General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just for the record. I haven’t read where any Ast Coach made an offer to Bowen Sr. It may seem to be semantics but Dawkins told Bowen Sr that an Ast Coach told him that Adidas would pay him if his son went to that school.
Here is Zags tweet as an example:
“Brian Bowen Sr. said Christian Dawkins told him Brian Bowen Jr. could get $100K from Adidas for picking Louisville instead of the $60-$80 iniitlaly discussed.”

So that is Adidas paying for Jr going to Adidas school. The Ast is a mouthpiece for Adidas and the school.

Then the person who paid Sr was Munish Sood (Financial Advisor who teaned up with Dawkins to get clients). Not someone from Adidas or the school.

Zags:
“A man named Munish Sood drove with $19,400 in cash to a parking lot in Northern New Jersey to pay the father of a high school basketball player.”
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 010c9.html

On July 13, 2017, Munish Sood got into his car and drove to meet Brian Bowen Sr., in a parking lot in northern New Jersey. Sood testified that he brought an envelope containing $19,400 in cash.

Sood, a financial planner based in Princeton, New Jersey, said he had been given the money the day before by Jeff DeAngelo, a man he thought was working with Adidas to help funnel basketball superprospect Brian Bowen to Louisville, an Adidas-sponsored school.

DeAngelo was actually an FBI agent, but Sood would not learn that fact until Sept. 26, 2017 — the day he was arrested in the college basketball bribery scandal that saw nine other men arrested, including former Arizona assistant coach Emanuel “Book” Richardson.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with TP, PMurph didn't do this by himself they should always punish the head coach if any wrongdoing in this case Doug McDermott
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I love Preston, I hope nothing comes of this, but if it does, again, it kind of taints his successes.
I don’t think it does, at all. I can’t speak for what he did at Creighton, or even BC (although I think it is highly unlikely that BC was doing this stuff). But as far as URI is concerned, there is 0.0% chance that any kind of shenanigans were going on here. And it’s not because I don’t think Hurley ran that kind of program (which, for the record, I don’t), but because even if we wanted to pay for players we don’t have access to that kind of cash. Maybe the only context in which I’m glad we can’t throw around money like some other programs in the country.
I don't think we're involved in any of this stuff either but I'm also pretty sure the cash schools are throwing at these recruits isn't just straight from their basketball budget. If Tom Ryan wanted us to get a recruit I'm sure he could pretty quietly give an assistant coach 50k to pass onto a recruit. I think a lot of the money is either from Adidas or whatever other company sponsors the program and boosters.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

In basketball the $$ is driven by the sneaker companies.

in football it is the old boy network dropping the cash.

I imagine those worlds collide at the schools that compete at a high level for both.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think the money comes from the shoe companies, would be agents and would be financial advisors.
The schools and coaches are involved by directing business to the three representatives above.
They direct the recruit to these businesses and other players that are going pro.
The school gets a great player (paid for by the other businesses) and the business get clients some who make it big.
When you see the dollar amount of the endorsement contracts the top players sign with the shoe companies, the $150k is nothing.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The problem Murphy has is the Saginaw connection.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Dayton commitment from the other day

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So who is the star of Cox’s first recruiting class? I know there has been a number of signings but not much splash.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think we're going to have to wait until the 20-21 season to figure that out.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I think we're going to have to wait until the 20-21 season to figure that out.
So maybe we have some ‘20 recruits jump this class? But this was a big class with 4 recruits.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago I think we're going to have to wait until the 20-21 season to figure that out.
So maybe we have some ‘20 recruits jump this class? But this was a big class with 4 recruits.
What do you mean?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
What do you mean?
I mean our ‘20 class will be better than our ‘’19 class?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I say 20-21 since it doesn't seem like people think this group will step right in and help, and will need time to hopefully develop. And usually the biggest jump players make is between frosh and soph season. Hope a few develop fast, as it's a big class...about a third of the team.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Everybody needs to relax, this is arguably our third or fourth best class potentially of all time according to national ratings. I’m excited about this class, give them an opportunity and let’s see what happens.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It has been reported throughout this case that the Judge has been short with the defense and they going to be in trouble with any decisions from the Jufge. Read this article. It is unbelievable. He rejects everything. If the defense loses, this will be reason for an appeal.

https://kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/s ... 06280.html
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

https://247sports.com/college/florida-s ... 123491086/

James Wiseman the number one recruit for next year is on the visit with Koprivica this weekend at FSU. Providence has also been one of the teams after Koprivica. He will probably be between FSU, Baylor and Gonzaga.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

This shows how little impact the whole college basketball scandal has had with these recruits.

bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

they have the 2nd best recruiting class to date, arizona at # 9
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

When there are no consequences for your misdeeds, there is nothing to fear.
These schools are probably still paying kids. Business as usual ....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This is a big class to not have any homeruns. Especially after back to back NCAAT.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

The flip side is we have so much young talent that recruits don't see the minutes they want.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I also think that Dave has to prove he can win as a head coach. Dan had the Hurley name and the track record in high school and at Wagner when he got here. He got EC before even coaching a game. Dave doesn't have that resume yet. Once he starts winning here, he will start getting the quality recruits again (not saying he doesn't have any quality recruits in this class. That is still TBD).
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seems totally legit.

De-commits and then commits to a new school in the span of a few hours.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Maybe Cuonzo agreed to hire Tray Jackson's dad (ala Michael Porter).
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In my mind Cox has already proven he can recruit as a head coach. If this year's class was coming because of the Hurley name or Dan's coaching they would've backed out. Cox had to re-recruit the class and batted .750 and then went out and quickly filled the opening spot. This is Cox' class.
Mid-majors sell playing time and so it's hard to bring in excellent classes back to back. That's the reason Dan had the Akele-Thompson class.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago In my mind Cox has already proven he can recruit as a head coach. If this year's class was coming because of the Hurley name or Dan's coaching they would've backed out. Cox had to re-recruit the class and batted .750 and then went out and quickly filled the opening spot. This is Cox' class.
Mid-majors sell playing time and so it's hard to bring in excellent classes back to back. That's the reason Dan had the Akele-Thompson class.
Yes and no, I think. I don’t doubt Cox’s recruiting abilities at all. He is very, very good, and I expect his recruiting efforts will keep URI’s classes at or near the top of the conference. In general, though, I think there is a difference. In one, you’re getting guys to recommit in the Spring, when program options may be limited and the guys have spent almost a whole school year thinking about their college experience in one way, in this case following a team that did very well, in conference and nationally. That’s different from identifying players from a large pool and considering how to fend off the bigger name schools when they come calling. I don’t care who gets the credit for the class. I also expect Cox will win at URI, but it’s easy for other recruiters to cast doubt on a first-time head coach. All part of the game.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hear what you are saying Ace, however Harris could have gone to Xavier, Louisville (following Mack) or UCONN (following Hurley) and he didn’t. If Cox wasn’t hired all three recruits would’ve left which tells me there were plenty of spots for them at schools they were interested in.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Harris could have, sure. But again- we know the types of guys this program recruits. Hiring Cox allowed them to stay with a successful program they had invested time in, with future teammates they had gotten to know, with a coach they know and trust. That’s an easier sell. All that program building they’ve talked about over the last few years is legit. It’s a little unsettling how some people view recruits as non-feeling cogs.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

With all due respect Ace, I expected you to disagree
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago With all due respect Ace, I expected you to disagree
I sense not much respect there at all.

I find it hard to believe that you think recruiting a class from scratch is the same as sliding down a seat and re-recruiting guys to the same successful program. That stretches plausibility.

No one was questioning his recruiting ability, anyway (aside from the guy who’s negative about everything). bb brought up the idea of proving himself, by winning games, as a head coach.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And it all goes so fast, doesn’t it? These ‘19 recruits will suit up next to seniors Dowtin and Langevine.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago With all due respect Ace, I expected you to disagree
If there is any attempt at discrediting DH, or slightly minimizing his impact, she will be here, with her cape on.

I don’t even think she realizes that’s how she comes off.

I’m DH fan, but I’m more of a fan of the folks that are here, to whatever disillusion that may cause, that’s often the price of being a fan.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I think the reality is somewhere in the middle of:
  • Dan Hurley did an incredible job, built the program to a sustainable level of success and as a result made things easier on David Cox keeping his prized 2019 recruits
    The 2019 recruits were going to bolt and David Cox did an incredible job of ensuring continued program elevation by quickly and effectively locking down commitments from Martin, Harris, and Tate while snagging his first true recruit in Silverio (replacing Adams)
My overall thoughts are that any other coach we would have likely seen a max exodus. It was also possible that although we were assured many would stay for David Cox we could have seen 2-3 key pieces go elsewhere. That didn't happen and we're in a good place now because of it. That said, I do see key differences in getting players to re-commit to a program instead of commit for the first time. I have no doubt in my mind that Cox will recruit at the highest level in the A10 and as long as his in-game coaching is above average we should be well positioned for continued success.

Give Dan Hurley credit for what he built.
Give David Cox credit for being a key recruiter during that time and now someone that can, and will, be successful building his own program.

We can do both.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I think the reality is somewhere in the middle of:
  • Dan Hurley did an incredible job, built the program to a sustainable level of success and as a result made things easier on David Cox keeping his prized 2019 recruits
    The 2019 recruits were going to bolt and David Cox did an incredible job of ensuring continued program elevation by quickly and effectively locking down commitments from Martin, Harris, and Tate while snagging his first true recruit in Silverio (replacing Adams)
My overall thoughts are that any other coach we would have likely seen a max exodus. It was also possible that although we were assured many would stay for David Cox we could have seen 2-3 key pieces go elsewhere. That didn't happen and we're in a good place now because of it. That said, I do see key differences in getting players to re-commit to a program instead of commit for the first time. I have no doubt in my mind that Cox will recruit at the highest level in the A10 and as long as his in-game coaching is above average we should be well positioned for continued success.

Give Dan Hurley credit for what he built.
Give David Cox credit for being a key recruiter during that time and now someone that can, and will, be successful building his own program.

We can do both.
well said!

Let's not forget about the job Cox did to keep Fatts here as well. Maybe he gets forgotten about keeping continuity since a lot of the discussion was around the '18 recruits

I do give DH a lot of credit for what he did here for 6 yrs
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
If there is any attempt at discrediting DH, or slightly minimizing his impact, she will be here, with her cape on.

I’m DH fan, but I’m more of a fan of the folks that are here, to whatever disillusion that may cause, that’s often the price of being a fan.
Oh, DC. You do always make me laugh. Alanis could write another misinformed, bad song about you. But, who doesn’t love some patronizing mansplaining on a Monday morning? I have many faults. Lacking self-awareness is not one of them.

Donta Scott, who visited La Salle with McLeod, is announcing on Wednesday. Can’t say this looks good for the Explorers.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Oh, DC. You do always make me laugh. Alanis could write another misinformed, bad song about you. But, who doesn’t love some patronizing mansplaining on a Monday morning? I have many faults. Lacking self-awareness is not one of them.

Donta Scott, who visited La Salle with McLeod, is announcing on Wednesday. Can’t say this looks good for the Explorers.
I love you too, Ace.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Cuonzo agreed to hire Tray Jackson's dad (ala Michael Porter).
Missouri got the recruit but Jontay just tore his ACL and MCL and is obviously out for the season, after Michael Jr missed last season. Rough luck for that family.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's not the same, but it's just as important. Cox did have to re-recruit the class, not from scratch. Possibly in what could be construed as a tougher sell, program stability, market maintenance etc. Maybe, though, not as hard as we might think because Cox was their guy all along which goes to support the idea Cox is an outstanding recruiter. I'm positive every recruit had other real and enticing options to consider in the wake of DH's departure.

The problem, Ace, with your need to parse out the differences in recruiting players from scratch and re-recruiting players is that it comes off as a defense of DH and a diminishing of DC. It gives cranky fans a reason to put their cranky pants on, myself included, now I'm going to go on believing you are here as a fan of the program, but your need to interject when anyone builds up DC in conjunction with diminishing DH is suspect.

You're a Psychologist what did you expect us to do? continue to lick Danny's boots and all act like 'oh by the grace of Danny Hurley David Cox is in the front office of a successful program' when we can choose to believe that Danny Hurley got a chance to cash in because David Cox lifted him to new heights?

I choose to believe the later, DH was good at recruiting, had a great work ethic, brought good tough kids in, managed to drag the image of the program out of the doldrums, but he stunk as a game coach, showed little flexibility in many ways, went crazy, like out of his mind to the point of costing future calls on the sidelines, overall as a strategist I'd say he was average, then along comes DC, and things really turned around when stubborn DH finally stopped rotating through his coaches to scout games and gave the job exclusively to Cox. I'm sorry if you're upset to know there are fans out here that think this way, I really do wish the best for DH, I just hope he remembers all that he learned from DC.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
The problem, Ace, with your need to parse out the differences in recruiting players from scratch and re-recruiting players is that it comes off as a defense of DH and a diminishing of DC.
Iggy made a point. I agreed with some of it and offered my explanation for the parts with which I disagreed. This is a discussion board. I talk about basketball, you talk about me. Weird. There’s an ignore button anyone can choose to use at any time.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
The problem, Ace, with your need to parse out the differences in recruiting players from scratch and re-recruiting players is that it comes off as a defense of DH and a diminishing of DC.
Iggy made a point. I agreed with some of it and offered my explanation for the parts with which I disagreed. This is a discussion board. I talk about basketball, you talk about me. Weird. There’s an ignore button anyone can choose to use at any time.

Love the downplay, you do it with every, even somewhat negative mention of DH. Don’t think there is much thread left on his jock strap. He’s a big boy, he’s gone from here. Wish him much success!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And how is that different from a poster whose screen name makes it sound like they come from the same area as David Cox, who only showed up here around the same time he did, and acts the same way about Cox that you accuse ace of acting when it comes to Hurley? I'm old enough to remember you throwing temper tantrums here anytime someone dared to suggest they interview someone other than Cox. So maybe you don't want to be quite so judgemental in this area
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Cuonzo agreed to hire Tray Jackson's dad (ala Michael Porter).
Missouri got the recruit but Jontay just tore his ACL and MCL and is obviously out for the season, after Michael Jr missed last season. Rough luck for that family.
At least Dad got an assistant coaching job at a P5 school and Jr got an NBA contract.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

And how is that different from a poster whose screen name makes it sound like they come from the same area as David Cox, who only showed up here around the same time he did, and acts the same way about Cox that you accuse ace of acting when it comes to Hurley? I'm old enough to remember you throwing temper tantrums here anytime someone dared to suggest they interview someone other than Cox. So maybe you don't want to be quite so judgemental in this area
I’m not going to object. I am from the DC area, 00’ URI grad, but yes, I am big proponent for guys from the area, to include coaches and players from the vicinity.

For the record, I was all about continuity and I iterated that a dozens times over. The shoe fits, and I’m wearing it. However, the difference is, im a URI fan, first. If Cox leaves, I’ll still be a fan. Don’t get your point, but OK, I’ll play.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

the difference and the point is that Cox is our coach and Hurley is our former coach. I'm a fan of Rhody Men's Basketball. I feel no need to defend Hurley's good name, he's doing fine, he doesn't need 'fans' defending his insignificant legacy at Rhody. And for the record I barely pay attention to you, Ace, I don't generally care enough about your take to have to "ignore" you.

Are you here as a fan of the program or to remind us that Dan Hurley is the best and to defend that notion every chance you get? You claim to have self awareness, either that claim is false or you know that you jump to Hurley's defense so often we expect it of you.
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago the difference and the point is that Cox is our coach and Hurley is our former coach. I'm a fan of Rhody Men's Basketball. I feel no need to defend Hurley's good name, he's doing fine, he doesn't need 'fans' defending his insignificant legacy at Rhody. And for the record I barely pay attention to you, Ace, I don't generally care enough about your take to have to "ignore" you.

Are you here as a fan of the program or to remind us that Dan Hurley is the best and to defend that notion every chance you get? You claim to have self awareness, either that claim is false or you know that you jump to Hurley's defense so often we expect it of you.
+1,000

...and while I won’t call his contributions “insignificant”, I agree with your sentiments, generally speaking.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ugggh, another rabbit hole. Ace has been very transparent with her loyalty, and obvious connection to Dan, yet to her credit also still has enough affinity for this program to keep coming here and contributing thoughts related to the team. I think that goes beyond her need to defend pot shots against Dan, and she has ignored plenty of them along the way fwiw. Including some made by me. She isn't pretending to be someone else. This has been one of the smoothest transitions from one coach to another in my 30 years as a fan. I am a Ram Fan first and foremost, and will support whomever our coach is since my loyalty is to the program. That said there are some here that are diminishing exactly what Dan did here, either bc they don't want to admit it, are naive to it, or are still jilted lovers.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Indeed.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I admit what he did for the program, I just don't overstate it and now that he's gone I have no desire to defend his legacy. What he did for the program is no more significant than what Al Skinner did for it, he's just another coach in the history of our coaches.
Go Rhody!!!