The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Unread post by bigappleram »

I clearly saw a lot less of Hassan than Dan, but in the 2 high school games I saw him play I never would have compared him to Graham. Maybe Juvonte Reddic moreso. He floated out and took some threes, he was the best player on the team and had liberty to do so, but he did most of his work in the paint, blocked a bunch of shots and had some crowd pleasing dunks. Much like we have seen in his 2 years here.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thanks, TP. I was inspired by your signature.

BAR, that statement of Dan's has since stuck in my head.
I don't see it in any way, even remotely.
He did talk about Hassan playing the 3, because that's where his NBA
possibilities were.
Very strange in retrospect.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Kind of random, but I was thinking about how 3 of Rhody's starters have serious NBA potential. EC was being scouted hardcore last year, and that will only drastically increase, and its pretty likely that he will declare after this season. (Hopefully not) Kuran was considered to be NBA bound straight out of high school, but he didn't live up to expectations at Memphis. His game is still there though, and I still think he's good enough. A 6'9" versatile small forward is any coaches' dream. Hassan NBA bound? If he gets a better shot and handle, I could see him being a late round pick senior year, although that isn't for a long time.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hassan will make a lot of money in Europe.
Kuran still has a lot to prove to even get on NBA radars.
EC would have to show improvement across a number of key areas to be NBA bound after this season.

Not to be forgotten Jared Terrell already has an NBA body and style of game. Lots to work on but besides Iverson was our highest rated recruit.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I could see Terrell having a Tony Allen career in the NBA.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

"How could you not know what is coming?" Dan Hurley
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Terrell has no ceiling, he already has the body. He has to work and maximize all of his fundamentals but he has the attitude and physical traits to play in the league. I look for him to have a big sophomore year. At times last year he was our leader.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bigappleram wrote:Terrell has no ceiling, he already has the body. He has to work and maximize all of his fundamentals but he has the attitude and physical traits to play in the league. I look for him to have a big sophomore year. At times last year he was our leader.
100%
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A lot of predictions for Hassan's development and ceiling were predicated on him developing different parts of his game. It hasn't quite happened yet, which I think has as much to do with his abilities as who else is on the floor with him. None of that is a slam- he's been great and a lot of fun to watch, with two more seasons to go. His verbal commitment, along with EC's (that was a great September weekend), were so important in getting the program turned around again. In this day and age of exposure, Hassan's background is rather unique in that when he committed to Rhode Island, he had played in only 9 varsity games and only had one high-exposure AAU summer.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Imagine if Hassan was 7 ft. tall......
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hassan doesn't need to change a thing. The guy is dominating.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If he wants to play on the next level, plenty needs to change.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

To what BAR and Rod wrote: I wish Hassan Martin nothing but the very best, but as an undersized center, there's no "next level." As an undersized power forward, there's no next level; as a small forward, there's no next level, simply because he lacks the requisite skill-set at that level: ball-handling, outside shot, perimeter passing skills, etc.,
As far as his overseas prospects, I'm sure he'll land somewhere and make some money, but nothing that will make him "rich."
Overseas, he'll face the same skill-set challenges as in the U.S.; small forwards in Europe have small forward skills. That's why NBA general managers drool whenever they can get their hands on outstanding ones. Players here -- overall -- have no mid-range game and lack the "old-fashioned" fundamentals.
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

bressler3south wrote:To what BAR and Rod wrote: I wish Hassan Martin nothing but the very best, but as an undersized center, there's no "next level." As an undersized power forward, there's no next level; as a small forward, there's no next level, simply because he lacks the requisite skill-set at that level: ball-handling, outside shot, perimeter passing skills, etc.
Serious??? So now we can project the development of a 19 year old kid with the heart of a gladiator based on being an inch or two shorter than some ideal of size? Tell that to Charles Barkley or Dennis Rodman. I guess Hassan should just content himself with getting a good education because, obviously, there is no next level for him.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramsman75 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:To what BAR and Rod wrote: I wish Hassan Martin nothing but the very best, but as an undersized center, there's no "next level." As an undersized power forward, there's no next level; as a small forward, there's no next level, simply because he lacks the requisite skill-set at that level: ball-handling, outside shot, perimeter passing skills, etc.
Serious??? So now we can project the development of a 19 year old kid with the heart of a gladiator based on being an inch or two shorter than some ideal of size? Tell that to Charles Barkley or Dennis Rodman. I guess Hassan should just content himself with getting a good education because, obviously, there is no next level for him.
Those are pretty good points 75, and they highlight where I think Hassan has the most potential. In order to make the NBA, generally speaking, you need to have one or two elite skills, or be very good at everything. Hassan will never be an elite shooter, will never be elite at taking his man off the dribble, will never be elite at facilitating the offense, ditto for any of the skills most commonly sought after for players who play the 3 in the NBA. He CAN be an elite shot blocker, an elite rebounder, elite energy guy. His best chance to succeed at the next level is in the vein of Barkley, Rodman, or Faried - as an undersized 4 who is a great athlete and a beast inside. Not by "expanding his game" and trying to play a style that doesn't fit his skill set.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Barkley was an all around player and a big
scorer, even at Auburn.
He averaged 22.0 ppg in the NBA and took over 2,000 3
point attempts.
So, his skills were set in a game that brought a total offensive package
to the NBA. He also weighted 250 lbs. and was strong as an ox.
Barkely did not play center in college.
Faried also was a scorer in college. He's 6'8" and weighs 230 lbs. and left as the NCAA
all time rebounding leader.
Hassan gets very few touches, and almost all at within a few feet of the basket.
Understand, I'm in no way knocking Hassan Martin.
It's not his fault, he's the only answer during his time here, as a
shot blocker, inside player.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

With Hass being 6'7" 235 I actually think Kenneth Faried is a great comparison. Let's not forget Faried played in a worse conference, but looking at their sophomore years the biggest difference is in rebounding. Aside from that there's not a huge difference especially considering the Ohio Valley Conference vs the A-10. Hopefully Hass can continue to improve as Faried did over the next two years. Regardless I absolutely believe he is marketable overseas, more so in the Asian leagues than the European which could absolutely make him rich by the end of his career!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Understand, I'm in no way knocking Hassan Martin.
It's not his fault, he's the only answer during his time here, as a
shot blocker, inside player.
And the counterpoint to that, which sf and bar among others (here and elsewhere) have presented, is that Hassan plays to and is used in a way to highlight his strengths, which would be his game regardless of who he's on the court with.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, in other word, you're implying that he has no
possibility or ability to ever do anything more or different than
what he now does?
Sorry, not buying it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, in other word, you're implying that he has no
possibility or ability to ever do anything more or different than
what he now does?
No, I'm not implying that at all. Potential is a wonderful thing, and players should always be supported in and encouraged to develop their games. It's like EC running the point- maybe there's potential there but don't mess up what he's good at and how he best helps the team at this point by forcing a versatility that isn't quite there yet.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramsman75 wrote:
You miss the point: I didn't question his heart or his accomplishments at URI. Hey, I hope that he becomes 2017-18 NBA Rookie of the Year and averages 17 points and 10 rebounds a game and becomes the next Buck Williams.
I addressed something else, which is people pretending that Hassan Martin to be something else than what he is. It has nothing to do with being a couple of inches taller. If that had been the case, Stanley Wright would have had a long and prosperous career in the NBA with the Celtics, because Red Auerbach loved everything about him and his game.
If one of the greatest Rhode island basketball collegiate players -- Phil Brown of Brown -- had been 3 inches taller does it mean he would have been Marvin Barnes?

If Hassan Martin had another 6'7" Rhody alumnus' skills, yeah, he'd be Sly Williams.
Unfortunately, thus far, he doesn't and he's not.
He is what he is - a great young man with the heart of a lion and I'm thrilled that he's a Ram.
There's no knock on him.
Wake up and learn how to read.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hassan is great.

The way people usually bring ppl to earth in conversations about pro potential is to discuss the people that play that particular position in that pro league.........

So SF... I won't list them. It's a who's-who of the elite talent of the NBA.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

eh em; bress=LAME.....Hassy=GREATNESS.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

To sort of add to this conversation - Yes, you need elite talents to get drafted in the first round if you're undersized for your position. However, plenty of guys make the league from the second round or as an undrafted free agent if they're undersized, but have high-energy / motors. To compare URI prospects for a second here, I think Mathews has a higher "peak" when it comes to NBA potential, but Martin has a higher floor.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:eh em; bress=LAME.....Hassy=GREATNESS.
Heck, Ramsey…. I'm getting my car serviced today, maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the one parked in the handicapped zone. Who will you be today? The guy under Pat Riley's car, the fella looking for Sly's old Lincoln, or the nitwit looking for PeeWee Herman's bicycle -- or the seat next to his at the movie theater?
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

bressler3south wrote:
ramsman75 wrote:
You miss the point: I didn't question his heart or his accomplishments at URI. Hey, I hope that he becomes 2017-18 NBA Rookie of the Year and averages 17 points and 10 rebounds a game and becomes the next Buck Williams.
I addressed something else, which is people pretending that Hassan Martin to be something else than what he is. It has nothing to do with being a couple of inches taller. If that had been the case, Stanley Wright would have had a long and prosperous career in the NBA with the Celtics, because Red Auerbach loved everything about him and his game.
If one of the greatest Rhode island basketball collegiate players -- Phil Brown of Brown -- had been 3 inches taller does it mean he would have been Marvin Barnes?

If Hassan Martin had another 6'7" Rhody alumnus' skills, yeah, he'd be Sly Williams.
Unfortunately, thus far, he doesn't and he's not.
He is what he is - a great young man with the heart of a lion and I'm thrilled that he's a Ram.
There's no knock on him.
Wake up and learn how to read.
Hey Bress...I don't normally engage a point/counterpoint but I just woke up and learned how to read... so maybe you should take your own advice. I didn't miss your point nor did I disagree with your assessment of Hassan's current stage of development. Seriously...Stan Wright and Phil Brown are the best you've got?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Good morning…..The points of reference were local for a reason: one should be familiar to all Rhody fans, and probably isn't; the other, was one of the all-time best R.I. basketball players who had all of the "elite skills" that everyone states that Hassan Martin possesses -- and then some. Most don't even know who he was. It doesn't diminish Martin's accomplishments at all.
However, ramsman75, you're the one questioning if I were serious about what I had written. Yeah, I was. I'm not in for the tit-for-tat, either. (Usually…) Again, I will state this: Hassan Martin's development individually as a "power forward" has been seriously hindered by the lack of a legitimate big man. And that's not on him.
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Fair enough as far as the lack of a legitimate big man hindering his progress. As far as the comparisons to Stan and Phil...not so much. Stan was 6'5" (maybe) and did a little bit of everything well but had no elite individual skills. Phil Brown was a multidimensional player that I would liken to a Claude English type player with a little more offensive polish. Could absolutely jump out of the building. I don't however recall him being a defensive force or a particularly adept shot blocker but then again my memory is not what it once was.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don't understand how the lack of a 6'10 guy has any impact on Hassan's ability to develop a perimeter game or improve his ball handling and passing skills...I am fairly certain the coaching staff encourages that, regardless of what "position" he plays. If he could hit 20 footers I think Dan would give him the green light. One has nothing to do with the other.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Most of you know more about basketball fundamentals then me, so I have a question for you. I always hear people on here say that Hassan's development is being held back by not having a true 5. But it seems like ball handling and shooting are things he could easily practice, and if he possessed those fundamentals at the level he would need to play power foward, couldn't he use them in a game already, even as a 5? It seems like with his lack of height for a 5, but his athleticism, if he could draw other teams' 5's out with ball handling and a good shot that he could be really lethal and unguardable for another 5. I guess that's a long and awkward way of asking, what's stopping him from using a power foward's offensive game right now if he actually posessed it, even if he's technically our center most of the time? Is Hassan truly stuck as a 5 because we don't have other options, or is he stuck at 5 because he doesn't have the skills to play as a 3 or 4 at an effective A10 level?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe the staff's ability, or inability, to develop bigs has affected Hassan's development a little?

With ARD there now, maybe we'll see some new facets of Hassan's game we haven't seen before.

I remember Gil saying that he was doing things in practice that we never saw during games. Let's see if that changes.

If Berry develops into a serviceable 5, then that could open the door for Hassan to play more at the 4, and show some of these skills we haven't seen yet.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

This entire thread reminds me of an expression my grandfather frequently used...

"If a frog had wings he wouldn't have to hop around on his ass"
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, a couple of Martin's teammates say there's a lot more to
his game than he's shown.
Think they might know, because they practice with him daily.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If he could do it he should.

Gil tried to drive from the top of the key at least once each half. What stops Hassan? Probably because he can't/wont(doesn't matter either way).

He's still very young.

The thing about doing things in practice is..... Who is he practicing against? He's our best defender. The rest of the bigs can't cover a bed.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, a couple of Martin's teammates say there's a lot more to
his game than he's shown.
Think they might know, because they practice with him daily.
So I guess the questions become, are those parts of his game not transferring from practice because he's not given that freedom from Dan or because he doesn't feel comfortable enough doing it in a game? And if the answer is he's not comfortable enough, why not?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I remember seeing Jonathan Holton knock down a bunch of threes in practices and highlight videos, so there's that. I do not think Hassan has above average shooting, ball handling and passing skills that he is choosing to not show in games. Those are parts of his game that need to develop, and I am sure when he has the confidence to show those skills in a game he will. If I were him I would focus on being near money from the baseline and foul line, similar to what Kadeem Batts brought to PCs team 2 years ago, he seems wholly capable of that. That alone would give him 3-4 baskets a night and make our offense more dynamic. At times in the past he got the ball in spots like that and didn't even look at the hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is Hassan even a problem? I don't get what this conversation is about - the kid is going to be preseason first team all-conference. Why all the concern about his game?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And preseason Defensive POY i would assume.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

TruePoint wrote:Is Hassan even a problem? I don't get what this conversation is about - the kid is going to be preseason first team all-conference. Why all the concern about his game?
Whether or not he has NBA potential // improvements to his game ... Or that's how this started anyways
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:Is Hassan even a problem? I don't get what this conversation is about - the kid is going to be preseason first team all-conference. Why all the concern about his game?
The short answer = offseason boredom
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

:oops: I thought this thread was about Phil Brown.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

bigappleram wrote:
The short answer = offseason boredom
Can next season start already? We're burning a lot of calories over-analyzing and jumping to conclusions
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's not boredom. It's something frequently discussed.
Nobody has a problem with Hassan Martin. We just feel
he's playing out of position.So what?
Why can't anyone say anything about a player, before it becomes
"You don't like him!"?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can say whatever you want, I was just curious what was driving the discussion. Even NBA all-stars have things in their games that need to be improved, so it's fair to point out things Hassan could get better at. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that he is terrific.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He's my favorite player. He's fun to watch, and always gives 100%,
with no mugging for the camera or chest pounding.
Hassan is all business.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I still wouldn't say he is playing out of position, his skill set is that of a PF/C way moreso than a SF. So its not that he is playing out of position, its that he is undersized for the position he plays.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

As usual, Rod is wrong.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:I still wouldn't say he is playing out of position, his skill set is that of a PF/C way moreso than a SF. So its not that he is playing out of position, its that he is undersized for the position he plays.
And let's be honest, with his skill set, he's not signing with Rhode Island in September of 2012 if he's 6'9", regardless of the relationship they had established with him.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Nobody said anything about Martin playing the SF at this point except to point out that DH envisioned him as that early on, but Martin has clearly been pressed into the Center role out of necessity. What I have been saying all along is I would at least like to see Martin in a more 'traditional' PF spot rather than Center but hey whatever, I guess I don't really care what players consider themselves as long as spacing is good, ball movement is good and we're out-rebounding other teams, as an example, if Iverson is out there as a "guard" but draws and is able to defend the opposing teams 4 then we're good to go.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree Running, Hass developing a consistent shot from 10-15 feet would stretch the defense and make us much more dynamic. He seems totally capable of that.