PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by ramster »

More on Rhody the Ram injury

December 2, 2006 - Rhody the Ram was assaulted by a fan at the Dunkin Donuts center during halftime of the annual URI-Providence College game, a fierce in-state rivalry. The assailant was never found, but Comedy Central talk show host Stephen Colbert has claimed responsibility for the attack.Fact|date=December 2007 The Ram was taken to the hospital for minor injuries, making this another incident in the long and sometimes ugly rivalry between the two teams. [ [http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo ... 63237.html Rhode Island news | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal ] ]

https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/4479695
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Info from the OC URI game in 2006
RF1 has a detailed write up of the numerous issues from that game including the Rhody the Ram injury.

https://www.basketballforum.com/threads ... ed.322063/
Sure and I believe I haven't mixed up incidents that I heard from multiple people that the story with the Ram was largely fictionalized, although I remember no details of those conversations which is why I owned it could be wrong up-front. The direct quote was "they still hold animosity towards the mascot incident (thought was proven false but I could be wrong)." Sure, it happened. Fine. Next ...
Since you obviously didn’t read the article - it was a disaster at PC beyond the Mascot....I’ll paste it for you

MascotGate

The Rams were literally beaten on and off the court last Saturday.

It is true, the Rhody Ram was assaulted by a fan last Saturday during Rhode Island's visit to the Dunkin Donuts Center (DDC) to play intrastate rival Providence College. The Ram mascot needed to use the restroom and apparently did not know of non-public restrooms in the facility since he was a visitor. He went on his own to the concourse area and used a public men's room. He was attacked coming out of the restroom by an unidentified person of college age. The Ram costume was severely damaged. The URI student that was the mascot was injured. An incident report was filed with DDC security but the student refused care at the time. He did not return for the 2nd half and left the facility. He later went on his own to a hospital emergency room and was diagnosed with bruised ribs.

There were several incidents that occurred at the game which have made news in RI this week. The PC Friar mascot has already publicly apolgized for his actions. He went out onto the court during the URI cheerleaders routine where they were in various groupings in pyramid form. The Friar went in between the cheerleader groupings ringing a cowbell trying to distract them. Fortunately he did not distract them enough that any of them fell to the floor and injured themselves.

Another issue relates to PC's game production. Providence College now has a roaming emcee going around the building doing live interviews during breaks in action which are televised on the new video screen scoreboard that was just installed this season. This emcee was a bit snide and purposely goaded some of his subjects into making derogatory comments about URI which did not sit well with the URI President and alumni in attendance. This ordinarily would not be a problem as most PC home games do not have a significant number of opponent fans. That however was not the case this past Saturday.

Another point of contention is a sheet that was printed up for PC students with items to shout at URI players. It may be that these sheets were not entirely the creation of the students. The sports radio station that airs PC Friar games is reporting that someone on the staff of Providence College may have created the list of slogans to shout, made the copies, and distributed them to the student seating area prior to opening of the arena to the general public.

The incident where the Ram was assaulted is seen as a rogue act by someone. The URI President however did not like the fact that many of the other things that happened appeared to have been a concerted effort orchestrated by Providence College and its representatives. He is on record acknowledging that there will always be some student hijinks (there are at URI as well) but he did not like how PC seemed to openly encourage bad behavior and give a forum for people to disparage an opponent.

All of these have now taken on a life of their own. The local TV and print media have jumped on the story and there are things elswhere on the internet. The URI and PC presidents were separately on a local Sports talk show discussing the matter. There was even a column in today's Providence Journal by Bob kerr titled THE WINNER WASN'T REALLY THE WINNER. It had some of the following items:

"IT PAINTED PC DUMB"

"BUT THE MASCOT MUGGING WAS JUST PART OF A DAY WHEN GOOD NATURED RIVALRY AND THE PURSUIT OF BRAGGING RIGHTS GAVE WAY EARLY TO LOW MEANNESS"

"ONE THING FOR SURE. LAST SATURDAY AT THE DUNKIN DONUTS CENTER, PROVIDENCE COLLEGE DID NOT FINISH NUMBER ONE."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I actually did read the article, I would never, ever condone assault, so if it did happen, that's terrible behavior. And I would also guess that the cowbell thing was completely incidental (as it's something I would have never thought about), but if the mascot had the intentional thought of "Let me try to bring this pyramid down," that's extraordinarily wrong.

But some of this other stuff, it honestly reads like such little bitch stuff -- "I can't believe the emcee made the fan say mean things about us..." "I can't believe the students taunted such mean things to us." Give me all of that. Give me the hatred. Give me the taunting. That's awesome. That's what this game misses, IMHO. My only rules with taunting - Don't be rascist or obviously hateful (I.E - taunt about someone's deceased parent). I think everything else is pretty fair game, but I guess I'd have to think on it in one-off scenarios.

I guess I'm dumb ...
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KMac thinks that the game *may* still happen, although he throws out a lot of qualifiers. He talks about it early on in the pod.

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
Does that mean I can hold you accountable for the rash of shitheads that troll Rothstein and Koch on twitter whenever the letters U-R-I appear in one of their tweets? Can I take my frustration out on you for the comments made by those douche canoes Stevie, Hoopster, FrairFan, and the newest one Recruits Access?

Your statement means that, even though it's just a handful of mongoloids, I can then generalize and project to the entire PC fanbase since they, like the few here, speak so frequently it seems like it's more than just a small handful.
The difference is that most URI fans on this site would admittedly own to hating everything about PC -- really not talking about isolated, one/two-off comments. I think there is even a thread on this site from not too long ago of numerous posters shitting on Dave Gavitt. Is it wrong to say that URI fans felt persecuted by what Gavitt did some 40 years ago? That they hold PC responsible? That they largely hate PC because of it among other things? I think that is very different than your idiot Twitter posters or few stupid posters. There's not just 5 or 10 or 15 URI posters with deep-rooted hate for PC. You know it, and I know it. I don't know why the revisionist history like URI fans don't have a deep hatred for PC...
If you're going to project the voices of a few members of an online community on to the entire fan base to make it seem like the hatred is spread more than it is throughout the fanbase, then we should be able to do the same. There just as many PC fans online who are far more active in their trolling of URI than the other way around - that cannot be disputed. So I'm going to project like you did and say you're initial assessment saying the majority of the PC fanbase is agnostic about the rivalry is BS. PC fans care just as much about URI as the other way around.

My overall point is to say that your assessment is wrong when trying to figure out just how many URI fans loathe PC. I'm 35 and have family that went to PC and the game allows for harmless ribbing but nothing more. I prefer the game because URI does need more good teams in their OOC schedule and PC is a convenient way to get a good team on the schedule. Other than that, I couldn't care any less about PC.

I don't put all the blame on Gavitt screwing over URI as the reason we're in the position we're in. Dayton and VCU are also in the A10 but fare better because of fan/alumni/school investment in the program. I also put blame on the school and the wealthy donors who are always pessimistic and use a "show me first" attitude before donating.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
If you're going to project the voices of a few members of an online community on to the entire fan base to make it seem like the hatred is spread more than it is throughout the fanbase, then we should be able to do the same. There just as many PC fans online who are far more active in their trolling of URI than the other way around - that cannot be disputed. So I'm going to project like you did and say you're initial assessment saying the majority of the PC fanbase is agnostic about the rivalry is BS. PC fans care just as much about URI as the other way around.
If you believe that than you are certainly entitled to that opinion. My opinion is based off the many things from many people I've seen written here. I don't always agree with everyone here but generally respect most of their opinions, so if you I see several posters who I generally respect feeling a certain way on something or a variety of different things, I'm more inclined to feel a certain way than reading something from a very obvious moronic Twitter trolls. For me taking insights from Twitter is like going to Fox News expecting liberal content. But spending years on here and reading many posters for a long time, I generate opinions which influence my beliefs. But that's just my opinion. I'm allowed to have it, as you are allowed to have yours.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

McDermott gets it on how important it is to keep these in-state rivalries going, especially this year.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago McDermott gets it on how important it is to keep these in-state rivalries going, especially this year.
Let's be honest for a minute: This comparison is specious. Neither Nebraska nor Creighton comes close to Pee-C in terms of quality, stature, tradition or any other criterion you want to consider. /s/
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago KMac thinks that the game *may* still happen, although he throws out a lot of qualifiers. He talks about it early on in the pod.

I listened to the podcast. Takeaways:

KMAC talked before the interview with Cox about the canceling of the PC URI game. His comments were weird considering the situation. He talked about there will be “no fistfights at the Capital Grill for best tables, No State Legislators fighting over seats” or some gibberish.
KMAC said “Ed Cooley doesn’t need another tough one to pump up his schedule.”
KMAC said “No one wants to play URI, they have gotten too consistently dangerous for their own good.”

Then he went on to say “there could be light at the end of the tunnel. He’s talked to several people. COVID could pick up and postpone games to January. Teams may not be able to travel, URI and PC could even play home and home 2 games. Then he said hold on Friar Dom and Sam the Ram.........

He went in to say “David Cox doesn’t want to discuss the subject on tonight’s call“.

Bunch of garbage from KMAC imho.....

Original statement from Cooley, Driscoll, Thorr and Cox
Was they couldn’t find an agreed upon date. That was it. Simple.

Other reasons for canceling the game represent conjecture and opinions by fans, analysts, sportswriters......

David Cox, his staff and players were clearly unhappy based on things he said later. Now on KMACs podcast he says up front he’s not discussing the PC-URI cancellation. Good for him.

Does canceling this game help College Basketball in Rhode Island? Of course not.

I go to every PC-URI game every year - home and away.
But this year screw it. It’s done. KMAC trying to create hype and hope for it to come back is bs. Let it go, move on.

Now David Cox’ name comes up as a possibility for Penn State? Would be a great opportunity for David Cox. Canceling this big game does not sit well with his team.
Rutgers was a joke, now a legit Top 20 Team. Cox could take Penn State there too in my opinion. Does this nonsense nudge him further towards a new job in Pennsylvania or elsewhere? Big 10 Coaching Jobs don’t come along all that often.

Another reason why the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations can’t have good things.

On to The Mohegan Sun.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago KMac thinks that the game *may* still happen, although he throws out a lot of qualifiers. He talks about it early on in the pod.

KMAC talked before the interview with Cox about the canceling of the PC URI game. His comments were weird considering the situation. He talked about there will be “no fistfights at the Capital Grill for best tables, No State Legislators fighting over seats” or some gibberish.
KMAC said “No one wants to play URI, they have gotten too consistently dangerous for their own good.”

Then he went on to say “there could be light at the end of the tunnel. He’s talked to several people. COVID could pick up and postpone games to January. Teams may not be able to travel, URI and PC could even play home and home 2 games. Then he said hold on Friar Dom and Sam the Ram.........

He went in to say “David Cox doesn’t want to discuss the subject on tonight’s call“.

Other reasons for canceling the game represent conjecture and opinions by fans, analysts, sportswriters......

David Cox, his staff and players were clearly unhappy based on things he said later. Now on KMACs podcast he says up front he’s not discussing the PC-URI cancellation. Good for him.

Does canceling this game help College Basketball in Rhode Island? Of course not.

But this year screw it. It’s done. KMAC trying to create hype and hope for it to come back is bs. Let it go, move on.

Now David Cox’ name comes up as a possibility for Penn State? Would be a great opportunity for David Cox. Canceling this big game does not sit well with his team.
Rutgers was a joke, now a legit Top 20 Team. Cox could take Penn State there too in my opinion. Does this nonsense nudge him further towards a new job in Pennsylvania or elsewhere? Big 10 Coaching Jobs don’t come along all that often.

Another reason why the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations can’t have good things.

On to The Mohegan Sun.
This is clearly click bait. Didn't listen to the guy at projo, certainly will not clickbait on his own blog.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right. I listened to the whole podcast and was disappointed. He does not sound or come across as a seasoned veteran sportswriter.

No tough questions as I would expect from today’s Projo Writers.

Today’s writers just publish whatever the Coaches and ADs say. Not even softball questions.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

On to The Mohegan Sun.
I’m surprised the mental hospital’s Sports Information office let Li’l Kevin say anything like that.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

His listening audience is pc friar basketball fans. Hope that feed his family.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You guys should listen to the recent Cooley 401 PODCAST. He spoke about the cancellation of the game which was basically a speech by him as Kevin served up softball questions instead of any tough ones. In listening to the rest of the interview it was obvious that the two of them were more friends than what a relationship should be between a seasoned reporter and the person being interviewed.

By the way where is "big apple ram"?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is great...."if they don't play...Cox is gone to Penn State" l o flipping l.....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Cooley just said that playing UConn again is a 'natural geographic rivalry'. Just think about that for a second.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Cooley just said that playing UConn again is a 'natural geographic rivalry'. Just think about that for a second.
That's amazing haha...I really hope Danny rolls them in both games by 30 this year since we dont play them
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cooley is an asshole. The politics in this matter is absurd.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

The crux of all of this is that PC does not want to lose the gate and the home court advantage.

The way our contract is structured is that we play a home game "every other year".

If PC were to host this year they'd lose the advantage and the revenue from a sold out Dunkin Donuts center, as the game would return to the Ryan Center next year.

By being pussies and ducking us this year, they ensure they get the full gate and home court advantage when the series resumes next year.

But since they're pussies, they can't come out and state facts so they need to make things up. They are pussies. Their fans are pussies. Their players are pussies. Their AD is a pussy.

Play the game on a neutral floor. Play it in February. Get the home game next year who cares.

Ducking this game makes you a bunch of pussies and I hope UConn beats you by 40.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

But how do you really feel?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When did rivalry games mean more than money?
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago The crux of all of this is that PC does not want to lose the gate and the home court advantage.

The way our contract is structured is that we play a home game "every other year".

If PC were to host this year they'd lose the advantage and the revenue from a sold out Dunkin Donuts center, as the game would return to the Ryan Center next year.

By being pussies and ducking us this year, they ensure they get the full gate and home court advantage when the series resumes next year.

But since they're pussies, they can't come out and state facts so they need to make things up. They are pussies. Their fans are pussies. Their players are pussies. Their AD is a pussy.

Play the game on a neutral floor. Play it in February. Get the home game next year who cares.

Ducking this game makes you a bunch of pussies and I hope UConn beats you by 40.
PC was not going to lose the HC advantage. 2020 at Alumni Hall, 2021 at Dunk, 2022 at Ryan Center.

Cooley chose to “do what’s best for Providence College”
That’s it. Difference from the original press release from Thorr, Driscoll, Cooley and Cox staring they could find a date.
Since then PC has added FDU on Dec 5 and Fairfield on Nov 25.
My money is on PC@TCU never takes place.

Listen to his words about the 12 minute mark when asked:

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And PC is flying to Ft Worth to play TCU, picked preseason to finish 8th in Big 12. Long trip for just a single game. But selfish Ed C has it all under control.
PC/Cooley didn't schedule TCU. The Big East and the Big 12 scheduled PC to play TCU in the spring. It was a league decision. The two conferences have had a great working relationship and they decided to play games this season.

But as an aside, you point out that TCU is picked preseason to finish 8th in the Big 12. The Big 12 regularly sends 6-7 teams to the tournament. In the last 5 tournament seasons, in two of them, the #8 team in the Big 12 was a 1 seed in the NIT. In two others, the #8 Big 12 team missed the NIT but was a Top 55 KenPom team. The game is basically a stone-cold lock to at worst be a Q2 game, with the chance of being a Q1 game.

It's still going to be a decent opponent for a matchup he had no control over. And truth be told, who even knows if the game is played...

As you say PC will play 5 OCC games because of the shortened season and the brutal difficulty of the 20-game BE Conference

What it could end up for PC’s OOC Games - 144Madness Preseason Ranking) PC is #46
I’m assuming (and hoping) PC loses to Indiana and to Davidson in the Maui Classic in Asheville NC

#27-Indiana Neutral - Quad 1
#100-Davidson Neutral - Quad 2 but barely as 100 is the cut off for neutral. Could easily slip to Quad 3
#111-UNLV Neutral - Quad 3

#75-TCU Away - Quad 1 but barely as 75 Is the cut off for away games. Could slip to Quad 2
#132-FDU Home - Quad 3

Not so tough a schedule.

Cooley said date to play couldn’t be found for PC-URI
Then PC schedules Quad 3 FDU on December 5

My bet #1 is @ TCU BIG12 Challenge gets cancelled and Cooley/Driscoll STILL don’t add URI but add another game
I’ll parley my bet to say PC will NOT stay at only 5 OOC Games and will add at least a 6th OOC game and maybe even a 7th OOC game. STILL will not add URI.

I don’t trust Cooley/Driscoll. They lied once, why not more?

Watch what happens.

94AF0883-59CA-4680-AAE1-FA7B3DBC3768.jpeg
E5FE5203-6B44-42FC-A5A8-ADEE24D88938.jpeg
After Ed Cooley said the URI-PC Game was cancelled because the two teams could not find a date to play, he now has changed his story to "I am doing what is best for Providence College Basketball." He then proceeded to schedule Fairleigh Dickinson for Sat Dec 5 (URI was scheduled Fri Dec 4 ESPN.

Part of my prediction came through. Cooley chose not to stay at 25 games because of the smaller calendar window. He now added Fairfield Nov 25 to be 1 short of 27 games.

The TCU Game is still scheduled but my bet is this gets cancelled. Insane to fly to Ft Worth from PVD for a single game against the preseason 9th of 10 Big12 teams. I'd bet Cooley adds yet another super-cupcake. to replace TCU and yet another to get to 27 game limit.

Fairfield NET 285 in MAAC last season
Fairleigh Dickinson NET 283 in NEC last season

Calling these two teams Cupcakes is an insult to Cupcakes. NET 161 and above would be a Quad 4 Game - meaning PC would play them on their own home court. For PC to play them on Neutral would be 201+, and at Alumni Hall/Dunk 241+. There should be a Quad 5 Category for teams this bad.

Time will tell.
fullsizeoutput_2d7e.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I suspect PC will not add Rhody as a matter of principle at this point, not look like they caved or made a mistake. They would rather be wrong and save face.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC will not add URI because they didn't want to play URI in the first place. Covid because an excuse.
Losing 2 of the last 3 to URI gets mentioned by nobody - but you know Cooley was scared of the nightmare of Fatts Russell torching the Friars again and going out having won 3 of the last 4 vs PC. Nobody mentions that - but Cooley knows.

Covid environment - now hitting the highest cases in RI that Raimondo has seen - and PC-URI won't travel 35 miles to play in a gym with no fans. Makes zero sense.

PC was going to have the Home Game Gate next year anyway. The game was not moving back to URI.

Cooley being Cooley - could find a date that would work for both teams was total BS. Everyone knows it except but nobody will call him out or question him on anything.

1 NCAA win for Cooley. His record is what it is.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

McNamara had a chance to put Cooley on the spot during his 401 Podcast but did not have the balls to hit him with tough questions. As previously stated I would not be surprised if Cooley required no tough questions on the subject of the URI game as a prerequisite to doing the interview.
Of course: FTF
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago PC will not add URI because they didn't want to play URI in the first place. Covid because an excuse.
Losing 2 of the last 3 to URI gets mentioned by nobody - but you know Cooley was scared of the nightmare of Fatts Russell torching the Friars again and going out having won 3 of the last 4 vs PC. Nobody mentions that - but Cooley knows.

Covid environment - now hitting the highest cases in RI that Raimondo has seen - and PC-URI won't travel 35 miles to play in a gym with no fans. Makes zero sense.

PC was going to have the Home Game Gate next year anyway. The game was not moving back to URI.

Cooley being Cooley - could find a date that would work for both teams was total BS. Everyone knows it except but nobody will call him out or question him on anything.

1 NCAA win for Cooley. His record is what it is.
Ed’s Cooley has been looking for an excuse to back out of this game for years. Now he has all winter to come up with an excuse for next year.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe if enough games get cancelled our PC game will be on after all ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No chance. Zero.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Ed’s Cooley would schedule Ponaganset first.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Ed’s Cooley would schedule Ponaganset first.

NO. PC doesn't schedule RI teams. Would more probably play someone like Windham High in Willimantic, CT. Cooley would then go on about it being a natural geographic rival for PC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Continue to see teams schedule nearby schools to minimize COVID exposure, travel costs.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Continue to see teams schedule nearby schools to minimize COVID exposure, travel costs.

If only we sucked as bad as UNO...the PC game might still be happening?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I had heard that PC would have had the game this year AND next year. Only seems fair and makes sense ——-yet Cooley did not want the game this year at all.

PC Fans continue to say PC would have list the ticket sales money this year and then next years gameceould be at URI

Annoying that the College Basketball Press Corp does not get any facts. Just ends up posturing and conjecture.

Fact is PC was keeping the game for two years - From what I heard.

From the press you get nothing official and worse yet the garbage dialogue that PC doesn’t need the game.

And on and on it goes with nobody willing to ask King Ed the truth. Not like you would get the truth anyway.

screaminfriar87
Posted on Nov 9th, 3:09 AM, , User Since 152 months ago, User Post Count: 6,412
Nov 9th, 3:09 AM
152 months
Seems to me that if URI really wanted the game as much as they are posturing, they could have offered to suspend the alternating home-and-away series, play anywhere this season, and allow the series to resume at the Dunk next year, no? I have not seen that offer anywhere, but I haven’t been paying very close attention.

3 upvotes3

dog shammdog
Posted on Nov 9th, 9:08 AM, , User Since 35 months ago, User Post Count: 613
Nov 9th, 9:08 AM
35 months
screamin, I agree. Seems like they want to proceed as normal, thereby costing us a "real" home game in a series that is very much decided by home-court advantage. I haven't seen any indication that they'd be willing to suspend the alternating home-and-home series for a year and just play at a "neutral" site (Brown? Bryant? RIC?). But this way, David Cox gets to whine about it to the media and their fans get to act like we're scared of them (lol), which gives them something to get fired up about.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

The bottom line is Cooley is afraid of this game, it's too much pressure for him. If he wins he is supposed to win, if he loses he looks bad. No up side for him. He would use any excuse to not play this game. His line about scheduling what is best for PC is his only concern is pure BS. If he was truly concerned about what was best for PC he play URI because playing local teams is safer during covid. Everyone else is scheduling local teams but he is just afraid to play URI, no ifs or buts about it. Ed Cooley is a Pussyman.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago The bottom line is Cooley is afraid of this game, it's too much pressure for him. If he wins he is supposed to win, if he loses he looks bad. No up side for him. He would use any excuse to not play this game. His line about scheduling what is best for PC is his only concern is pure BS. If he was truly concerned about what was best for PC he play URI because playing local teams is safer during covid. Everyone else is scheduling local teams but he is just afraid to play URI, no ifs or buts about it. Ed Cooley is a Pussyman.
Already preparing fans for possible losses. The Ed Cooley excuse train firing up the engines.

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

We'll see how many of them play against Fairleigh Ridiculous.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jim Christian and Boston College Eagles playing full 27 games with zero Cupcakes.
20 ACC Games

URI is the only opponent not a P5 Conference Member

#3 Villanova
#2 Baylor or #18 Arizona State
St Johns
Missouri
URI
Minnesota

Syracuse
California
NC State
Louisville
Duke
Virginia
Miami
Norte Dame
Va Tech
Pittsburgh
Clemson
Louisville
Florida State
NC State
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
North Carolina
Notes Dame
Florida State
Miami

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Toughest full schedule ever? Wow.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This in-state rivalry game just got finalized today. Our rivalry with Providence also mentioned in article below:

Creighton-Nebraska basketball rivalry renewed for 44th consecutive season
Jon Nyatawa 3 hrs ago 0

Creighton and Nebraska announced their full nonconference schedules Thursday, confirming the two rivals will play for the 44th consecutive season.
The Jays and Huskers are set to face off Dec. 11 at the CHI Health Center.
The CU-NU series was originally scheduled to take place in Lincoln this season. But the pandemic forced limits on fan attendance and dampened the impact of a homecourt advantage, so the rivalry's traditional home-and-away sequence got put on hold until next year.
Instead, the two teams decided to meet in Omaha for the second straight season. They'll play in Lincoln in 2021.
Finding a compromise has been a sticking point for many nonconference rivalry duos across the country this year, putting several compelling matchups in jeopardy.
Rhode Island-Providence, Missouri-Kansas and Memphis-Tennessee aren’t happening in 2020. It’s still TBD on Wisconsin-Marquette and Seton Hall-Rutgers. Kentucky and Louisville ultimately scheduled their game but not without some verbal jabs between the head coaches. Same for Xavier and Cincinnati.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago This in-state rivalry game just got finalized today. Our rivalry with Providence also mentioned in article below:

Jon Nyatawa 3 hrs ago 0

Creighton and Nebraska announced their full nonconference schedules Thursday, confirming the two rivals will play for the 44th consecutive season.
The CU-NU series was originally scheduled to take place in Lincoln this season. But the pandemic forced limits on fan attendance and dampened the impact of a homecourt advantage, so the rivalry's traditional home-and-away sequence got put on hold until next year.
Instead, the two teams decided to meet in Omaha for the second straight season. They'll play in Lincoln in 2021.
Finding a compromise has been a sticking point for many nonconference rivalry duos across the country this year, putting several compelling matchups in jeopardy.
Rhode Island-Providence, Missouri-Kansas and Memphis-Tennessee aren’t happening in 2020. It’s still TBD on Wisconsin-Marquette and Seton Hall-Rutgers. Kentucky and Louisville ultimately scheduled their game but not without some verbal jabs between the head coaches. Same for Xavier and Cincinnati.
PC would have had the home game this year and next year as well, then at URI in 2022.
Anything you hear otherwise is Fake News.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow poor Jimmy C staring at 6-21 with that slate
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago This in-state rivalry game just got finalized today. Our rivalry with Providence also mentioned in article below:

Jon Nyatawa 3 hrs ago 0

PC would have had the home game this year and next year as well, then at URI in 2022.
There would of been no scenario or compromise where PC would of agreed to play us this year, which is very unfortunate. I am curious to see how this plays out for future games in this rivalry, it is a shame for all the fans.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Jon Nyatawa 3 hrs ago 0

There would of been no scenario or compromise where PC would of agreed to play us this year, which is very unfortunate. I am curious to see how this plays out for future games in this rivalry, it is a shame for all the fans.
PC had the home game this year and next year.

Cooley lied about there not being a date that would have worked. That is obviously not true since URI was on Friday night and PC, Ed Cooley and Bob Driscoll replaced URI with FDU on Saturday afternoon. Cooley simply did not want to play URI - he lied about date being the issue.

Would have been no fans anyway. All is working out well for URI. The Mohegan Sun experience will be great. 4 games in 5 days in a well organized event with COVID protocols well defined and implemented. Also get to play very close to home with minimal risk of COVID due to travel.

We have a very good OOC schedule ahead.

I never missed a PC-URI Game Home or Away in over 30 years but this year has soured me. I'd prefer we never play PC again. It's unfortunate that greed and selfishness manifested itself in this way with the PC organization. Time to move on.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it more than time to move on - I think it time to surpass them. Dayton was always playing second or third fiddle to Xavier and Cincinnati in Ohio. Now they are THE program in Ohio and will continue to be even without Obi.

We have the most electric player in the state, and probably all of the northeast. We will be the team with buzz and excitement. They just didn’t want to have their fans experience that.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago The bottom line is Cooley is afraid of this game, it's too much pressure for him. If he wins he is supposed to win, if he loses he looks bad. No up side for him. He would use any excuse to not play this game. His line about scheduling what is best for PC is his only concern is pure BS. If he was truly concerned about what was best for PC he play URI because playing local teams is safer during covid. Everyone else is scheduling local teams but he is just afraid to play URI, no ifs or buts about it. Ed Cooley is a Pussyman.
Already preparing fans for possible losses. The Ed Cooley excuse train firing up the engines.

Maybe that's why they were duckin'
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cooley is a fraud and his x's and o's are really over stated. McNamara had him for an interview a few weeks ago and failed to ask him point blank why he would not play us and then scheduled to play Fairleigh Dickinson the day after we were willing to play the game. Obviously we would have played the game either day. Cooley's strength is his ability to bull shit in front of a camera and that helps to keep the Friar fans from focusing on his coaching short comings.
FTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

As for moving on, my Italian Alzheimer's precludes me from doing so.

And Ed can shove it right up his Cooley.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

PC Cowards! Sick to death of some small catholic college being considered the best program in the state.