

Rambone, one option, thinking outside the box, IF Dan leaves, would be like "Plan B" when CFL was canned.
Bring in an older coach (Skinner at that time was interviewed) with Preston as official
coach in waiting. That would accomplish keeping players here, keeping the recruiting
pipelines open, and stabilize the program.