Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by RF1 »

Heartbreaking loss but I have unfortunately become accustomed to them in the last 10-15 years. Team played hard throughout so I can't really fault them. It is just frustrating that it always comes down to just a few plays or ft's that decide losses for us. Lady luck is bound to turn at some point.

I have to say I was absolutely shocked when I turned into the north lot and it was nearly full fifty minutes before the game. That doesn't happen much. Just about everyone was in their seats well before tipoff.

Great to see Will, Tavorris, Tyson, Marquise, and Sly make the game (along with Phil and Abu who are always there).

Tough loss but it was certainly entertaining right up until the end.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

" Rams fans are pathetic because the PC game defines their whole season. It's their Super Bowl. Better luck next year ram fans you'll certainly need it. "

Some genius posted this on the pc board... They're the ones wishing us luck for next year? We're getting our future NBA player back and almost everyone else. They're losing their "player of the year" and will be significantly worse than last year while we'll be much better.

And this game is important for URI, no question about that. But, the A10 dogfight that will be conference play is much more important than an OOC game vs an in state rival.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How blatant was the pushoff on the game winning tip in? I was a little screened, so I didn't get a good look at it. Chris Disano on the post game show said something like, "when Dan sees that last play on tape, he's not going to able to sleep tonight", referring to the pushoff. How bad was it?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Joe wrote:" Rams fans are pathetic because the PC game defines their whole season. It's their Super Bowl. Better luck next year ram fans you'll certainly need it. "

Some genius posted this on the pc board... They're the ones wishing us luck for next year? We're getting our future NBA player back and almost everyone else. They're losing their "player of the year" and will be significantly worse than last year while we'll be much better.

And this game is important for URI, no question about that. But, the A10 dogfight that will be conference play is much more important than an OOC game vs an in state rival.
$1 to the Jimmy Fund....
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:How blatant was the pushoff on the game winning tip in? I was a little screened, so I didn't get a good look at it. Chris Disano on the post game show said something like, "when Dan sees that last play on tape, he's not going to able to sleep tonight", referring to the pushoff. How bad was it?
Replay makes it look very obvious. I honestly didn't see it at all live though

Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I'm a Friar fan, and glad we won, but that was an example of how good URI can be this year. Of all the players we missed in recruiting two years ago, the one that bothered me most was Terrell, and he showed why tonight.

I've watched Dayton, Davidson, and VCU play this year, and I think URI can be better than all of them. I fully expect Providence and Rhode Island to make the NCAAs this year.

Who knows? Maybe we'll meet again in March! Good luck the rest of the way.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

My take after letting this sink in.
First off, stop with the EC=NBA player.
He's got miles to go before that could happen.
Let's not pretend we lost Steph Curry.
In THIS game the backcourt was terrific.
Best I've ever seen Jarvis Garrett play.
This was the player PMurph raved about, years ago.
Terrell shook off a tough start and also looked like
the player we expected to see since he signed.
Martin was Martin.
As happens, Bentil was too long for him at times.
Plus he had to switch off and guard Bullock, who
had a good second half.
Iverson contributed in the second half with his 7 points.
He also guarded Dunn at one point, forcing a turnover.
Listened to Rooke and Hassett on the way home, to get
a different perspective.
Hassett said Garrett was the first guy this year to make Dunn really work on
defense.
Garrett beat him continually to the basket.
I'm liking Thompson more and more.
With Four shut out, and not a great defensive player,
I would like to have seen more of Thompson.
He too did a good job of keeping Dunn from going crazy.
What it came down to was, we missed 7 of our last 10 shots.
Also, two plays went right to Bentil for baskets in the last minute.
The first one looked like it was going to be a turnover.
Crowd could not have been better.
Good to see Sly, Tyson, Phil Kydd, TBell and others there.
Only a win would have made it better.
Great game. Team looks like a team that can play.
Need to just continue at tonight's level to have a
nice season.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The team played HARD and had their best game of the year. I know a lot of fans are very disappointed but we have a lot to be proud of by playing to the wire with a nationally ranked team. Bentil clearly pushed off for the tip in at the buzzer. The refs don't have the balls to make a call like that at the buzzer.

AND, make no mistake about it--Jarvis Garrett (8 games into his sophomore year) outplayed the alleged national POY candidate.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got home.. Pissed off sorry, enough with the moral victories. 2 yrs ago was a moral victory when we got a lousy shot at the end to lose by one.. This close game was a moral victory, that close game was amoral victory, blah blah blah. I want to see them beat some good teams now!!!! That was the promise.. Yes Thompson played well ( will be starting soon with 4 off the bench like he was brought in to do). Yes Garrett and Terrell played well.. Yes we outhustled PC, but yes we lost to that arrogant coach and their arrogant fans again, because we still don't know how to win the big one.. Ok enough of my hatred from the team from Providence. If I didn't hate losing so much I would admit that was one of the best games to be at in years with a terrific atmosphere.. That is what college bball is about.. I am just greedy and want more and I expect this coach to provide us with the talent and ability to give us more.. Sooner rather than later.. Damn you PC!!!!!!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hard fought game.
It took missing E.C., hack a Hass, and the zebras refusing to call more than one foul on Dunn (a guy that aside from the cupcake Hartford game usually averages 4 fouls a game) for PC to win tonight.
I didn't expect Rhody to win.

Positives (things I liked):
They fought hard and looked pretty impressive on offense. Lots of guys stepped up.
Thompson played well on defense and offense. He really made it tough on Dunn at times.
Terrell finally showed up and played well.
Jarvis was pocket hercules today and made PC's entire defense look just stupid silly.
Cooley looked so frustrated in the first half.
Hassan's MONSTER DUNK! That has to make ESPN's top plays tonight!
It took a buzzer beating play to beat a Rhody team without their leading scorer....hahaha...HAHAHAHAHA!

Negatives:
Four was off tonight. He didn't handle the big stage well.
Officials refusing to call more than one foul on Dunn who was clearly all over who ever had the ball. All of a sudden the contact calls just didn't apply to him for some reason.
Officiating....look...I don't know what some people were seeing when they say it was a decent officiated game because it really was not....at all....in any way.
  • -First half there was a foul called on Rhody and ball should've been on the floor/taken out of bounds. It wasn't and the officials gave PC shots at the line. But in the 2nd half same happened to Rhody while driving to the basket and shots weren't given.
    -Numerous travels by Dunn...too many to possibly count. No call.
    -Hack a Hass down low. No calls.
    -Cooley on the court almost on the half court line. No call.
    -Dunn's push offs and hand checking/slapping and contact on the ball handler.
    -Watson fouled while dunking. No call.
    -Bentil traveling and hooking to get around Has and to the basket. No call.
    -Cooley working the officials while the foul differential was at a 2:1 ratio in their favor. Rhody had 6 at the time and PC had 3...someway...somehow. Somehow a guy who usually has 4 fouls and is barely able to stay in a game could do no wrong. I used to have respect for Cooley. After this past week and his behavior today....I've lost all respect for him.
    -Ball stripped from Dunn and ball goes flying off his thigh and into end zone seats. Somehow PC ball. Physics don't work that way. I don't expect a PC fan to understand this one.
    -Push off on the tip in.
I am super proud of the way Rhody played tonight! They left it all on the floor. It was good to see the players step up.
GO RHODY!
Last edited by The Dude 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

is it a push off yes, was it enough to warrant a foul call at the last second? I don't think so

it was a great game all around (both teams played well, refs lets them play), a couple bounces went PCs way and that was the difference. On the press we get the bad pass that gets tipped around into a PC player's hands and on the last shot PC gets the tip in on a slight push off.

I'm encouraged, hope we can play like this the rest of the year. the ball movement on offense was great tonight
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

blueram, if this team plays like they did tonight, they will win out the rest of the OOC schedule imo...

Will they? Will they bounce back from another almost-but-not-quite?

If they do, they will be 10-3 and in position to have a good conference season, and be in the mix come March.

The problem, as I see it, is consistency. They have to have that for the above to happen.

You could tell they wanted it tonight. They weren't going thru the motions like they have at several times already this season.

They have to stay "up" for each and every game. Dan telling them that doesn't always work, they have to decide for themselves, especially on the road.

That's not just the team, that's each individual player.

Imo the emergence of Christion Thompson has given us the needed depth to play with the better teams on the schedule.

We'll see how it plays out. Houston and Nebraska will not be easy games. They will have to play well to win them both.

Will they?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Talking about the bad/no calls, or bad bounces is just going to drive everybody crazy.

It always seems to happen to us. Luck was not our lady tonight. When it is ever?

I have 50 years of experience watching this stuff, and the bad outweighs the good by a country mile.

Rod, Neil, and many others can attest to this.

Someday, somehow, we'll get ours. Please let it be soon. Thank you.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:blueram, if this team plays like they did tonight, they will win out the rest of the OOC schedule imo...

Will they? Will they bounce back from another almost-but-not-quite?

If they do, they will be 10-3 and in position to have a good conference season, and be in the mix come March.

The problem, as I see it, is consistency. They have to have that for the above to happen.

You could tell they wanted it tonight. They weren't going thru the motions like they have at several times already this season.

They have to stay "up" for each and every game. Dan telling them that doesn't always work, they have to decide for themselves, especially on the road.

That's not just the team, that's each individual player.

Imo the emergence of Christion Thompson has given us the needed depth to play with the better teams on the schedule.

We'll see how it plays out. Houston and Nebraska will not be easy games. They will have to play well to win them both.

Will they?
That's not saying much really. The rest of the OOC schedule doesn't bring much bling. That was supposed to be the easy part of the OOC schedule. I agree it is consistency. We have players who on any given day can get double double's. when they can all be on, they can be great.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not sure why Earl played only 10 minutes tonight, especially with the ease that PC was scoring in the paint.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Talking about the bad/no calls, or bad bounces is just going to drive everybody crazy.

It always seems to happen to us. Luck was not our lady tonight. When it is ever?

I have 50 years of experience watching this stuff, and the bad outweighs the good by a country mile.

Rod, Neil, and many others can attest to this.

Someday, somehow, we'll get ours. Please let it be soon. Thank you.
Hang in there, 'bone. The Red Sox actually won the World Series, which proves that ANYTHING can happen...and the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl that one time (oh, wait...that happened twice, didn't it?) Rhody will get theirs, who knows when...could still be this year... Keep playing hard, with the guys that are suiting up every day, stop talking about the ones that aren't...and this team should be in position where if they win 2 in Brooklyn, they'll be 'in'. That'll be worth the price of season tix for me...
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:Not sure why Earl played only 10 minutes tonight, especially with the ease that PC was scoring in the paint.
he didn't play much because there was no one for him to guard on defense, the PC big men are very mobile and good off the bounce. If you put Watson in on Bentil he was get the ball at the 3 point line, get iso and take Watson to the hoop. Needed Hassan and Iverson out there to guard the bigs
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hassan's dunk made #3 highlight of the night on Fox Sports.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Joe wrote:" Rams fans are pathetic because the PC game defines their whole season. It's their Super Bowl. Better luck next year ram fans you'll certainly need it. "

Some genius posted this on the pc board...
This is basically my entire mentions section on Twitter. It's weird how much they tweet about a game that they say matters so much to us and not them. One of life's mysteries I guess.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Not sure why Earl played only 10 minutes tonight, especially with the ease that PC was scoring in the paint.
he didn't play much because there was no one for him to guard on defense, the PC big men are very mobile and good off the bounce. If you put Watson in on Bentil he was get the ball at the 3 point line, get iso and take Watson to the hoop. Needed Hassan and Iverson out there to guard the bigs
I'd rather have Watson on Bentil than Iverson. Bentil is way too strong for Iverson. I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure most of Bentil's points came in the paint. At least Earl could bang him a little bit. Plus Earl is a rim protector.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Things I liked; Hass taking a couple of outside shots when defense sags in lane assuming he can't/won't hit from there; Thompson, all aspects of his game; JG and JT puting together big game in same nite; coming back from double digit down; we will be alright in the A-10 sked.
More cha ching.......I think it is about time to move on with the EC woulda, coulda stuff.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:
I'd rather have Watson on Bentil than Iverson. Bentil is way too strong for Iverson. I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure most of Bentil's points came in the paint. At least Earl could bang him a little bit. Plus Earl is a rim protector.
Agree. If Bentil responded to Watson being on him by going out to the perimeter, that is a huge win for Rhody. He killed us in the lane; if we could have gotten him out to the perimeter then we should have done it.

Having said that, though, I'm not going to bang on the gameplan. Overall, I thought it was good and it was certainly good enough to put us in position to win the game.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

section(105) wrote:Things I liked; Hass taking a couple of outside shots when defense sags in lane assuming he can't/won't hit from there; Thompson, all aspects of his game; JG and JT puting together big game in same nite; coming back from double digit down; we will be alright in the A-10 sked.
More cha ching.......I think it is about time to move on with the EC woulda, coulda stuff.....
Almost forgot about Hassan's 3... That was awesome! I believe it was the first 3 pointer of his NCAA career? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Before the game if someone told me that Hass would make more 3s than Four I would think they were crazy
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I didn't think the foul at the end was blatant, until I saw THIS angle. Not whining, but it IS a clear foul for what it's worth.

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he had one frehman year against Fordham in Fordham

he is 2-17 in his career now
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

PC had 46 points in the paint!
Gotta agree with posters who question why Earl
didn't get more time.
I'd rather have seen Bentil trying perimeter shots than
living in the lane.
Watson seemed to do well in the 10 minutes he got.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It was truly a great effort. We did play well enough to win. Unfortunately, so did PC. We played our best game of the year and still lost.
Going forward, I think we need more of Hass and Earl in the game together. It's not fair to expect either one of handling a good front court alone.
I also think 4 should comes off the bench. If he's hitting 3's, it's one thing. But, tonight he had nothing.
And it's not like he's a great defender. I think he played way too much tonight.
Thompson needs to play more. He has a different look about him now. He seems to be getting his confidence and is showing the talent we expected to see.
I hope they can play with this intensity up for the rest of the year. I'm not sure they will. This loss has to take a toll on the team. We'll find out soon enough.
Tonight, I think PC won it. We didn't lose it.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Some comments from 205

1. Shit
2. Team played hard with an enthusiastic crowd. Nice to see so many alums. Nicer to see them show up for other games other than PC.
3. Refs did fine, although there was a possible back court violation that was not called late in the game. DH was not happy with the non call.
4. For the first time in a long time, Dan was far more subdued (with the refs). Cooley was far more out of control.
5. Breaks went both ways, deflected passes leading to friar baskets, and we had two banked three's.
6. CT will be playing alot more.
7. JT and Jared were great. Hopefully, they have both found their shots.
8. Was one of the last out of 205. I just sat there thinking how many times is this going to happen.
9. Will be in Florida for the Houston game. Let's keep it loud 205. Will certainly be back for Iona.
10. If PC is ranked, that must mean that we....fuck it!
11. Go Rhody!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Some genius posted this on the pc board...
This is basically my entire mentions section on Twitter. It's weird how much they tweet about a game that they say matters so much to us and not them. One of life's mysteries I guess.
I don't get where they get the idea from that this game defines our season. I want to beat them because I think they are mostly bad people (there are obviously some exceptions). On a personal level, I hate them. From a basketball standpoint, I obviously want to beat them for basketball reasons, too, but it is far from defining our season. If any URI fan had to choose between beating PC or winning the A10, I doubt any would pick beating PC. Both would be better. Maybe next year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

this loss sucked.

But the team looked very good tonight. One thing that i learned from the Baron era is that its more important how you end the season than how you start it. This season is not over and after last season im optimistic that this team hasnt peaked yet.
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

I'm pretty bummed out about this one. Overall, thought we made some great contributions across the board but clearly not enough to win.

If we lose at home to a NBE team, what does this mean once conference play hits? Will we be able to even hang with the likes of Dayton and GW?? Anyway, different story different day. At least we're not stuck with 200k+ in student loan debts for a weak degree.

#AtLeastWeAreNotFriars
#OnToHouston
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: I don't get where they get the idea from that this game defines our season. I want to beat them because I think they are mostly bad people (there are obviously some exceptions). On a personal level, I hate them. From a basketball standpoint, I obviously want to beat them for basketball reasons, too, but it is far from defining our season. If any URI fan had to choose between beating PC or winning the A10, I doubt any would pick beating PC. Both would be better. Maybe next year.
I think it just helps make them feel like they matter to keep saying that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree with most post especially on the positives.
Some other points:
PC shot 67% in the 2nd half and scored 46 points in the paint for the game.
Rhody didn't play good D and PC is a good offensive team.
Hass had trouble with Bentil and Bullock underneath on D.
Bentil, Bullock and Lomomba were 19-27 (70%) almost all 19 in the paint. They slso were 11-11 FT.
I think Bentil was too quick for Earl underneath. He went by him down low twice in the 2nd half.
Rhody struggles offensively when Garrett is out. JT and Four aren't PGs.
Best games of their careers for Garrett and JT.
Best offensive game by Rhody in a long time 45%/33%/69%
Too many PC fans in our section - I hate that
I wish Rhody went after Bentil and Bullock more to start 2nd half to get them in foul trouble even if we didn't score. Rhody dominated when they were out in the first half
Plays that hurt the most
1) The turnover on outbounds play leading to dunk by Dunn. No pick set just throw it back deep
2) Lucky deflection on potential steal that led to Bentil dunk - almost 10 secs/almost back court/almost steal
3) PC score with 2.2 seconds at end of first half
4) breakout after steal where Thompson had to rush layup
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

860_rhody wrote:Pretty sure I just saw Layssard walk in. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about a recruit being on campus though.
Good eye 860, you are right.
He was sitting 1st row behind URI bench. Big guy. Good to have Christion (also from Louisiana)have a solid game, playing tough defense on Dunn too. Christion did not play like a Freshman and really rose to the occasion. Also good for Mike to experience the Ryan a Center at its best.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ramster wrote:
860_rhody wrote:Pretty sure I just saw Layssard walk in. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about a recruit being on campus though.
Good eye 860, you are right.
He was sitting 1st row behind URI bench. Big guy. Good to have Christion (also from Louisiana)have a solid game, playing tough defense on Dunn too. Christion did not play like a Freshman and really rose to the occasion. Also good for Mike to experience the Ryan a Center at its best.
Hopefully, there were other recruits at the game to experience the Ryan Center at its best, rather than, well, all of those other games no one bothers with, because…….
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

One of my sons asked me about the game when I got home.
"It was a classic URI game," I said.
"They won?"
"C'mon, you should know better than that. They lost."
My grandson chimed in, he's almost eight, "Yeah, by two stinky points, 74-72, on a tip-in at the buzzer."
"Oh……"
"Whatever. It was the best basketball game I've seen in a long, long time."
"Aren't you pissed?" my son asked.
"No. Disappointed, but not pissed. I'm done being pissed."
"Well, I'm pissed, Ghee," my grandson said. "You don't know how pissed I am."
"Congratulations," I said laughing. "In 50 years you can have the same conversation with your grandson."
"I don't think so, Ghee."
"Why not?"
"I have lots of girlfriends, but not a real girlfriend. But I did kiss Reece on the bus, so I guess that counts."
Yes, in it's own stupid, ironic way, the night was perfect.
The torch has been passed.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great post, bressler
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep. The coaches change. The players change.

The results remain the same.

Us old timers know the routine all too well.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can't blame this on bad breaks when we banked in 2 outside shots and had Hass hit his first 3 of the year and Dunn missed a wide open dunk.
The out of bounds play Dunn stole for a dunk and the errant pass getting tipped to Bentil all alone under the hoop were back breakers.
Four was taking Polaroids on the last play helping on Lindsey in the corner instead of sagging in lane to help stop Dunn who was clearly taking the last shot, forced others to come over and help which left Bentil alone on weak side. Check Four's stats vs PC and Maryland, not good, athletic teams will prove difficult for him on both ends.

Just a gut punch loss. Again. 5 points from being 7-1 but alas we are 5-3 and have our work cut out for us to assemble an NCAA resume.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Upon further review, to me the contact at the end tip in was not such that it was not gonna get a call....especially at that point in game......upon further thinking, that travel/two feet shuffle/back court in front of the media table was the one missed call, Coach gave the official another ear full before leaving the court.....wonder if some video would show a violation....maybe just another play on non call.....reminded me of the non call, in same spot, in the UMass game years ago where Ulmer got leveled on a UMass steal for a hoop.....if I recall correctly.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Doesn't matter. Bad call, missed call, so what?

Those type of things always happen to us.

Whatever it takes, we get hosed.

Hurley himself has got to be wondering what it takes to change this program's fortunes....

I have replayed in my mind, many of the plays/calls that have beaten us over the years.

I think I'm going to have to stop doing this. It's become too many to count.

If there was a book titled: URI BB: Close Losses in Big Games, this would be chapter # 352783.....
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Im proud of their effort, i listened to the majority of the first half on the ride into work and the crowd sounded amazing. Sounds like the guys played their hearts out and the kids we need to step up in EC's absence did just that. If they continue to put forth that type of effort the results will come. Im laughing to myself here at all the comments about how we always lose the close ones, at least most of you guys seem to be patriots fans, try being a dolphins fan living up here...
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:Like I said, if they can continue to improve, it could be a good year.

It's funny, JG and JT have good games, their best this year, and Four and Iverson disappear.

Got to have all of them on their games against the better teams.

Thompson keeps it up, and maybe starts, with Four off the bench, could make up a lot of the difference that we lost with EC.

He could be that good.....he's going to get that chance.
It is pretty clear to me that PC game planned to stop Four from getting off and it worked. Not a big mystery.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would challenge anybody here, to find a college BB program that constantly loses the close ones to good teams, as often as we have.

Most teams find a way to at least win one once in a while. We have, but it's so rare.......
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:Doesn't matter. Bad call, missed call, so what?

Those type of things always happen to us.

Whatever it takes, we get hosed.

Hurley himself has got to be wondering what it takes to change this program's fortunes....

I have replayed in my mind, many of the plays/calls that have beaten us over the years.

I think I'm going to have to stop doing this. It's become too many to count.

If there was a book titled: URI BB: Close Losses in Big Games, this would be chapter # 352783.....
2004, 2007, 2013 if the Red Sox can turn it around so can we.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:I didn't think the foul at the end was blatant, until I saw THIS angle. Not whining, but it IS a clear foul for what it's worth.

agree, this angle shows it to not be incidental contact.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Welp its the way she goes

Absolutely gut wrenching, take the wind out of your sails loss, but there is no time for that. The season did not end last night it is just the first week of December, there is still 3+ months of a season left. Despite the loss the team definitely took some steps in the right direction and played their best game of the season. With our coaching staff i know that we will learn from this and continue to get better throughout the season.

It sucks to have to be patient and I understand people being frustrated and sick of morale victories. But there is no such thing as curses and these days will soon be a distant memory. There is a beautiful storm approaching, and if you can't see it you're blind.
Clapton is God
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I like the sawx comparison.

Until we win this matchup on a regular basis we are the 1949, 1978 and 2003 Red Sox - battling back, fighting hard and always falling short against the MFY. Make no mistake about it the p c friars are our Yankees.....and that tip in was Aaron Boone/ Bucky Dent / Joe DiMaggio all over again.

We are embarrassing ourselves whining about a walk and/or a foul call on that play. The best player on the floor attacked the basket and we lost in classic fashion. The glory of that belongs to the winner.

Can't be winners if we whine.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Great college basketball game. Shrtty result.

Now let's go beat some teams that have actually won an NCAA DANCE game in the 2000's.

GO RHODY!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Just a question to anyone on this board who may be more familiar with today's rules. What constitutes a travel these days? I have to say that I jumped out of my seat at least a half dozen times last night when Dunn had the ball, yet I have seen the same thing watching other teams play. I'm totally lost on this.