'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Offer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he decides after the signing period is over, then it's non-binding.

Would we want the possibility of him bailing AFTER that?

I don't think so. I would think Dan would tell him before next Wednesday that he has to decide by then.

This guy's track record speaks for itself. Make up your mind, please.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

sf2010 wrote:
McRam wrote:
scine20 wrote:He has 5 days to make a choice. Something is bound to leak sooner or later.
I guess with every passing day it becomes more and more likely that the "deadline" will pass without any LOI.

I'm not sure what JT has to gain at this point by using next week's "signing" period as his deadline.

I think our second session of summer school starts on June 20
Personally, I'd be shocked if there was no decision by 5/20.
Well it's now down to 4 days. Still no leaks whatsoever. Very strange.

NOTHING would surprise me at this point. He could end up at Providence and I wouldn't be surprised as awful as the thought may sound.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I fully expect him to go to a third, as yet unnamed school.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:If he decides after the signing period is over, then it's non-binding.

I don't think so. I would think Dan would tell him before next Wednesday that he has to decide by then.

Dan would (and should) take him on August 30th if he showed up with a basketball and a knapsack. It's annoying to fans but the kid has every right to bypass the signing period and use a grant in aid. As soon as he started classes it would the same as an LOI as far as binding to both parties for the year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

But WHY take so long? What's going to change?

If this is dependent on hiring Boswell, which is only a theory floated on this board, they should know something by now.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:But WHY take so long? What's going to change?

If this is dependent on hiring Boswell, which is only a theory floated on this board, they should know something by now.
He clearly made an error in choosing Okie State (in his mind). And he just visited BC. Sure, nothing is going to change but why not take all the time you need? So, Hurley can decide whether or not to take another JUCO? Or Christian can decide on plan B or C?
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I cannot fathom that Hurley would fire a member of his staff to hire the AAU coach of a recruit, even one as important as JT.

Re: "why take so long?" He probably hasn't made up his mind yet and doesn't want to rush it like he did the last time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, like others, I would be shocked if he doesn't announce by next Wednesday.

I know Ingram doesn't sign an LOI, but I would think we'd know about him soon too, although if not that wouldn't surprise me that much.

Something tells me we're going to be adding someone over the summer. Not thrilled about that prospect.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe Hurley's staff, other than Preston, has under-performed
and it's time to shake things up.
Adding players after the LOI period is CFL territory.
That's shopping at a KMart blue light sale.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Maybe Hurley's staff wasn't composed to be entirely made up of ace recruiters and that was Preston's role, which Cox has been brought in to fill. Maybe Carr is supposed to be a player-development and in-game focused assistant, and maybe he's performing well in that capacity (something none of us would know). Maybe, as others have said, Murray was brought in and told to focus on 2015. Jury's still out. Wouldn't support running either of them out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe a change IS coming to the staff.

What has Carr and Murray done? If Murray has indeed been focusing on '15's, then maybe he gets a pass. Carr?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Carr is in charge of recruiting jucos. The only one
we have a shot at after they all went elsewhere,
is Ingram, who was a Preston recruit.
I'm for upgrading, if the right person comes along.
It's a business, not a club.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If there's a shakeup ....and we're only speculating here .... I can't imagine it's Murray. He's only been here a year and we don't truly know what he has in the pipeline.
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The constant questioning of Carr's value has gotten way out of hand. Not all assistants have the same goals and deliverables.

Look at SF's post two before this one -- that makes sense.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If he decides after the signing period is over, then it's non-binding.

Dan would (and should) take him on August 30th if he showed up with a basketball and a knapsack. It's annoying to fans but the kid has every right to bypass the signing period and use a grant in aid. As soon as he started classes it would the same as an LOI as far as binding to both parties for the year.
I think the binding part is when he enrolls in a school. That could mean that as early as the day after the LOI period, he could enroll in URI summer session and it would have the same binding effect as a LOI.

Maybe he has decided to turn pro? Never know how these kids think!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, I understand that, however, in this business, results count. Cox might be a recruiter AND a player development and bench coach guy, which makes Carr expendable, especially if he hasn't produced anything of substance on the recruiting front.

I know we're all just speculating on this. We should know a LOT very soon, Terrell, Ingram, ???? and the coaching staff situation.

It's just that waiting until the last minute causes plenty of angst.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

The staff should 1. Recruit and 2. Develop players. Hurley should be able to handle the in-game stuff and a trained chimp can tell the head coach who has how many fouls, how many timeouts are left, etc.

If we are being honest about Carr and Murray as recruiters, they would get a D. This Murray as 2015 guy is fine but you can still have an idea of how well he is doing. It's like he has been on Mars. Player development? Maybe a B? If you are being generous. Who has gotten appreciably better over their time? EC got better. Hassan did. The rest? I'm not sure if anyone got a lick better and EC and Hassan could just be that they are really freaking good.

This is not an old boy's club. Hopefully, the new guy crushes it but Murray and Carr should be up for discussion. If you were running a business that was your livelihood, I am not sure I would keep them around for a third year. Of course, a lot depends on who else is out there, which might be the biggest reason to keep them.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

sf2010 wrote:Maybe Hurley's staff wasn't composed to be entirely made up of ace recruiters and that was Preston's role, which Cox has been brought in to fill. Maybe Carr is supposed to be a player-development and in-game focused assistant, and maybe he's performing well in that capacity (something none of us would know). Maybe, as others have said, Murray was brought in and told to focus on 2015. Jury's still out. Wouldn't support running either of them out.
Carr and Murray worked with the bigs. Martin improved as the season went on, Iffy regressed, so hard to grade them on development.
The assistants rotated as scout coach so they had equal roles as in-game coaches. I have no idea on how any of them performed, but the idea that Carr was more of an in-game coach than the other two assistants wasn't the case.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Gonebarongone wrote:The staff should 1. Recruit and 2. Develop players. Hurley should be able to handle the in-game stuff and a trained chimp can tell the head coach who has how many fouls, how many timeouts are left, etc.

If we are being honest about Carr and Murray as recruiters, they would get a D. This Murray as 2015 guy is fine but you can still have an idea of how well he is doing. It's like he has been on Mars. Player development? Maybe a B? If you are being generous. Who has gotten appreciably better over their time? EC got better. Hassan did. The rest? I'm not sure if anyone got a lick better and EC and Hassan could just be that they are really freaking good.

This is not an old boy's club. Hopefully, the new guy crushes it but Murray and Carr should be up for discussion. If you were running a business that was your livelihood, I am not sure I would keep them around for a third year. Of course, a lot depends on who else is out there, which might be the biggest reason to keep them.

and available $$$$
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Maybe Hurley's staff, other than Preston, has under-performed
and it's time to shake things up.
Adding players after the LOI period is CFL territory.
That's shopping at a KMart blue light sale.
's does not have BlueLight Specials?

Are you trying to say that Nordstrom's does not have Blue Light Specials?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm told by some who are close to the program that Murray is an excellent recruiter and if given the time he will prove that.
I've never heard that said about Carr, however.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Speculation... Was this visit to Pitt cancelled because Terrell is headed there?

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes sense, Iggy. Murray has a personality.

Carr doesn't seem nearly as outgoing.

This might be all moot anyway, but if I'm Dan, I can't let friendships get in the way of performance.

If Carr is doing a great job at player development, etc. he's not likely going anywhere. Recruiting jucos is a lower priority than 4 year players, imo.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I think I remember the Pitt staff having an opening after one of their assistants left for Kentucky...I doubt they'd hire an AAU coach with no proven track record, but just thought it was interesting.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Th.ought this would give some context of http://www.towsontigers.com/ViewArticle ... 149015Luke Murray when he wasat Towson
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, what about the guy who left OSU, who recruited
JT?

As for Murray, he was under one of the best recruiters around, Pat Skerry.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I know that OK St. has had several players leave the program recently, but what word has there been that Terrell decommitted because he was "recruited over?" Their current class has a couple of PGs and a 4* SF, but no one that would seem to have directly taken his spot as a starter.

Is that just something that was repeated here so often we now accept it to be true?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're being played like a violin. Time to stop the madness, Dan.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rambone 78 wrote:We're being played like a violin. Time to stop the madness, Dan.
By whom? Methinks by ourselves.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, his own AAU coach said,"It wasn't a good fit".
The close to home thing was a smokescreen.

We're not the only ones going nuts on this, believe me.
He's got staffs of two schools dangling and he's looking at
Pitt.
This has become a high maintenance recruitment.
If it was a Jabari Parker, sure, you'd do whatever you need to do.
JT is good, but is he worth this twisiting in the wind?
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey, his own AAU coach said,"It wasn't a good fit".
"It wasn't a good fit" is the equivalent of saying nothing. It certainly doesn't translate directly to "He was recruited over."
rodfromcranston wrote: This has become a high maintenance recruitment.
If it was a Jabari Parker, sure, you'd do whatever you need to do.
JT is good, but is he worth this twisiting in the wind?
High maintenance for this board? Certainly. Recruiting high-caliber player is difficult, especially for a school that has not had much recent success. It is worth taking the time to convince him, and even if he doesn't end up coming here, it would be wrong to say that it was misusing time and resources. The same people who want to cut JT loose are the same people who scream for the coaching staff to "Think Big." Well, this is what it looks like, and sometimes you miss. But you need to keep trying and don't give up at the first (or in this case, second) sign of adversity.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I doubt Dan is giving up, but it's getting complicated.
There are things happening behind the scenes making it so.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, what about the guy who left OSU, who recruited
JT?

As for Murray, he was under one of the best recruiters around, Pat Skerry.
His name was steve middleton, was with travis ford at UMass, been with him awhile. guessing that there is going to be something "not good" on okie state recruiting(what a surprise) and Middleton was the fall guy. Have not seen him surface anywhere yet, but if he does, that would be a school that would likely be in the hunt.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

sf2010 wrote:Maybe Hurley's staff wasn't composed to be entirely made up of ace recruiters and that was Preston's role, which Cox has been brought in to fill. Maybe Carr is supposed to be a player-development and in-game focused assistant, and maybe he's performing well in that capacity (something none of us would know). Maybe, as others have said, Murray was brought in and told to focus on 2015. Jury's still out. Wouldn't support running either of them out.
ATPTourFan wrote:The constant questioning of Carr's value has gotten way out of hand. Not all assistants have the same goals and deliverables.

Look at SF's post two before this one -- that makes sense.
I agree. We really have no idea what Carr's value is to the university, the program or maybe to Dan, for all we know he could be Dan's primary sounding board and important in that respect. I have no problem with shaking things up at the right time for the right reasons, but that's the kind of thing that I'd like to let happen without casting doubts on folks I have little idea about. If Carr is here for player development and X's and O's, then maybe his grade is better than we think.

Either way at this point I'd like to see a decision from JT that has nothing to do with any of his former coaches, handlers, advisers, etc., just a decision for himself based on his best feelings.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

sf2010 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Hey, his own AAU coach said,"It wasn't a good fit".
"It wasn't a good fit" is the equivalent of saying nothing. It certainly doesn't translate directly to "He was recruited over."

While "It wasn't a good fit" might not directly translate to him being recruited over, it also doesn't translate to the fact he wanted to be closer to home. It's a questionable statement that should not have been made.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

LET THE GIF PARTY COMMENCE!

Go Rhody!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

YESSSSSSS!!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Well, well, well... would you look at that?

:-)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

wow
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Welp, 62 pages of banter/doubt/excitement/more doubt....and then the bomb drops. What a fine Friday it is fellas. Let's all for once be in agreement here, happiness and excitement should be shared all around!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

See people, a little patience can go a long way!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

What are the chances this thread reaches 70 pages by the end of the day today?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Alex Kline @TheRecruitScoop · 2m
2014 SG Jared Terrell of Brewster Academy (NH) has committed to Rhode Island, per his coach.

Let's hear from J.T. himself………..Ooooops, I guess he did!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hooray! Welcome to Rhody, Jared. You and your new teammates will be dancing sooner rather than later!!!
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I HAVE GOOSEBUMPS

ITS A NEW DAY

I AM MID HEART ATTACK

I LOVE THIS TEAM

(this is why it's awesome to have emotional swings like a 7 year old girl, most of you will never know the joy I'm feeling right now)
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Is it too early to have a beer???? Yesssss!!!!!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And so many people don't even know yet. This is going to be so fun!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
Common sense is not common.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ace wrote:And so many people don't even know yet. This is going to be so fun!
Yeah I thought for sure we'd be on like page 65 already. It'll be buzzing by tonight I'm sure.