Game #10: Providence College - Thur Dec 5 @ 8:00pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #10: Providence College - Thur Dec 5 @ 8:00pm ET

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like a few players grew up tonight.

A lesson learned, and it will serve them well in the future.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Tough loss. Cooley took that extra time out at the end and they got the ball out of X's hands. Good move; Cooley can coach.

Great atmosphere tonight. Wish we could have a few more like that. We played tough; scrappy, strong D, just not enough firepower, and can't make the damn foul shots. we need to break thru and win a close game soon; looks like we're going to have a lot of them.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here is the final possession...

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope the students enjoyed the atmosphere tonight to come back and want to do it more often.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Panoramic view from section 209, row B, the seats twisted got me....

Click link for full size...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/1123 ... b678_o.jpg
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well it looks like we are starting to build on things from game to game. If we continue to see improvement conference play is going to be great. Very impressed with the intensity but we are still missing bunnies. That should change as coinfidence grows.

Great talking with Tyson Wheeler at half time. He is doing well.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

did anyone actually see/hear what set off the coaches??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just wish, on that final possession, that we took the ball to the hoop. Just crash the boards and either draw a foul or make a putback.

Without outside scoring options, that's the only way we can score, really. Hurley said as much after the game.

We've gotten smarter and more aggressive on defense, that's great, now do it on offense, especially when it counts.

We know what happens when we stand around and throw up a prayer at the last second. They don't go in.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I liked very much the younger players did not get spooked by the atmosphere, the opponent, the game situational stuff, great learning experience for all....this loss will pay huge dividends down the road in A-10 play....and beyond....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kids played their asses off. It's a shame they weren't rewarded with a W. Still lots of problems on offense and free throws, but I'm not dwelling on negative stuff tonight. Diving for loose balls all over the place, playing so hard on defense, very proud of this team tonight. It's just too bad they didn't win. Hopefully they don't get discouraged. EC will win plenty of games with last shots. He can't let this one get him down.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I actually saw Rod smile

or at least the right side of his mustache quivered up a little bit. He could have been just saying something sarcastic to his daughter. I'll take it. lol
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

section(105) wrote:did anyone actually see/hear what set off the coaches??
From what memory recalls, PC had taken Cotton out of the game. Munford hit a 3 and PC inbounded the ball to Fortune, who is not a ball handler. He started to struggle up the court, so Cooley called time. The whistle was faint (but audible) and Fortune kept running up the court. Just past half court, he and I believe Martin collided. Fortune started back towards the PC huddle and Martin tailed him back in, chirping at him. At that point, Cooley stepped up and did the motion to like calm down. I turned away for like two seconds but it looked like Hurley may have taken offense to that interaction and started towards mid court.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Also very interested. My buddy texted me that Cooley said something to the effect after the game that theres not many fights he is going to lose.

He is a scrappy character. Adds to the rivalry but prefer the battle on the court.

If I had any complaints they would be directed toward our guys sprinting back on D. They seem to never sprint back. Strange.

Cleaned up the turnovers tonight tho!!! I think Hurley's coaching showed well tonight.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yeah, URI lost, but it was a great game. Atmosphere was first class, the students were great and URI played 40 minutes of great defense. I agree that our offense needs to get untracked, but Biruta had an outstanding game and x, while his percentages weren't great, kept it going. I thought TJ really kept Cotton under control. Cotton had 15 points, but 6 of them were 3-pointers off of busted plays.

I would've liked to see X take the final shot; too much pressure for a freshman, and EC had a tough night offensively. He had several shots rim out, but I liked his grittiness. I also liked Hassan Martin's efforts. He's not an offensive threat yet, but I thought he defended Batts pretty well and grabbed some key rebounds.

Outstanding game ....
Slava Ukraini!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

bring back the twice a year... Atmosphere was awesome... Bet it will not be like that again this year.. Fire that rivalry up again!! Tremendous effort on "D" and the boards.. We have to get a shooter somewhere somehow... Almost every dagger PC shot was a 3.. Foul shooting is disastrous.. If your game is predicated on going to the hoop you need to be able to hit FT's.. Encouraging performance, but can't stand losing to PC.. No such thing as a moral victory against that team!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The team took it's biggest step forward of the season so far tonight.

Granted, PC isn't Arizona, but they are a veteran team that plays good defense.

So, more positives than negatives. Once we start making layups and FT's more consistently, we'll win some of these rockfights.

1980, we only shot 12 FT's. We didn't go to the hoop nearly enough. We HAVE to do that to win games. Our outside shooting simply isn't good enough right now.

Offense will take more time to come around, with all the new guys. That part is understandable right now. Defense will have to carry us for the time being.
Last edited by rambone 78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

pc did a good job of preventing the ball from getting inside the lane on the last possession, they went big and long. Got to talk to Rod a lot before the game and had a what they hell moment with him when 2 people between us left with 50 seconds to go...

I'm glad Martin had a break out game and hopes he can build off of it. EC was great and my heart breaks for him on the last possesion (visibly upset and apologized to Hurley)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
From what memory recalls, PC had taken Cotton out of the game. Munford hit a 3 and PC inbounded the ball to Fortune, who is not a ball handler. He started to struggle up the court, so Cooley called time. The whistle was faint (but audible) and Fortune kept running up the court. Just past half court, he and I believe Martin collided. Fortune started back towards the PC huddle and Martin tailed him back in, chirping at him. At that point, Cooley stepped up and did the motion to like calm down. I turned away for like two seconds but it looked like Hurley may have taken offense to that interaction and started towards mid court.
Fortune lowered a foreman in Hassan's throat. That's what set off Hurley.
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Proud of our guys tonight. Hope they don't take the loss too hard. I went in thinking if we could find a way to win we could really build on it, but nervous we might get smashed. Even though we didn't win, I still think we can build on what we did tonight. Put forth that kind if effort and combine it with a little better shooting and we will be a problem for people in the A10.

Also, that Colin Quinn looking ref killed us.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

my dad said they showed it on the news and it looked like Fortune kinda of threw an elbow or pushed off after the whistle and hurley was complaining about that then they started to yell at one another
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Also very interested. My buddy texted me that Cooley said something to the effect after the game that theres not many fights he is going to lose.

He is a scrappy character. Adds to the rivalry but prefer the battle on the court.

If I had any complaints they would be directed toward our guys sprinting back on D. They seem to never sprint back. Strange.

Cleaned up the turnovers tonight tho!!! I think Hurley's coaching showed well tonight.
It's partially right. It was EC who was involved. A PC player was dribbling the ball across the half court line as Cooley called a time out. Multiple whistles were blown and the URI defender peeled off of the PC player to head to the bench while the PC player continued to go right up into the face and chest of EC Mathews and bumped him toward the sideline. EC walked to the URI bench, but on his way he had a couple words towards the PC player that made contact with him long after the whistle had sounded. Hurley went to mid court to talk with the official to (based on his gestures) see what that was about and why the officials didn't call a foul and was deemed to be acceptable for the PC player to make extra contact with EC after the play was dead. Then Hurley and Cooley got into a shouting match over it. Hurley had every right to complain.
I'm not surprised Hurley took exception to the thuggish behavior. I'm proud of the way Rhody played. They fought PC and the officials all night long and for them to have even a chance to win that game was pretty impressive given how badly the officials were suckling Cooley's teat all night long.
Last edited by The Dude 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:pc did a good job of preventing the ball from getting inside the lane on the last possession, they went big and long. Got to talk to Rod a lot before the game and had a what they hell moment with him when 2 people between us left with 50 seconds to go...

I'm glad Martin had a break out game and hopes he can build off of it. EC was great and my heart breaks for him on the last possesion (visibly upset and apologized to Hurley)
I think I was sitting right behind you. The two people who left were sitting just to my left. I was in 207 B3. Those two people just sat there the whole game, did not stand up once. I couldn't even tell what team they were rooting for. I'm not sure why they were there.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I have been disappointed by this team in practically every previous game, I feel they did an outstanding job against PC in practically all aspects of game other than shooting, especially FT's. And how about the effort to match PC on rebounding 35-35! Let's hope the shots start to drop and this team gets on winning streak. If that happens and there is no letdown in the road trip to Detroit, we have a good shot to win 4 of the next five. 10-5 going into conference play will be a big booster.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

you were, I was 207 a 4
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fortune is a chippy player for sure.

TP, why is it we shot less FT's than them, on our own court? OK, our lack of offensive aggressiveness at times certainly made it easier for PC to sit back without fouling. That part I understand.

But it ALWAYS seems like we get one ref who gets us. At home no less. Someday........
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i thought the refs were awful the entire game both ways. way too much contact. cotton was bumped at the top of the key on nearly every possession and it was called once. you guys scored like 38 of 49 points in the paint... can't believe there weren't more fouls there on our lazy frontcourt. the refs let a lot go both ways... so to say they were suckling cooley's teat is asinine.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

agreed peeps, they missed a lot then the crowd really got upset when they then called a ticky tack foul (hand check or bp). They missed a lot of calls both ways but weren't too bad
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I thought it was EC that got involved in that incident as well.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Peeps, my thoughts exactly. Cotton was fouled every time up and down the court. I think both teams got an And1 on a blatant travel. The refs gave URI a quick whistle TO on a jump ball in the 2nd half, but not the first. They let tons of contact go under the basket, but then would call ticky tack holds, both ways. The call on Batts was a good one IMHO, but because they didn't call it consistently, looks crappy. Awful officiated game both ways. As the PC announcers said post game, both teams combine for roughly 52 FTs, but only took 26 tonight.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got back.
Here's my take...
Whoever drew up that final play should be fired.
Munford should have kept the ball and drove to the basket.
GBG should be happy, Munford was 1-2 fron 3 and Matthews was 0-4.
Whatever.
Martin got 4 blocks and 5 rebounds and was a live body all night.
I thought PC would kill us inside, and it never happened.
Everyone did a good job on Cotton, but he's tough.
Biruta came to play. The whole team did.
I think I'd rather lose by 10 than think, if we didn't shoot 50% at the line,
or one of those in and out shots went down, we'd all be celebrating.
Scout board is slamming Hurley for his conduct and last play.
Oh, and those clowns think Cooley would easily win a fight with Dan.
I'll take the conditioned Jersey City guy, over the
unhealthy Providence guy, any day.
All petty stuff, anyway. My dad can beat your dad.....
I think the fat ref sucked ass, all night long. Some ridiculous calls and
non calls.
When the red lights went on it was such an empty feeling.
I was sure we were going to win.
What a super atmosphere at the Ryan Center.
This shows what an advantage a full house there can be.
Couple of people left with a minute left. Twisted and I looked at each other in disbelief.
Fans?
Hey Billyboy, I sit in 207 C 1. I was the big mouth with the megaphone yelling at the refs all night.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not a pretty game to watch but certainly can't fault the effort. This was the first game where it seemed they played hard for all 40 minutes. Last possession was horrible from the inbound to the last shot. Really needed to drive to basket. Since PC was still in the one and one with 8 fouls, I would not have waited until the end so that we could have possibly had multiple scoring opportunities.

Got to shoot ft's a bit better or else they will be on the wrong end of many close games.

Was very surprised by the small showing of Friar fans and the fact they made little noise. There was a good number of single game tickets made available to the general public so they have no excuse.

Several hundred URI students in line outside were turned away and never got in. My nephew was one of them. Seems to have thought all URI students were guaranteed a seat. I guess math is not one of his strong points as not all 14k students can fit in a 7,657 seat venue. I feel bad for him that he missed it but he should have known better and got there much earlier.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

you guys seem like you are where i was with pc a year ago. right on the precipice of getting things back in line. just hope no one gets injured, everyone goes to class, and no one gets suspended for their sexual escapades.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, that was you Rod. I heard you comparing the refs to the Johnston landfill. You weren't alone. I was yelling at the refs a lot too. The voice is a little hoarse right now.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Billyboy78 wrote:I was in 207 B3. Those two people just sat there the whole game, did not stand up once. I couldn't even tell what team they were rooting for. I'm not sure why they were there.
They probably didn't know why they were there either.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Sat in front of 2 PC guys, and one of them (the know it all Sean?) thought every call for us was wrong and every one against was right.
Exciting game with great defensive play, but poor offensive play, as usual. The forearm by fortune should have been a T, and I agree that's what set Hurley off. Cooley didn't see it but was overeacting to Dan.
One thing about standing up and cheering. I didn't mind standing in front of the PC guys, but when there were only 20 seconds left, and my wife and I were standing, 4 RAM fans were telling us to sit. We ended up out by the stairs to do our cheering. Blue Man was right. They were oldtimers ( I'm in my late 60's), who gave us the look every time we stood. Next year I'm moving to 205.
Lastly, I thought Martin played with a lot more intensity than I have seen from him before.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

peeps4life wrote:you guys seem like you are where i was with pc a year ago. right on the precipice of getting things back in line. just hope no one gets injured, everyone goes to class, and no one gets suspended for their sexual escapades.
I hope we can go on a run like PC did last year
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, my throat is sore from yelling. I asked the ref where his seeing eye dog was.
My daughter sat next to some guy whose son goes to URI but is a PC fan (told you about those)
and didn't know anything about basketball. Ugh!
Peeps, it's a frustrating journey to where we'd like our programs to be.
We want it to happen yesterday, and it just doesn't work that way.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the refs let them play both ways. agree cotton was bumped a lot of the night. but we had a few plays at the rim where our guys got killed, one specifically where carson fouled EC blatantly and they let it go. no way refs had anything to do with it tonight.

last play was meant for X to shoot, PC jumped the screen, double teamed him and forced him to give it up....Cooley said that was the strategy in the post-game. EC had to make a play there and fell short, all good he will have many opportunities to redeem himself.

didnt turn the ball over and got a lot of opportunities in the lane...not sure what you are talking about Rambone, we rarely shot from the perimeter. everything we scored was inside, and even with that we missed another 6-7 layups. X and EC had a couple threes all but in the hoop and then popped out. Biggie with 5 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals, i will take that. had 1 bad pass all night, late in the game. biruta showed what he can do and hassan with easily his best effort as a Ram. TJ is TJ, our most consistent player. Jarell where are you?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

twisted3829 wrote:
peeps4life wrote:you guys seem like you are where i was with pc a year ago. right on the precipice of getting things back in line. just hope no one gets injured, everyone goes to class, and no one gets suspended for their sexual escapades.
I hope we can go on a run like PC did last year
URI will be real tough if they get 75% that crowd every night. That crowd tonight was awesome! Student body I thought was fantastic.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I totally agree with Rod in reference to the last play. Was it even a play? It looked like Munford running back and forth just hoping something would open.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

RAM67 wrote:Sat in front of 2 PC guys, and one of them (the know it all Sean?) thought every call for us was wrong and every one against was right.
Exciting game with great defensive play, but poor offensive play, as usual. The forearm by fortune should have been a T, and I agree that's what set Hurley off. Cooley didn't see it but was overeacting to Dan.
One thing about standing up and cheering. I didn't mind standing in front of the PC guys, but when there were only 20 seconds left, and my wife and I were standing, 4 RAM fans were telling us to sit. We ended up out by the stairs to do our cheering. Blue Man was right. They were oldtimers ( I'm in my late 60's), who gave us the look every time we stood. Next year I'm moving to 205.
Lastly, I thought Martin played with a lot more intensity than I have seen from him before.
cooley actually did see it because EC followed fortune after the TO and cooley put his hands up and told EC to stop and go the other way as if cooler heads needed to prevail there.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

For the last play, the PC assistant responsible for scouting talked about it in the postgame. Said they knew it was coming because that was URIs "go-to" play against George Mason in the last 8 mins. They got beat by it a few times earlier in the 2nd when they weren't ready for it, but when they saw the personnel on the floor, they knew exactly what was going to happen.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Preston said after the game it was Munford to drive the lane but couldn't get in and when in trouble to have EC get the ball
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What he saw in my opinion was EC 's reaction, not Fortunes elbow, that occured after play had stopped. A clear T.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was old school jcru tonight. You would have thought I pounded 2 screwdrivers before heading to the game. I was nearly as loud as I was back in the day in Keaney. I think it was sitting two rows behind the students in the endzone that did it.

I just want to say, as a formal apology. I'm responsible for this loss. Everytime I yelled Gil's name in the second half before he attempted a FT, he made it. The two times I got lazy, he missed. It would have been the difference, and I'm sorry.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I see everyone is down about that last play, and rightly so. So am I.

However, it wasn't one play that beat us.

It was the tentative offense, missed layups [both teams missed them, but we missed more, a LOT more], and poor FT shooting, AGAIN.

These things can be fixed. I'm sure Dan is going to wear them out over the next few weeks before conference play starts. However, I'm not sure O is going to ever be a great FT shooter. The guards should be better, though. They're the ones who are going to shoot more of them with the dribble drive offense. No excuses, or we're going to lose more games like this.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about the non goaltending call on Munford's shot in the first half?
It was clearly touched out of the cylinder. Somehow Munford wound up with a one and one and missed
the free throw.
A really botched play by the refs.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Rod I thought it had rolled/spun out before anyone touched it. I could be wrong
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Harris's tip in on the other hand was definitely goaltending and they let it go. Dont get me wrong, they missed a bunch of calls, I think it went both ways though.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It looked from my seats that the refs may have missed an offensive goaltending call on PC in the 2nd half. I thought a PC player touched the ball while in the cylinder on a score.