Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Well, that's good to know that only one game is outstanding and it will be a home game.

The Georgetown game is an enigma!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Belated Happy Birthday, ATP!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

tx Rod
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Yes, always great to keep on celebrating, ATP!!!! Best of luck, great health and happiness to you…..
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: RAFTERY…"WITH THE KMA!"

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

What is Hurley's philosophy on his non-conference strength of schedule? Does he believe in playing a tough non-conference schedule in order to test his team and figure out what his team's weaknesses are, so that by the end of the season his team is peaking?

Dayton has traditionally played a somewhat weak non-conference schedule with several buy games at home, and I think that is holding us back.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He told me that he likes a mix of tough teams and lesser ones.
Tough teams to test his team, and the lesser ones to fine tune
his team, before hitting the conference games.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Well, it's only been one year, so I don't think you can really conclude anything yet, but URI's non-con SOS was over 100 points better than UD's last year. 73 for URI vs. 180 for UD.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... _3:col_1=8
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Big Bad Friars checked in at #266 edging ahead of Gardner Webb and Central Arkansas

Got to hand it to Belmont, Savannah State, Middle Tennessee and Northern Iowa for being in the Top 10 Toughest OCC Schedules.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, guess what Big Bad Friars.

They can't get away with an OOC rating like that anymore.

This isn't the old Big East. The new one isn't as good top to bottom, they'll need better OOC games if they want to help their at large bid chances going forward.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH knows what he's doing

He will make us a schedule that will make us dance
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

1 of the cats is out of the bag

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

twisted3829 wrote:1 of the cats is out of the bag

I see what you did there!
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 26m
#URI has new tie-in with the #Wildcats -- #Rams assistant coach Luke Murray was a GA on #Arizona head coach Sean Miller's staff in 2009-10.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I hope this game happens.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Welp so there we go.

Nice to know we've got a chance to turn some heads. Who's partying in Tuscon with me this year??
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

This would be nice. Of course getting tickets to the game might be harder than one would think.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm definitely there if this happens.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Blue Man wrote:Welp so there we go.

Nice to know we've got a chance to turn some heads. Who's partying in Tuscon with me this year??
About 1,000 illegals...lol
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Too funny!

So the Arizona game was the sure thing at this point, but any others are still very much uncertain.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

According to a UNH fan on the America East Board, New Hampshire will play at URI in a guaranteed money game this upcoming season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we beat Zona look out
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OK - a review of what the schedule is thought to be assuming the NIT Season Tip-off is a go is below. Still a lot unknown, especially with regards to the home schedule.

HOME
Providence
New Hampshire

AWAY
Brown
SMU
George Mason
Arizona (NIT)

NEUTRAL (NIT)
TBD (@ Arizona)
TBD (site TBD)
TBD (site TBD)

I had thought URI might be owed a return visit by St Mary's but others contend that that last year's visit to CA was a one shot buy game. @ Georgetown game is still a possibility even though it is less certain than the NIT from what I have seen.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Unless I read it totally wrong, I just went on the Arizona site and they are playing kansas state in the first game of the preseason Nit. The other two teams are Hofstra and New Mexico State. Am I missing something?
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

What a tease! Well if URI does come to Tucson, I'll host the party!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I believe the nit tip off is 4 games
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

neil wrote:Unless I read it totally wrong, I just went on the Arizona site and they are playing kansas state in the first game of the preseason Nit. The other two teams are Hofstra and New Mexico State. Am I missing something?
Don't know where you are seeing that. None of the Arizona pod games and opponents have been announced per my search. Hofstra is not even in the NIT Season Tip-Off per what I have seen. It is playing in the Hall of Fame Classic associated with Mohegan Sun.
twisted3829 wrote:I believe the nit tip off is 4 games
It is four games total. Two games are played at four pod locations. The home pods for 2013 are Arizona, Duke, Alabama, and Rutgers. The Duke pod has been announced with Duke, Norfolk State, East Carolina, and UNC-Asheville. The winner of each pod advances to MSG in NYC for two more games. The non-MSG teams play two more games at three regional sites which are to be determined after the teams are known. URI and the Ryan Center would be a strong possibility for hosting if URI did not advance to MSG from Arizona.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hurley is trying to put the finishing touches on a competitive nonleague schedule with the knowing eye that the overall strength of the Atlantic 10 has taken a hit with the loss of Temple, Xavier and Butler. The Rams are hoping to finalize a spot in the Pre-Season NIT that would mean two games at Arizona, but another power game or two is needed.
http://m.providencejournal.com/projo/db ... ue#display
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BFC wrote:
Hurley is trying to put the finishing touches on a competitive nonleague schedule with the knowing eye that the overall strength of the Atlantic 10 has taken a hit with the loss of Temple, Xavier and Butler. The Rams are hoping to finalize a spot in the Pre-Season NIT that would mean two games at Arizona, but another power game or two is needed.
http://m.providencejournal.com/projo/db ... ue#display

Makes it sound as if the Georgetown game might not be happening given McNamara made no mention of it.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's been very very tentative for some time. Depending on who you ask, it's either not ever going to happen this season or there's still a chance.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I heard a rumor that if URI is in the preseason NIT, and hosts a pod they would be home games, but treated like the postseason NIT, which means wouldn't be part of a season ticket package.

The good news there is that URI might do the same thing it did previous and just have really cheap tickets (like $15 lower bowl rather than $30).

The bad news would be that STH would have to make a separate purchase (not a huge deal, but a minor inconvenience to be sure), and atmosphere might take a hit in a crucial season with the students having to pay for their tickets.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The Athletic Department would probably subsidize student tickets -- or -- an individual would step forward to keep the hype going strong! 8-)
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

EasyEdBrown wrote:I heard a rumor that if URI is in the preseason NIT, and hosts a pod they would be home games, but treated like the postseason NIT, which means wouldn't be part of a season ticket package.

The good news there is that URI might do the same thing it did previous and just have really cheap tickets (like $15 lower bowl rather than $30).
That seems about right, I mean the goal is to make it to NYC, right? So I guess it comes down to what is easier to do: Collect funds when the games are finalized, or pay everyone back if no games are played?

In the end, it is usually cheaper for the season ticket holder as tickers are usually cheaper to become more accessible to the general public.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI would only possibly host NIT Season Tip-off games in the event it did not advance (winning two games) out of its early round pod (which would be at Arizona) to MSG. The teams that do not qualify for MSG will play two additional games at three regional sites that are not determined until the non-MSG participants are known. It is probably because of the uncertainty that tickets would not be part of the season ticket package. I would think organizers will assume the most likely scenario is that the pod hosts would advance to MSG. The expection would be for URI to lose to Arizona and then it would be one of the stronger candidates for hosting a site with three non-MSG teams.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Yeah it seems that if URI does end up hosting a pod, the new online interface with which you now renew your season seats would be the way to buy tickets on short notice for the Preseason NIT. The box office could set up the interface, shoot out an email as soon as it is determined that URI will host a pod, then given season ticket holders the option to buy their seats for the 2 games, before selling them to the general public,
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Geez, I got my online stuff, and created an account on it, but I can't figure out what the hell
it's talking about.
URIGONZO
ARD

Me too Rod, I think it will become easier to use when there are actually tickets to buy. Right now there is nothing to buy so it looks very confusing.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Let them know…………..
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

URIGONZO wrote:Yeah it seems that if URI does end up hosting a pod, the new online interface with which you now renew your season seats would be the way to buy tickets on short notice for the Preseason NIT. The box office could set up the interface, shoot out an email as soon as it is determined that URI will host a pod, then given season ticket holders the option to buy their seats for the 2 games, before selling them to the general public,
You could do that with the Ticketmaster interface too.

I poked around on mine today and it looked different, but easy to renew for sure.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That will be an early season war !!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Being a newbie when it comes to buying tickets for URI BBall games, is there typically something planned by the Athletic Department or Alumni Association? Perhaps some package deal for the two games here in AZ? Or something sponsored the local Alumni chapter?

I was really hoping for URI to come play against ASU, if they ever did come out to AZ. It would have have been a much easier commute as well as much easier to get tickets. ;)

If I do get to go to U of A, watch URI play well, and win a game or two, that isn't such a bad deal by any stretch of the imagination. :)
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

There are always an allotment of tickets to road games that may be purchased from the RC box office. They have done events on the road in the past so I would not be surprised if they had something.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks!!! I appreciate the info!
URIGONZO
ARD

DanAZ, I'm sure that you could email an assistant coach and get a couple of freebies from them, or some un-used student tickets, there won't be more 20 URI fans attending games in Arizona.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Only 2 in Italy.
URIGONZO
ARD

I thought about the Italy trip, but I hate leaving Rhode Island in the summer. I suffer through the winter, and like to enjoy the summer here on the beach. If it were in the spring, or even the winter I would have gone.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If I hit the l;ottery, I'd have gone.
URIGONZO
ARD

The URI sponsored trip for fans was a rip-off. You can do 10 days in Italy for between 3 and 4 grand. You could do it even cheaper if you stay in hostels and don't go out to fancy dinners every night. (But who the hell goes to Italy and doesn't go out for dinner every night).

I'm happy for the players, they are going to have an unbelievable experience over there. Not to mention the relationship/team building that will happen on an extended trip together.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I spent under 3k to go to europe a few years ago and that includes flying marseille to madrid, and madrid to florence

that was for 8 days
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

One summer, way back when, I had the equivalent of 32 bucks in my pocket, a backpack, a sleeping bag, a small pup-tent, and my thumb…..The best/most memorable lift I got was riding shotgun on a beer truck through the Austrian Alps…The driver had a case in the front. Also, a permanent bottle-opener attached to his dashboard!!!!!!!! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: