3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think it’s fair to blame the coach when a team looks unfocused and unprepared to play in important games. I think the coaching has been good in stretches but is lacking some element of keeping things together and focused. But I don’t think it’s fair to say that hiring Cox was wrong or was done for the wrong reasons. They could have hired virtually anyone else and they’d be 8-20 instead of 20-8. I’d much rather be 22-6 right now but I’m not willing to say I’d prefer being in a complete rebuild.

It’s a shame how this season has been wasted but the thing that makes it worse is that it isn’t obvious at all to me what the solution is going forward. This was an unbelievably important year for the long term trajectory of the program. I’m very worried that we are backsliding to pre-Hurley with no levers to pull or buttons to push to stop it from happening.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

To those of you who get on Cox about his use of (or lack thereof) timeouts to stop an opponent’s runs, I get it and I’m with you. However, hard to blame the staff when they run good sets to start the game and the bigs can’t finish. Not just Harris, but Cyril, too. Rhody’s been getting off to some horrible starts the past few weeks and not finishing at the rim is a major reason why.
It has to be frustrating for Fatts that the bigs aren’t finishing, but then he takes on too much himself. That leads to off balance threes and low percentage drives, which in turn lead to run outs by the opponents.
I know it’s not the modern game of either take it to the rim or shoot a three, but this team needs to discover the 15 footer. That area is open and I know this would benefit Fatts. He’s had success from that range his entire career. I feel Toppin and Long would be much better served there, too. Once they hit a few from that area, then the pump fake and drive becomes an option.
Trying to stay optimistic, but it’s difficult. Can’t see Rhody coming within 10 points of Dayton on Wednesday. They are so efficient on offense and we are not.
I’m also concerned about losing to UMASS and falling to the four seed. (I’m assuming we keep the double bye, even though it’s not yet mathematically locked.). It doesn’t appear that we have a group that can win a game on three consecutive games, especially with two key players banged up, but you want to be on the opposite side of the bracket from Dayton.
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

I don’t think any of us should be surprised by this loss or surprised by our win over Dayton on Wednesday. We are incredible inconsistent all year. Even during out winning streak we had halves where we didn’t show up and were lucky to squeak out some close wins.
As many have said, Fatts plays/shoots well we are in position to win any game. As some have said. Dowtin should clearly be running point more often. That is coach Cox main flaw in his coaching at URI.
Coach Cox also has also given Harris too many minutes. I understand we have a short bench but Harris cost us 8-10 points in his limited minutes today.
I still believe in this team but don’t trust them either. It reminds me a lot of the Hurley teams where we just hope we are okaying well that day offensively not being prepared to play better offensively for a full game.
We need to pass quicker and make more cuts. Martin could post up on most defenders. Hell Harris can post up and should if he is going to be effective at all.
Cross our fingers and enjoy the remaining games. Wednesday is still a game of the year and enjoy it. Go Rams!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm not ready to give up on Cox yet, but I will say this:

Those 3 open scholarships are immensely vital to this program's short term future.

We need at least a couple of home run recruits.

If we don't get them, we are in trouble.

We will have very little inside game otherwise...and as for shooters we don't know what we will have with our current recruits.

Cox's fate will be determined sooner, rather than later.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

My perception from the handful of your games that I’ve watched this year is that I don’t think Dowtin is featured on offense nearly enough. I think he’s your best player and I don’t really think it’s all that close. I know he’s banged up these last few games, but still think the kid needs more touches and more shots.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago An NIT run is great in a season like 2002-2003 when they had come back from those three terrible years before them. But this year? It's an absolute failure.
Or even 2014-15 when the core players were mostly freshmen and sophomores, an NIT in that case is a solid developmental step. Last year the NIT would have been good as a bridge from one core to another. The core of this team are two seniors and a junior who have already played in the tournament. It's tournament or bust
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......out coached, they were simply to big, to strong, we were out played all aspects, they clearly were wanting it more than us, no urgency, very disappointing, I see losses coming up to Dayton, UMess, first game in Brooklyn, crash and burn type, scenario, will try to enjoy Senior Night to honor them all......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago A lot of that is coaching.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.
Another fucking dumbass. Who’s going to produce?

I’ll wait.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago My perception from the handful of your games that I’ve watched this year is that I don’t think Dowtin is featured on offense nearly enough. I think he’s your best player and I don’t really think it’s all that close. I know he’s banged up these last few games, but still think the kid needs more touches and more shots.
It's no secret here that when Dowtin runs the point we are a better passing team and get better shots.

With Fatts at the point we are too dependent on him playing well. If he's off, we stink. And lately, we stink.

Wait till next year with no Jeff. Fatts will certainly be the lead PG, and we will be even more dependent on him.

I hope to hell that Leggett and Wood can be major contributors and soon, but that's asking a lot of freshmen.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.

I’ll wait.
We know your allegiance is with Cox and not URI. Might not be the best time for you on this forum.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll wait.
We know your allegiance is with Cox and not URI. Might not be the best time for you on this forum.
You don’t know shit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, Fatts is running on empty, Jeff is less than 100%.

We are out of gas. Having only 2 true guards has come home to bite us. And both of them aren't exactly rugged types physically.

Your scenario could very well happen. Only 3 days to Dayton, and 3 more to UMass.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Jermaine.......he needs to get some intensive big man basketball coaching, somewhere, some how if he is ever gonna produce and contribute in his last two years......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......my main disappointment is that we are trending downward and there seems to be little that can be done about it.....at this point.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll wait.
You don’t know shit.
Someone could use a timeout?
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hurley would have been out of this game in the first half with techs. Especially when Fatts' head fake got the defender in the air and then crushed Fatts when he threw up the off balance 3.
It seemed like STL got at least 3 loose balls under the basket for lay ups.
As previously stated one has to wonder why Cox kept pressing when the lead got down to 4. How bout the shot we got off at the end of the first half from a play that Cox called from the sideline. Fatts kept holding the ball and threw up an off balance 3 at the buzzer.
In excusable to be down 11-0 at home in a game like this.
Harris and Cox beyond disappointing the last 2 games.
Not so much his first 2 years but Cyril's turnovers and terrible shots when double teamed down low drive me nuts. How about an occasional pass out to a shooter? It must be contagious since Harris was guilty twice today.
Disappointed and depressed is yours truly............

Beyond depressed at this point
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The ref with the white hair has always been AWFUL.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The team came out with no energy or spark. Just dead. Saint Louis contested everything. Over the TV, did I hear booing at one point? Is Harris an A-10 level player? Just asking. For those who didn't notice, the Fat Lady sang at about 4 PM!!
The only boos that I heard were for the refs.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So, left the arena and went to Trio for a bite. Not a chance in hell I'm going back and reading about the shit show I just saw. Not the team I thought they were. They looked defeated before they took the court. Maybe it was cause students didn't show up and don't give a fuck about this team? I don't know. This season is a freakin mess now.
Good call on Trio. All Newport Restaurant Group spots are great.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

[quote=Rhodyhooopz post_id=440612 time=1583101841 user_id=146

Also, today showed me something I have thought all year. By letting Fatts do what he wants this team has minimalized one of the all time greats, Jeff, by putting him on the wing. He was one of the guys who kept putting us back in the game and then Fatts hero ball and Cyril dribbling took us out of it. Sad sad day

[/quote]

Couldn’t agree with this more. I looked Dowtins A/TO stats after the game and was something like this:
17-18 5.6/1.3
18-19 3.7/1.8
19-20 3.2/1.2

You took your best ball handler, calmest and smartest player, your floor general of almost 2 years, off the ball to give Fatts the reigns because Fatts is too short to be a SG? How about giving Fatts some minutes at the point and designing some plays to free him up for shots when he is off the ball? Ever since this was done, our offense became much more stagnant and predictable: “we know Fatts is gonna drive so let’s pack the middle”.

The other big issue I have is personnel management. We had 3 glaring needs IMO: 1) a G 2) 3pt shooting 3) a backup big.
taking huge risks with a FR guard who wasn’t ready and a transfer with grade problems? 1 year after having a similar issue at the same position (Silverio)? Back to back years of no guard play off the bench.
Worst shooting team in the country: addressed with a JC wing who is so not ready to contribute, a JC ineligible G and the knowledge that we can only go up?
No tall Newcomer Big to provide some relief down low? (Walker is a bit short IMO). With so many FR bigs (Mitchell, Bell, Tshimanga, Paar) contributing in the conference and we couldn’t get one?

We have 3 schollies left and I hope to see the shooting and big man faults addressed.

Yes I’m sour. Sad. Angry. Sorry...
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So, left the arena and went to Trio for a bite. Not a chance in hell I'm going back and reading about the shit show I just saw. Not the team I thought they were. They looked defeated before they took the court. Maybe it was cause students didn't show up and don't give a fuck about this team? I don't know. This season is a freakin mess now.
Good call on Trio. All Newport Restaurant Group spots are great.
Someone called me crazy on twitter for thinking an empty student section affected the players. I genuinely think it fucked up their confidence to know that students can't take 2 hours out of their day to walk 5 minutes down to the Ryan center. I mean at least if I was a basketball player seeing support like that would make me feel sick
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

We are 3rd in the A10. We have an extremely promising future and we’re playin possibly the best team in the country on Wednesday. Get a win and we’re back in on the tourney. All of you said we had no chance beating VCU or winning more than 10 regular season games. Cox has so extremely exceeded those expectations and yet y’all are back to crying again.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago One cool thing that happened was in the 2nd half, a little kid dropped a ball onto the court and they had to stop the game. And instead of throwing the family out (the kid was visibly upset and crying), Dowtin (as classy a player as the program has ever had BTW) brought the ball over to the kid, the ref gave him a high 5 or fist pump, the crowd applauded and the game resumed.
Yes, it was a classy move by Jeff. But for the rest of the game it was me crying, not the kid.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think it’s fair to blame the coach when a team looks unfocused and unprepared to play in important games. I think the coaching has been good in stretches but is lacking some element of keeping things together and focused. But I don’t think it’s fair to say that hiring Cox was wrong or was done for the wrong reasons. They could have hired virtually anyone else and they’d be 8-20 instead of 20-8. I’d much rather be 22-6 right now but I’m not willing to say I’d prefer being in a complete rebuild.

It’s a shame how this season has been wasted but the thing that makes it worse is that it isn’t obvious at all to me what the solution is going forward. This was an unbelievably important year for the long term trajectory of the program. I’m very worried that we are backsliding to pre-Hurley with no levers to pull or buttons to push to stop it from happening.
You think we are falling back to pre Hurley??? That is honestly absurd. Imagine Senior Fatts having a whole other summer to work in the gym again?? Toppins potential to be an all conference player?? Tyrese Martin??? Give me a break. What are you even thinking, those comments are pathetic.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago We are 3rd in the A10. We have an extremely promising future and we’re playin possibly the best team in the country on Wednesday. Get a win and we’re back in on the tourney. All of you said we had no chance beating VCU or winning more than 10 regular season games. Cox has so extremely exceeded those expectations and yet y’all are back to crying again.
No one said that we weren’t going to win 10 games. This is the A-10, not Big 10. How has Cox extremely exceeded expectations?? We are 0 for 2 on NCAA bids which is the only thing that matters. This is not all his fault for sure. I’m glad as you put it “people are crying”. Do you think people should be satisfied with being in the projected bracket for the last month and now dropping to the meaningless NIT? Everyone has right to be upset after today. What does third place matter in the A-10? Might as well be 8th if it it doesn’t get you in the NCAA tournament
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Was the food at Trio even good? I’m not impressed with their food sometimes.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago One cool thing that happened was in the 2nd half, a little kid dropped a ball onto the court and they had to stop the game. And instead of throwing the family out (the kid was visibly upset and crying), Dowtin (as classy a player as the program has ever had BTW) brought the ball over to the kid, the ref gave him a high 5 or fist pump, the crowd applauded and the game resumed.
I watched the entire thing. There’s NO way they would have ever been thrown out. Jefe is the man!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
I agree with you completely. I was there the night of the Davidson game as me and my wife always go once a year and it always seems to let us down somewhat. I think we keep going because we like Narragansett so much and hope it will be better.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago We are 3rd in the A10. We have an extremely promising future and we’re playin possibly the best team in the country on Wednesday. Get a win and we’re back in on the tourney. All of you said we had no chance beating VCU or winning more than 10 regular season games. Cox has so extremely exceeded those expectations and yet y’all are back to crying again.
No one said that we weren’t going to win 10 games. This is the A-10, not Big 10. How has Cox extremely exceeded expectations?? We are 0 for 2 on NCAA bids which is the only thing that matters. This is not all his fault for sure. I’m glad as you put it “people are crying”. Do you think people should be satisfied with being in the projected bracket for the last month and now dropping to the meaningless NIT? Everyone has right to be upset after today. What does third place matter in the A-10? Might as well be 8th if it it doesn’t get you in the NCAA tournament
Sorry is the season over yet?? Oh yeah and a quote from you after the brown loss, “I think more than anything I have lost confidence in this team and between their defense, lack of outside shooting and top players not living up to expectations it is hard to believe we are more than a 11-7 or 10-8 team in conference.” You are a clown...
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
Sorry is the season over yet?? Oh yeah and a quote from you after the brown loss, “I think more than anything I have lost confidence in this team and between their defense, lack of outside shooting and top players not living up to expectations it is hard to believe we are more than a 11-7 or 10-8 team in conference.” You are a clown...
You are an idiot! You are one of these people that thinks everyone deserves a ribbon.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

You didn’t answer the question on who said they wouldn’t even win 10 games??
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I agree with you completely. I was there the night of the Davidson game as me and my wife always go once a year and it always seems to let us down somewhat. I think we keep going because we like Narragansett so much and hope it will be better.
I am a Narragansett insider. Go to PJ’s on Boon Street. Owner is a season ticket holder. I’ve been going there for well over a decade and food is fantastic.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

You are an idiot! You are one of these people that thinks everyone deserves a ribbon.
We have the biggest game of the season on Wednesday (a potential season saver) and you all are already done. Don’t show up to the game then. We can make a run in Brooklyn too. After your comical Brown comments I figured you would learn not to make judgements so soon. When the season is over it is over and then you can make critiques. Watching this whole forum predict what will happen throughout the year has definitely given me plenty of laughs. Because you just can’t do it. Dayton is a juggernaut but this is college basketball and anything can happen. You think Cox planned not to have Tate, Sheppard, Hammond or Twan for half the year. Cox has mad a run with this depleted roster and deserves every bit of credit. Our stars play 38 minutes a night every game. Hard to get consistent production every game from the same two guys. Season is not over and the tourney is not out of reach. Cry when the season is over, not now before the biggest game of the year.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I did say it you dumbass, that quote was from you :lol:
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I did say it you dumbass, that quote was from you :lol:
You are an annoying jackass. You said 10 total games.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think it’s fair to blame the coach when a team looks unfocused and unprepared to play in important games. I think the coaching has been good in stretches but is lacking some element of keeping things together and focused. But I don’t think it’s fair to say that hiring Cox was wrong or was done for the wrong reasons. They could have hired virtually anyone else and they’d be 8-20 instead of 20-8. I’d much rather be 22-6 right now but I’m not willing to say I’d prefer being in a complete rebuild.

You think we are falling back to pre Hurley??? That is honestly absurd. Imagine Senior Fatts having a whole other summer to work in the gym again?? Toppins potential to be an all conference player?? Tyrese Martin??? Give me a break. What are you even thinking, those comments are pathetic.
What I’m thinking is that if this roster is not good enough to make the tournament, then next year’s likely isn’t either and after that we will be in a situation with zero players with tournament experience and the link to those successful Hurley teams will be broken. This year was the lynchpin that would bridge the Hurley success to future success, and the bridge appears to have collapsed.

When I say pre-Hurley, I’m not specifically thinking of the 2011-12 team that went 7-24; I’m talking about a nearly two decade run where whether we had good teams or bad teams, those teams didn’t end up playing games in March that mattered. I don’t know if it will be 20 years until we dance again - I certainly hope it won’t be, but as I sit here tonight I don’t feel like I can see the path to it (like I could when we were 14-18 in 2013-14 but the building blocks were clearly in place and the guy steering the ship clearly knew what he was doing). Just because I can’t see it doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but it’s depressing to not know whether any of the players that will be on our next tournament team are in the program or in 3rd grade.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I feel sad.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Things swirling around in my head:
- Martin took a long time to show up in this game.

- Harris continues to perplex me. No idea how come he struggles. Coaching? Officiating in his head? This team NEEDS him to perform to have any real shot against stopping opponents with a big skilled center. URI is getting killed by teams that have skilled centers (Richmond, Davidson, UMass, St. Louis, etc).

- Cox still doesn't take a timeout to aid in stopping a team's run. One thing I hate about Cooley is that is what he does to URI all the time when they get on a run, but it is somewhat effective at times.

- Team is 245th in assists.

- Everytime URI was making a run the officials swallowed their whistles when URI was getting clobbered in the paint on offense and then had very quick whistles during SLU's following possessions. It was FAR, FAR, too many times for me to ignore and not say anything about it. The old guy in the white hair was THE WORST!!!

- This team needs more from Walker on offense. He's shown that he can hit some nice shots near and in the paint. He really needs to start getting to spots on the floor that will give him the best chance to succeed offensively.

- IF URI doesn't do better during the games they have left, this could really hurt their recruiting and really put this team in a bad spot for the next few years. I feel like this season is a huge turning point or linchpin that could either keep this program going in the right direction or could cause it to tank really fast. In my opinion, there is no good reason that this team shouldn't make the NCAA Tournament. None. Yet here we are with them on the brink of not making it. Something is wrong with this team. Is it that Cox's team struggles to coach low post players? Is it lack of motivation by some players? Is it lack of basketball IQ? All of the above? I can not figure it out for the life of me.

- I'm angry with the team as a whole. I don't like watching guys play off their man while going through the defensive motions without fighting for each and every possession, simply because I've never taken a possession off when I play defense. It's just not in my DNA. In the first half, numerous guys were pitiful.

- Cyril, Fatts, & Dowtin consistently fight to win most if not all their games. It's evident. I feel REALLY bad for them that the supporting cast doesn't do the same. It's disgraceful. When you are down 7-0, 9-0, 11-0 to start the game, that's not the time to look lost. That is the time to get laser focused and dialed in. That is the time to get pissed. That is the time to start making every step, every movement, every shot, hard on your opponent. That is the time you step up and let them know that it's going to be a LOOOOONG F'n game with you in their face.

HARRIS & MARTIN, STEP THE F UP ON DEFENSE. I don't care if those two do NOTHING ELSE as long as they do that! It's time to be men! Focus just on that! I CAN'T STAND WATCHING LACKADAISICAL B.S. ON DEFENSE. I WOULD TAKE A TEAM FULL OF 12 JARVIS GARRETTS OVER THIS TEAM ANY DAY BECAUSE AT LEAST THEN I'D KNOW THEY'D BE PLAYING WITH TENACITY & HEART 100% OF THE TIME. COX wants to show them tape. Show them tape of that guy and TJ and Stan and Terrell and Mobley and Renolds-Dean and Hassan. Those guys didn't lay down for anyone.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

It sucks that Cyril and Jeff are both banged up at this critical time in the season, and injuries to key players can be a bit of an excuse for poor results. However, I refuse to go down the “we’re tired” route. Playing twice a week, even at 35 minutes per game, should not be too difficult for 18-21 year olds, and we just had an entire week off two weeks ago.
PC played basically 7 1/2 players against Villanova and basically 6 in the second half, after Reeves limped off the court. They still got it done, on the road, no less.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........given the size and strength of SLU, the defense seemed over powered, think a refocus is needed on the defensive intensity as our program signature, our injuries are also a factor to have players dig in for critical stops, especially when we open games w/o scoring first.....at this time of year with worn down bodies the intensity is just not there; kind of makes me wonder what signature style of play we have with Coach Cox......seems the upper A-10 programs have a something they are known for that is consistent from year to year, players that are recruited to fit that.....if ours is defense, then we gotta get back to that.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I’m getting sick of the “we only have 8 players” excuses. The number one job of a college basketball coach is to build a winning roster. That’s arguably more important than in game coaching and time out usage.

When you make this argument in defense of Cox, you’re not making the point you think you’re making.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Jermaine.......he needs to get some intensive big man basketball coaching, somewhere, some how if he is ever gonna produce and contribute in his last two years......
I am sure Kenny Green Could help. Bring him into the program as some type of Basketball Ops person or an Asst coach.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago I’m getting sick of the “we only have 8 players” excuses. The number one job of a college basketball coach is to build a winning roster. That’s arguably more important than in game coaching and time out usage.

When you make this argument in defense of Cox, you’re not making the point you think you’re making.
Both teams played 8 guys
Saint Louis played Weaver 4 minutes. Harris played 9 minutes for URI.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Jermaine.......he needs to get some intensive big man basketball coaching, somewhere, some how if he is ever gonna produce and contribute in his last two years......
I am sure Kenny Green Could help. Bring him into the program as some type of Basketball Ops person or an Asst coach.
.....sure, OK that is an option; my vision is some camp, tutorial, intensive technique type program with a known track record guru type that has helped develop big man players......perhaps just wishful thinking by me, but I gotta think this exists, and with carry over drills homework maintenance that is done in practice and built upon all season.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

OK. I have tried to calm down since yesterday but nothing seems to be working. So let's just look at numbers and see what they say

Yesterday's game
Cyril 3-10 (not a typo but same as Davidson Game)
Fatts 5-16 (made a few meaningless shots at the end)

Jeff 5-9
Martin 4-10

A-10 League Games
Cyril 42% - 99% layups
Fatts 38%

Jeff 45%
Martin 45%

Not sure what anyone else thinks but I know who i would rather take most of the shots and its not the guys who are taking them now.

PUT JEFF ON THE BALL.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I expect Fatts to have a good game tomorrow. I see him drawing a lot of contact due to STL’s physicality.
THIS. Fatts always has his best games when he's driving and drawing fouls.
Also when he is having a strong defensive game.
Last 2 games Russell only had 1 steal in each. He is averaging 2.8 steals per game. Would be great if he could have a game with 7 steals as he did vs VCU or 5 steals which he did vs WVU, Middle Tennessee and Nichols State.

Getting steals often sets up a breakaway for an easy confidence building layup. Steals excite Russell and boost his overall game. He has very quick hands and excellent anticipation.

Russell will be paired against Freshman Yuri Collins. Collins has had 7 and 12 assists his last 2 games. He stirs the drink for SLU. Russell needs to dominate the Freshman today offensively and defensively.
Russell did what I asked and then some in the steals department

Set the all time single game record with 8 steals vs Saint Louis. Amazing number of steals in a single game.

Travis Ford had Freshman PG Yuri Collins on Russell for much of the 1st half and then switched it up and opened the 2nd half with Jordan Goodwin on Russell. Both stayed very close to a Russell and made finding open shots difficult. Russell’s makes were mostly off of steals with breakaway layups.

Russell was 2-7 on 3Ps but his last 3P was with only 5 seconds remaining, game was basically over and he banked it in which was obviously not by design.

With all the heavy pressure from Collins and Goodwin Russell still only had 2 TO’s and I think one of those TO’s was from an offensive foul. But the pressure did impact Russell’s shooting percentage. Shots were difficult to come by.

Also amazing on the 8 steals was Russell ended with Zero Personal Fouls doing it. Plus Russell only played 32 minutes, sitting out 8!!
2495730C-BF79-4F2C-B2D0-100DCED4E800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago They improved shooting, but they did it mostly at home and lost on the road to UMass so it can’t have been that improved...
4 // The Billikens have shot 50 percent or better from the field in four straight A-10 games for the first time in school history.

5 // Over the last four games, Javonte Perkins is shooting 66.7 percent from the field (30-45), 66.7 percent from 3-point range (10-15) and 82.6 percent from the line (19-23).
To surf’s point, they averaged 64 points in their two road games in their last 5 games and 80 in their three home games in that stretch. If we keep them in the 60s today then I like URI’s chances.
Final Score 72-62.
Saint Louis kept their record hot shooting going as they hit 31-59 for 52.5%

That’s a record 5 straight games of 50% FG or more in A10 play, breaking their record of 4 straight games.

Saint Louis hit 2-4 on 3Ps. Only 4 three point attempts was their lowest of the season. Travis Ford took the game inside.

Saint a Louis dominated inside out rebounding URI by a landslide 44-26 rebounds

French 14 rebounds 12 points and Goodwin 10 rebounds 17 points had almost as many rebounds as our whole team.

Collins 9 assists in only 26 minutes (due to 4 fouls) was key to getting the ball inside in good position for high percentage shots for Bell, French, Goodwin, Hargrove and Perkins. Bell a career high 12 points on 5-6 FG.

Ford removed French for the last 6 minutes of the game. URI could not have “hacked-a-French” to try to get back in if they wanted to.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I kept saying "Wow they are so much better than us."

Sadly its very true.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago OK. I have tried to calm down since yesterday but nothing seems to be working. So let's just look at numbers and see what they say

Yesterday's game
Cyril 3-10 (not a typo but same as Davidson Game)
Fatts 5-16 (made a few meaningless shots at the end)

Jeff 5-9
Martin 4-10

A-10 League Games
Cyril 42% - 99% layups
Fatts 38%

Jeff 45%
Martin 45%

Not sure what anyone else thinks but I know who i would rather take most of the shots and its not the guys who are taking them now.

PUT JEFF ON THE BALL.
We have now lost 3 of our last 5 games

Russell:
FG
@Dayton (7-18)
St Josephs (6-12)
@Davidson (3-17)
@Fordham (4-12)
Saint Louis (5-16)
Total (25-75) = 33%

3P FG
@Dayton (1-5)
St Josephs (3-6)
@Davidson (2-6)
@Fordham (2-6)
Saint Louis (2-7)
Total (10-30) = 33%

FT
@Dayton (4-7)
St Josephs (3-4)
@Davidson (0-0)
@Fordham (5-7)
Saint Louis (5-7)
Total (17-25)= 68%
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I watched the entire thing. There’s NO way they would have ever been thrown out. Jefe is the man!
I didn’t see him “drop” it, but the ball was out in the middle of the court when play was stopped. :lol: :lol:
I think the Ref’s could have gone to the replay? My guess is it was a pretty good throw by the little guy.

Wonderful handling of the situation by our beloved Senior Jeff Dowtin. I’d like to see this same little kid present Jeff with a Game Ball this Wednesday Night at Senior Night!!

It was one of those Little Orange 🏀 Basketballs that we throw up into the crowd during breaks.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.