Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody78 wrote: 1 year ago For those of you who are unaware there is a second phase to this facility that already has been designed that include locker rooms, lounges, offices overlooking the court for both mens and womens team additional cost around 20m.
So the whole facility won't be finished for many years to come? I don't think I've seen an update on that 20 million fundraised/donated.

Hopefully these become the permanent locker rooms though, as the current men's room is pretty average with no bells and whistles.
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

i was under the impression the funds raised and the donation/8mil, whatever around there, was covering the lockers, lounge, ect. I guess I missed that part.

suddenly the project just got less impressive.

8 mill ish for some structural work, brings things to code, new floor and some paint/vinyl wraps. doesn't move the needle anymore.
:lol:
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Cost of doing business in Rhode Island. Got to take care of laborers union. Rhode Island is not a right to work state. Therefore, costs will always be higher because of prevailing wage. Look for improvements to happen for the football field and related projects. Don't look for increased funding for programs.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It moves the needle. It exists, period.

If you have been around long enough, ie you are “old”, it’s easy to see how phase 1 was gong to be opening the facility and phase 2 is going to be a major addition/facelift 5-10 years down the line.

We just need to concentrate on winning. Winning greases all of the wheels inside the machine
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago i was under the impression the funds raised and the donation/8mil, whatever around there, was covering the lockers, lounge, ect. I guess I missed that part.

suddenly the project just got less impressive.

8 mill ish for some structural work, brings things to code, new floor and some paint/vinyl wraps. doesn't move the needle anymore.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Was not aware that there’s another major checkpoint to reach.

20 million is a ton for us to come up with.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody78 wrote: 1 year ago For those of you who are unaware there is a second phase to this facility that already has been designed that include locker rooms, lounges, offices overlooking the court for both mens and womens team additional cost around 20m.
Also, I may have missed it, but I don’t believe this has ever been reported in the local media.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Also, I may have missed it, but I don’t believe this has ever been reported in the local media.
So, there are no locker rooms or showers in the new facility??
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

It’s in tootell.
There’s a swimming locker room,
and it’s a 75-yard walk to the RC.
They’ll figure it out.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago It’s in tootell.
There’s a swimming locker room,
and it’s a 75-yard walk to the RC.
They’ll figure it out.
Wow. So much for 1st class! Only in RI.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

So they built a couple of indoor basketball courts? That’s it?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago So they built a couple of indoor basketball courts? That’s it?
I can’t be the only one who’s completely shocked that the only thing built was a gym.

Pretty sure everyone on here was under the impression the 8 million included the locker rooms, lounges, offices, etc.

If we need 20 million for that, it’ll be 2099 before that happens.
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago So they built a couple of indoor basketball courts? That’s it?
I can’t be the only one who’s completely shocked that the only thing built was a gym.

Pretty sure everyone on here was under the impression the 8 million included the locker rooms, lounges, offices, etc.

If we need 20 million for that, it’ll be 2099 before that happens.
100%

I'm floored.

talk about an all time bait and switch.
:lol:
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

WAFJ. What a F…in Joke.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Could/should have put the $$$ into NIL. Lot bigger bang for the buck.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yikes
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I thought DH required an upgrade in existing locker rooms to bring them into todays times? Yes, I also thought the courts were built in addition to those lounges, media room, video room, offices, along with offices for player agents, hair and tattoo studio, ya that kinda stuff…….now 20 million more? Ouch
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

a hair and tattoo studio?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

if you are going to have a hair and tattoo studio in there, might as well make a deal with Mother Earth and sell recreational cannabis products out the back and make some real money. I mean, right now it's for both basketball teams only, how many tattoos do they actually need?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

“I’ve got all the tats I need, but not all the tats I want….”
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It took about 4 years to raise $8m and we have significant inflation; at this rate it will take 10 years to raise $20m and by that time the project will cost $30m! And given today’s reality I would prefer they put that money into NIL. I’m sure players would overlook those missing items for $150k/yr.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t remember reading about it but did assume 8mm got you more than a private multi court gym. Figured there would be some other enhancements attached to it like a players lounge or new film room etc.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, I kept looking at the updates on the facility and thinking, nice…where’s the rest of it?

My neighbor recently went to see UConn and said the basketball building(that’s what he called it) is huge…bigger than their new business school building.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago It took about 4 years to raise $8m and we have significant inflation; at this rate it will take 10 years to raise $20m and by that time the project will cost $30m! And given today’s reality I would prefer they put that money into NIL. I’m sure players would overlook those missing items for $150k/yr.
Seriously.

That's what I was saying about Charles Pride. If they had thrown $50k at him early in the process they probably could have had him.

Instead, the inflation on those NILs is going to go up, too. In about 3 years, $50k is going to look like the ultimate bargain. $50k won't buy you zilch
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That looks awesome. I really hope we hang some NBA jerseys on our wall. Lamar, Cat, Tommy, Terrell, Dowtin. Get it done.
If you had a jersey it should be on the wall; that stuff matters to kids. Moreso than the 1966 NCAA banner.
This a great point...Rhody NBA baller jerseys oughta be hung SOMEWHERE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I don’t remember reading about it but did assume 8mm got you more than a private multi court gym. Figured there would be some other enhancements attached to it like a players lounge or new film room etc.
For $8 Million, I can build you a house on Ocean Road with two basketball courts, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a movie theater. If you want a locker room, I'm sure that can happen. Even an indoor swimming pool if you like.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would say 8 million today, would never get you what we’re getting plus the lounge, window curtain walls ect. But 30 should definitely get you all of that plus a gold toilet. There some cash going elsewhere I’d assume.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

https://liladelman.com/listing/19-castl ... gansett-3/

This place is big enough to have a basketball court on the ground floor. $4.5M. A basketball court is 4,700 sq/ft
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

URI should’ve built the practice facility down the line, like on the state property on the site of the Dutch Inn, ya know grow the interest in casual off campus students……..now that’s just stupid.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI should’ve built the practice facility down the line, like on the state property on the site of the Dutch Inn, ya know grow the interest in casual off campus students……..now that’s just stupid.
105, that house I posted is new construction. 7,100 sq/ft for $4.5M. If you doubled the size of this house it would sit on 2 acres and be 14,200 sq/ft. What we got for $8M is two basketball courts (in a building URI already owned). In Kingston. This house is in Narragansett. SMH.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago My neighbor recently went to see UConn and said the basketball building(that’s what he called it) is huge…bigger than their new business school building.
Certainly not making any excuses here, but UConn does have 4 natty's...and that's just the men's team...
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI should’ve built the practice facility down the line, like on the state property on the site of the Dutch Inn, ya know grow the interest in casual off campus students……..now that’s just stupid.
The roller skating rink is available. Still.
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Holy shit, really? Man, I wonder what'll be settled first - that, the Dutch Inn, or the extension of the Narragansett Bike Path. (Did they finish the library yet?)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The roller rink building is going to be developed into a pickle ball facility, the street talk says.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
(Did they finish the library yet?)
No, but there is a sign in the window that says "Future home of Narr. Library" - not sure what is going on inside...
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The roller rink building is going to be developed into a pickle ball facility, the street talk says.
My wife is a pickle ball hardo now, and as far as I know that is still under debate. But yes it's being talked about. Would be great as a multi-function sports facility really.
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The roller rink building is going to be developed into a pickle ball facility, the street talk says.
My wife is a pickle ball hardo now, and as far as I know that is still under debate. But yes it's being talked about. Would be great as a multi-function sports facility really.
A multi-sport Community Center would make a ton of sense, and kind of keep with the spirit of it being a roller rink in the past. I wasn't aware that the Adventureland folks bought it for $1.3M in 2018, though, per the Narragansett Times. I'm surprised they haven't turned it into something else, but obviously maybe they had some plans until 2020 happened.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My wife and I call them pickle people. LOL.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
They're something...but she loves it, and it keeps her moving...!
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

More power to her! My wife does Manic and she's bonkers about it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

We used to play it in gym class at Chariho, circa 1998 to 2002. It's a fun game! Not as intense or as hard to play as tennis, where you can just blow people away if you have a great serve.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

We used to play it in gym class at Chariho, circa 1998 to 2002. It's a fun game! Not as intense or as hard to play as tennis, where you can just blow people away if you have a great serve.
Saw some doubles on ESPN this weekend (Jack Sock and Anna Lee waters) ...did not look like fun at all the way they were playing...very intense....like pro ping pong
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Saw some doubles on ESPN this weekend (Jack Sock and Anna Lee waters) ...did not look like fun at all the way they were playing...very intense....like pro ping pong
I had never heard of pickleball until the pandemic now it’s going crazy !!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks for posting. This would have been helpful information about 5 pages ago. That is what I'm talking about. Looks great. Hopefully, this is feasible sooner than later.
So football takes the State money and basketball gets to go fund raising. Pipe dream. How long did it take to raise $8M for the practice facility? Now project how long it will take to raise $35M? Still, no talk about upgrading hockey which has the potential to be self-supporting and is played at a high level in RI.
I look forward to a day when you no longer post. It'll be like Good Will Hunting, but instead of me being happy for you, I'll be happy for the rest of us.

Hockey would not be self supporting. I don't know why you're fixated on this idea. I know the internet has passed you by, but when you hear about this thing called a google, you're going to lose what's left of your feeble mind. You can do all kinds of research - on a multitude (it's another way to say "a lot") of topics. Like you could type in "how many D1 hockey programs turn a profit" and if you're capable of a little critical thinking (a reach for you), you could sift through the data and find a handful of D1 hockey programs that inconsistently have turned a profit a time or two since 2012.

Like most college sports, it's a loss-leader. Profit is not the aim of collegiate athletics.

Acting like it's an easy snap of the fingers to just add hockey to a D1 level while ignoring all the associated issues, costs, liabilities, and title IX implications, is wild - but on par for your dim-witted non-sensical musings that we're subjected to on here.

Since you did so well in your life managing people, I'm sure you're sitting on the $3-5M needed to get a D1 hockey program going. I just hope your managing skills did well enough to foot the bill needed for a women's team as well. Nevermind the 36 scholarships that will just appear out of thin air.

For someone with the amount of opinions about how URI spends or gets their money, I sure hope you contribute more than the $8 per week you paid when you attended the school.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Again askin…

Who pays the expenses for our very successful club teams?(that usually drub D3 varsity teams that will play them)

Other then scholarships (which are basically gifts to deserving athletes from the university) and ECAC or Atlantic Hockey league entry fees spell out the differences. Add in even decent attendance at the Boss as currently configured and what’s the combined tab?

Rhody is a hockey hotbed hasn’t changed.

State U not having varsity hockey is a flat out disgrace. Especially when we have successful club teams deserving and ready to make the jump and multiple leagues that want us.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Also IMHO all this hockey talk should be in one of our myriad hockey threads here on the boards.

I firmly believe D1 URI varsity hockey teams could contend for a national championship within 5-10 years of promotion. Both men and women.

Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Again askin…

Who pays the expenses for our very successful club teams?(that usually drub D3 varsity teams that will play them)

Other then scholarships (which are basically gifts to deserving athletes from the university) and ECAC or Atlantic Hockey league entry fees spell out the differences. Add in even decent attendance at the Boss as currently configured and what’s the combined tab?

State U not having varsity hockey is a flat out disgrace. Especially when we have successful club teams deserving and ready to make the jump and multiple leagues that want us.
Who pays the expenses for club sports? The clubs themselves.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Also IMHO all this hockey talk should be in one of our myriad hockey threads here on the boards.

I firmly believe D1 URI varsity hockey teams could contend for a national championship within 5-10 years of promotion. Both men and women.

Go Rhody
Seriously? Come on man. I can see D1 mens and women competing on some decent level in those year spans mentioned, but National Champs? Hard no for me. Then again, that national of ice hockey is light years away. Not really a relevant discussion, ain’t gonna happen anytime soon. Let’s go for a real soccer press box area, not a “press slab….” No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Also IMHO all this hockey talk should be in one of our myriad hockey threads here on the boards.

Go Rhody
Seriously? Come on man. I can see D1 mens and women competing on some decent level in those year spans mentioned, but National Champs? Hard no for me. Then again, that national of ice hockey is light years away. Not really a relevant discussion, ain’t gonna happen anytime soon. Let’s go for a real soccer press box area, not a “press slab….” No?
I chuckled too when I saw the post about competing for a national title within 5 years lolol

Seems like people have unrealistic expectations for more than just basketball!
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, another person that would have a belly laugh would be Nate Leaman.
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Again askin…

Who pays the expenses for club sports? The clubs themselves.
From participating in club sports at URI the past couple of years myself, URI covers some of the costs for clubs sports but only like 15-20%, but there are some like blueram said that the university pays 0% of it