Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

More Harris tomorrow!

Let him take it to Santos Silva!

If we use our guys right we have a deeper frontcourt!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago any thoughts on if JH will be dramatically improved this year and over his injury ?

by dramatically i mean averaging 17-20 points PG
When you started this thread You we’re looking for a dramatic improvement to average 17-20 points per game. This could be behind your ongoing frustrations with Jermaine.
Averaging in this range is above Dowtin, Martin and Langevine. It would put him among the top scorers in the A10 as only a Sophomore.

Harris has been given the ok by David Cox to shoot the 3P. Cox has stated that publicly.

Last game Harris’ first 3P went in, out, in and out again - a shame it just missed. His 2nd 3P he took with too much time left on the shot clock. David Cox immediately removed him from the game. Lesson learned hopefully and taught by Cox.

Agreed - but I was on the sauce for that post haha

I did lower it

Regardless of what my # was - I did expect more in points

I was thinking he was injured last year and would dramatically improve

But I agree - fairly or unfairly - I put him on a pedestal based off ratings and who we recruiting him

His final 8 was very impressive
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Absolutely agree he should not be shooting threes when there’s 28 seconds on the shot clock. Doesn’t mean he should be banned from a 3pt shot. Simply make better shot selection, which I am certain he’s capable of. I was one of the people who said, “noooooo”.

One thing about the title of this thread is “dramatic improvement?” It’s called growth and maturity.
I also said “Noooo” when he went into his shooting motion, as did I think about 4,000 others. I’ve never heard a collective groan as loud as that as a player started into his shooting motion.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Absolutely agree he should not be shooting threes when there’s 28 seconds on the shot clock. Doesn’t mean he should be banned from a 3pt shot. Simply make better shot selection, which I am certain he’s capable of. I was one of the people who said, “noooooo”.

One thing about the title of this thread is “dramatic improvement?” It’s called growth and maturity.
I also said “Noooo” when he went into his shooting motion, as did I think about 4,000 others. I’ve never heard a collective groan as loud as that as a player started into his shooting motion.
I watched Jermaine make 11 straight 3’s during warmups before the Davidson game. He can definitely shoot as Cox has said on multiple occasions. Screaming like morons during his shot is embarrassing
Common sense is not common.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Still need him to get more touches in the paint.

I hate the fact that we seem to have no intent to get him the ball low for a 3 footer. That is a high percentage play.

His defense against Davidson was awesome. I dont remember him getting beat even when he was forced to switch onto the guards.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago

I watched Jermaine make 11 straight 3’s during warmups before the Davidson game. He can definitely shoot as Cox has said on multiple occasions. Screaming like morons during his shot is embarrassing
That is exactly why he is probably frustrated that his shot isn't falling. I've seen the same thing during just about every warm up I've watched him. He can hit it with consistency and it seems clear to me that he wants to get out of this funk of not being able to hit it during a game, but in my opinion he needs to take smarter shots and the crowd also needs to keep their mouths shut until after he shoots the ball. The guy is already struggling from 3pt range and then having hundreds or thousands of people telling him "nooo" as he's trying to shoot can't be helping one bit with breaking out of that funk.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Screaming would have actually been way better...it was definitely more of a collective 'groan'...
I was one of those...couldn't help myself...was like an instinct...it just came out...half under my breath...you know, when you just can't believe what you're seeing, and you can't prevent it from happening....
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

This! But we ok with how many bad shots from Fatts?
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Screaming would have actually been way better...it was definitely more of a collective 'groan'...
I was one of those...couldn't help myself...was like an instinct...it just came out...half under my breath...you know, when you just can't believe what you're seeing, and you can't prevent it from happening....
Yes, people weren’t screaming, they were groaning. Plenty of players can be lights out in warmups, when they are not being guarded and can take their time and there’s no pressure, but can’t translate it to the game because everything moves faster. Harris has a nice touch from 15 feet and at the free throw line, but at this point in his career, he is not a three point shooter.
The issue with that particular three pointer is time and score. I believe Rhody was up by ten at that point and I think most fans were looking to keep the momentum going. One pass and a three was not the play for anyone at that point, let alone Jermaine. It doesn’t matter what the fans think. It’s what the coaches think. DC obviously thought so because he blew a gasket and then benched him for the rest of the game.
I think plenty of people on this board call Fatts out when he moves towards hero ball and takes crazy shots, including his off balance threes.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....no, I am not OK with any player, including a Fatts, taking many bad shoots....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I dont cate about the threes he should shoot them. But the last one was a very bad decision. Early in the shot late in the game while were nursing a lead
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Good thread by Bill Koch here:

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Bill was too civil in his response to that guy. I have a guess who Jak Brown is on here, though.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Bill was too civil in his response to that guy. I have a guess who Jak Brown is on here, though.
He needs to go into KB Siberia for a bit.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m not Jak Brown, if anyone was wondering.

(@ RhodyKyle)
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

There’s an ocean between thinking Harris is a bust and thinking that he’s not ready right now but very well could be.

Yes his expectations probably made a few of us think he’d be a dominant big by this point - but Koch made a ton of good points in that thread that are completely valid.

Obviously I’ve been critical of his play - because I know he’s capable of better and my concern has been effort.

If he’s been battling injuries than I think that nullifies a lot of the criticism and my hope would be he’s rested more until he’s fully healthy.

I agree with Kenny Greens assessment that the game is moving too fast for him still and it may take more time to slow it down.

Still believe he can turn it around and live up to his hype. Still think he’ll be a valuable piece. Still think he’s a bit too lost down low to play in high leverage situations at the moment.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago There’s an ocean between thinking Harris is a bust and thinking that he’s not ready right now but very well could be.

Yes his expectations probably made a few of us think he’d be a dominant big by this point - but Koch made a ton of good points in that thread that are completely valid.

Obviously I’ve been critical of his play - because I know he’s capable of better and my concern has been effort.

If he’s been battling injuries than I think that nullifies a lot of the criticism and my hope would be he’s rested more until he’s fully healthy.

I agree with Kenny Greens assessment that the game is moving too fast for him still and it may take more time to slow it down.

Still believe he can turn it around and live up to his hype. Still think he’ll be a valuable piece. Still think he’s a bit too lost down low to play in high leverage situations at the moment.
That's the best way to put it. I am also critical because I KNOW he has potential. He was a 4 star recruit for a reason. I think he's still kind of finding his identity with the team. I really think he should lay off of shooting threes right now and work on his inside shot.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I just can’t wrap my head around people guaranteeing and stating for a fact they KNOW Harris is going to be a star.

We all hope obviously he becomes a star, but people saying they know he’s going to be a stud are just wrong.

Nothing he has shown (performance / ability to stay heathy) points to him being a star.
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I just can’t wrap my head around people guaranteeing and stating for a fact they KNOW Harris is going to be a star.

We all hope obviously he becomes a star, but people saying they know he’s going to be a stud are just wrong.

Nothing he has shown (performance / ability to stay heathy) points to him being a star.

I cant wrap my around the amount of negative comments about this kid. The kid has basically been a starter since day 1, and is only a sophomore. Impactful bigs who are impact players early in there careers end up at a very small amount of schools. All P5s. Harris has a good foul shot and great touch inside 12 feet. Obviously his scoring numbers arent there, he is at best the 4th option on offense everytime he is on the court. He has played thru injuries as well. You all gotta chill on Jermaine he has played pretty well for a young big on an experienced team.

Just look a few miles North and Gantt at PC. He was ranked higher then Harris and plays on a bad PC team and isnt lighting the world on fire.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will take Kenny Green’s opinion over any fan on Twitter or any KB member posting on this subject.
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I will take Kenny Green’s opinion over any fan on Twitter or any KB member posting on this subject.
Agree 100% with Kenny's opinion as well you are right 83.. Much of my own personal thoughts as well, nice to see someone of his caliber state it well. I may try to be the ultimate optimist as far as URI, and do not mind some people venting and posting negative comments to a point, but, personally I do not see the dislike by some for Jermaine. He works his tail off too and wants to be very good,and I think he will succeed. Yes, he was ranked very high , but not every kid walks into D-1 and is a star right away. Watching Duke and Kentucky with top 25 guys you may tend to believe that everyone with a high rankings should come in and dominate. That is not the norm for many players around the country, especially for bigs. He has already become much more aggressive and a very good rebounder. He has the offensive skill set, I believe his offense will come also, I think more so next year. Even this year he works extremely hard for position on the block and sometimes gets it, but never seems to see the ball. He has had flashes of nice moves and touch in the post, but doesn't get the ball much.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Harris averages the 7th most rebounds on the team per game.
Go Rhody
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Harris averages the 7th most rebounds on the team per game.
3.6 is 4th he is at 3.3. Only walker plays fewer minutes per game of the folks above him. 3.3 at 18 minutes a game isnt that bad. You, R15, will go to any length to bash this kid. How about just dont post about Harris and leave your hatred of the kid in your thougbts.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Harris averages the 7th most rebounds on the team per game.
3.6 is 4th he is at 3.3. Only walker plays fewer minutes per game of the folks above him. 3.3 at 18 minutes a game isnt that bad. You, R15, will go to any length to bash this kid. How about just dont post about Harris and leave your hatred of the kid in your thougbts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I just can’t wrap my head around people guaranteeing and stating for a fact they KNOW Harris is going to be a star.

I cant wrap my around the amount of negative comments about this kid. The kid has basically been a starter since day 1, and is only a sophomore. Impactful bigs who are impact players early in there careers end up at a very small amount of schools. All P5s. Harris has a good foul shot and great touch inside 12 feet. Obviously his scoring numbers arent there, he is at best the 4th option on offense everytime he is on the court. He has played thru injuries as well. You all gotta chill on Jermaine he has played pretty well for a young big on an experienced team.

Just look a few miles North and Gantt at PC. He was ranked higher then Harris and plays on a bad PC team and isnt lighting the world on fire.
I think part of the problem is also that he has had various injuries over the first two years that has slowed his progress. I like Harris and hope he gets healthy as we will need him for the remainder of the season or we will really be short handed off the bench. He has talent and will continue to improve and learn if he can just stay healthy. I for one gave up on Berry when he was here. I think we can all agree on his value his senior year.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Whats your point with this screen shot? It shows exactly what i said. 3.6 is 4th Harris is at 3.3 and only walker averages fewer minutes of those ahead of him! This is a meaningless screenshot. Just as meaningless as your bashing of a sophmore who is NOT expected to be a top offensive option yet. So STFU and keep your harris bashing to yourself!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

And have Toppin or Walker saved a game for us late with steals and stellar defense? We are a weaker team without Jermaine, plain and simple. Do I wish he grew his skillset by leaps and bounds this year? Absolutely but that's not how this works.
To be honest I thought Tyrese would be the most impactful player on the team this year after Fatts. Tyrese to me was looking like he could have been an offensive monster and has been clicking for him lately so I wont hate too much.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

All 8 kids bring value to the team. All 8 are important to our success. All 8 know their roles and are doing the best they can. All 8 are assets to the team and the program. None of them are perfect. Harris will be a good player for us. He's playing hurt. He tries hard. We need him. I hope he can help us kick ass tomorrow night.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I really hate that this is even a thread.

Sad part is, I know his family has seen this bullshit.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Most fans are supportive of Jermaine. I know his teammates and the coaching staff have his back.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I hope he has a killer game, and all these doubters will finally shut their pie holes.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They won’t ever shut up, because that’s just who they are. But they will know. There will be a lot of games between now and when he’s done here that people who’ve been shitty to him will have to marinate in it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Injuries and it usually just takes a bit longer for big guys to develop.

I just hope he's a lot healthier tomorrow!

Anybody an expert on hip flexors?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Injuries and it usually just takes a bit longer for big guys to develop.

He will be good for 20 minutes tomorrow night.
“We will be good when we are good.”
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

If his family reads this hopefully they see that the vast majority of fans are pulling for him. Big men take way more time to develop than guards. We’re going to need him in the next two years.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Injuries and it usually just takes a bit longer for big guys to develop.

He will be good for 20 minutes tomorrow night.

Good deal. His prescense is needed.

I sat right behind the basket at the game in the Siegal Center and he was incredibly helpful on defense. Hes strong enough to hold his own and hes taller than basically everyone on their team. He is very effective when we throw the ball over the top to him. Now he misses lay ups like EVERYONE ON THE TEAM, but any points from him we are golden and he is almost our best free throw shooter.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I will take Kenny Green’s opinion over any fan on Twitter or any KB member posting on this subject.
Ask him if he wants Rhody to win the conference or come in second. ;)
Harris could be better, but so couldn't we all. On offense, there's minimum 3 other guys that get shots before he does, but the skill will develop. While he still gets beat on D at times, it happens less often and it seems like he's using his athleticism to hedge better all the time. The beats down low are gonna happen from time to time but, I love the way Rhody guards the perimeter and I think his improving ability to get out there helps that...more so all the time.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

he hit a HUGE free throw line jumper to help us beat VCU at home last year, hopefully he has another one for tomorrow night if we need it
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago If his family reads this hopefully they see that the vast majority of fans are pulling for him. Big men take way more time to develop than guards. We’re going to need him in the next two years.
The frick and frack comments on this thread.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We definitely need him to give us minutes and hopefully he stays out of foul trouble

We have Twan playing well so I am sure Cox will give the minutes to the most effective of the 2
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So will you take the deal RhodyKyle?

I know you saw the post.

Harris averages 10/5 next year and you go away, he doesn't and I go away.

If you take the deal feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself, if not, well you really have nothing invested do you? so STFU

Go rout for PC, they could use a good fan like yourself.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago So will you take the deal RhodyKyle?

I know you saw the post.

If you take the deal feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself, if not, well you really have nothing invested do you? so STFU

Whoa, whoa, whoa...you've got the wrong guy!

I think you mean R15. I've gone after him real hard lately for his Jermaine Harris hot takes - I'm squarely on Team Jermaine. I mean, someone back me up here, please!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harris did a commendable job defensively on Michael Hughes of Duquesne. Hughes is 6th in the A10 in FG% and against Harris and Langevine he was an ineffective (2-7) in FG shooting.
Harris bodied up against Hughes and Hughes didn’t like it and reacted poorly to the physicality that Harris played with.
Hughes lost his temper early in the second half and URI went on a huge run.
Langevine also bodied up against Hughes effectively. It was big for URI to neutralize Hughes in the Duquesne game.

Watch Harris when he does not have the ball on both offense and defense. He is very active, and he is improving.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

I know you saw the post.

I think you mean R15. I've gone after him real hard lately for his Jermaine Harris hot takes - I'm squarely on Team Jermaine. I mean, someone back me up here, please!
I got your back. It's R15.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

I know you saw the post.

I think this is the post that caused the confusion:
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I’m not Jak Brown, if anyone was wondering.

(@ RhodyKyle)
For some reason R15 did “@ RhodyKyle” to indicate he was responding to RhodyKyle (who suggested that R15 might be the guy getting killed by Bill Koch on Twitter) rather than quoting him, and I think RR understood that instead as R15 saying his twitter handle is @RhodyKyle. Low stakes Tarantino-esque confusion.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TP that is correct.
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

So sorry RhodyKyle, my old people interweb skills on full display.

Sorry for the confusion boys.

Ok, what say you 15?

agree to stop your comments about harris and drop it all together
or
agree to the deal, so you have stakes in the game
or
ignore the deal all together proving you're a hack who doesn't actually believe what he espouses
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Say "No Deal", 15! Don't let 'em run you off ;)
Can't be letting folks deny anyone's right to be wrong!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

just to be clear, I'm not trying to run anyone off. I actually can't stand when people get "run off", I'm just asking someone who feels it necessary to post statements bashing our own players to put something on the line proving he actually believes his own nonsense. I believe he is so wrong, I'm willing to take the same stakes, imagine you all could have a nice forum without me mucking it up if Mr. 15 takes the deal and wins. I'm offering to run myself off, no more posting my bad takes. Think of how lovely the forum could be without me, take the challenge 15 or maybe concede to the idea that you are wrong and your frustration with Harris is more about your own expectations and not fair at all to the kid. Call me crazy but anytime someone supposed to be a fan posts about our current players with mean spirited intent it makes me think "great candidate to be a PC fan."
Go Rhody!!!