General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

That could be in part due to the fact that many key players in the 15 era have already made their choice. The 16 have yet to reach that tipping point.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:That could be in part due to the fact that many key players in the 15 era have already made their choice. The 16 have yet to reach that tipping point.
I'm not sure I understand. They're talking about the top 100 or so in each class, committed or not.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yes, this.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... peach-jam/

7. Parents can have a big impact on the recruitment of their kids: One of the themes of the first two weeks of July has been some parents overdoing it when it comes to handling their child’s youth basketball careers. I’ve talked to a handful of college coaches this month who mentioned not recruiting certain players specifically because their parents were too much of a handful to deal with away from the court. Some parents were sitting on team benches, constantly screaming at officials and making a fuss with coaches over playing time. While this kind of thing happens at events besides the Peach Jam, parents yelling at officials seemed to be all too common in North Augusta. I understand a parent wanting the best for their child, but many coaches don’t want to deal with the headache that some parents present. Consider yourself warned, basketball parents. College coaches are also looking at you while recruiting your kid.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Interesting, but not incorrect, tweet from Andy Toole, head coach at Robert Morris

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Good way for players to kill their recruiting
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Just reviewed the latest on the 247sports predictions, I didn't see us favored with any recruits which isn't surprising, anybody see us favored for anybody currently?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:Just reviewed the latest on the 247sports predictions, I didn't see us favored with any recruits which isn't surprising, anybody see us favored for anybody currently?
Thats probably for the best, seeing as those guys are usually wrong.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Last time I looked, Reuter was favoring us according to 247. But like Adam says, it doesn't mean much. Normally, their guess is as good as ours.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Last time I looked, Reuter was favoring us according to 247. But like Adam says, it doesn't mean much. Normally, their guess is as good as ours.
And then the next two guesses were Virgina, who just offered but made his final five.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Last time I looked, Reuter was favoring us according to 247. But like Adam says, it doesn't mean much. Normally, their guess is as good as ours.
And then the next two guesses were Virgina, who just offered but made his final five.
Yeah, Borzello switched from us to Virginia, but just because they were the latest to offer, I guess.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thats probably a better way of putting it actually, its basically a guess like you said. Sure maybe once in awhile one of these guys might have some additional info, but 99% of the time its a guess based off the same stuff we hear/read.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was wondering this same thing... At what point does 247 have enough data to show who truly has good information and who doesn't? It seems they are only proving that they don't really know much beyond what chatter is on twitter, etc.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

they only really know right before the announcement when most people know anyway. at least that how it seems to me
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I actually like the predictions, the ratings system takes into account the time between the correct prediction and the commitment. Brian Flinn got 83 points for staying with his Jared Terrell prediction, the guy who changed his pick 3 days before Terrell's commitment got .03 points. I don't take it seriously, I don't think any of those guys have inside knowledge to what's going on in these kids heads, but I do like that they're willing to put their prediction out there for everyone to see and criticize.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Round-up of some key recruiting points. I think this one is especially good- some targets remain the same, but it's a really fluid time right now-

7. The next few weeks really determine the direction of the 2015 class: Priorities and targets have already changed over the last three weeks, as coaches were finally able to see guys this month after last seeing them in a competitive setting in April. Players were moved up and down the board, new players were added, old players were removed. The next couple weeks, though, things really ramp up. Players will make commitments before school starts, which will result in some dominoes falling across the landscape. Schools will have to figure out which players to bring in on official visits -- and when to bring them in. Players have to narrow their choices to decide which five official visits they want to take. Things become much more clear before September.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ion-period
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting article by Kevin Mac in today's Projo.
Mentions Jim Christian and Preston Murphy offerred Bishop Hendricken rising Soph Justin Mazzulla after seeing him play in last week's AAU National's in Louisville.
Also talks of PC and URI going after Jarrod Reuter and Terance Mann.

Plus about the A10 and where URI could fit in:
As for the Atlantic 10, Virginia Commonwealth is the top-25 quality favorite with Dayton looking to push for first place. In the next wave, George Washington returns four starters from an NCAA Tournament team, but there is a major dropoff from there that a team like Rhode Island could take advantage of. Massachusetts, Richmond and Saint Joseph’s could also contend for a top-five finish.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... season.ece
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Again PC focused even though the A-10 is emerging as the better conference.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Again PC focused even though the A-10 is emerging as the better conference.
That's not going to change no matter what.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cooley's looking good. That mascot is terrifying.

Saint Joe's contending for a top 5 finish in the A10 seems really unlikely; they have Bembry, who is great, but lost a lot of production.

For those that don't click through to the Projo, Providence is going to Italy for a week in August. The Italy trip was great last year, but I think they're glad to have August this year to prepare for the season and to get in some guys on visits.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Donovan Mitchell announced he is down to Providence, Creighton, Florida State, Indiana, Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Kansas, BC & UNC.
Per Alex Kline………..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

35 of the Top 100 ESPN Class of 2015 Recruits are already committed.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Mitchell commits to Louisville so PC misses out on their top priority
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

That's devastating for them. I can't stand some of their fans but even I feel bad for them and Big Ed on this one.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! They acted like it was a slam dunk until 17 second Rick got involved.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

CT Rhody wrote:That's devastating for them. I can't stand some of their fans but even I feel bad for them and Big Ed on this one.
Working my inner Billyboy: "Tough sh*t. I'm hope PC loses every recruit and every game!"
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Donovan Mitchell wanted to play at the highest level so he bypassed the new Big East conf. A-10 rising and Big East seriously falling!

http://nypost.com/2014/08/08/how-a-high ... ng-can-be/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought this was a most interesting statement by Mitchell's mother:
Mitchell’s mother, Nicole, described Blaney and Cooley as “very respectable men,” but she also said, “it’s not first-come, first-serve.
“It’s what’s going to work for the person,” she said. “It has to be a good match. … When you have that opportunity you may not get again, you jump on it.”

As has been correctly stated, Cooley put a ton of time into recruiting Mitchell , ever since he was in the 9th grade.
Another sign the the New Big East is not the Old Big East. Mitchell is moving on to play in a very strong Atlantic Coast Conference. Can't blame him for that.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Cools probably needs some NBA draft picks to keep recruiting elite guys.

A hurdle we seem to be getting closer to topping.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Cools probably needs some NBA draft picks to keep recruiting elite guys.

A hurdle we seem to be getting closer to topping.
True, but the attraction of the New Big East is nowhere near that of the Old Big East - The A10 with 6 NCAA Teams last year and the NBE with only 4 AND two of those 4 were involved in the play in games. It's not the same by a long shot - the AAC and the ACC saw to that.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Totally agree, with the diminished conference it is a much more difficult sell.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ESPN has come out with their 2017 Prospect List of Top 25. All these guys are rated 5 stars.
URI has offered #21 Tomas Murphy along with Florida, Boston College and Maryland
Boston College is the only school so far to offer #9 ranked Brian Bowen who is from Saginaw Arther Hill - Jordan Hare's High School.
Most of these Top 25 do not have any formal offers as yet. Kansas and SMU have offered several already.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... mas-murphy
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't think Tomas will go to URI. But I wouldn't be surprised if they at least get a look. It will be different than it was for his two brothers because URI will have a successful coach and program.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Publicly released officials-

Chris Silva: 9/3
Steven Enoch: 9/5
Jeantal Cylla: 9/12
Ernest Aflakpui: 9/26
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:Publicly released officials-

Big week coming up...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That means Aflakpui's announcement will come on the 1st day of his URI visit?

It was posted that he will visit us 9/26 to 9/28.

Good news perhaps?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Or he doesn't make the trip to Rhody
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:That means Aflakpui's announcement will come on the 1st day of his URI visit?

It was posted that he will visit us 9/26 to 9/28.

Good news perhaps?
Where did it say he is announcing on Sept. 26th? Not according to this...

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/power-fo ... -decision/
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Tomas will go to URI. But I wouldn't be surprised if they at least get a look. It will be different than it was for his two brothers because URI will have a successful coach and program.
I've been told it's expected Tomas will consider both PC and URI, but that he is a heavy Florida lean given the family's tremendous relationship with Billy D and the fact they have the national exposure of a team whose last graduating recruiting class went to 3 Elite 8's and 1 Final Four, and also that the way the local teams could help their chances is to increase their national profile, which inferred winning games in March.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:Publicly released officials-

Big week coming up...
What a fantastic week weather wise to have recruits on campus. Mid 80's, and the buzz of students returning. Let's hope we land a commit this week.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hey, remember how mad we all were a year ago today?

Glad you eventually made the right choice, Jared!

General recruiting note: coaches can get out and watch players again starting on Tuesday
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:Hey, remember how mad we all were a year ago today?

Glad you eventually made the right choice, Jared!

General recruiting note: coaches can get out and watch players again starting on Tuesday
Sometimes I try and trick myself thinking it's 1999 and we just hired Dan and haven't missed a beat.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I will gladly take and be extremely happy with Silva and Poyser rounding out the 2015 class
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Agreed
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guards we've got.
I'd much rather have Silva and Aflakpui.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think it was Ace on one of the threads that said we should go after a top tier guard every year. I agree with her. Can't have enough of them, and things change too quickly with injuries, transfers etc. Most teams play what really amounts to 3 guards and 2 forwards anyway, unless you are Kentucky, UConn, Duke NC or one of those teams.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And those are the teams that win. Maybe that's why?
With the new foul rules, big man depth becomes more important.
Also, if you can't rebound the ball, you can't run.
We brought in two top notch guards for this year.
Next year, you still have EC, Terrell, Garrett, Biggie, and Butler.
That's five guys for two or three positions.
We also don't have a swingman, unless you count Reischel.
With Gil gone, there is no real scorer up front, unless Hassan really ups his
offense.
Need = bigs.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I don't see URI graduating one big (Gil) and then bringing in three bigs (Butts, Silva, Aflakpui). They'll need a guard and/or a swingman to replace TJ. I think they'll have more than 3 scholarships open.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Butts is a 6'7" finess player. I don't consider him as a big man.
Next year, you'll have Hare, Watson, Oneykaba and Martin, with Butts
up front.
To me, Martin is the only sure thing among that group.
If this program has aspirations of accomplishing anything, they need
better front court players, to go with the same caliber of guards we have.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Unless Silva and Aflakpui are giving us verbals this week, I can't see backing off of a 4 star player. The reality is both are still visiting other schools and we could be without a fall big man signing (which would stink but the staff has pulled off Spring miracles before). It just seems to me that they're already anticipating more than 3 available scholarships. I don't see why they would schedule Cylla and Poyser's visit at the same time if they thought they could only fit one.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Most of the descriptions I've seen of Butts say he's an under the basket player at this point with the potential to move out to the perimeter with time. I think he'll be a PF as a freshman.