General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by ace »

Little creeped out that someone who professes to “barely pay attention to me” knows my professsion. I don’t know what any of you people do. Is TP a lawyer? I feel like I might know that. And a few of you have got to be in sales.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would say in the history books DH is on par with Skinner.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Eh I disagree. Based on what he inherited vs what he left it as he is slightly above Skinner. If rhody were a stock the price would be a hockey stick shape during his tenure.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ah, but let's not forget that Skinner ran the program from a trailer and he left behind one of our best classes ever.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fair. But a roster who the year before didn’t win a tourney game and then went a minute from the final four with his predecessor. I’d still put Dan slightly ahead of Al, and obviously behind TP and JH. Just counting the coaches I have witnessed.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think I started this so I feel compelled to clarify. In no way was I diminishing Hurley's contributions. Its possible that he set the table for a long run of relevancy. It's up to others to not blow it.
As for Ace, she's a valued contributor. My point was she's a little predictable in her posts on Hurley. We're URI fans number 1. She's a Dan fan, which makes her an outlier. But she is upfront with her bias and I hope she keeps posting.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Hurley and most of his people have moved on. We get to move on too. Good programs turn the page. Cox owns the successes and the failures from here on out. If that diminishes the Hurley legacy to some people, too bad.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago As for Ace, she's a valued contributor. My point was she's a little predictable in her posts on Hurley. We're URI fans number 1. She's a Dan fan, which makes her an outlier. But she is upfront with her bias and I hope she keeps posting.
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago Hurley and most of his people have moved on. We get to move on too. Good programs turn the page. Cox owns the successes and the failures from here on out. If that diminishes the Hurley legacy to some people, too bad.
I totally agree with both of these posts, have no issue with Ace in general, her bias is known. I only got salty because she claimed Iggy was not being respectful by pointing to her bias. Also we don't have to deify Danny Hurley to appreciate what he did here. I'm not going to revise history, he is great at a number of the things one needs to run a successful D1 college men's basketball program and average in some other respects. In all we are lucky he helped, as I have said, drag the program out of the doldrums, but now it's time to move on, he chose to leave for one of our biggest rivals because he believes he can win a championship there and not here, that tells you what he thinks of us and his own abilities, no longer up to the challenge of helping us become the major mid-major of the east. So we move on and Cox gets the accolades when we go to the final four and beyond...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago As for Ace, she's a valued contributor. My point was she's a little predictable in her posts on Hurley. We're URI fans number 1. She's a Dan fan, which makes her an outlier. But she is upfront with her bias and I hope she keeps posting.
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago Hurley and most of his people have moved on. We get to move on too. Good programs turn the page. Cox owns the successes and the failures from here on out. If that diminishes the Hurley legacy to some people, too bad.
I totally agree with both of these posts, have no issue with Ace in general, her bias is known. I only got salty because she claimed Iggy was not being respectful by pointing to her bias. Also we don't have to deify Danny Hurley to appreciate what he did here. I'm not going to revise history, he is great at a number of the things one needs to run a successful D1 college men's basketball program and average in some other respects. In all we are lucky he helped, as I have said, drag the program out of the doldrums, but now it's time to move on, he chose to leave for one of our biggest rivals because he believes he can win a championship there and not here, that tells you what he thinks of us and his own abilities, no longer up to the challenge of helping us become the major mid-major of the east. So we move on and Cox gets the accolades when we go to the final four and beyond...
just to add, the negativity towards Hurley is bigger because he said one thing but did another.

He spent years preaching family, telling top recruits you dont need the bright lights to come here and build something special, and built his persona of not being the typical college coach looking to use schools as stepping stones until they can cash in.

He then turned around and did exactly that. The deception/betrayal adds more fuel to the negativity fire
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
just to add, the negativity towards Hurley is bigger because he said one thing but did another.

He spent years preaching family, telling top recruits you dont need the bright lights to come here and build something special, and built his persona of not being the typical college coach looking to use schools as stepping stones until they can cash in.

He then turned around and did exactly that. The deception/betrayal adds more fuel to the negativity fire
Hurley did what 95% of the coaches in division one would have done. There aren’t many that wouldn’t take the money and also an opportunity to recruit at a higher level with big time facilities and tradition. I was upset when he left also, but really don’t care what Hurley is doing now and just want to land high end recruits starting with McLeod. There are very “few” Mark Few’s or even Bob McKillop of Davidson in college basketball today!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Can’t believe you guys are still talking about him. He’s not the coach!!
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Hurley before Cox was 22-39. Since Cox came, Hurley was 91-43.

As a former assistant coach (different sport and lower level), I like stats like that.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago Hurley before Cox was 22-39. Since Cox came, Hurley was 91-43.

As a former assistant coach (different sport and lower level), I like stats like that.
You do realize how completely pointless those stats are, right?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago Hurley before Cox was 22-39. Since Cox came, Hurley was 91-43.

You do realize how completely pointless those stats are, right?
Like your posts. They’re interesting but I don’t give them much weight. :D
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

But I don't even see how it's interesting. Cox came aboard when EC and Hassan were sophomores and Jared and Jarvis were freshman. The most important part of the rebuild was done, so of course Hurley's record looks one way during the rebuild and another way after.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I like to hope Cox is the next assistant turn great coach like Mack or Few. More of a stat of wishful thinking than anything else. I agree many more important factors attributable to those splits.

But Hurley had some good players before the rebuild was complete.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

While this is mostly true, I think the strange part is that the ones talking the most about moving on and all that are the ones still talking the most about Hurley.

I love Dan, have absolutely no issues with the way he left, and am hoping he does well at UConn (as long as it doesn't affect URI at all) but I've moved on and rarely talk about him on here unless it is too bring up how petty most posters are acting about the whole thing.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago just to add, the negativity towards Hurley is bigger because he said one thing but did another.

The only minor issue with this is that its 100% not true.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago Cox owns the successes and the failures from here on out. If that diminishes the Hurley legacy to some people, too bad.
This is silly. No one thinks that. Cox’s performance as a head coach, and I expect it to be very good, neither enhances or diminishes anything the previous coach did. Are you just making up stuff to be mad at? The previous coach isn’t the only one that could have “rebuilt,” it’s just that he was the one who happened to do so. This is what good programs do. Get the pieces in place and hire competent people to lead. After a long drought, that’s what this program is now. Tournament appearances and conference championships should continue to be the norm. Clear space for more banners, because they’re coming.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I hope Bishop is good with some competition at Xavier. Tandy is smaller, but higher rated than Bishop in many recruiting sites. Both combo guards.

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The funny thing about Hurley vs Cox people on this board is that it only really exists on this board. I think the two guys like and respect each other a lot, are grateful to one another for their respective impacts on each others’ careers and are rooting for each other to succeed.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I think I started this so I feel compelled to clarify. In no way was I diminishing Hurley's contributions. Its possible that he set the table for a long run of relevancy. It's up to others to not blow it.
As for Ace, she's a valued contributor. My point was she's a little predictable in her posts on Hurley. We're URI fans number 1. She's a Dan fan, which makes her an outlier. But she is upfront with her bias and I hope she keeps posting.
And what bothered me, and what I found a little disrespectful, was that you responded to me but didn’t even consider the words that I wrote. When you look for a bias, you’ll find it even when none is there. My point was and continues to be that re-recruiting a class and starting from scratch is different. Not sure why that led to an insult. It’s hardly an outrageous idea.

But, it’s fine. Iggy and I are cool.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The funny thing about Hurley vs Cox people on this board is that it only really exists on this board. I think the two guys like and respect each other a lot, are grateful to one another for their respective impacts on each others’ careers and are rooting for each other to succeed.
I don’t think there are any “Hurley people” who are not also “Cox people.” URI will definitely be getting some info from UConn’s side this weekend following their secret scrimmage. Teams don’t put it all out there in these scrimmages, but what’s useful to be shared will be.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The funny thing about Hurley vs Cox people on this board is that it only really exists on this board. I think the two guys like and respect each other a lot, are grateful to one another for their respective impacts on each others’ careers and are rooting for each other to succeed.
I don’t think there are any “Hurley people” who are not also “Cox people.” URI will definitely be getting some info from UConn’s side this weekend following their secret scrimmage. Teams don’t put it all out there in these scrimmages, but what’s useful to be shared will be.
I'm an idiot
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago Cox owns the successes and the failures from here on out. If that diminishes the Hurley legacy to some people, too bad.
This is silly. No one thinks that.
Great! Glad I took care of that problem.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
This is silly. No one thinks that.
Great! Glad I took care of that problem.
A “problem” you made up? Good on ya, I guess.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And I'm sure we'll be telling Hurley about St. John's
Has UConn rejoined the Big East?! Big if true ;)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And I'm sure we'll be telling Hurley about St. John's
Has UConn rejoined the Big East?! Big if true ;)
Only in their fans minds and in my brain fart. I apologize, carry on
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I’m sure Cox and Hurley are very close. I bet knowing that Cox had a good chance to become the next head coach, made Hurley’s decision to leave a little easier. But that’s not the issue.

The debate is over the degree of Hurley’s accomplishments at URI. And our opinions, as URI fans, shape this legacy. Personally, I am rooting for Hurley’s legacy at URI to be completely overshadowed by the success of Cox. Has nothing to do with Hurley, who I like, and everything to do with being a URI fan first and foremost.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am rooting for the legacy of every coach who has ever coached here to be overshadowed by the legacy of whoever the current coach is, always. But, that is a comparison between two coaches; nothing Cox does or doesn’t do should diminish what Hurley did for our program. If he can surpass it, that’s all to the good for us.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I am rooting for the legacy of every coach who has ever coached here to be overshadowed by the legacy of whoever the current coach is, always. But, that is a comparison between two coaches; nothing Cox does or doesn’t do should diminish what Hurley did for our program. If he can surpass it, that’s all to the good for us.
Any program that hasn’t won a national championship (and that’s most of them) should want the current coach to do better than anyone who came before him (or her). And, if your school has had any coach win n national championships, you want the current coach to win n + 1. Being a fan is at least 42% delusion.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

My expectations are slightly lower than what I’m rooting for. But I’m still well over the 42% delusional.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think most of us here are rooting for sweet sixteen. Elite 8 AGAIN. Maybe a Final Four???

Not having a national title doesn’t mean much around here.

Obviously we would love one. 🤷‍♂️
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This reminds me of that famous quote CFL said about he was trying to recruit players to play in a final 4 or something to that effect ????
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I want to play in a Final Four and you’re not a Final Four player.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To a player that was already on the team to run him off
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To which the player responded “I want to play in a Final Four and you are not a Final Four caliber coach” (at least in the version of this story I like to recount in my head).
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago To which the player responded “I want to play in a Final Four and you are not a Final Four caliber coach” (at least in the version of this story I like to recount in my head).
How dare you??! Jim Baron IS a Final Four* coach!

* Final Four of the NIT
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Tom Behrens!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I never saw him as an Big 12 caliber player. I don’t think he will play much until his JR/SR YEAR
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is definitely one of the classic quotes on this board over the last 20 years alongside 72 criticisms of Jimmy Barons free throw shooting
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I never saw him as an Big 12 caliber player. I don’t think he will play much until his JR/SR YEAR
Don’t disagree, but isn’t Maryland in the B1G?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He isn’t 6’7” either. Loved his talent when he played with Fatts. I think he is 6’5” tough.
Another miss for LaSalle. That should eliminate LaSalle as an option for McLeod.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

LaSalle never had a shot with Scott. He's too good. It's hard enough for Temple to even keep kids like him in state, let alone LaSalle.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I never saw him as an Big 12 caliber player. I don’t think he will play much until his JR/SR YEAR
Don’t disagree, but isn’t Maryland in the B1G?
Lol yes, good catch.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Balsa Koprivica and Antwan January are FSU targets ahead of McLeod, but it seems like neither are in a rush to make a commitment and if FSU shows that they really want him this weekend it might be some more bad news for next year’s class. I was hoping Koprivica would have commited after his visit to FSU. I’m not sure if the whole scandal has held up both his and other schools decision. It should sway a program like FSU that will do anything in order to win.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... 50-centers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I share this because all the experts had him going to Kansas or UNC. 247’s Crystal Ball had him 100% Kansas. All the attention they have on a Top 20 player and they can’t get his school right. Forget about their guesses on where a recruit RI is pursuing is going to end up.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe the recruiting issues with the FBI investigation are having some effect on recruits decisions....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As a Temple grad, I’m programmed to dislike Villanova.

But, they have developed a really impressive program and approach to getting things done.