Jermaine Harris

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jermaine Harris

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Circling back - I’d take all of this with grain of salt. Even if Jermaine said this on IG it was likely frustration with still feeling pain after the shot this week.

Who’s to say, maybe surgery is the best option. But feet are also tricky.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This isn’t something a student athlete is supposed to disclose before the staff issues some type of release. Hoping he was blowing smoke.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn he really did look hobbled out there sucks to lose him
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any updates? Or are we going to see a news break 5 min before the game tomorrow.
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It’s probably day to day, unfortunately.
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Okay Jermaine is seen dunking in a practice highlight video the Rhody instagram page released earlier today.

Instagram taketh away and instagram giveth back!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago It’s probably day to day, unfortunately.
This would be my assumption too, even if he got surgery for it and we were talking about 2021-22. Like, the track record on "big guy, injured foot, but healthy in the future" is not especially good if you look for pro basketball comparisons.

When it comes to Harris' overall impact at URI - I think there is an air of disappointment, given his recruitment status beforehand. Through his first two years though, he was at a positive value when it came to win shares, which isn't always easy for a freshman and sophomore big man. His per 40 minute stats are worse than Hassan Martin and Cyril Langevine in their first two years, but similar to a guy like Will Martell. Not all A-10 level or anything, but still a guy you want on the roster and in the rotation.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay Jermaine is seen dunking in a practice highlight video the Rhody instagram page released earlier today.

Are you sure it was him? That wouldn’t be smart on a bad wheel.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay Jermaine is seen dunking in a practice highlight video the Rhody instagram page released earlier today.

Are you sure it was him? That wouldn’t be smart on a bad wheel.
Yes it is 100% him Image
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Well. Guess that means he’s ok
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Well. Guess that means he’s ok
Can only hope. I would love to see him starting or at least put in a solid 20-25 minutes tonight
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Well. Guess that means he’s ok
I guess we'll see at 7 today but idk why he would be dunking if he was injured lol. Maybe he just reaggravated it a little after the San Fran game.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Not an excuse for shooting treys early in the shot clock.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Not an excuse for shooting treys early in the shot clock.
Because you said that he's going to nail a three early in the shot clock today.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Not an excuse for shooting treys early in the shot clock.
Guess you were wrong. He missed 2 treys early in the shot clock at a critical point. Do you really want Harris treys?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

Guess you were wrong. He missed 2 treys early in the shot clock at a critical point. Do you really want Harris shooting treys?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Guess you were wrong. He missed 2 treys early in the shot clock at a critical point. Do you really want Harris shooting treys?
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Guess you were wrong. He missed 2 treys early in the shot clock at a critical point. Do you really want Harris treys?
I forgot to will the ball in from my couch....
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Really struggling with his shot from the outside and open looks.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I forgot to will the ball in from my couch....
you had...one. job.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think he looks better on offense this year outside of his green light three balls that have never gone in. Surprised his foul shooting is so bad this year. He has been one of the best over the years.

Hopefully he can be pretty healthy this year and keep getting better.

The first move he made tonight going to his left fast and scoring through the foul was awesome. He gives the team a lot. He is a huge body with some talent and has been here for three years. All of that counts for a lot.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago I think he looks better on offense this year outside of his green light three balls that have never gone in. Surprised his foul shooting is so bad this year. He has been one of the best over the years.

Hopefully he can be pretty healthy this year and keep getting better.

The first move he made tonight going to his left fast and scoring through the foul was awesome. He gives the team a lot. He is a huge body with some talent and has been here for three years. All of that counts for a lot.
Yeah he still made a few good moves.

He should shoot no more than one three a game.

Not sure what happened on that missed wide open dunk, but he's definitely better and he played a little better against the USF's.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good to see JH fighting through the foot injury

I see the improvement in his game but he can do better

We don’t want him getting the ball with his back to the basket he looks very awkward, rather have him getting open 15 footers or getting putbacks and getting to the line where his FT shooting will get better

His defense is good though
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

I’ve got no problem with JH taking a couple 3’s/game. I feel like he had good looks last night but they just didn’t fall, if they had this thread would be blowing up with love. JH sinking a couple 3s really opens the game up for entire offense, IF he can make those shots.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago I’ve got no problem with JH taking a couple 3’s/game. I feel like he had good looks last night but they just didn’t fall, if they had this thread would be blowing up with love. JH sinking a couple 3s really opens the game up for entire offense, IF he can make those shots.
At some point tho it becomes CAN he make those shots? Someone mentioned it in here that he has a career single digit 3pt % - that’s bad, especially when you figure he gets a ton of uncontested looks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago I’ve got no problem with JH taking a couple 3’s/game. I feel like he had good looks last night but they just didn’t fall, if they had this thread would be blowing up with love. JH sinking a couple 3s really opens the game up for entire offense, IF he can make those shots.
Agreed.
I’d rather Cox reduce the 3’s Russell is taking. But ultimately it’s what the Head Coach allows and encourages.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed.
I’d rather Cox reduce the 3’s Russell is taking. But ultimately it’s what the Head Coach allows and encourages.
You'd rather Fatts' 3 point attempts decline instead of Harris'?

In what world?

Fatts was 3-4 last night, Harris 0-3.

Harris is a career 9% 3 point shooter, Fatts is in the 30%.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed.

In what world?

Fatts has 4 airballs already this year.
Sheppard, Martin and Johnson are better 3P shooters than Russell. Yet Russell takes by far the most 3Ps - makes no sense. His 3Ps have been open but still he shots a low percentage.

Russell needs to pass much more, involve his teammates and take inside shots. He has not proven to be a good 3P shooter. How posters can constantly gripe about Harris and not Russell is a mystery.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"How posters can constantly gripe about Harris and not Russell is a mystery."

Hahahaha Where to start?

Hmmm lets see.

Fatts' 20 point game again PC freshman year, his performance against Oklahoma in the tournament, his defense, Top 5 in steals per game last year nationally, his 40 point game against St Joes, his game winner against Harvard, multiple other clutch shots, going to end up pretty high for career points and steals in Rhody history, and his inclusion on every national award this year.

Harris - Top 75 4 star, other offers included Kansas, Xavier, WV, Miami. Started for two years, continues to take 3's and miss, lost on defense more times than not, hasn't really been a contributing factor for 2 years and this year, and is on track to be the biggest bust (in regards to rankings and expectations) in recent memory.

I want to keep quiet about Harris this year and focus on the team, but the constant defending of Harris' play is maddening.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 weeks ago many posters couldn’t wait for Harris’ return. When there was fear of him transferring last spring many posters were wanting badly for him to stay.

Not it’s back to trashing the guy.

He missed his first two games, he has a foot injury he is playing through.

Give him a break.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4-41 from 3 career is an embarrassment

My thought is he must be making them constantly in practice so Coach lets him shoot it

As funny as this sounds if he is open he really should shoot it I think a lot of it is in his head
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Why do we have to treat Harris with kid gloves?

He's a great kid and a great representative of the University. We've been over that 100000000 times. I can't believe I have to feel like putting this disclaimer out there after being the least bit critical of someone's play. This is a basketball message board. We are completely referring to the on-court play of the guys who play on our favorite sports team. No criticism of Harris' on-court play is in any way, shape or form a slight on who he is as a person, student, or representative of URI.

It is completely fair to have high expectations for the 2nd highest ranked recruit to come into the program since Lamar Odom.

He isn't a freshman. He's a 3rd year junior who has started 63 games and played 1100 minutes for the same coach in the same system at the same school.

I don't think anyone has unrealistic expectations that he is going to be an all-conference player at this point. It's clear he was over-rated coming out of high school. Not his fault.

But the way people defend his play every time he makes a great athletic play on the offensive end - yet somehow turn a blind eye to him not going up for rebounds, missing easy layups, taking 3's as a .095% 3 point shooter in a close game, and still not understanding his defensive assignments is beyond me.

Bill Koch did a wonderful job of outlining the +/- of the entire team so far this year, and he is the only one in the negatives. -4. I don't care what else you look at as a player, but it is a fact the team does not perform as well on the floor with Harris out there vs when he is on the bench.

I do not dislike Jermaine (again, we are talking about the player), he is a big body who provides you a little something on the offensive end with occasional explosive plays. He's a reliable free throw shooter. But it's not unreasonable to expect more than 3 rebounds per game from a 6'9, 230lb low-post forward who is an upper-classman starter averaging almost 20 mpg. More glaringly, he's a defensive liability that hurts the team on that end of the floor. At this point it is clear he is not someone who should be in the game in high leverage situations collecting starter-level minutes.

If he is hurt, he should not be playing and get surgery so a) he can get healthy, most importantly, and b) maybe we get to see the highly recruited player we thought he was when he's fully healed.

But I don't think I've ever complained about his explosiveness - it's clear he's athletic AF. He does have these flashes of brilliant athleticism. My criticism has always been about his IQ, back-to-the-basket fundamentals, defensive awareness, effort, and decision-making. There are glaring holes there that you don't expect from an upper classman - and you see them if you are watching him and not just cheering when someone in Keaney Blue puts the ball through the hoop.

But with the amount of depth on this team at every position, it doesn't make sense to put an injured player out on the floor who is the only weak link on the team at the moment.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Not sure we win last night without his minutes covering up for the foul trouble of the twins. Mamu couldn’t be contained by Walker so Harris minutes were critical.

My quibble is if the HC has instructed you to shoot stroke it with confidence...

I submit Cox would have yanked him last night if he wasn’t doing what he was told.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Why do we have to treat Harris with kid gloves?

He's a great kid and a great representative of the University. We've been over that 100000000 times. I can't believe I have to feel like putting this disclaimer out there after being the least bit critical of someone's play. This is a basketball message board. We are completely referring to the on-court play of the guys who play on our favorite sports team. No criticism of Harris' on-court play is in any way, shape or form a slight on who he is as a person, student, or representative of URI.

It is completely fair to have high expectations for the 2nd highest ranked recruit to come into the program since Lamar Odom.

He isn't a freshman. He's a 3rd year junior who has started 63 games and played 1100 minutes for the same coach in the same system at the same school.

I don't think anyone has unrealistic expectations that he is going to be an all-conference player at this point. It's clear he was over-rated coming out of high school. Not his fault.

But the way people defend his play every time he makes a great athletic play on the offensive end - yet somehow turn a blind eye to him not going up for rebounds, missing easy layups, taking 3's as a .095% 3 point shooter in a close game, and still not understanding his defensive assignments is beyond me.

Bill Koch did a wonderful job of outlining the +/- of the entire team so far this year, and he is the only one in the negatives. -4. I don't care what else you look at as a player, but it is a fact the team does not perform as well on the floor with Harris out there vs when he is on the bench.

I do not dislike Jermaine (again, we are talking about the player), he is a big body who provides you a little something on the offensive end with occasional explosive plays. He's a reliable free throw shooter. But it's not unreasonable to expect more than 3 rebounds per game from a 6'9, 230lb low-post forward who is an upper-classman starter averaging almost 20 mpg. More glaringly, he's a defensive liability that hurts the team on that end of the floor. At this point it is clear he is not someone who should be in the game in high leverage situations collecting starter-level minutes.

If he is hurt, he should not be playing and get surgery so a) he can get healthy, most importantly, and b) maybe we get to see the highly recruited player we thought he was when he's fully healed.

But I don't think I've ever complained about his explosiveness - it's clear he's athletic AF. He does have these flashes of brilliant athleticism. My criticism has always been about his IQ, back-to-the-basket fundamentals, defensive awareness, effort, and decision-making. There are glaring holes there that you don't expect from an upper classman - and you see them if you are watching him and not just cheering when someone in Keaney Blue puts the ball through the hoop.

But with the amount of depth on this team at every position, it doesn't make sense to put an injured player out on the floor who is the only weak link on the team at the moment.
......I will take the incoming fire, that is fine. This post is where I am at.......I have never understood the TSNCJ here......thou shall not criticize Jermaine......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think with our depth in the frontcourt this year we don’t need Jermaine to be the savior. I am willing to accept any contribution he makes this year. No more frustration with his play. Two good minutes and I am happy!
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago 4-41 from 3 career is an embarrassment

My thought is he must be making them constantly in practice so Coach lets him shoot it

As funny as this sounds if he is open he really should shoot it I think a lot of it is in his head
Jermaine shot enough 3s in high school. His Jr & Sr year he combined to shoot 40% from three. What happened to that shot%?
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I think with our depth in the frontcourt this year we don’t need Jermaine to be the savior. I am willing to accept any contribution he makes this year. No more frustration with his play. Two good minutes and I am happy!
I think both Mitchells are better than Jermaine and they are 5 games into their true college careers (I don’t count the few games they had with little minutes last year).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We now have the luxury of quality depth.

No need any more to have to rely on one or two players in order to win games.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep Harris off the bench for 10-15 minutes as the 4th big
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Keep Harris off the bench for 10-15 minutes as the 4th big
This is likely the plan with his foot issue. It kind of works out as there is really no PT issue.
The other bigs can play a bit more free and easy knowing there is depth.

I am actually ok with the 3s if they are within the flow of the offense.
An open 3 is better than a shot clock violation.
If you are on the wing with the ball and your man is backed off you jamming the lane, you really have to shoot it unless it is early in the shot clock.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He's been clutch on the pick and rolls to the basket. Probably our strongest player too.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Keep Harris off the bench for 10-15 minutes as the 4th big
This is likely the plan with his foot issue. It kind of works out as there is really no PT issue.

If you are on the wing with the ball and your man is backed off you jamming the lane, you really have to shoot it unless it is early in the shot clock.
Harris' misses can also act as a good offensive rebounding opportunity as well... guys just have to make sure they're ready for it.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Harris' misses can also act as a good offensive rebounding opportunity as well... guys just have to make sure they're ready for it.
.......kinda like anyone’s missed FG attempts......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

.......kinda like anyone’s missed FG attempts......
Especially Jermaines...
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I’m ok to make Harris work here. Think there is still a lot of upside here. I blame the three’s on Cox( although I’m a Cox fan). It seems like a lot of Harris threes come in close games. When it’s absolutely ridiculous he’s taking a three at that point period. David if you think he’s got potential to take threes to make this team better. Next time we’re up 15 or more against a team we’re suppose to beat let him shoot threes till he drops. Either he makes them gets his confidence or the other.

GO RHODY!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wait wait wait.

People are so obsessed with defending Harris that you’re trying to justify his missed shots as GOOD because we could maybe get an offensive rebound? Am I taking crazy pills? That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.

Justifying Jermaine’s shot selection by saying “ya know, I don’t mind his missed 3 pointers because then maybe we can get an offensive rebound.”

Per your logic then, ANY missed shot by ANY player in the history of basketball is fine because there’s a chance at an offensive rebound.

This is pure lunacy and comical at this point.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s not even that folks are obsessed in defending him, it’s just incessant berating that the kid has to take on this board is too much. He’s hasn’t abandoned ship like so many others...
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Wait wait wait.

People are so obsessed with defending Harris that you’re trying to justify his missed shots as GOOD because we could maybe get an offensive rebound? Am I taking crazy pills? That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read.

Justifying Jermaine’s shot selection by saying “ya know, I don’t mind his missed 3 pointers because then maybe we can get an offensive rebound.”

Per your logic then, ANY missed shot by ANY player in the history of basketball is fine because there’s a chance at an offensive rebound.

This is pure lunacy and comical at this point.
It was 90% a joke

But seriously, his line drives to tend bounce way out off the rim and sometimes it gets us a better shot...
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If I was defending Harris outside, I would back off and let hm shoot. This creates problems for his teammates trying to get open. Harris shouldn't be put in this position. If he gets the ball outside, he needs to get rid of it as soon as possible and get back inside.

My admittedly unsupportable concern is that Harris believes that his post-college basketball playing career depends upon developing and showing an outside shot, so he is committed to taking treys during games. To that I say, he has not worked hard enough on developing good shooting technique and then practicing it over and over and over again to develop the muscle memory needed to make the shot in game situations. This is time spent outside of team practices and games. Bad technique leads to inconsistent results. Believe me, a Billy Donovan or a Jimmy Baron were not born with great shooting ability. "IF" my concern is true, Harris is putting himself ahead of the team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agreed.

In what world?

Fatts has 4 airballs already this year.
Sheppard, Martin and Johnson are better 3P shooters than Russell. Yet Russell takes by far the most 3Ps - makes no sense. His 3Ps have been open but still he shots a low percentage.

Russell needs to pass much more, involve his teammates and take inside shots. He has not proven to be a good 3P shooter. How posters can constantly gripe about Harris and not Russell is a mystery.
Malik Martin has shown nothing as a 3P shooter. He 23.1% from three this year.