David Cox Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: David Cox Coach's Show

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So when is this soirée and who is going to report back to KB?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

July 30th. There are a few KBers going.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not quite there yet....I mean the 1000 dollar club......
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Not quite there yet....I mean the 1000 dollar club......
I think the $1,000 threshold may have been off.
Edit: it’s higher
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......May take a ride thru the Pier, stop in for a drink there and see what is happening.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Invites are from Learfield. This isn’t a URI event. Not related to donor levels.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

While it is technically a Learfield Event, there were also a number of invitations extended to "Friends" of both programs. Thus the ambiguity of minimum donor levels.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago While it is technically a Learfield Event, there were also a number of invitations extended to "Friends" of both programs. Thus the ambiguity of minimum donor levels.
Agree. Not really a smart move. Anything URI MBB should include the donors above a certain level. It’s not a good idea to exclude people making certain donations levels.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......dig deep into your heart, even deeper into your pockets.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Between Learfield IMG and Athletic Development, I'm sure they will round up the usual suspects. Those that have continually supported Rhody athletics in a big way will not be omitted. The same goes for Corporate Sponsors and probably some potential clients whom they would like to sign. It's a meet and greet essentially and an opportunity to get everyone in the same room.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I know of one instance where a donor who gives more than I do was not invited

I do have 7 season tickets so maybe that factored into my invite
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Maybe the reason was they wanted to plant some prominent people in with a rather inauspicious crowd and you came to mind.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe includes giving to sports other than MBB. Might include WBB, Football, etc
This is one you have to trust the Administration to handle properly. They certainly know who the current and past donors are. I like the idea of this.
Maybe some interaction between donors helps with things like the MBB Practice Facility, Baseball Facility, etc
Good example was one donor giving $1M for Football lights and another giving $1M for football turf. Plus selling the concept for concerts, soccer, HS Football, etc
Also the $10M just given for Engineering Building by Mike Fascitelli and his wife has to play in the invite list. Mike was an excellent basketball player at North Providence HS and played JV MBB at URI back in the time when they had a JV squad.
Also let’s the Donors mingle with our Administration to potentially understand what the needs and dreams are, short, medium and long term.
I am all for events like this.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Hit the nail on the head Ramster. Learfield is doing a great job. The more corporate business they generate, the more money the athletic department receives. Learfield represents PC and Brown as well. If you notice there are corporate sponsors involved with multiple programs. That is not a coincidence. Some companies find great value advertising in a college setting. More often then not, students and probably more so alumni will patronize sponsors that support their athletic programs.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

So this may not be the proper thread for this but...I was offended by the fact that RI Student Loan Authority and RI Public Transit Authority are big sponsors of P.C. Basketball. They had prominent ads at the Dunk during the game last year. Why don’t they advertise at the RC during URI games?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......just a thought......they are PC, we are URI, and for ever more the divide remains......maybe the other events that are scheduled in the Dump bring more eyeballs to their organizations than the RC?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......just a thought......they are PC, we are URI, and for ever more the divide remains......maybe the other events that are scheduled in the Dump bring more eyeballs to their organizations than the RC?
My point is more that those are R.I. Quasi-state agencies that should be supporting the State University as well as Private catholic institutions
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......just a thought......they are PC, we are URI, and for ever more the divide remains......maybe the other events that are scheduled in the Dump bring more eyeballs to their organizations than the RC?
My point is more that those are R.I. Quasi-state agencies that should be supporting the State University as well as Private catholic institutions
Should be supporting other state institutions first before any private entities.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Anybody know if the event tonight will have radio?
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

https://newsradiori.iheart.com/calendar ... d5e873af7/

Hey Rhody Rams Basketball fans, join Steve MacDonald and the News Radio 920 and 104. 7 FM Street Team Tuesday, July 30th from 6-7 pm for the David Cox Radio Show at The Coastguard House in Narragansett. Unable to join us tune in to News Radio 920 AM or 104. 7 FM
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago https://newsradiori.iheart.com/calendar ... d5e873af7/

Hey Rhody Rams Basketball fans, join Steve MacDonald and the News Radio 920 and 104. 7 FM Street Team Tuesday, July 30th from 6-7 pm for the David Cox Radio Show at The Coastguard House in Narragansett. Unable to join us tune in to News Radio 920 AM or 104. 7 FM
This makes it sound like it’s open to the public and my understanding is that it isn’t?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago https://newsradiori.iheart.com/calendar ... d5e873af7/

This makes it sound like it’s open to the public and my understanding is that it isn’t?
Interesting...that sounds like an open invite to me.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Probably copy and pasted from an old show and didnt change the details.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just confirmed it is not open to the public. That promo meant to get people to tune in to the radio.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

I just confirmed it is not open to the public. That promo meant to get people to tune in to the radio.
Then they should have said, tune into a "special radio show" and not say to "join Steve and 920 at the Coastguard House...."
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Also cleared up the invites. It is for corporate sponsors. Additional invites were provided by Tammi Reiss the new WBB Head Coach because this is her first show. Tammi invited some supporters of the WBB program. The event has nothing to do with donors levels to the URI MBB program.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

Then they should have said, tune into a "special radio show" and not say to "join Steve and 920 at the Coastguard House...."
I believe you will see a revision come out from the radio station.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Should be supporting other state institutions first before any private entities.
What else do you expect from Her Eminence Raimondo?
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox coming on now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Cox coming on now.
What did David have to say?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I enjoyed the show. Would have liked to hear a lot more though.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Among other things Coach Cox talked about Tate and Harris and how they have both made great strides to the point they will look like completely different players. Mentioned Dana having a lot more flexibility and maybe playing the wing at times.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

He also mentioned Topin as someone you could build the program around.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago He also mentioned Topin as someone you could build the program around.
Wow, that's high praise for the kid.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Any mention on how Jermaine Harris has looked?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Any link to listen to a recording?
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......in my drive thru the pier, stopped in for drinks and some apps in the outdoor patio.....then headed upstairs after the radio show sign off, did not hear any of the radio show.....kinda politely crushed the event......impressed by the new Women’s Coach and some of her long ago back ground in the AAU circuit in the Hudson Valley, nice nite for TJ for sure.....Go Rhody....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One interesting nugget - while talking about Walker, Coach Cox stated a 6’7” forward. Walker is listed at 6’9”. Cox doesn’t get details wrong.

Jeff getting up 10,000 shots this summer. He is still in RI and didn’t go home for the break. Jeff is so intelligent. He knows this is a huge year for him.

Also this being Tammi’s first show she went about 28 minutes and Dave went about 16 minutes.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good news on the improvements of Dana and Jermaine and his thoughts on Toppin
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Not a lot of insider type info at the event

Lots of representatives from Corporate sponsors....many of whom are not really Rhody fans....many of them are also corporate sponsors of providence, Bryant and Brown.

I got the dreaded "we root for Rhody except when they play pc" line from several at the event.

Coaches had to schmooze them and the regular Rhody boosters in attendance so no time to chat with Keaney Blue people in attendance...

Many of our best intelligence gatherers were not at the event

Did get to chat with the new Women's staff.....they are personable and hard-working

I would skip a similar type event in the future......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wouldn’t read too much into the comment about Toppin. Steve started by saying he would ask about all the newcomers but asked about a few of the existing players first. The only Fr he asked about was Toppin because he was signed after the last show and then jumped to Walker. They were rushed for time. They jammed the TJ announcement in at the end.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago
I got the dreaded "we root for Rhody except when they play pc" line from several at the event.

This line says to me: "When do they score the touchdown with the Hail Mary in basketball?"
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Ramulous,
if you weren't so busy eating the filet mignon and the lobster tails and drinking Dom Perignon, you could have come into the secret room where all the insider stuff was was being discussed. You would have known who the new assistant is, when he starts and what recruits are being targeted. And many more conspiracy theories. Security was weak. Anyone could have gone upstairs and taken it in.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Eat, drink and be merry.....for tomorrow we die....

YOLO