The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rambone 78 wrote:You want it, you got it.

URI offer was for 17 million over 10 years. Average 1.7 mil a year.

Practice facility....yes. More charters...yes. More $ for assts...yes....

Sounds good, no? So why might he not take it?

It's the conference we play in. Can Dan get to where he wants to go playing in the A10?

Shaka and Archie didn't think so. And they were both making over 2 mil a year and had better fan support and facilities than we do.
But couldn't you make the argument that he'll have an easier time making and advancing in the NCAA tournament consistently in the A-10 as opposed to the ACC?? If Hass was healthy last year, I have no doubt we beat Oregon and advance to the Sweet 16, probably even further. And we couldn't have drawn a worse matchup than Duke in this year's tournament or else we would have advanced once again. I mean come on...their starting lineup has 3-4 future NBA players. My point is that Hurley has proven he can get us into the tournament in the A-10 with solid recruiting, a tough OOC schedule and good coaching. Not to mention the incredible fan support that he's built at URI. He goes to Pitt, that's a complete rebuild. Then when he finally gets HIS team in place in a few years, he's still going up against the likes of Duke, UNC, Louisville and every other team in the ACC on a nightly basis. That's a daunting task. The road to the tournament will be much easier in the A-10, that's all I'm saying.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:The UConn violations are pretty overblown! A couple kids participated in illegal offcampus workouts. I'm pretty sure that's considered a minor infraction by the NCAA especially since they self reported.

I'd be surprised to see any major penalties from the NCAA, seems they'd have bigger fish to fry. It was clearly stated they were never under FBI investigation.
Minor infractions were enough to fire their head coach right?
It was all about trying to avoid that buyout. If Ollie was winning 22 games a season and making the tourney no one would have ever heard about this!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dre - right, but you get how that is not good, don't you? If they run a guy out who won a national championship and is an alum and try to screw him over and weasel out of paying him with fabricated "for cause" nonsense, what does that say about their loyalty and "family" bona fides? If you're a prospective employee, do you trust that employer? I sure as hell wouldn't.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:83, not sure if the practice facility would be a stand alone....I doubt that...would probably be an upgrade of existing space.

Still, just renovating existing space will cost millions.

Dre, correct. And I think Dan has been told not much will come of that.
I understand it isn’t a stand alone facility. You still have to be looking at $10-20 million.
They will attached a donor name to it just like we have the Alex and Ani Court.
What do you mean “Dan has been told not much will come of that”?
“We will be good when we are good.”
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Rhody83 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:83, not sure if the practice facility would be a stand alone....I doubt that...would probably be an upgrade of existing space.

I understand it isn’t a stand alone facility. You still have to be looking at $10-20 million.
They will attached a donor name to it just like we have the Alex and Ani Court.
What do you mean “Dan has been told not much will come of that”?
I think he's referring to potential NCAA Sanctions at UCONN.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also how many times has Hurley recently spoke out against the recent NCAA violations??
GO RAMS
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

TruePoint wrote:Dre - right, but you get how that is not good, don't you? If they run a guy out who won a national championship and is an alum and try to screw him over and weasel out of paying him with fabricated "for cause" nonsense, what does that say about their loyalty and "family" bona fides? If you're a prospective employee, do you trust that employer? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Oh I 100% agree with you. That alone would make me not want to go there. If they do that to their own, what will they do to an outsider that's supposed to be the "savior". But at the end of the day coaches don't ever think they'll be unsuccessful.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:Dre - right, but you get how that is not good, don't you? If they run a guy out who won a national championship and is an alum and try to screw him over and weasel out of paying him with fabricated "for cause" nonsense, what does that say about their loyalty and "family" bona fides? If you're a prospective employee, do you trust that employer? I sure as hell wouldn't.
And when they lose the case against Ollie (because it was a minor infraction) they take a $10 million payout hit. That is going to significantly impact their spending on the men’s basketball program. Forget chartered flights, they will be taking buses.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What is being waited for here? A flare for the dramatic?

Release the choice already Lebron.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
And when they lose the case against Ollie (because it was a minor infraction) they take a $10 million payout hit. That is going to significantly impact their spending on the men’s basketball program. Forget chartered flights, they will be taking buses.
It'll be interesting to see if he wins. The language of his contract is very clear. Any infraction committed by anyone within his program that he doesn't report within a very specific time frame eliminates his buyout.

I dont know how he could win, but it's still extremely shady IMO.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:What is being waited for here? A flare for the dramatic?

Kind of a big life decision for the guy, no?

Maybe he’s...thinking it over and talking to his family?
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Dre3000 wrote:
Oh I 100% agree with you. That alone would make me not want to go there. If they do that to their own, what will they do to an outsider that's supposed to be the "savior". But at the end of the day coaches don't ever think they'll be unsuccessful.
the other aspect too is they are basically announcing that no level of success is good enough to save you. They're not just doing this to a former great player for them, they are doing it to a national championship winning coach.

it also feeds into the perception that Calhoun is still pulling the strings there and things will end poorly for you if you cross the boss (like Ollie did)
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:What is being waited for here? A flare for the dramatic?

You have to respect the fact that this is a HUGE decision for someone to make. Going to impact their life and their family's lives - maybe for generations - and it will alter the course of his career whichever direction he goes. I'm just happy we got a fair hearing and that, by the accounts I've seen posted here and have heard elsewhere, URI has stepped up and did what was necessary with the commitments they made in their offer. Dan will do what is best for him and his family. I hope that is with us, but if not you don't need a lot more evidence that he was successful here than what was in the package that they offered him to stay. The willingness to go there bodes well for the future of this program whether it is under Hurley's leadership (hopefully) or not.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Unbelievable! Guy can't even have 24hrs to weigh pros and cons of all offers?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

One of the more amazing things about following this drama is that it makes the Duke loss seem like 5 weeks ago-and its only been 5 days.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Coaching Carousel

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote:
UConn doesn't charter to OOC games as I understand it, only conference. They flew commercial home from PK80.

They do have the budget to offer charters for recruiting visits though. Big differentiator.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

My work computer blocks anything from twitter so anytime anyone posts a tweet it just says loading tweet and I frantically switch to my phone thinking this the decision.

hoping we get a positive news soon !
Clapton is God
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It's the conference we play in. Can Dan get to where he wants to go playing in the A10?

Shaka and Archie didn't think so. And they were both making over 2 mil a year and had better fan support and facilities than we do.
If it's about the conference then why the hell is he considering UConn? He'd be leaving the A10 to go to a slightly better conference but one that consists of the same types of bottom feeders that kill an RPI. Fordham/La Salle/Duquesne may be bad, but Tulane/East Carolina/Central Florida can't be that much better.

If it really is about the conference I'd expect he'll either go to Pitt or hold out for something more either in the next month or next year.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
UConn doesn't charter to OOC games as I understand it, only conference. They flew commercial home from PK80.

They do have the budget to offer charters for recruiting visits though. Big differentiator.
If true, I can't see why he'd be interested in Uconn that's been one of his biggest gripes here. I could see that being a must in his contract there.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder if we have offered recruiting charters.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Have to know what you want. You guys act like these choices were sprung on him.

He has been in the industry for like 30 years. He knows what he thinks of those two schools. Like all of us I am sure he knows how much he values the salaries or doesn't. And what he wants in terms of resources. Then his family? Come on. He knows what his wife thinks just like everybody else.

Only way he doesn't know what he is doing is if hes negotiating. Or he thinks one program is not being upfront about something.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can't weigh options against each other until you know specifically what they are.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NJRhodyFan wrote:

But couldn't you make the argument that he'll have an easier time making and advancing in the NCAA tournament consistently in the A-10 as opposed to the ACC?? If Hass was healthy last year, I have no doubt we beat Oregon and advance to the Sweet 16, probably even further. And we couldn't have drawn a worse matchup than Duke in this year's tournament or else we would have advanced once again. I mean come on...their starting lineup has 3-4 future NBA players. My point is that Hurley has proven he can get us into the tournament in the A-10 with solid recruiting, a tough OOC schedule and good coaching. Not to mention the incredible fan support that he's built at URI. He goes to Pitt, that's a complete rebuild. Then when he finally gets HIS team in place in a few years, he's still going up against the likes of Duke, UNC, Louisville and every other team in the ACC on a nightly basis. That's a daunting task. The road to the tournament will be much easier in the A-10, that's all I'm saying.
The ACC gets 8-10 teams in every year. I am sure a coach like DH isn't worried about making the tournament if he got things going. And don't you think a guy with confidence would rather walk into the Dean Dome or Cameron on ESPN at 8pm rather than Rose Hill? Let's be honest, though. Someone is putting over 3 million bucks/year on the table. Tough to turn that down.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody83 wrote:
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

The plot thickens.

WHEN did they discuss? Are they waiting on Hurley to pass first? Did Hurley already pass?

HOW COOKED IS THE HAM?????
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

the Pitt people switch focus to Sean in evening yesterday, based on reading their board earlier this morning.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But does he want to walk into those places at least 2-3 times before being competitive? Bc that is the reality of the Pitt situation, no matter how well he is able to recruit there. Next season is already a wash, top recruits all signed, not much left. He will have at least 2-3 years with a lot of losing. If Pitt finished 8-10, or even 6-12, with some promising young players you could wrap your head around it. But 0-18 with 90% of the roster asking for their release.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think Pitt was really ever a strong contender for multiple reasons. Not a destination job, and a massive rebuild which Dan himself has said multiple times he would not sign up for again. Uconn or URI is what it has always been IMO.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

gorhody89 wrote:My work computer blocks anything from twitter so anytime anyone posts a tweet it just says loading tweet and I frantically switch to my phone thinking this the decision.

hoping we get a positive news soon !
Twitter is an essential service under Title II protections!!! Stupid employer!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

at Pitt you're looking at getting your head kicked in for a couple years before you start turning the tide
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Wow UConn told Dan not much will come of the violations they admitted to? Shocking. But if they're admitting to that what else will the NCAA find in their investigation? What else will come out as UConn fights to save money cause they're broke?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:at Pitt you're looking at getting your head kicked in for a couple years before you start turning the tide
But you have court-storm potential for at least half of your home games...at least for a couple years...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

sf2010 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

The plot thickens.

WHEN did they discuss? Are they waiting on Hurley to pass first? Did Hurley already pass?

HOW COOKED IS THE HAM?????
Plot isn't thick at all. Most informed posters on here were posting that Pitt was 3rd in the running regardless of the financials.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I wouldn't say Pitt is out by any means. Schools have to have other options in case their first choice goes elsewhere.

Who else has UConn looked at?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
The kiss of death lol - they might as well have announced him as the next head coach ;)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I keep looking up for the Batman signal.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:

Going to impact their life and their family's lives - maybe for generations.
That seems a little dramatic. He can either earn $17 million over 10 years or .....
I would say his family is pretty secure. If he is making this decision based on the financial impact for his grandchildren, that would be crazy.

Dan was a prep school coach at the age of 37. He wasn’t making much. If making more than $1 million/year was so important to him,why did he coach prep school for 9 years?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Wow UConn told Dan not much will come of the violations they admitted to? Shocking. But if they're admitting to that what else will the NCAA find in their investigation? What else will come out as UConn fights to save money cause they're broke?
Didn't he learn his lesson coming to URI? What APR issues? Oh those will be fine, don't worry about it, then he can't recruit anything but high academic players. Star player is video-taping having sex with girls? Whatever, no big deal.

I wouldn't buy the load of crap UConn is selling. They are in more trouble then they want to admit. The fact that there athletic budget is subsidized so heavily from the state is a HUGE red flag given the nature of the economics in CT. There will eventually be cuts to everything there and it won't be pretty. They need some deep NCAA runs and fast to pay the promises they are making today.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Keaney Blue smoke from Dan's Saunderstown chimney???
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on DH you Andrea and your kids love it in RI

You can win here and get to the dance every year

We stepped up to the plate with a competitive offer

Pick URI
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Keaney Blue smoke from Dan's Saunderstown chimney???
Yep I saw that too!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

the UConn people are saying they upped their salary offer to over 3 mil., closer to 3.5mil, crazy amount of dollars being thrown at Dan if true.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The internet is awesome

RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

we are all getting worked up over this decision like once it is made, there will be peace and calm throughout Kingston until next year at this time. who doesn't think we will go through this all again if Willard leaves SH for Pitt or Mack leaves X for Louisville? Do you think Dan won't explore those opportunities any more than he is CT and Pitt now? IMHO...any commitment Dan makes to URI will not be worth the paper it's written on. I don't think this is over today, tomorrow or next week...

hope I'm wrong...
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I am short sighted, just want him to stay for next year. I will worry about the following year after that.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If Xavier or SHU open, DH is gone.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

OMG no way on Seton Hall. Why exactly?
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

urirx wrote:the UConn people are saying they upped their salary offer to over 3 mil., closer to 3.5mil, crazy amount of dollars being thrown at Dan if true.
IF true, that will do it. Not so sure they can afford that though.