Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Becker, Boals, Jones, and Mason would be the 4 that would to me, be the best candidates currently, outside of Archie of course.

Grasso and Skerry are a big NO.

Young is intriguing, but I think Hurley could have some say there, especially since we would be firing his friend and ex head assistant Cox.
There has to be someone else besides Archie that would fire up the base. The guys you mentioned? I may have to take the Baron approach and wait until they make the top 25.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Becker, Boals, Jones, and Mason would be the 4 that would to me, be the best candidates currently, outside of Archie of course.

Young is intriguing, but I think Hurley could have some say there, especially since we would be firing his friend and ex head assistant Cox.
Young getting a head coaching position opens a spot on Hurley's staff for Cox.. yes, maybe, no?? Could be a win for Cox and us in the long run.
That would be an interesting twist.
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

dmac80 wrote: 2 years ago Lurker and huge PC fan who had to post. The crying in here by Rams fans over the 3 missed games that the BE is entirely in control of is much more than sour grapes. It is pathetic. NO ONE complained about missed games last year when Villanova won the BE reg season while they played 5 LESS GAMES than Creighton and won 3 less (11-4 vs 14-6). No one put any asterisks and Villanova apologies to no one for that. You're program is an irrelevant dumpster fire, we have a much richer and longer history over you, even taking in the relative NCAA wins drought PC has suffered since our elite 8 run. We routinely draw over 10,000 fans and sellout our 13k arena for conference games while you struggle to attract 5k to your 7500 seat gym. Even when Hurley was winning you couldn't fill it unless WE came to town. GO AWAY NOW while we continue to compete in the best conference in the country and you;re relegated to a glorified mid major with no media attention or TV coverage.

I'm sure this post will be quickly deleted and I'll be banned but whoever sees this will know it is all true.
Ok..... We Uri fans put a big * right next to villanova from last year. What a bunch of bums they were......
they did not get around to reschedule 2 games against depaul .....( last place )..2 against ..Xavier who finished in 6th place ...and 1 at Connecticut ....and one oc game against 5 and 11 Temple.
combined record of these 3 Big east teams 19 and 26......I can't believe nova got away with it....and somehow this compares to the friars missing out/ducking this years 3rd 4th an fifth place Big east teams ..... But in all fairness I think all of college basketball missed out On this year's uconn at PC game
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago

Young getting a head coaching position opens a spot on Hurley's staff for Cox.. yes, maybe, no?? Could be a win for Cox and us in the long run.
I don’t love it.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Come on dmac you are better than that !!
Objection, facts not in evidence
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That Cryer fan must have been too young to remember us not losing a conference game for 365 days and back to back ncaa wins. Something Big Ed has yet to accomplish. We won a conf tourney and reg season title so it’s nice they now have matched us. They may finally get off the snide this year tho as they should get a very favorable seed.

In fairness IMO Pc is gonna be a tough out for anyone. They have 3-4 role players all performing at a high level. 2 legit end of shot clock guys (Bynum and Durham) and then Watson. If a guy like Reeves gets hot they can run off some March wins. If he goes cold they could also lose to a 14 seed. The madness !!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago
dmac80 wrote: 2 years ago Lurker and huge PC fan who had to post. The crying in here by Rams fans over the 3 missed games that the BE is entirely in control of is much more than sour grapes. It is pathetic. NO ONE complained about missed games last year when Villanova won the BE reg season while they played 5 LESS GAMES than Creighton and won 3 less (11-4 vs 14-6). No one put any asterisks and Villanova apologies to no one for that. You're program is an irrelevant dumpster fire, we have a much richer and longer history over you, even taking in the relative NCAA wins drought PC has suffered since our elite 8 run. We routinely draw over 10,000 fans and sellout our 13k arena for conference games while you struggle to attract 5k to your 7500 seat gym. Even when Hurley was winning you couldn't fill it unless WE came to town. GO AWAY NOW while we continue to compete in the best conference in the country and you;re relegated to a glorified mid major with no media attention or TV coverage.

I'm sure this post will be quickly deleted and I'll be banned but whoever sees this will know it is all true.
Ok..... We Uri fans put a big * right next to villanova from last year. What a bunch of bums they were......
they did not get around to reschedule 2 games against depaul .....( last place )..2 against ..Xavier who finished in 6th place ...and 1 at Connecticut ....and one oc game against 5 and 11 Temple.
combined record of these 3 Big east teams 19 and 26......I can't believe nova got away with it....and somehow this compares to the friars missing out/ducking this years 3rd 4th an fifth place Big east teams ..... But in all fairness I think all of college basketball missed out On this year's uconn at PC game
Did you and Section 105 take the same writing class?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lmao sick life bro.

I didn’t get past “lurker and huge PC fan so I HAD to post”

Aww did you? Did you have to?

I remember when URI won a conference title I didn’t feel the immediate need to go on a rival’s message board to shit talk. I was just happy.

Pretty sad that we own that much real estate in your head.

My God I can only imagine what you must’ve said to your cats when you hoisted that trophy. I’m sure it was a great time.

Edit: I made it through your post because I’ve got a baby sleeping on me and had some time.

“Go away now” is a wild choice of phrasing when you’re coming on a rivals message board to post.

I assure you no one was clamoring for your posts.

I initially thought I’d feel a different emotion - but man I just feel bad for you.

But sick, you really zinged us! I can tell you guys feel really confident in this title and aren’t overly defensive or insecure about if your team is actually good or not.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That Cryer fan must have been too young to remember us not losing a conference game for 365 days and back to back ncaa wins. Something Big Ed has yet to accomplish. We won a conf tourney and reg season title so it’s nice they now have matched us. They may finally get off the snide this year tho as they should get a very favorable seed.

In fairness IMO Pc is gonna be a tough out for anyone. They have 3-4 role players all performing at a high level. 2 legit end of shot clock guys (Bynum and Durham) and then Watson. If a guy like Reeves gets hot they can run off some March wins. If he goes cold they could also lose to a 14 seed. The madness !!!
Agree wouldn’t surprise me if they made it kind of far in the dance , throw in the fact of all the parity this season and it’s who gets hot at the right time
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That Cryer fan must have been too young to remember us not losing a conference game for 365 days and back to back ncaa wins. Something Big Ed has yet to accomplish. We won a conf tourney and reg season title so it’s nice they now have matched us. They may finally get off the snide this year tho as they should get a very favorable seed.

Agree wouldn’t surprise me if they made it kind of far in the dance , throw in the fact of all the parity this season and it’s who gets hot at the right time
I’m not a Friar hater. I’m a college basketball fan in RI who thinks things are better when all the local D1 teams are good. That said, I couldn’t get the feeling out of my head when watching PC vs Villanova and Xavier that they are ripe for a first round upset against a 13 or 14 seed. I don’t see much overall quickness on defense. If they are matched against a team with good guards that can spread them out and shoot, they’ll have their hands full. They could get ball screened to death like Villanova did and, to a lesser extent, Xavier. They had better hope they get matched against teams with traditional lineups like theirs.
I also agree with someone that posted about Reeves. He is the key and the wild card. You don’t know what you’re getting from him from game to game.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

In the Friars defense ( sort of), nobody flies to Omaha not to play.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Some expert picks for all 32 conference tournaments

Consensus pick is the Bonnies for the A10T.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Some expert picks for all 32 conference tournaments

A consensus pick would mean all 4 guys picked St Bonaventure, right? or is it just the team with the most? Bonnies got 2 votes, but Dayton and Davidson also picked.

Of the 32 Conferences 14 have all 4 guys agreeing to the Champ and AQ. Will be interesting to see how that plays out
Murray State
Loyola Chicago
Chattanooga
Towson
South Dakota State
Gonzaga
Colgate
Vermont
Iona
Duke
North Texas
Arizona
New Mexico State
Houston

1 Conference has 4 different teams picked:
  • Big 10: Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa
Conferences have 3 different teams picked to win:
  • Big South: Winthrop (2), Longwood, Gardner-Webb
  • Atlantic Sun: Liberty (2), Jacksonville, Jacksonville State
  • Big 12: Texas Tech (2), Baylor, Kansas
  • Mountain West: SDSU (2), Boise State, Colorado State
  • Big East: Villanova (2), PC, UCONN
  • MAC: Ohio (2), Kent State, Toledo
  • Big West: UC Irvine (2), Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara
  • A10: St Bonaventure (2), Davidson, Dayton
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Wait, pc is the #8 ranked team in the country and almost a double digit underdog to #11 Nova? Just last week pc played Nova AT HOME as the higher ranked team and was again a 4 pt underdog and yet pc is the best team in the BE? What an enormous opportunity for pc to prove they are worthy of their ranking and shut all the naysayers, and there certainly are many of them. I wish we were playing a meaningful game in March.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Wait, pc is the #8 ranked team in the country and almost a double digit underdog to #11 Nova? Just last week pc played Nova AT HOME as the higher ranked team and was again a 4 pt underdog and yet pc is the best team in the BE? What an enormous opportunity for pc to prove they are worthy of their ranking and shut all the naysayers, and there certainly are many of them. I wish we were playing a meaningful game in March.
It wouldn't shock me if Creighton was PC's last win of the year.

They're good and veteran-led, so they should be primed for a run. Just saying it would be hilarious if they lost 3 straight. The computers hate them, relative to their record.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

A consensus pick would mean all 4 guys picked St Bonaventure, right? or is it just the team with the most? Bonnies got 2 votes, but Dayton and Davidson also picked.

Of the 32 Conferences 14 have all 4 guys agreeing to the Champ and AQ. Will be interesting to see how that plays out
Murray State
Loyola Chicago
Chattanooga
Towson
South Dakota State
Gonzaga
Colgate
Vermont
Iona
Duke
North Texas
Arizona
New Mexico State
Houston

Ramster, I think by consensus pick they mean majority, by just scrolling down bottom of the article:
Unanimous would be all.

Consensus picks:
American: Houston (unanimous)
ACC: Duke (unanimous)
America East: Vermont (unanimous)
Atlantic 10: St. Bonaventure
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Murray State
Loyola Chicago
Chattanooga
Towson
South Dakota State
Gonzaga
Colgate
Vermont
Iona
Duke
North Texas
Arizona
New Mexico State
Houston

Ramster, I think by consensus pick they mean majority, by just scrolling down bottom of the article:
Unanimous would be all.

Consensus picks:
American: Houston (unanimous)
ACC: Duke (unanimous)
America East: Vermont (unanimous)
Atlantic 10: St. Bonaventure
Gotcha
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

How is the A-10 a consensus?

I could easily see Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Bonnies, Richmond, St Louis, or even Mason taking a title in DC.

Bonnies as a favorite seems wild to me.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago How is the A-10 a consensus?

I could easily see Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Bonnies, Richmond, St Louis, or even Mason taking a title in DC.

What it means is just 4 guys picked.
2 guys picked St Bonaventure
1 picked Dayton
1 picked Davidson

Consensus doesn’t come to my mind when only / guys picked a team

For sure I would not count VCU out. Richmond, St. Louis and George Mason could surprise too as you said

And Rhody :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah, both Borzello and Gasaway picked the Bonnies.
The Bonnies are hot on a 7-game win streak, but it could be dicey for them with Osun's ankle injury.
They have depth concerns already.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

What it means is just 4 guys picked.
2 guys picked St Bonaventure
1 picked Dayton
1 picked Davidson

Consensus doesn’t come to my mind when only / guys picked a team

For sure I would not count VCU out. Richmond, St. Louis and George Mason could surprise too as you said

And Rhody :D
Ah makes sense. I was thinking it meant all 4 picked.

Still surprising that 2 picked the Bonnies.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big A10 Match Up Tonight St Bonaventure @ VCU 8:30pm CBSSN

Both teams have won 7 straight games - something has to give tonight

VCU Favored by 4.5

VCU last loss was when they lost to Dayton on their own home court by 30. That seems to have awaked the Rams (VCU Rams :roll: )
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The Friars are 15 spots BEHIND US in adjusted defense, and have "just" the 30th best adjusted offensive rating per KenPom. That puts them at #39 overall -- amazing gap between that and their AP rank.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton beats Richmond in the last second 55-53.

Villanova beats PC 76-74.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Dayton beats Richmond in the last second 55-53.

Dayton would be looking so much better if they hadn't lost to La Salle

They have one of the best wins I've seen the A-10 procure in the non-conference and it will probably be all for naught because they inexplicably lost to La Salle, Austin Peay, Lipscomb and UMass Lowell
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Dayton beats Richmond in the last second 55-53.

Dayton would be looking so much better if they hadn't lost to La Salle

They have one of the best wins I've seen the A-10 procure in the non-conference and it will probably be all for naught because they inexplicably lost to La Salle, Austin Peay, Lipscomb and UMass Lowell
Or the other absolute bum teams they somehow lost to as well.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The way VCU is playing they may snag an at large bid , can easily see 2 A-10 teams dancing now
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 2 years ago The way VCU is playing they may snag an at large bid , can easily see 2 A-10 teams dancing now
The Washington Post's bracketologist thinks so, FWIW.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ ... ology-vcu/
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago The Friars are 15 spots BEHIND US in adjusted defense, and have "just" the 30th best adjusted offensive rating per KenPom. That puts them at #39 overall -- amazing gap between that and their AP rank.
Nice the way you spin the numbers but the only one that counts is 24-4.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s not spinning anything. There has been a consistent disparity between PCs record and their metrics. Pretty sure there are 5,274 tweets that can be easily found of Friar fans complaining about this. ATP didn’t make anything up.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago The Friars are 15 spots BEHIND US in adjusted defense, and have "just" the 30th best adjusted offensive rating per KenPom. That puts them at #39 overall -- amazing gap between that and their AP rank.
If Rhody had won an A10 title with less games, I wouldn't apologize about it either, but PC did not win a legitimate Big East regular season title. Same with Villanova last year.

Again, I would be bragging and just as excited winning the A10 and not caring about less games, but it is not a legitimate Big East title, no matter how PC fans try to spin it.
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
If Rhody had won an A10 title with less games, I wouldn't apologize about it either, but PC did not win a legitimate Big East regular season title. Same with Villanova last year.

Again, I would be bragging and just as excited winning the A10 and not caring about less games, but it is not a legitimate Big East title, no matter how PC fans try to spin it.
Who cares all I know is we will be hearing our name called a week from Sunday. That’s all I cate about.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Who cares all I know is we will be hearing our name called a week from Sunday. That’s all I cate about.
As you should! I would feel the same way, and say the same thing.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Hmmm what's more believable - the metrics that have become pretty rock solid in terms of statistical analysis of all teams in college basketball have picked one team to hate on in it's entire history?

Or that PC lucked out by catching good teams without their best players, and also not having to make up 3 very tough games that could've wound up as losses?

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There are statistical outliers and PC could just be that team. But the point was that pointing out the disparity wasn’t spin it’s fact. They could regress to the mean or play into the 2nd weekend (which should be the expectation). Regardless KenPom vs PC is an interesting subplot to follow.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Friars moved up 5 spots to #34 on the back of an efficient offensive performance in the loss.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
woodennickel1
ARD

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Hmmm what's more believable - the metrics that have become pretty rock solid in terms of statistical analysis of all teams in college basketball have picked one team to hate on in it's entire history?

Or that PC lucked out by catching good teams without their best players, and also not having to make up 3 very tough games that could've wound up as losses?
Haters are going to hate nothing you can do about that. PC was without their starting pg last night snd quite possibly going forward. But did not hear a thing about that.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Haters are going to hate nothing you can do about that. PC was without their starting pg last night snd quite possibly going forward. But did not hear a thing about that.
You played a good game and lost, what do you want people to say?

The whole point is you’ve been so fortunate to NOT be in situations like last night. In fact last night was the first time you guys played a good team while they were at full strength and you weren’t. Your whole season has been the opposite
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Durham will be play. Might be hurt, but will play.

The theatrics every time he gets fouled or falls is getting a bit much though.

Guy should get nominated for an Oscar.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

The whole point is you’ve been so fortunate to NOT be in situations like last night. In fact last night was the first time you guys played a good team while they were at full strength and you weren’t. Your whole season has been the opposite
So one game against a good team you were shorthanded. But against Wisconsin and UConn they were down a national POY and one of the best bigs in the country.

Admittedly, I didn't expect you guys to make it a game - so hats off.

Luck tends to balance out though. How many times can a team be 100% healthy while other teams are not? How many times can another team miss a wide open look at the end to win a game? How many times can the schedule break in such a way that allows you and a 4-3 record against winning teams not have to play THREE teams with winning records?

The metrics don't play favorites. Ken Pomeroy isn't sitting up at night twisting his mustache thinking of ways to change his tried and true statistical analysis to screw PC.

The numbers are the numbers. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but the computers don't think you are what your record says you are.

Obviously in reality, you are what your record says. And you've won a lot of games. The real test to see who's right will come over the next 3 weeks.

I think anything short of a Big East final/second weekend for this team is a colossal failure if you really want to prove that you are as good as your record and not what the computers say.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

So one game against a good team you were shorthanded. But against Wisconsin and UConn they were down a national POY and one of the best bigs in the country.

Luck tends to balance out though. How many times can a team be 100% healthy while other teams are not? How many times can another team miss a wide open look at the end to win a game? How many times can the schedule break in such a way that allows you and a 4-3 record against winning teams not have to play THREE teams with winning records?

The metrics don't play favorites. Ken Pomeroy isn't sitting up at night twisting his mustache thinking of ways to change his tried and true statistical analysis to screw PC.

The numbers are the numbers. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but the computers don't think you are what your record says you are.

Obviously in reality, you are what your record says. And you've won a lot of games. The real test to see who's right will come over the next 3 weeks.

I think anything short of a Big East final/second weekend for this team is a colossal failure if you really want to prove that you are as good as your record and not what the computers say.
And the record I care most about - 17-10 ATS. Performance relative to the spread is akin to kenpom - and PC's ranking reflects that. Looking at the 2 teams right behind PC (Memphis and Marquette) - records of 17-9 and 18-10, respectively.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True it will all come down to the Big dance if they don’t make the Sweet 16 would be kind of a let down I think
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jamison Battle, who played the last 2 years at GW before transferring back to his home state had 39 of Minnesota's 73 points in last nights loss at Maryland. 7-16 on 3FGs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

GW beat Duquesne in 3 OTs last night
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

From my neck of the woods, "How The Might Have Fallen" category... No. 14 Houston beat Temple 84-46 tonight. Barring a run in the AAC tournament, and excluding a first four game in 2018-19, this will be six straight years with no NCAA tournament for the Owls.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jamison Battle, who played the last 2 years at GW before transferring back to his home state had 39 of Minnesota's 73 points in last nights loss at Maryland. 7-16 on 3FGs.
Watched that game

Can't believe how good he is
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bonnies beat Richmond 72-65
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Bonnies beat Richmond 72-65
Really good game , is Mooney back @ Richmond if they bow out early in the tournament next week ??