1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man and Rhody15

Where is the box score that shows the +- for Harris?
I’ve looked at Gorhody, ESPN, cbs, nbc, yahoo sports, st joe website.............can’t find this +- number in any box scores. What am I missing?

Not doubting but just want to view all the players +- numbers
Koch tweeted it out.
Found it

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
DJ actually had the highest +/- on our team with +18
Where are you finding these +/- stats?
GoRhody website, schedule, click on Game Book- St.Joes
Thanks 77

I found that some of the past games don’t open.

Is there a tracking of +/- for the season? Or is this stat only for individual games? And only on the URI Gorhody site?
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Good morning!! Time for my two cents in a nice lengthy post to get the board hot and bothered. Promise I will try to sprinkle in a little rainbows and unicorns for the easily offended.

First, not related to the game so you're welcome to skip this rant - I want to say in general... those saying our fanbase is being too hard on the team and/or the coaching staff or just being too negative in what we post. Have you ever been a fan of a team? This is what fans do - we criticize and critique. It doesnt matter the sport nor the team. This whole sports enterprise is ultimately for our (the fans) entertainment. If you aren't being entertained because you dont like something you see, or dont like a player/coach, or youre just aggravated ... YOU VENT! This is what fans do! Stop the whole "true fan" "support the team" nonsense. Imagine we lost to an 0-6 team yesterday and everyone just said, "hey we tried really hard". Thats support?! Enough.

Thoughts on the game yesterday... it was a shitshow. We got bailed out and anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional. 10 games in and we still look like we are playing pick up basketball in the park. There is absolutely zero offensive strategy. It just pure individual play. There is no passing or movement that looks cohesive. I dont even know what to say anymore - its a head scratcher. The only thing I am coming up with is that our coaching staff tells the players - every single one of them - youre allowed to shoot as many 3's as you want, whenever you want, but youre only allowed to miss 4 per game. Maybe? I dont know?

When the players hit their miss quota some tried to drive. That was interesting at times. Saw a lot of these attempted under basket reverse layups. Pretty... when they rarely went in.

I mean even the most loyal Cox fans have to start questioning whats going on with this program. You cant be happy with what youre seeing. I mean how do you not come up with a play down 3 with 8 seconds left?! Fatts runs down the court and chucks a 3... was that really the best that was drawn up!? Keep in mind there was still more than 4 seconds left AFTER he tried to take that shot. Jesus... that is really frightening. Something I saw on twitter yesterday after the game that I found to be interesting... Fatts might have saved Cox job by making 3 consecutive free throws. Think about it.

To add positives for the soft readers...

Rebounding was better. With the exception of the one rebound late in the game where we wrestled it away from our own player and it ultimately went out of bounds. That was a fun moment. Anyway - Mitchell looked pretty decent in that department. He's timing the ball well. Still think he needs to soften his touch.

Couple points regarding Fatts: I think he and Bishop played each other pretty tight. I believe they are old HS teammates. Fatts continues however to march to the beat of his own drum and does whatever he wants without consequence. Obviously an impressive clutch performance at the end of the game regardless if it shouldn't have come down to OT - cant deny that.

I have noticed that the only two players I see that have any sort of chemistry seems to be Fatts and Walker - dont know what it means just an observation. Walker seems to expect Fatts' kick outs and erratic inside passes better than most.

I thought Martin actually contributed this game. He was hustling out there and made some plays.

One thing it seems Cox and staff are doing well is REALLY emphasizing the need for players to help their fellow teammates up off the ground. The most hustle you see in a game is when a guy runs to help a fallen player up. This must be practiced often.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Where are you finding these +/- stats?
GoRhody website, schedule, click on Game Book- St.Joes
Thanks 77

I found that some of the past games don’t open.

Is there a tracking of +/- for the season? Or is this stat only for individual games? And only on the URI Gorhody site?
That is the only place I found it, after much searching also.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good post BlackDog. In terms of play calling and offensive sets, the one strategy I see being attempted is the high-low action between bigs. I think its usually against a zone, but I've seen Walker or Mitchell throw over the top to Harris or Mitchell in the paint for an easy lay up,, but then it disappears. I think other plays are someone implemented in the game, but its either terribly run, or the team just stops all together and are forced to go 1 on 1. Thats inefficient coaching in my eyes.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Harris was a -14 today.
Ouch!
Blue Man,
Where do you see the + - for all of the players?
Various stat sites track them, sometimes you have to subscribe for the live ones. I just let the fantastic Bill Koch grab them:

If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Why was Walker out for so long the second half? I didn’t see anything too egregious to sit him, but I defer to the experts here...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Why was Walker out for so long the second half? I didn’t see anything too egregious to sit him, but I defer to the experts here...
I also question that. He has been arguably our most consistent player game to game. He is a good passer from high post and our best rebounder. Makhel played well but def struggled with Funk and their 5 out style defensively so Twan would have seemingly made for an excellent small ball center at times.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Why was Walker out for so long the second half? I didn’t see anything too egregious to sit him, but I defer to the experts here...
I also question that. He has been arguably our most consistent player game to game. He is a good passer from high post and our best rebounder. Makhel played well but def struggled with Funk and their 5 out style defensively so Twan would have seemingly made for an excellent small ball center at times.
Makhel had a really good game yesterday offensively. But defensively, he didn’t seem to get the memo that Funk is dead eye shooter. Always has been! He’d close on him with low hands or no hands at times. Which is a no no. A smaller lineup, featuring Antwan at the 5 would’ve made more sense to guard Funk. Thankfully someone on the bench figured it out in enough time to get the win.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Good morning!! Time for my two cents in a nice lengthy post to get the board hot and bothered. Promise I will try to sprinkle in a little rainbows and unicorns for the easily offended.

First, not related to the game so you're welcome to skip this rant - I want to say in general... those saying our fanbase is being too hard on the team and/or the coaching staff or just being too negative in what we post. Have you ever been a fan of a team? This is what fans do - we criticize and critique. It doesnt matter the sport nor the team. This whole sports enterprise is ultimately for our (the fans) entertainment. If you aren't being entertained because you dont like something you see, or dont like a player/coach, or youre just aggravated ... YOU VENT! This is what fans do! Stop the whole "true fan" "support the team" nonsense. Imagine we lost to an 0-6 team yesterday and everyone just said, "hey we tried really hard". Thats support?! Enough.

Thoughts on the game yesterday... it was a shitshow. We got bailed out and anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional. 10 games in and we still look like we are playing pick up basketball in the park. There is absolutely zero offensive strategy. It just pure individual play. There is no passing or movement that looks cohesive. I dont even know what to say anymore - its a head scratcher. The only thing I am coming up with is that our coaching staff tells the players - every single one of them - youre allowed to shoot as many 3's as you want, whenever you want, but youre only allowed to miss 4 per game. Maybe? I dont know?

When the players hit their miss quota some tried to drive. That was interesting at times. Saw a lot of these attempted under basket reverse layups. Pretty... when they rarely went in.

I mean even the most loyal Cox fans have to start questioning whats going on with this program. You cant be happy with what youre seeing. I mean how do you not come up with a play down 3 with 8 seconds left?! Fatts runs down the court and chucks a 3... was that really the best that was drawn up!? Keep in mind there was still more than 4 seconds left AFTER he tried to take that shot. Jesus... that is really frightening. Something I saw on twitter yesterday after the game that I found to be interesting... Fatts might have saved Cox job by making 3 consecutive free throws. Think about it.

To add positives for the soft readers...

Rebounding was better. With the exception of the one rebound late in the game where we wrestled it away from our own player and it ultimately went out of bounds. That was a fun moment. Anyway - Mitchell looked pretty decent in that department. He's timing the ball well. Still think he needs to soften his touch.

Couple points regarding Fatts: I think he and Bishop played each other pretty tight. I believe they are old HS teammates. Fatts continues however to march to the beat of his own drum and does whatever he wants without consequence. Obviously an impressive clutch performance at the end of the game regardless if it shouldn't have come down to OT - cant deny that.

I have noticed that the only two players I see that have any sort of chemistry seems to be Fatts and Walker - dont know what it means just an observation. Walker seems to expect Fatts' kick outs and erratic inside passes better than most.

I thought Martin actually contributed this game. He was hustling out there and made some plays.

One thing it seems Cox and staff are doing well is REALLY emphasizing the need for players to help their fellow teammates up off the ground. The most hustle you see in a game is when a guy runs to help a fallen player up. This must be practiced often.
*applauds*

Pretty much I just quoted this so it would be posted a second times. Nail on the head the whole way through.

My two cents:

For the tweet about Fatts saving Cox's job with 3 free throws; I think we all know Cox is here at least one more year no matter what happens. Tom Ryan is the only guy who cares enough and has the funds to buy out contracts. He's probably still salty about us not getting Pitino so he may not offer a buy out until we "learn our lesson" aka learn enough to listen to the guy writing the checks when he says he wants to bring in someone big like Slick Rick.

Hopefully we just figure it out and we don't need to have those conversations.

Honestly, if anything saved Rhody it was the refs. That was the softest call I've ever seen. NBA guys don't get that. Fatts wasn't going to the basket, was barely looking to shoot, was out of control...that's a complete and total bail out. My buddy texted me with a great point - where were these type of calls against Oregon in the second round? Why do we only get the breaks when it doesn't really matter?

The bigger problem is that everyone knew what was going to happen in that scenario. Down 3, 10 seconds left - call a play? Get a high percentage shooter a look? NOPE. Fatts dribble with your head down and huck OR Fatts dribble in control up the court, hold the ball at the top of the key, step left and take an off-balance NBA 3 pointer.

Thankfully, we did get bailed out, Fatts hit 3 clutch shots and then the team played OT like it should've played the whole game. Wins are wins. Hopefully this is the start of some winning ways and not indicative of how we're going to play.

Unforced TO's and a non-existent offense are enough to (barely) beat a winless team without their best 2 players, but it probably won't work against 70% of the A-10.

Mitchell is really coming into his own. He's going to be a star here. I really am starting to believe this program is cursed because losing Khi is so much bigger than it feels like everyone realized. It wasn't EC-esque, but it's damn close. He was the "better" of the twins, and you have to think the rest of WKU and Davidson (aka our season so far) would've gone completely different with him in the lineup.

Still don't understand why Leggett is getting buried on the bench. For a coach who is so free with the leash on players, why is the cornerstone of your future only playing 12 minutes? He makes so many good things happen, has a very high BBIQ, and yes he makes mistakes like a true freshman will make - but he has definitely earned more PT on both ends of the floor. Certainly more than Carey's 23 minutes. Sheppard hit a good shot but 1-5 from 3, 2-8 from the floor doesn't mean he should be out there 28 minutes - that's time that could've gone to Ish.

Walker sat way too much in the second half. 4-4, 6 rebounds, 1 block, 1 foul, 1 TO. And keep in mind only 2 players out of 10 had zero turnovers. Jermaine Harris was a MINUS 14 and he only played 1 minute less than Walker. I would love if anyone would ask Cox these questions.

We won a game we deserved to lose, so hopefully these guys feel like they can go win more games.

Regardless, at this point, nothing matters until Brooklyn. Hopefully we just play better than we did today and steal the next one.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Do you think the next coach will have special powers to make layups for his players? We should hope so!!
Ah yes, the Jim Baron, "I told my guys to make the buckets but they didn't listen to me" defense. Always a classic
Cox isn’t saying that I am. I’d give any coach the same benefit of the doubt for a team with 8 new faces. People here somehow thought Cox would make a 75% new roster gel with no offseason? I’ve said it before, those folks are all living in a fantasy land
I'm convinced this is Jim Baron
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bad game all around. Casts more doubt on the coaching staff.

ramster - did you really triple your bet on Rhody???
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting to read the St Joseph's Game Day Thread to get their views.
Some think they should have fouled in the backcourt with 4 seconds left to send URI to the line to shoot 2
Some think it was a bad call by the ref - that there was no foul
Some think it was a bad call by the ref in that Fatts was not shooting - he attempted to shoot after he was fouled so it should not have been 3 shots
Some think they screwed up by fouling when Fatts was running full speed and would not have been able to get off a good 3 point attempt
Most think they blew it with their poor 54% FT Shooting
All think they gave away the game

https://247sports.com/college/saint-jos ... 48/?page=6
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Good morning!! Time for my two cents in a nice lengthy post to get the board hot and bothered. Promise I will try to sprinkle in a little rainbows and unicorns for the easily offended.

*applauds*
Mitchell is really coming into his own. He's going to be a star here. I really am starting to believe this program is cursed because losing Khi is so much bigger than it feels like everyone realized. It wasn't EC-esque, but it's damn close. He was the "better" of the twins, and you have to think the rest of WKU and Davidson (aka our season so far) would've gone completely different with him in the lineup.
After 2 games David Cox put Makhel into the starting lineup in place of Mahki. Makhel has been starting since Game 3 and steadily improving, especially noteworthy is his reduction of personal fouls.

Makhi was ranked higher than Makhel but Makhel has played better.

Agree completely that losing Makhi was a very substantial loss for this season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just took a peek at career FT %. Fatts is 10th all time, pretty damn good.

Jimmy Baron 90.4
Cat Mobley 82.1
Jim Cymbala 82.0
Bill Von Weyhe 80.8
John Fultz 80.7
Silk Owens 80.6
Tom Harrington 80.4
Larry Johnson 80.3
Dinno Daniels 80.0
Fatts Russell 79.9
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The random timeouts Cox calls after we make a basket have no rhyme or reason and doesn’t benefit us really at all.

Granted we got lucky with the bail out at the end, but that situation is exactly why you save timeouts for the last couple minutes.

It drive me crazy with the ridiculous times he calls them to stop our momentum and give us no chance to set up late game plays or when we are trapped/can’t get the ball in.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Ah yes, the Jim Baron, "I told my guys to make the buckets but they didn't listen to me" defense. Always a classic
Cox isn’t saying that I am. I’d give any coach the same benefit of the doubt for a team with 8 new faces. People here somehow thought Cox would make a 75% new roster gel with no offseason? I’ve said it before, those folks are all living in a fantasy land
You are jumping the gun. I guess you also think Cox isn't a better recruiter.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Also, with his 8 assists, Fatts passed Jiggy Williamson for 8th place all-time on that list. And with his 5 steals he passed Tommy Garrick for 3rd place all time on that list. For you youngsters, those are some huge names.
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

Fatts will end his career with 230+ steals and top 20 A10 all time. Amazing that Rhody didn’t have anyone in the top 50 currently.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago The random timeouts Cox calls after we make a basket have no rhyme or reason and doesn’t benefit us really at all.

Granted we got lucky with the bail out at the end, but that situation is exactly why you save timeouts for the last couple minutes.

It drive me crazy with the ridiculous times he calls them to stop our momentum and give us no chance to set up last game plays or when we are trapped/can’t get the ball in.
Absolutely! We were on a run yesterday - Joes misses - we grab the rebound - come down the court and score... and he calls a time out!

I shit you not I walked away from the TV thinking that Joes called the time out to stop our momentum and as I was walking away I heard the announcers say, "timeout Rhode Island". Such a weird weird call.
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

Fatts “Hail Mary” 3 wasn’t just an accident if you look at Billy Lange after the made free throw he is telling his team to foul the ball handler. They wanted to pressure the ball and foul around half court with under 5 seconds. Obv didn’t want to foul Fatts shooting but he was too fast for plan A and Fatts knew the plan was to foul so he was waiting for first contact rather than creating a good shot. That being said it was fortuitous but not as desperate as people would think.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts “Hail Mary” 3 wasn’t just an accident if you look at Billy Lange after the made free throw he is telling his team to foul the ball handler. They wanted to pressure the ball and foul around half court with under 5 seconds. Obv didn’t want to foul Fatts shooting but he was too fast for plan A and Fatts knew the plan was to foul so he was waiting for first contact rather than creating a good shot. That being said it was fortuitous but not as desperate as people would think.
The play was clearly to get Fatts on the line. There is no one on the team better At drawing contact.

Don’t be jaded by the clear agenda being pushed.

And I agree, we looked, and played like crap and were coached very questionably, but we got the desired end state.

St. Joe’s is better than LaSalle. LaSalle beat Dayton. Explain that one...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts “Hail Mary” 3 wasn’t just an accident if you look at Billy Lange after the made free throw he is telling his team to foul the ball handler. They wanted to pressure the ball and foul around half court with under 5 seconds. Obv didn’t want to foul Fatts shooting but he was too fast for plan A and Fatts knew the plan was to foul so he was waiting for first contact rather than creating a good shot. That being said it was fortuitous but not as desperate as people would think.
The play was clearly to get Fatts on the line. There is no one on the team better At drawing contact.

Don’t be jaded by the clear agenda being pushed.

And I agree, we looked, and played like crap and were coached very questionably, but we got the desired end state.

St. Joe’s is better than LaSalle. LaSalle beat Dayton. Explain that one...
This year nobody should be shocked at any conference upsets,
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Huh? I'm saying Kingston Lane is Jim Baron because of the we need to make layups comment.... I'm joking
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huh? I'm saying Kingston Lane is Jim Baron because of the we need to make layups comment.... I'm joking
I know, my bad. Just a general response to many posters already making Dave Cox comparison's to JB.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago In the history of the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team there are only two people I want on the line to shoot 3 free throws with 4 seconds left on the clock when we are down by three......
Makhel and Cyril. What do I win? 😃
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I know, my bad. Just a general response to many posters already making Dave Cox comparison's to JB.
I brought up Jim Baron in a previous post because I read that expecting a bid or championship every few years is unrealistic. That is the type of low expectations we had under Baron. I'm not comparing Cox and Baron's resume. Cox is in his 3rd year, so that wouldn't be fair. As for Cox's recruiting, I think we all know he is a fantastic recruiter. The jury is still out on if he can be a successful head coach.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago In the history of the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team there are only two people I want on the line to shoot 3 free throws with 4 seconds left on the clock when we are down by three......
I want the Greek...he was awesome!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Two other things worth noting last night that I give credit to DC for...guys dove on the floor for loose balls, something that was a glaring miss on a few occasions this year. I am sure staff harped on that as we had that situation against Western Kentucky where if we got a tie up on the floor we would have had possession and the last shot of the game.

Also on the opening tip of OT Makhel knew he would win it vs Funk and tapped directly to Carey who went in for a layup. I have to assume that was by design, as it seemed to be, and scoring first in OT is huge.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts and.... Silk?
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man and Rhody15

Where is the box score that shows the +- for Harris?
I’ve looked at Gorhody, ESPN, cbs, nbc, yahoo sports, st joe website.............can’t find this +- number in any box scores. What am I missing?

Not doubting but just want to view all the players +- numbers
Koch tweeted it out.
Found it

Was wondering the same thing. One of my favorite stats and wanted to know where everyone waa getting this info.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Two other things worth noting last night that I give credit to DC for...guys dove on the floor for loose balls, something that was a glaring miss on a few occasions this year. I am sure staff harped on that as we had that situation against Western Kentucky where if we got a tie up on the floor we would have had possession and the last shot of the game.

Also on the opening tip of OT Makhel knew he would win it vs Funk and tapped directly to Carey who went in for a layup. I have to assume that was by design, as it seemed to be, and scoring first in OT is huge.
I agree - the effort and hustle were there last night which is on the coaching staff. I am not sure what most posters on this team are looking for in terms of offensive sets, I think they expect to see a Princeton style offense or more offensive sets. We play a similar offensive style to at least half of college teams, including some really good ones. The difference between teams are talent, execution (which comes from playing together) and effort. We are deeper and more talented than we have been in years, at least since Hassan and Iverson graduated. Give it time, grind out wins and we will get there.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Tell that to this guy

Northern Illinois just fired basketball coach Mark Montgomery. He'd had a long run there; was just 1-7 this season.
12:12 PM · Jan 3, 2021
Fire Cox, hire Blue Ram.

We’ll go into a COVID pause within 17 minutes of his hiring because it’s “just like the flu” and won’t play another game for the rest of the season.
Money is not good enough. With no fans and the way things are, Cox will make about 300k this year.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Two other things worth noting last night that I give credit to DC for...guys dove on the floor for loose balls, something that was a glaring miss on a few occasions this year. I am sure staff harped on that as we had that situation against Western Kentucky where if we got a tie up on the floor we would have had possession and the last shot of the game.

I agree - the effort and hustle were there last night which is on the coaching staff. I am not sure what most posters on this team are looking for in terms of offensive sets, I think they expect to see a Princeton style offense or more offensive sets. We play a similar offensive style to at least half of college teams, including some really good ones. The difference between teams are talent, execution (which comes from playing together) and effort. We are deeper and more talented than we have been in years, at least since Hassan and Iverson graduated. Give it time, grind out wins and we will get there.
SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!!! Great post!

Watch Teams like Alabama, Kentucky, or damn near any team in the SEC...they don’t run any specific sets, they all out-athlete teams.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago I mean even the most loyal Cox fans have to start questioning whats going on with this program. You cant be happy with what youre seeing. I mean how do you not come up with a play down 3 with 8 seconds left?! Fatts runs down the court and chucks a 3... was that really the best that was drawn up!? Keep in mind there was still more than 4 seconds left AFTER he tried to take that shot. Jesus... that is really frightening. Something I saw on twitter yesterday after the game that I found to be interesting... Fatts might have saved Cox job by making 3 consecutive free throws. Think about it.
It seemed obvious to me - although the announcer didn’t seem to understand it and I guess it wasn’t obvious to you - that Fatts threw the ball up *because* he anticipated the contact and was trying to get to the line to tie the game up for free. It was a brilliant play that didn’t get the appreciation it deserved on the broadcast because somehow the professional (?) announcer didn’t understand what he saw. But it’s not like that was the shot he was going to take and he just happened to get fouled. So I don’t know what they had drawn up for a play, because as you mentioned there was still time left. I am 100% sure there was some action in the works, maybe it was a simple as getting guys to certain spots to take the kick if Fatts was denied a clean look.

FWIW, I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said. Until they Houdini’d their way out of that loss, I was drafting my “I’m not so sure about this coach/team/program at the moment and I’m not sure how you can be, either” post for after the game. I’m happy they found a way, and the rage that drives posts like that was obviously lessened by us walking away with the win. But the underlying concern is still there, at least for me.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago I mean even the most loyal Cox fans have to start questioning whats going on with this program. You cant be happy with what youre seeing. I mean how do you not come up with a play down 3 with 8 seconds left?! Fatts runs down the court and chucks a 3... was that really the best that was drawn up!? Keep in mind there was still more than 4 seconds left AFTER he tried to take that shot. Jesus... that is really frightening. Something I saw on twitter yesterday after the game that I found to be interesting... Fatts might have saved Cox job by making 3 consecutive free throws. Think about it.
It seemed obvious to me - although the announcer didn’t seem to understand it and I guess it wasn’t obvious to you - that Fatts threw the ball up *because* he anticipated the contact and was trying to get to the line to tie the game up for free. It was a brilliant play that didn’t get the appreciation it deserved on the broadcast because somehow the professional (?) announcer didn’t understand what he saw. But it’s not like that was the shot he was going to take and he just happened to get fouled. So I don’t know what they had drawn up for a play, because as you mentioned there was still time left. I am 100% sure there was some action in the works, maybe it was a simple as getting guys to certain spots to take the kick if Fatts was denied a clean look.

FWIW, I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said. Until they Houdini’d their way out of that loss, I was drafting my “I’m not so sure about this coach/team/program at the moment and I’m not sure how you can be, either” post for after the game. I’m happy they found a way, and the rage that drives posts like that was obviously lessened by us walking away with the win. But the underlying concern is still there, at least for me.
It was painfully obvious.

...and we lived to fight another day.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We didn't out athlete St Jokes. We were given a gift foul call, 3 made free throws and won in overtime.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago We didn't out athlete St Jokes. We were given a gift foul call, 3 made free throws and won in overtime.
No shit. Want a prize?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago We didn't out athlete St Jokes. We were given a gift foul call, 3 made free throws and won in overtime.
No shit. Want a prize?
No I don't want a prize. I want a basketball team at my school that resembles a top 25 team. That's all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
No shit. Want a prize?
No I don't want a prize. I want a basketball team at my school that resembles a top 25 team. That's all.
5A94BD3B-FA8C-4CB8-B4BC-4F1B4B4B305B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

After watching a replay of this game, I have some second thoughts.

• Once in the half court, the zone defense has the Rams stymied and we have shown no creative approaches to negate it. Teams are daring us to take the trey and we took the bait often with three attempts early in the shot clock. We should also never put up 25 attempts.
• Jeremy Sheppard had a bad game and I feel when he is on game, the Rams do well. Jeremy is the key to this team gaining flow and consistency.
• The Hawks made strong starts in each of their games (ex Tennessee) and their start vs. URI saw a very strong performance by Cameron Brown and Funk. They had all star games which more than made up for the absence of Daly and Foster. Likely not to happen when we meet in Philly.
• URI offense did have some great moves to the basket. There just wasn't enough examples of that. Also impressive was their scrambling for the ball.
• Something happened to URI in the last five minutes of each half. On the brink of blowing this game open, they retrogressed and lost the lead. Coaching?
• Fatts was awesome. He is a poor 3 point shooter, but he brings so much more to game beyond scoring and shooting threes and he has to be evaluated on that basis. I'm OK with him taking a few threes, more if he senses he's hot.

This game was one where all the bad circumstances came together. Let's hope it was an aberration that all teams encounter from time to time.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago After watching a replay of this game, I have some second thoughts.

• Once in the half court, the zone defense has the Rams stymied and we have shown no creative approaches to negate it. Teams are daring us to take the trey and we took the bait often with three attempts early in the shot clock. We should also never put up 25 attempts.
• Jeremy Sheppard had a bad game and I feel when he is on game, the Rams do well. Jeremy is the key to this team gaining flow and consistency.
• The Hawks made strong starts in each of their games (ex Tennessee) and their start vs. URI saw a very strong performance by Cameron Brown and Funk. They had all star games which more than made up for the absence of Daly and Foster. Likely not to happen when we meet in Philly.
• URI offense did have some great moves to the basket. There just wasn't enough examples of that. Also impressive was their scrambling for the ball.
• Something happened to URI in the last five minutes of each half. On the brink of blowing this game open, they retrogressed and lost the lead. Coaching?
• Fatts was awesome. He is a poor 3 point shooter, but he brings so much more to game beyond scoring and shooting threes and he has to be evaluated on that basis. I'm OK with him taking a few threes, more if he senses he's hot.

This game was one where all the bad circumstances came together. Let's hope it was an aberration that all teams encounter from time to time.
Good Take
We missed so many open looks I lost count, in addition to blown opportunities under the basket. If we tightened up our defense and hit some shots, it would of been a different story. Hopefully they move on from this.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

In a way I disagree, Fatts got that “shot” off before being fouled in the backcourt because he was the fastest player on the court. OT we took advantage of Makhel off the tip to Jalen.

We didn’t run them out of the gym the way we should, but we beat them despite playing sloppy. Need to clean it up for sure, I am not content with where we are right now, but I still think it will come together when the guys play together more in actual games. Nothing beats real competition, if they can keep grinding out wins, get some confidence we got a shot.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago After watching a replay of this game, I have some second thoughts.

Agree that Sheppard is a key. We need him on game to beat Richmond, Dayton, VCU, SLU, etc.
We have 3 players shooting over 40% on 3Ps. They are keys to breaking zones. Leggett 43%, Johnson 42% and Sheppard 41%.. They were excellent 3P shooters before coming to URI so their shooting is no fluke. After those 3 there is a big drop off.
I believe Betrand can be included with those 3 players if he gets more 3P attempts. He has a nice release. All of these players have nice releases and when they miss it’s not by much. Announcers have commented on the sweetness of DJ Johnsons release.

The others on the team are shooting low percentages and their misses are often pretty ugly.

Good, crisp, frequent Passing and unselfishness are the Keys to unleashing the talents of these guys. They can shoot - better than our teams of the past few years. We need to get them open shots.

Leggett has a high FG% too. He must get more playing time. He is too good to be playing so few minutes per game.

Rebounding has improved greatly the past few games. This was a big concern earlier in the season.

Need the shots coming more from the high percentage shooters if we are to finish top 4 in A10 and have a chance at an NCAA berth.

Rocket Surgery this is not.
ABEFB67E-B5EC-42A8-BC57-76E3EDF401AE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I know I am very much in the minority but IMO Carey has tons of potential and I am ok with his minutes. I like his game; mid range and drives. Didn't he make the short jumper to get us within range in the next to last possession? Think it was him.

We really need to start valuing the ball. We play like turnovers are not a big deal. I know this is no revelation but to me it's the most important thing they need to improve. Can't score if you don't take a shot.

Fatts just needs to be Fatts; for better or worse. That's going to include inefficiency from three point range. He needs to shoot them to keep defenders honest. He's a scorer by nature and I hope his finish last night triggers a surge in production.

We were gifted that win but it counts the same so I for one am hopeful we can get better from here.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yup

Turnovers are killing us. We lose the ball from dribbling into traffic, throwing horrible passes and not making good, frequent passes.

We are 2nd last in A10 in the all important Assist to Turnover Ratio - ahead of only Fordham who has played only two games to date.

Richmond is 2nd best in the A10
F0182E5C-F6E0-4955-B772-2789240D4934.jpeg
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Fatts and.... Silk?
huh?

can't imagine he means any one but jimmy...
silk lost a game at mass from the line iirc, but he's still one of the greatest of the greats...
but jimmy is the greatest shooter of all time in Rhody history
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Not much with those choices ;)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No shit. Want a prize?
Why the anger, bud?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago After watching a replay of this game
Did someone make you, or did you lose a bet?