The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Keaney Blue always has a rocky offseason. It's par for the course. Nothing is ever easy!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
jcru wrote:
TruePoint wrote:This isn't like hiring a new marketing guy. They know who the talented people out there are. They should be ready to make a hire within 24 hours if coach goes.
Absolutely not. Anything less than 2-3 weeks, isn't a real search. Minimum.
There is no need to do a "search." Where are they going to look? They have a list in the top drawer. Start at the top. Presumably they will not have to make more than two calls to fill this job, depending on whether Cox or Oats is first on that list.
How is Oats on a 1-2 list? Oats relationship is to EC/DH/ Bobby. Where is he considered arguably the best option for URI?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KillSteenKill wrote:Are most of you checking this thread for news or chronically searching the web and if so whats sites/sources are you checking?
Twitter will be the first place it breaks.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Just hoping and praying whatever the final decision is we keep some of the recruiting class and current players. Losing both would be devastating. Having our hopes up since last summer to never see them play would be ashamed. But I have a good feeling for some reason.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:There will be one of 2 things that should happen. Either a full search, or Cox gets the job right away, although it couldn't be officially announced for a while due to state hiring practice regulations.

If they do a search, I would hope they don't half-ass it.
Did they half ass it the last time? Sheesh, short memories on some.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
jcru wrote:
Absolutely not. Anything less than 2-3 weeks, isn't a real search. Minimum.
There is no need to do a "search." Where are they going to look? They have a list in the top drawer. Start at the top. Presumably they will not have to make more than two calls to fill this job, depending on whether Cox or Oats is first on that list.
How is Oats on a 1-2 list? Oats relationship is to EC/DH/ Bobby. Where is he considered arguably the best option for URI?
When your looking at whats out there and who you can poach, Oats ranks pretty high. I don't think we could convince Musselman to leave Nevada
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm curious to see who gets the scoop on the Hurley decision. Bill Koch? Jeff Goodman? Adam Zagoria? Jon Rothstein? The field?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote:Just conduct a real search, and let it play out, and cut the nonsense about Cox.

If he measure up favorably to the OTHER dozen applicants looking to make $1.5 Mil at a good job, then he'll get it, if not, NOT
They aren’t paying the next HC $1.5 million. If you think that you are clueless. Dan was paid $1.2 million this past year after five years as our HC,an NCAA birth & win, an A10 Title and FOUR contract negiotations. The next coach will not come in with the credentials Dan had last year or the leverage.

Regarding the length of a search. UCONN and Pitt officially started their search last week and if Dan does leave one of them will finish it today. They ddn’t interview Dan (their lead candidate) until Monday.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
When your looking at whats out there and who you can poach, Oats ranks pretty high. I don't think we could convince Musselman to leave Nevada
It's funny to me that some prefer Oats over Cox (not saying you do) when Oats was an assistant that got promoted to head coach. Yes he's done well, but he's done well because he was given the opportunity to do so.

In my opinion if not Cox it should be a highly experienced coach.
Last edited by Dre3000 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Jay Larranaga?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

sevegny7 wrote:Just hoping and praying whatever the final decision is we keep some of the recruiting class and current players. Losing both would be devastating. Having our hopes up since last summer to never see them play would be ashamed. But I have a good feeling for some reason.
Again, landing 4 star bigs ain't easy for URI. They don't grow on trees, and they don't usually go to A10 schools.

We have the potential to have one of the best frontcourts in program history if they come and are as good as advertised.

That to me is critical in the short term here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:There will be one of 2 things that should happen. Either a full search, or Cox gets the job right away, although it couldn't be officially announced for a while due to state hiring practice regulations.

If they do a search, I would hope they don't half-ass it.
They can take however long they want to announce it, but they need to identify their guy and move - before he starts fielding other offers or gets lured to another job, before recruits and players get restless and start looking around. There is no need to do a three week search. There are only so many basketball coaches, and even fewer with the right level of talent and experience and connections to do this specific job right now. You don't need to be interviewing high school coaches in Missouri and D2 coaches in Iowa. Again, this isn't like hiring at your work.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
jcru wrote:Just conduct a real search, and let it play out, and cut the nonsense about Cox.

If he measure up favorably to the OTHER dozen applicants looking to make $1.5 Mil at a good job, then he'll get it, if not, NOT
They aren’t paying the next HC $1.5 million. If you think that you are clueless. Dan was paid $1.2 million this past year after five years as our HC,an NCAA birth & win, an A10 Title and FOUR contract negiotations. The next coach will not come in with the credentials Dan had last year or the leverage.

Regarding the length of a search. UCONN and Pitt officially started their search last week and if Dan does leave one of them will finish it today. They ddn’t interview Dan (their lead candidate) until Monday.
That is for sure. Unless we are hiring a coach with proven D1 experience and NCAAT at that, I would say about $800K.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Jay Larranaga?
.....is he related to Jim?....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:

True but both schools had communication with Hurley's agent. I think people are saying Thorr should be doing the same right now. Don't wait until there's a vacancy, be prepared to have meetings with candidates right away.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

adam914 wrote:
KillSteenKill wrote:Are most of you checking this thread for news or chronically searching the web and if so whats sites/sources are you checking?
Twitter will be the first place it breaks.
And here .5 seconds later. Good enough for me.

I’m all in with you guys (and gals?)

Group hug.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

800K Seriously? If we are to be a serious program, who are we going to hire that's a proven winner at that level?

Maybe a lower level D1 coach, but that's it.

If it's Cox, he gets what Dan was making this season. If it's a bigger name, then we might even pay more.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

rambone 78 wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:Just hoping and praying whatever the final decision is we keep some of the recruiting class and current players. Losing both would be devastating. Having our hopes up since last summer to never see them play would be ashamed. But I have a good feeling for some reason.
Again, landing 4 star bigs ain't easy for URI. They don't grow on trees, and they don't usually go to A10 schools.

We have the potential to have one of the best frontcourts in program history if they come and are as good as advertised.

That to me is critical in the short term here.
Totally agree, it would be amazing to watch those four for the next four years. And who knows how many Jermaine Harris types we will be in the mix for going forward if this class falls apart. But I will focus on Dan's decision. I am sure plenty of this talk will follow after the announcement.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Face it, any real search typically involves, speculation in the Projo, and other news sources, of who is interested. People applying, sometimes more than 12. If they have as many as 12, URI typically will go through the process of interviewing all 12 of them. It takes a few weeks. Sometimes, people (like Hurley) aren't the first to apply and you don't hear they've thrown their name in the ring until week 2 or 3.

That's the process of a real search.

People who want to hire Cox within 24 hours? Want to do that because they know he isn't very likely to survive that search process.

Why do they even want Cox to begin with? Because they FOOLISHLY believe that he will keep all of the currently players and recruits here. That ain't going to happen. The only way you keep all of the players is if Hurley stays.

This has been proven time and time again. The players come to play for the head coach, Hurley, not for the assistant who recruited them.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:800K Seriously? If we are to be a serious program, who are we going to hire that's a proven winner at that level?

If it's Cox, he gets what Dan was making this season. If it's a bigger name, then we might even pay more.
WHAT? Cox is not a proven winner at all at the D1 level. He is an assistant coach.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:Face it, any real search typically involves, speculation in the Projo, and other news sources, of who is interested. People applying, sometimes more than 12. If they have as many as 12, URI typically will go through the process of interviewing all 12 of them. It takes a few weeks. Sometimes, people (like Hurley) aren't the first to apply and you don't hear they've thrown their name in the ring until week 2 or 3.

People who want to hire Cox within 24 hours? Want to do that because they know he isn't very likely to survive that search process.

Why do they even want Cox to begin with? Because they FOOLISHLY believe that he will keep all of the currently players and recruits here. That ain't going to happen. The only way you keep all of the players is if Hurley stays.

This has been proven time and time again. The players come to play for the head coach, Hurley, not for the assistant who recruited them.

This tells me you have no idea about the situation, or the guys in question.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

rambone 78 wrote:800K Seriously? If we are to be a serious program, who are we going to hire that's a proven winner at that level?

Slow down. Cox never held a head coaching job. You want to pay him in his first year the same as what DH made last year? This board is getting crazy!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Unfortunately, history has shown that is the way it works. They hire Cox, that doesn't necessarily mean Fatts stays or any of the recruits don't bail.

Only Hurley keeps them all.

You hire a big name up and coming, exciting coach, with a proven track record of bringing teams to the NCAA at least once, that is the best bet to stop the bleeding
BleedBlue87
ARD

jcru wrote:Face it, any real search typically involves, speculation in the Projo, and other news sources, of who is interested. People applying, sometimes more than 12. If they have as many as 12, URI typically will go through the process of interviewing all 12 of them. It takes a few weeks. Sometimes, people (like Hurley) aren't the first to apply and you don't hear they've thrown their name in the ring until week 2 or 3.

Where do you even get this from? Are you a former athletic director? A former coach maybe? I'm just not sure where you get this from. I don't believe UCONN or Pitt have interviewed 12 people. Do you think they are not doing a "real search" by trying to nab Hurley? The only thing foolish is your weird belief that you need 2 to 3 weeks to recruit a good coach.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Realistically, if Dan stays with all this momentum we have going for us I think sellouts will become the norm for this program. That’s what he has wanted all along.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Been around more than 3 years, BB87
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe you load his contract with incentives that could bring him to what Dan made....but again, are we now a big time program, or will we be forever known as cheap cheap cheap.......
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I was duped

Twitter is treacherous right now.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Cox is the cheap move, by far. Going after another Hurley is the expensive move.

Again, all moot if they keep Hurley
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Are you guys assuming Dans gone or
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Cox will make what it will take to hire him not a made up number that will make people feel better. That's how an efficient market works. If he'll say yes to $800k, you pay him that.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

section(105) wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Jay Larranaga?
.....is he related to Jim?....
Yes it is Jims son and Brad Steven's assistant with Celtics
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Is theGoodman tweet him?

GO RHODY!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Geesh, I think the plea to "let's focus on Dan not Cox" was like 2 pages ago?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I was duped

Twitter is treacherous right now.

the fake jeff goodman account??

that got me for a couple seconds....cruel
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well if we don't hear by 9, it ain't happening tonight.

So much conflicting stuff out there.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe you load his contract with incentives that could bring him to what Dan made....but again, are we now a big time program, or will we be forever known as cheap cheap cheap.......
Well, if we are a big time program, then Dan doesn't leave because we pay him and his staff rightly. Otherwise, I'm suspect.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Are you guys assuming Dans gone or
No, they are just tired of pizza and ham while we wait; all conjecture on DH decision is nearly wrung out. Conjecture on next coach should DH leave is all that’s left.

I myself would rather more pizza talk.
Last edited by sandman012 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Maybe you load his contract with incentives that could bring him to what Dan made....but again, are we now a big time program, or will we be forever known as cheap cheap cheap.......
Well, if we are a big time program, then Dan doesn't leave because we pay him and his staff rightly. Otherwise, I'm suspect.
If Dan goes somewhere else, it won't be because we didn't pay him "rightly."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Cox would have to be the hire just to hold on to as many players as possible. Maybe with his salary being around 700-800 I would suspect they could grow the assistant coaching pool to help get experiences high major assistants.

Dan please stay!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote:Well if we don't hear by 9, it ain't happening tonight.

So much conflicting stuff out there.
......that is past my bed time.....I will awake, hopefully, and start this all over again tomorrow....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

What about URI, Jeff?!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:
If Dan goes somewhere else, it won't be because we didn't pay him "rightly."
Exactly TP. Bone is on this diatribe that makes me want more Jamesons.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What the hell kind of a tweet is that??
GO RAMS
BleedBlue87
ARD

theblueram wrote:
On the money front, I think we can be fairly competitive. I mean Mark Few at Gonzaga is doing 1.9 mil, Chris Mack is doing 1.6 mil at Xavier, Mike Rhoades is at 1.2 mil. We can compete.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

As this drags out, I'm thinking Dan does not make a decision until both Pitt and Louisville jobs are filled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Cox would have to be the hire just to hold on to as many players as possible. Maybe with his salary being around 700-800 I would suspect they could grow the assistant coaching pool to help get experiences high major assistants.

Dan please stay!
The thing is, if they hired him ONLY because they thought he could hang onto players, that would be Jerry D redux, and it would be bad. But Cox is a viable head coaching hire at this point regardless of all that. That he may have the added advantage of being able to maintain stability in the program by retaining the roster and recruiting class and keeping a lot of the day-to-day operations and approaches consistent with what they've been under Hurley is a bonus. His being able to implement some version of Hurley's program (with his own touches, to be sure) will be a selling point for him with other programs, but in our case it's especially important because it won't need to be installed and it will save the trouble of having the players learn a program. There would also presumably be some holdover of non-player personnel and staff.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

22 pages in less than 24 hours on this thread. Love this
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez Jeff Goodman where is URI???
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well at almost 2 mil a year we are paying more than a few P5 programs are.

It's not the money difference that is the key, it's how far can he realistically go here when it comes to competing for a title?

Dan has big dreams. He wants to fulfill those dreams.

I'm guessing Goodman made a boo boo.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.