2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Is it better to do the opposite and wallow in hopelessness?

I will continue to speculate on incoming players with a hedge towards hopefulness versus not until proven otherwise on the court after a valid sample of games. Even more so when I consider Archie’s historic track record.
This year....you didn't need games....the scrimmage was plenty telling
That’s a good point but I am not able to attend live scrimmages or games as in the past to see things missed on Varsity or TV. Hence, my initial, hopeful speculations and expectations are developed and confirmed or not in a different way.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Just looked at the box score and Frenchie only played 16 min and Samb saw no action.

Was that simply Archie’s decision or are there injuries?
Samb was not dressed to play today. He was in sweats. Not sure if injured or not but he was not going in.

When Tchikou missed 2 point blank shots in a row having rebounded his own 1st miss I was thinking why don't you just grab the ball and dunk it - he is 6'11". Then I looked at Archie and I could swear Archie was thinking the same thing as Archie made eye contact with Tchikou who was now coming back up the court in the direction of the Rhody bench. Tchikou looked at Archie and kind of shrugged and smiled. Tchikou needs to get tougher and meaner. It's not just about getting in the weight room.
Ramster, I' m in agreement with you a lot lately. I not sure that Tchikou will ever be a good inside player. I believe that if we had a mid to upper mid talent A10 center on this team, we could have won 8 to 10 more games this year. And I am not convinced that Bilau is in that range. Now, 8-10 more wins still doesn't make us a good team, but it sure would make a lot of us feel a much better.
And I also think that Bassy starts at the point next season. Let's not dismiss the improvements he has made to his game. He needs to focus on making more of those runners in the lane. But a decent big man to dish it to would make him look a lot better. IMO it would take a very good rookie or an experienced transfer PG, to take his starting role away.
I can’t see Bassy starting next year @ all
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Samb was not dressed to play today. He was in sweats. Not sure if injured or not but he was not going in.

When Tchikou missed 2 point blank shots in a row having rebounded his own 1st miss I was thinking why don't you just grab the ball and dunk it - he is 6'11". Then I looked at Archie and I could swear Archie was thinking the same thing as Archie made eye contact with Tchikou who was now coming back up the court in the direction of the Rhody bench. Tchikou looked at Archie and kind of shrugged and smiled. Tchikou needs to get tougher and meaner. It's not just about getting in the weight room.
Ramster, I' m in agreement with you a lot lately. I not sure that Tchikou will ever be a good inside player. I believe that if we had a mid to upper mid talent A10 center on this team, we could have won 8 to 10 more games this year. And I am not convinced that Bilau is in that range. Now, 8-10 more wins still doesn't make us a good team, but it sure would make a lot of us feel a much better.
And I also think that Bassy starts at the point next season. Let's not dismiss the improvements he has made to his game. He needs to focus on making more of those runners in the lane. But a decent big man to dish it to would make him look a lot better. IMO it would take a very good rookie or an experienced transfer PG, to take his starting role away.
Hofstra?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hofstra?
And a year ago you couldn't see him starting this year
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hofstra?
And a year ago you were hoping you wouldn't couldn't see him starting this year
ftfy
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hofstra?
And a year ago you were hoping you wouldn't couldn't see him starting this year
ftfy
8-)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hofstra?
If he’s starting game 1 next year we will be in a world of hurt !!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Hofstra?
If he starts next year it will be a complete disappointment and you can guarantee that it will be another losing season. I can’t see Archie putting his reputation on Thomas.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

If he starts next year it will be a complete disappointment and you can guarantee that it will be another losing season. I can’t see Archie putting his reputation on Thomas.
If he starts next season Blue Man may resign as president of the Archie Miller Fan Club.

For me, I am not as down on him as some here are, and I am not even from RI.
I think he can play a role on an A10 team,
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can see a role backup point playing 10-15 minutes a night if he starts and plays 30 minutes plus we won’t be good
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah I can see a role backup point playing 10-15 minutes a night if he starts and plays 30 minutes plus we won’t be good
This is how I feel too reef. Back-up role to spell our starter. And limited like you say.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

If he starts next season Blue Man may resign as president of the Archie Miller Fan Club.

I understand why Bassy is playing - he literally is our only ballhandling option.

And if we're being completely honest - Bassy could be a decent role playing PG in the A10 if he does two things:

1) STOP. SHOOTING. THE. BASKETBALL.
2) STOP. FORCING. DUMB. SHIT.

Like he sees the floor well. He handles the ball well. For the most part he makes good passes. But he overestimates his abilities and he drives into the corner or into the trees, gets lost, panics, and throws the ball away. If the kid could just play inside of his game, distribute the ball, bring it up the court, break the press, key the offense - he'd be a solid role player. But the more he inserts himself into the game, the worse it gets for all parties involved.

I'd love the kid to prove me wrong - but like with Mike Powell and Jarelle Reischel and Dave Cox and Jermaine Harris - I just wind up being right. I don't like to be, because when I'm right about these things it just ends up being more pain for myself. I'd rather be wrong.

As for Archie - this is a culture building year. Honestly so is next year. If Bassy's playing it's because a) he's our best (or only) option at a particular position and/or b) he's doing everything right off the court and Archie is going to reward that to make a point.

It's nice to not have to worry about "if" the coach knows what he's doing. Doesn't make it any less painful to live through.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I understand why Bassy is playing - he literally is our only ballhandling option.

And if we're being completely honest - Bassy could be a decent role playing PG in the A10 if he does two things:

Like he sees the floor well. He handles the ball well. For the most part he makes good passes. But he overestimates his abilities and he drives into the corner or into the trees, gets lost, panics, and throws the ball away. If the kid could just play inside of his game, distribute the ball, bring it up the court, break the press, key the offense - he'd be a solid role player. But the more he inserts himself into the game, the worse it gets for all parties involved.

I'd love the kid to prove me wrong - but like with Mike Powell and Jarelle Reischel and Dave Cox and Jermaine Harris - I just wind up being right. I don't like to be, because when I'm right about these things it just ends up being more pain for myself. I'd rather be wrong.

As for Archie - this is a culture building year. Honestly so is next year. If Bassy's playing it's because a) he's our best (or only) option at a particular position and/or b) he's doing everything right off the court and Archie is going to reward that to make a point.

It's nice to not have to worry about "if" the coach knows what he's doing. Doesn't make it any less painful to live through.
I think that you along with most on this board feel that Archie needs to find an upgrade at PG this off-season.
If Bassy becomes our best option to start, based on all your comments regarding him this season, you will be extremely disappointed.
Let's face it, finding the right chemistry and building a competitive roster will define the success of the HC.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My only concern about Bassy is that he improve his shooting. We've had other PGs who were poor shooters - Carlos Easterling as a freshman. In ball handling, passing, defense and pushing the offense, Bassy is fine. The problem is the rest of the team; particularly C, PF and SF, I believe that Bassy will improve to be an average shooter next year. We have bigger needs than PG next year. Bassy needs to get more air under his shot.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since Bray was dismissed and Bassy has had to be a little more aggressive on offense, he's averaged 10 points and 4 assists per game. He has also shot 33% from three (6-18). Certainly not great stats, but not terrible for a role player going forward. I think he'll cut down on the mistakes as he matures too. I see his role as coming off the bench and pushing the tempo when we need a boost , and as I've said, for 10-15 minutes per game.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Since Bray was dismissed and Bassy has had to be a little more aggressive on offense, he's averaged 10 points and 4 assists per game. He has also shot 33% from three (6-18). Certainly not great stats, but not terrible for a role player going forward. I think he'll cut down on the mistakes as he matures too. I see his role as coming off the bench and pushing the tempo when we need a boost , and as I've said, for 10-15 minutes per game.
The raw totals look OK because he's played 28 to 38 minutes his last four games. In that span, he's averaged 35.0 MPG, 31 percent from the field, 9.8 points, 3 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.8 turnovers, 3.0 PF. His Per 40 minutes stats for the whole year are... 10.2 PPG, 4.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.6 steals, 2.9 turnovers, 3.8 PF. He's cut his turnovers and fouls slightly, but he's still the same inefficient player. He would need to improve to be a viable back-up PG. Right now, he's more of a third PG. Fine to keep around if he's a good practice player and teammate, but I think he's going to cede playing time once we have better options on the roster.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

The raw totals look OK because he's played 28 to 38 minutes his last four games. In that span, he's averaged 35.0 MPG, 31 percent from the field, 9.8 points, 3 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.8 turnovers, 3.0 PF. His Per 40 minutes stats for the whole year are... 10.2 PPG, 4.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.6 steals, 2.9 turnovers, 3.8 PF. He's cut his turnovers and fouls slightly, but he's still the same inefficient player. He would need to improve to be a viable back-up PG. Right now, he's more of a third PG. Fine to keep around if he's a good practice player and teammate, but I think he's going to cede playing time once we have better options on the roster.
So, he can't improve between his sophomore and junior years.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Think about being Bassy, this year, at the point and trying to decide who to pass to. Ish, OK. Carey, maybe. Malik, cross your fingers. Weston, maybe. Frenchie, not if he can help it. Not much to chose from. Give the kid some weapons and another year to mature and improve. You all might be surprised. And if Archie lands a 6'3 PG stud, Bassy becomes back up by year end. Get used to it, Either way, Bassy will play.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I said, URI has bigger issues for next year than replacing Bassy.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PG is the most impt position in cbb.
I’d say that position is at the top of the priority list to get figured out. If Bassy is anything more than a 10-15 mpg role player on next years team we will have issues.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

So, he can't improve between his sophomore and junior years.
Sure, he could! It would be awesome if he did. But, I'd note that his per 40 stats are already pretty flat, from freshman to sophomore years. (He's slightly up in points and turnovers, slightly down in assists, and his PER was 8.5 last year and 8.9 this year.) I think we should assume his production going forward is more akin to a third string PG, and be pleasantly surprised if he's good enough to be the primary backup.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Think about being Bassy, this year, at the point and trying to decide who to pass to. Ish, OK. Carey, maybe. Malik, cross your fingers. Weston, maybe. Frenchie, not if he can help it. Not much to chose from. Give the kid some weapons and another year to mature and improve. You all might be surprised. And if Archie lands a 6'3 PG stud, Bassy becomes back up by year end. Get used to it, Either way, Bassy will play.
Yes, but any of those players are better options to throw the ball to than the other team or the stands.

My concerns with Bassy aren't because he finds the open guy and they miss - it's that he makes poor decisions and panics. A poor decision for him includes shooting. At this point it even includes layups.

If we had a big who's shooting line was 41/27/56, people would be screaming at him not to shoot. Not to drive. Not to try to get to the line. It's way worse for that shooting line to be a guard who has the ball in his hand.

Again, I'd love him to improve. He definitely could. If he stays, I really hope he does.

Improvement would be hitting his ceiling as a capable backup PG. He very well could be if he just handled the ball and distributed, without trying to do anything else. But as others have said - if he's playing 20+ mpg next year we won't be very good.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Think about being Bassy, this year, at the point and trying to decide who to pass to. Ish, OK. Carey, maybe. Malik, cross your fingers. Weston, maybe. Frenchie, not if he can help it. Not much to chose from. Give the kid some weapons and another year to mature and improve. You all might be surprised. And if Archie lands a 6'3 PG stud, Bassy becomes back up by year end. Get used to it, Either way, Bassy will play.
Yes, but any of those players are better options to throw the ball to than the other team or the stands.

My concerns with Bassy aren't because he finds the open guy and they miss - it's that he makes poor decisions and panics. A poor decision for him includes shooting. At this point it even includes layups.

If we had a big who's shooting line was 41/27/56, people would be screaming at him not to shoot. Not to drive. Not to try to get to the line. It's way worse for that shooting line to be a guard who has the ball in his hand.

Again, I'd love him to improve. He definitely could. If he stays, I really hope he does.

Improvement would be hitting his ceiling as a capable backup PG. He very well could be if he just handled the ball and distributed, without trying to do anything else. But as others have said - if he's playing 20+ mpg next year we won't be very good.
I think he's clearly improved this year and I think he'll continue to improve.

Doubt it will be enough in the long run.

Maybe he's better than Estevez next year? He won't be better than whatever transfer PG we grab.

Assuming we get a transfer PG....please
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I think he's clearly improved this year and I think he'll continue to improve.

Doubt it will be enough in the long run.

Maybe he's better than Estevez next year? He won't be better than whatever transfer PG we grab.

Assuming we get a transfer PG....please
PRT, I don't disagree. If Archie does get a good transfer PG, Bassy will back him up. Estevez will get some time behind Ish and Dubsky some time on wing.