New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree with not having the Midwest schools. StLouis is out there all by themselves in the A10 next season, with Butler leaving. If Dayton goes this year too, they are REALLY out there alone.

Just stay in the Northeast and Atlantic coast down to Virginia.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, don't agree on geography. ramster, the Big East collapsed because it was a hybrid league with football and basketball schools. It had absolutely nothing to do with geography. The new Big East will have even a bigger geography with Creighton.

I like URI associated with schools outside the footprint. It gets our name in places where we we are unknown. One of the major aspects in all of the re-alignment moves since Arkansas began the process back in 1991 when they left the old Southwest Conference was to get out of sphere which was Texas oriented into a bigger footprint stretching from the Gulf to the Atlantic. This is exactly the reason why Richmond left the CAA (too many Virginia schools at the time) and why the Yankee Conference blew up, etc. The A-10 has to think big.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, don't agree on geography. ramster, the Big East collapsed because it was a hybrid league with football and basketball schools. It had absolutely nothing to do with geography. The new Big East will have even a bigger geography with Creighton.

I like URI associated with schools outside the footprint. It gets our name in places where we we are unknown. One of the major aspects in all of the re-alignment moves since Arkansas began the process back in 1991 when they left the old Southwest Conference was to get out of sphere which was Texas oriented into a bigger footprint stretching from the Gulf to the Atlantic. This is exactly the reason why Richmond left the CAA (too many Virginia schools at the time) and why the Yankee Conference blew up, etc. The A-10 has to think big.
I suppose it is to our disadvantage to lose games in an area adjacent to Michigan where we have a super link to HS Basketball with Preston. You are right about the geography having some advantages.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Katz said this morning that it's a done deal, X and Butler are gone, and Creighton gets the nod as the 10th team in the BE.

He also said that expansion could happen down the road, but no timetable was specified. Richmond was mentioned as a possible addition also. Would that leave out Dayton?

We keep Dayton and StLouis, for now. 12 teams. Will the A10 add 2 more? Siena and GM?

They can't just sit back and wait for the above 2 to leave, imo.

There's another rumor that says StLouis might bolt for the MVC, and take Creighton's place, if they aren't included in the BE after next season. Geography rules.

That would mean we could lose Dayton AND Richmond, along with StLouis. Then what would happen with VCU? Talk about dominoes. The A10 has to do something, and quick. This sucks, it really does.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I've been saying the MVC would be a competitor for teams...just didn't see St Louis as a/the target (but not a surprise). From a scheduling and rivalry standpoint, a 10 team conference seems to be the right amount...hopefully the BEC7 and fox will come to that same conclusion. In that case we lose X, Butler and St Louis...
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RIFan wrote:I've been saying the MVC would be a competitor for teams...just didn't see St Louis as a/the target (but not a surprise). From a scheduling and rivalry standpoint, a 10 team conference seems to be the right amount...hopefully the BEC7 and fox will come to that same conclusion. In that case we lose X, Butler and St Louis...
Majerus always wanted them in the MVC
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Let's look at the big picture here. One of the most important criterion in re-formulating a new A-10 is the need to assemble the most attractive league as possible because that is the best route to attract a good TV contract. And the new Fox deal with the BE is a perfect example of that importance in drawing in new members. If member schools are obsessed with travel costs for their Olympic sports then their mindset is not big enough and frankly, this is the perfect way to get rid of schools who are weak in their athletics commitment.

When the dust settles on realignment and you look at the conferences, the top three basketball focused conferences will be the new Big East, the A-10, and the MVC. Some pieces of the Ohio Valley and Horizon League will also be of higher performance. Yes, losing three schools will diminish the A-10, but make no mistake the new BE is also diminished versus its former self and if the A-10 hopes to keep multi NCAA bids a reality then it must always strive to improve. That is why I think some combo of the A-10 and MVC will be a stronger competitor. The BE is not invincible, essentially, it is a much richer version of the Metro Atlantic which is Rider and nine Catholic schools over an eastern footprint, so the new BE is Butler and nine Catholic schools over a wider geography.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm not a fan of just having Eastern teams in the league. There isn't enough quality teams to add. I'd love to see the A10 hook up with the MVC for a 2 division conference. It would expand interest and recruiting. Of course, I also want to dump Fordham and maybe Duquesne. The lack of commitment from Fordham over the years really pisses me off.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

My preferred scenario also would include a merger of the remaining MVC and A10 teams, not including Duquesne and Fordham (no matter what happens, I want them out - they have added nothing since the day they joined). If we can add teams, I don't see why we can't drop teams as well...

On an MVC fan site, they talk about adding Dayton or St Louis, if either is left out of the BE. They also mention many of the same teams we mention as possible additions.
Last edited by RIFan 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No A-10 games but I have the ACC Tourney game NCSU vs Miami from Greensboro, NC on THREE different channels in a MA/RI border town.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How about the Big Ten game MSU-Iowa, nowhere to be found last night.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Hopefull Coach Hurley will be able to get strong OOC schedule going and help mitigate in some respect the weaker A10
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Anyone looking for a good laugh, go read the Canisius Voyforum board.
A long thread about them possibly joining the A-10.
These are the kind of people Dan Hurley would refer to as,
"Delusional and sick!"
The best part are the comments putting the A-10 down as
not any better than the MAAC, with the teams leaving.
Like they have teams like VCU, UMass, and Lasalle, all NCAA bound.
One winning season in ten years and these clowns are drunk with
power. Amazing!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Hey Rod,

What conference is Charlotte going to? Conference USA right?

Got directed over to their site (because of the NIT matchup) and there were a bunch of people talking about how they were so happy to be leaving the A-10 now that it was falling apart for a better conference.

Got a huge LOL out of that one. Playing with basketball powers Middle Tennessee, Louisiana Tech (who both had good years but aren't great progarms), Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Old Dominion, Texas San-Antonio, Tulsa, UTEP, Marshall, Rice, Southern Miss, and UAB would really get my blood going.

Delusional fans really do exist everywhere.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don't get that move, either. CUSA is hollow, especially with ODU hitting the skids.
Big, athletic team, which beat us more soundly than most on our schedule, who were
higher rated than Charlotte.
Not the walkover some PC fans seem to think.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

wouldn't be surprised to see the a10 go to division or 2 pod with 12 teams where you play everyone in your division/pod twice and the other teams once for 16 games
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ODU and Charlotte made the move to C-USA because of football. ODU started its football on a gradual plan, playing indy, then going FCS and now FBS. Charlotte's start-up is more ambitious. Among knowledgeable people involved with their basketball program including their media followers, despite happy faces no one believes that Charlotte BB will be in a better conference. That is a biased view held by some Charlotte fans only.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Much of the internet chatter has the A-10 eventually adding George Mason and Siena should the league get down to 10 members (assuming that Xavier and Butler leave after this season and two teams leave one year later). It assumes that the entire western group of the A-10 leaves thus shifting the focus back on the east.

If GMU is added, I personally would like a northern team. If the Patriots joined the A-10, we would have two Richmond teams, two DC metro teams, and two Philly teams thus concentrating much of the league in the Philly to Richmond corridor. A northern school would help balance that. Adding Siena and GMU would also balance the membership type as one is a small Catholic while the other is a large public. Both the Saints and Patriots play in large arenas, draw well, and have had some NCAA success.

I myself like the conference returning to its northeast roots given what is transpiring with other regional teams. With many northeast teams part of far flung leagues and the Big East becoming midwest oriented, the A-10 could position itself well in this region.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some info here from a Siena site. Claims "sources close to the A10" say they want to add George Mason and Siena as early as next season.

Kind of what alot of us have thought already anyway, but still interesting to see is coming from "sources". Personally I think I'd be pretty happy with these additions (considering the circumstances at least).

http://4guysinblazers.com/could-the-sai ... e-a10/6924
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I aspire to one day be a "source with knowledge of the situation." Not sure exactly what the situation would be but dare to dream.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Adding 2 Eastern schools probably means StL and Dayton are going to leave, too. I sure hope VCU stays.
What I'd give to hear some goos news for a change..
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

I think Siena is talking about the following

CBS New York Webpage

"- Realignment chatter continues to focus on the Atlantic 10 targeting George Mason, possibly for as early as the 2013-14 season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation. With Butler and Xavier set to join the new Big East and Temple set to begin play in “America 12″, George Mason gives the Atlantic 10 another strong basketball school in a solid market. The other school we’re hearing that the league could target? Siena."

I think the CAA board believes the same thing but the source was one of their posters (DistrictBaller) which must have some type of inside source.

I doubt that A10 will add Cleveland State but I feel it is not to far away and has potential.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RF1 wrote:Much of the internet chatter has the A-10 eventually adding George Mason and Siena should the league get down to 10 members (assuming that Xavier and Butler leave after this season and two teams leave one year later). It assumes that the entire western group of the A-10 leaves thus shifting the focus back on the east.

If GMU is added, I personally would like a northern team. If the Patriots joined the A-10, we would have two Richmond teams, two DC metro teams, and two Philly teams thus concentrating much of the league in the Philly to Richmond corridor. A northern school would help balance that. Adding Siena and GMU would also balance the membership type as one is a small Catholic while the other is a large public. Both the Saints and Patriots play in large arenas, draw well, and have had some NCAA success.

I myself like the conference returning to its northeast roots given what is transpiring with other regional teams. With many northeast teams part of far flung leagues and the Big East becoming midwest oriented, the A-10 could position itself well in this region.
The problem is that there aren't any quality northeast teams left unless you want to convince UConn to be a FB only member of the America 12 . BU and NE certainly are not A10 material.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If Fox is to be a legit competitor against ESPN -- they would have to offer more CBB than just the Big East. The next most attractive conferences are MWC A10 MVC. I like the A10 the most but obviously biased.

I think we have to appease SLU if we can with more members not along I95. SLU has such a great commitment and they could be final 4 team this year.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The leagues that will provide members for the A-10 will be ones that have their own issues of stability. I don't put the MAAC in that category nor do I put the MVC there also. Both of these leagues will survive the departure of one member. The better teams in the Horizon and the CAA are a different matter. The MAC is a league with lots of questions, but it survives because it has FCS football and schools in the conference that may want to move to a better basketball league are hamstrung because their football has no place to go.

The most ideal scenario would be to put together a new league that would rival the new Big East in size and scope. This league cannot be only an east based league because of what URI96 said - there are few quality teams left in the East. The Midwest has several so the new geography has to include them. The attraction for them is access to the eastern media markets and a tournament held in metro NYC. Forming such a new super conference might attract a network deal to rival the new Fox one.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

They actually have internet in the Midwest now. Midwest programs know that St. Louis will almost certainly be leaving the A-10 and Dayton most likely too, leaving zero mid-west teams in the A-10.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe in a couple of years when we possibly become a top 25 program, we will be the school bolting for a bigger conference....the dream scenario, more money for the school, more money for the coaching staff, the Hurleys are here long term. Are there any reasons to believe that this cannot happen?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We are stuck unless another basketball only league emerges better than the A10 and is in relative proximity, besides the new BE. I don't see them adding us ever, unless Fox makes them.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I wish I knew what StL and Dayton are going to do. I definitely think that the A10 would be stronger if we looked towards the Midwest for expansion, rather than the East. I don't know if that would help to keep those two schools or not. But, either way, there are stronger programs there than here.
There just aren't any teams available in the east that would strengthen the league. Unless, of course, UCONN would join for BB.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody's new slogan: "Be part of the Core Four!"
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree with most of what Katz says, especially the part about 10/12 being the right size for conferences and not expanding just for the sake of it. However, something has to be done about the bottom 2 or 3 programs in the league. If we could swap those out for 3 teams that fit with our league geographically and culturally that would be ideal in my mind.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Agree that a lot hinges on the futures of Saint Louis and Dayton. I don't necessarily like that, but it's a fair enough assessment.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agree about the bottom 2 needing to go. Not every schools is going to be a power, but you want schools that are going to at least try and be in the mix on a regular basis.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The geographical concern about St Louis is more of a problem for St Louis's travel budget than it is for the rest of the A10.

It takes longer to get to SBU than SLU for URI and for most of the rest of the A10. It is travel time and cost rather than distance that matters.

A conference based on religion just blows my mind. What a stupid idea. They can try to sell it as a basketball mainly conference, but it is what it is. I think SLU would be wise to steer clear. The New BE has a real PR problem that will kill them financially. What major non-catholic institution would join that circus? No wonder ND ran to the ACC. SLU will leave the A10 sooner rather than later.
NCAAs or Bust!
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Let's see what happens in the next week or so but I would guess the A10 will be adding 2 teams. This not in a hurry stuff makes sense only if they are no good teams to pick up but I thought McGlade already mentioned there are some good teams out there based on the search the A10 did last year for teams. Not in a hurry might help in negotiations of terms when adding a new team.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This just occurred to me while watching NCAA today .... how about Valparaiso? They've got a decent history and would provide a Midwest partner to SLU and Dayton.
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another school to consider is Belmont. This is a school with a growing academic reputation with a broad array of offerings - pharmacy, law, a big music school - and has over 6,500 students. Belmont has a very nice though small 5,000 seat basketball arena. Most important they are in a market of some size for the A-10 - Nashville. Would make a good travel partner for Saint Louis and Dayton. Also, I'm sure that they would be interested in moving their program up a notch.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

If SLU and Dayton stay I don't think the A10 makes any moves, if they drop to 10 I think they add 2 to get back to 12
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:If SLU and Dayton stay I don't think the A10 makes any moves, if they drop to 10 I think they add 2 to get back to 12

If there is thought that the SLU and Dayton (or Richmond) moves are not probable in the next year, I would agree that the A-10 might not act imemdiately. If the legue however feels that it is a near certainty they are soon gone, they might want to move quickly tobrace themselves. I think 12 is the optimum number.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the problem. It's the uncertainty surrounding SLU and Dayton or even Richmond, that makes it tough for the A10 to decide what to do.

I also think they should add at least 2 more teams, and sooner rather than later. If the A10 waits another year to see what the above teams do, it might be too late.

Subtracting 2 teams, such as StB and Fordham, makes a lot of sense too. If possible, they need to address that soon.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

My concern Is St Louis and or Dayton will be courted by the MVC. With the defections, we are not that far apart from the MVC anymore.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:My concern Is St Louis and or Dayton will be courted by the MVC. With the defections, we are not that far apart from the MVC anymore.

Don't forget that the MVC is greatly diminished as well by losing Creighton.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SLU might go to the MVC, if they find out that they aren't going to the BE anytime soon.

Unless the A10 adds some good Midwest schools.

If SLU goes, that opens the door for Richmond, who Georgetown wants, to possibly go to the BE, along with Dayton.

That's all worst case scenario. Let's hope none of that happens.

The ball, as they say, is in the A10's court. I don't see them standing pat.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also read the Dayton board this AM, and some there are worrying that X might try and keep Dayton out of the new BE, if they were to expand again.

They're not happy at all. They are bemoaning the fact that the Brian Gregory era, kept them out of the BE at least for now. As in their mediocre record the last 10 years or so.

Like us with Baron.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

74, the new "Core Four" will be VCU, SLU, Dayton, and URI.

You read it here first.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am liking this opportunity for URI next year. I will laugh if Xavier and Butler are 7,8,9 or 10 in their new league and URI is fighting for 1st place and in the running for an NCA bid.
All is not lost for URI.
There is a silver lining, it is what it is, and now we can see Dan, Bobby, Preston and all reap what they have sown in the past year. Jordan Hare stepping up as a Soph, 4 transfers, Martin, Mathews and they are not done yet. Next year can potentially be the most exciting year for URI basketball since the days of Jim Harrick - I'm with Rod.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If/when the Flyers and STLU leave in the near future, can ya say hello to Vermont, UNH, Siena, Maine, Holy Cross, Buffalo and others from those lesser leagues??..............
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:If/when the Flyers and STLU leave in the near future, can ya say hello to Vermont, UNH, Siena, Maine, Holy Cross, Buffalo and others from those lesser leagues??..............
The A10 is better than that
more like George Mason, Davidson ( who should have beaten #3 seed BE Marquette today), Northeastern...............the A10 commands more of a presence than to be taking on Maine, Holy Cross and UNH
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No way. If that happens then the A10 is toast. Siena is the only one of that group that has a chance for an invite.