Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, correct. So let's not look at the last 2 games to make silly comments referencing the differential over such a small sample. We can all agree that the series is very even since Jerry D was dumped for CFL and even before.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Hell, seanmc94, then why even bother? Not worth the effort to get all lathered-up about it. ;)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Oh, so we only beat Welsh's and Davis' weak teams, and their better teams in alternating years, won?
I seem to remember Dustin Helenga going crazy at the PCC, and beating a very highly
favored PC team. We won the following year, too.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Correct; and the last 3 years youve been run out of the gym. Dustin hellenga? Wasn't that like 7 years ago?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wasn't Tim Welsh coach 7 years ago? YOU mentioned his name, not me.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:Correct; and the last 3 years youve been run out of the gym. Dustin hellenga? Wasn't that like 7 years ago?
I think all URI fans will admit that the latter of the Baron years and the remnants of his huge mess have not been a particularly good time for URI MBB.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

How can PC fan's get mad at being called mid-major? PC now plays in Conference USA, you don't see Tulsa fans getting upset because they were called mid-major do you?
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Who's upset at being called a mid major?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

When a college hoops program attains greatness, no one calls it "a mid-major, a non-BCS school," etc., It's called "a model-program, a powerhouse," etc., Maybe someday, it will be called "a dynasty."
Think big. Dream bigger. Do it better.
Get used to it, because the Captain has charted the course. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI is going to have a great basketball program, then it will need to be able to withstand head coaching changes. While I believe that DH will lead us to greatness, I really don't see him staying for long once this happens.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote:If URI is going to have a great basketball program, then it will need to be able to withstand head coaching changes. While I believe that DH will lead us to greatness, I really don't see him staying for long once this happens.
I do not understand the point of this post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billybiy, it's just '72 being his Mr. Negative self.
Get used to it, for the forseeable future.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody72 wrote:If URI is going to have a great basketball program, then it will need to be able to withstand head coaching changes. While I believe that DH will lead us to greatness, I really don't see him staying for long once this happens.
I told you already once, NO MORE FAMILIAR PRONOUNS!!! You are not an US are a THEM...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

One day-at-a-time, Nicky. One day-at-a-time…..
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

One day-at-a-time, Nicky. One day-at-a-time…..
But remember this: When you get to Heaven and God greets you, and then you look around and frown, he's going to ask you: "What's wrong, my son?" Please don't answer, "I expected better….Oh, yeah….by the way…Rumor has it that You're leaving for a better gig." :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't look forward to Heaven with an interim God.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

C'mon, ramfan85!!!!! It's been 5,773 years since that tag's been yanked!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Acting God?..lol
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per Bill Reynolds' Projo Saturday Column (06-22-13):

The word is URI will play at Georgetown in basketball in the upcoming season.

I would like to think that Reynolds got some sort of confirmation. My gut however tells me all he did was read this board so it is still just speculation. Journal sports staff members don't like to work for their stories.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So, Bill didn't say "per a team source"? He just said "the word is" ? Such crap journalism.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Uh oh, probably shouldnt have booked that non-refundable flight!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC and Zona in late fall/early winter still worth the trip.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Blue Man's reluctance to come completely clean appears to be well founded.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hoping for both Zona and Gtown
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Billyboy78 wrote:
It's just the way of college hoops. There are 10 times as many Dan Monsons as there are Mark Fews. Hopefully, DH stays 30 years but expecting that is sort of foolish. He's on the path to leaving URI way, way, way better off than when he came here. All you can really ask. I mean, unless Rhody can pony up $2.6/yr million like Memphis did for Josh Pastner. Guy hasn't even gotten to the S16 and he's getting that dough. I think he might only have one NCAA tourney win. Crazy.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
It's just the way of college hoops. There are 10 times as many Dan Monsons as there are Mark Fews. Hopefully, DH stays 30 years but expecting that is sort of foolish. He's on the path to leaving URI way, way, way better off than when he came here. All you can really ask. I mean, unless Rhody can pony up $2.6/yr million like Memphis did for Josh Pastner. Guy hasn't even gotten to the S16 and he's getting that dough. I think he might only have one NCAA tourney win. Crazy.
I think he is saying he doesn't understand the post, not the concept behind it. What does what you and R72 are saying have to do with the 2013-14 schedule?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Ahhh. Good point. Was just responding to the question.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The NIT Season Tip-Off Arizona pod is still unannounced. My guess is that it is still a possibility. DiSano's tweet was after Reynolds mentioned the Georgetown game. Our local "journalists" tend to be lazy and don't really investigate things. I would not be surprised that all Reynolds had was what he saw here and the info was wrong. Would seem plausible. Furthermore, the Hoyas don't usually play team like URI in non-tourney OOC games. They tend to play the extremes of college hoops and stay away from mid tier teams (such as URI and other A-10 like schools).
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm interested in the tweet, myself.

I said one game was solid and one was still being worked. I haven't heard anything to make me think that's not accurate.

That being said I'm not confirming or denying anything said here. Or am I?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Running Blue Man for Governor, with his answers, would seem like a winner.
How about it, Blue Man? Take on Governor Goofy in 2014?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Haha I've certainly kept my word more than he has.

I'd fit in well in RI politics.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Per Bill Reynolds' Projo Saturday Column (06-22-13):
"The word is URI will play at Georgetown in basketball in the upcoming season."

I would like to think that Reynolds got some sort of confirmation. My gut however tells me all he did was read this board so it is still just speculation. Journal sports staff members don't like to work for their stories.
I've highlighted the most likely scenario, RF. Certainly no confirmation was obtained.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Blue Man, don't even think of it!!!! It's a trap -- you'd become "CFL!" (Corrupt For Life!) :o
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Think of the perks, Blue Man!
Your own State Trooper body guard, and driver.
A State car.
Lots of free trips for BS conferences. Meet lots of interesting people.
Wow!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Running for office here is pretty easy. With the usual 100 candidates, if you can get about a dozen votes, you'll win. Just ask "The Missing" Linc.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I want URI to have a perennially strong basketball program. To accomplish this, we need an athletic administration and a fan base with this expectation which requires making the necessary financial commitments. We've been on the roller coaster too long. We get a hot coach and do well, the coach leaves, and we go on the cheap with his successor and the program falters. I enjoy the good times and dread the bad times. I think DH is the real deal, but I felt the same way about JK, TP and JH. History shows that I'm a realist unless there is some reason to believe that this time is different.
NCAAs or Bust!
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Previous eras/errors were with administrations/ADs whose slogans were "Think Small: We Do." With Bjorn, et al, this has a different feel. The financial ramifications in the long term are much more front and center as well. With Kraft and Penders it was a flash in the pan experience; Harrick was a "rent a coach/rehab" right from the start. Coach Hurley will NOT be at URI forever. This is the reality of modern collegiate hoops. He will, however, be here long enough for our mutual gain. WIth Rhody on the right path we should be in a position to attract the best available coach, rather that settling.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

New Hampshire RamFan: Coach Kraft wasn't any flash-in-the-pan. He coached URI from the 1973-74 season to 1980-81. His last season lasted one game, because of ill-health.
If one wants to point fingers at the era, look no further than Mo Zarchen, who had great moments and not-so-great moments. Let's just say that if he had had Thorr Bjorn's "cultured and cultivated mind" and "Big Picture Exterior," lots of great things may have been done in Kingston. But he loathed Smith Hill and vice-versa. There were nearly 5-6 years during the '70's in all sports, basketball, wrestling, football, that URI really did well.
"Zarch" had a great way with the ordinary person, glad-handing, a slap on the back, constructive "small talk," and so on. The trunk of his car was like Sports Authority, filled with athletic-gear, which he loved to give away to enthusiastic kids and all-around Ram fans.
BlueMan, now there's a political model for you!!!! 8-)
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

B3S - perhaps I should have said one hit wonder or even "an anomoly." My point was that we had a great coach, but there was zero committment to continue on an upward slope. I am well aware of Kraft's duration and legacy...unfortunately, it went nowhere after that. Same with TP and JH. A line graph of our hoops program would look like sound waves. I prefer an upward 45 degree angle, which is what I feel we can now look forward to seeing.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NH, I basically agree with your overall point, but I don't think you can say the program went nowhere after Penders. It did snag briefly, but overall Skinner's tenure was good if not great, and it led directly into the Harrick era. So to me, that was probably the best run for the program in modern times, and its only because we blew the transition from Harrick that the program regressed. If we had handled that better the program could have been on a continuous upward trajectory since Penders.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jack Kraft was the greatest modern era coach ever at URI.
Is it weren't for his heart attack, he'd have coached until
he retired normally.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

TruePoint wrote:NH, I basically agree with your overall point, but I don't think you can say the program went nowhere after Penders. It did snag briefly, but overall Skinner's tenure was good if not great, and it led directly into the Harrick era. So to me, that was probably the best run for the program in modern times, and its only because we blew the transition from Harrick that the program regressed. If we had handled that better the program could have been on a continuous upward trajectory since Penders.
I see your point; but don't feel in hindsight that Al kept the trajectory. It was more of a holding pattern. Good coach; and an even better person; but the drive and ambition to achieve more seemed lacking. Even moreso now in retrospect. Whenever an opening occurs and he is discussed as an option this is cited as a flaw in what he brings to the table.

Back on topic: this is the most excited I've been in a long time for the schedule to be released. The sooner we know, the sooner tix can be purchased!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I hope I didn't get out-gunned on priority points and lose my seats to a bigger-wigged booster!
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:NH, I basically agree with your overall point, but I don't think you can say the program went nowhere after Penders. It did snag briefly, but overall Skinner's tenure was good if not great, and it led directly into the Harrick era. So to me, that was probably the best run for the program in modern times, and its only because we blew the transition from Harrick that the program regressed. If we had handled that better the program could have been on a continuous upward trajectory since Penders.
I see your point; but don't feel in hindsight that Al kept the trajectory. It was more of a holding pattern. Good coach; and an even better person; but the drive and ambition to achieve more seemed lacking. Even moreso now in retrospect. Whenever an opening occurs and he is discussed as an option this is cited as a flaw in what he brings to the table.

Back on topic: this is the most excited I've been in a long time for the schedule to be released. The sooner we know, the sooner tix can be purchased!
But Al is 20 years on from when he was at URI. Fact is that he assembled that 1998 team, and he danced with less talented teams before that.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Touché, TruePoint. 8-)
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Lets not forget Al played at Keaney and recruited out of a trailer. Considering what he had to work with
( that administration and facilities) I think Al did a great job.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Rhode Island Luke Murray 4018744566 lukemurray@uri.edu Looking to fill our last remaining game... Home/Home series starting at Rhode Island... Dates are Nov. 15-16 and Dec. 14-15 2013-2014, Home & Home 2013-06-12 13:11:17

Apparently as of 6-12 we only needed 1 game left to fill out our schedule. How is it that we know so little about OOC games?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody Guy wrote:Rhode Island Luke Murray 4018744566 lukemurray@uri.edu Looking to fill our last remaining game... Home/Home series starting at Rhode Island... Dates are Nov. 15-16 and Dec. 14-15 2013-2014, Home & Home 2013-06-12 13:11:17

Apparently as of 6-12 we only needed 1 game left to fill out our schedule. How is it that we know so little about OOC games?
The schedule has really been much more of a mystery this year than season's past. The ending of a lot of series contracts was a part of it but it is still strange that things have not leaked out (either at URI or the opponet schools). We are in the dark more this year than I can ever recall.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Saw this post on Rivals from a Hoya fan:

Re: Post Your 2013-14 Out Of Conference schedule so far Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neutral:
The Puerto Rico Shootout (3 of Michigan, Florida St, K-State, VCU, Charlotte, Auburn, LBSU)
Vs. Oregon to start the season

Road:

@ Kansas

Home:
UTEP
Rhode Island