1/7 | La Salle | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/7 | La Salle | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wait till next year....or the year after...we will be better but by how much will tell us all we need to know. The A10 will not be invited to the party when the inevitable happens...a few A10 schools will join better conferences but will we? One last comment.

Was Ish hurt? If not, no excuse why he wasn't in there.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Wait till next year....or the year after...we will be better but by how much will tell us all we need to know. The A10 will not be invited to the party when the inevitable happens...a few A10 schools will join better conferences but will we? One last comment.

Was Ish hurt? If not, no excuse why he wasn't in there.
I think he took him out because he was taken contested 3s. But that’s only a guess
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That suckkkeedd this team has no idea how to win
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

This reminds me so much of dans first year where they were in every game and just couldn’t win
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago This reminds me so much of dans first year where they were in every game and just couldn’t win
But I bet Dan wouldn’t have his best player on the bench in crucial situations.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I'm looking forward to the recruits Arch brings in year 1. This is a slap together team.
The number 1 ranked recruit in the country is averaging 3 points and 2 rebounds this year at Duke.

We already have two recruits for next season.

There’s 4 kids left in the 24/7 Top 100.

Since that’s all you care about, next season is a failure if those kids go elsewhere right?

Transfers don’t count, you only care about Top 100 kids, so if we don’t land one of those kids from prep schools in FL and AZ, next season is a wash? Not gonna watch?
Nobody else is. I just watched the worst broadcast of a game ever. The 2 players are 2* players. Cmon man. 2* players? They are riding the bench next year.
Last edited by theblueram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 does not have a seat at the high table...
.its a fact people
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Can't wait to watch the one URI team that can beat LaSalle tomorrow.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Thomas is supposed to be a smart player. He made an inexcusable error. I didn’t have volume on so I thought Freeman fouled out. How can you possibly remove him at that point in time? I agree with teaching moments but not the last 4 minutes. Rory just isn’t ready; none of our bigs are other than Bilau. Play Freeman Ish Cary Martin Weston in four places and rotate the three bigs. Wow this program has a long way to go
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I'm looking forward to the recruits Arch brings in year 1. This is a slap together team.
The number 1 ranked recruit in the country is averaging 3 points and 2 rebounds this year at Duke.

Since that’s all you care about, next season is a failure if those kids go elsewhere right?

Transfers don’t count, you only care about Top 100 kids, so if we don’t land one of those kids from prep schools in FL and AZ, next season is a wash? Not gonna watch?
Nobody else is. I just watched the worst broadcast of a game ever. The 2 players are 2* players. Cmon man. 2* players? They are riding the bench next year.
Connor Rating.jpg
Cam Rating.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Please let this be rock bottom. Because I can't imagine it getting much worse at this point.
Last edited by adam914 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago This reminds me so much of dans first year where they were in every game and just couldn’t win
But I bet Dan wouldn’t have his best player on the bench in crucial situations.
Agree.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m not talking up the recruits next year. I’m just saying that you said you’re looking forward to the recruits he bring in next year.

We have 2, but yes those kids probably aren’t setting the world on fire next season.

There’s 4 Top 100 kids left from FL and AZ.

So according to your logic, without getting one of those last 4 kids, next season isn’t worth watching?

What if we land impact transfers? Oh yes, those don’t count in your eyes.

PC starts 5 transfers and is undefeated in Big East play, longest winning streak in 30+ years, and will be ranked come Monday.

Seems like transfers are actually worth looking into and not just high school kids.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago The A10 does not have a seat at the high table...
.its a fact people
The A10 has weekly Friday night showcase games on ESPN2.

The top A10 has a seat at the table.

We, however, do not.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

We do not have a go to guy. Out of the whole team who would you trust to have the ball with 5 seconds left to go. Who is the player that the other team has to worry about every time the ball is in his hand. We just do not have that player.

The transfer portal needs to be used to bring in a few players who may fit that description or close to it.
I believe 6 or 7 guys will not be on this team next year. Just can not happen
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Not a smart team right now. Would be nice if they smarten up for the A10 Tourney. We will see.

I can live with the losing for now but not the stupidity.
This has been a problem the last few years. Good coaching needs to eliminate dumb plays. The problem still exists. Even at the end with 9 seconds left our pillar smart veteran Martin chucks the ball in the seats. I definitely have hope as our offense is definitely for the most part better structured than under cox. But Archie needs to turn this roster over for next year. That's when we can hopefully get a gauge on whether he is going to get us where we want to be. Dumb plays should go away with good coaching and preparation. next year needs to be a big improvement year ..
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Coach was rightly fed up with Bray's play in the second half and had to sit him. URI immediately came back to take the lead. Bray has a lot of talent but is destructive to team chemistry.

Bassy is a more than capable backup point guard and really moves the offense. He has improved his FT shooting and is not an on-court liability at the end of games. No excuse for fouling a three point shooter.

We lost this game on defense against a team that played smaller than us. Next year is really year 1 for Archie for reasons I've posted too many times to repeat here.

There is only one player on this team who is not playing up to his talent level to help the team win. Archie will not let this guy get away with it as Cox did with Fatts.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m not talking up the recruits next year. I’m just saying that you said you’re looking forward to the recruits he bring in next year.

We have 2, but yes those kids probably aren’t setting the world on fire next season.

So according to your logic, without getting one of those last 4 kids, next season isn’t worth watching?

PC starts 5 transfers and is undefeated in Big East play, longest winning streak in 30+ years, and will be ranked come Monday.

Seems like transfers are actually worth looking into and not just high school kids.
WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT pc BESIDES YOU??????????????
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Please let this be rock bottom. Because I can't imagine it getting much worse at this point.
If not rock bottom, we can see rock bottom, it ain’t that far off.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

This roster was “slapped” together, yep cobbled together cause Archie was desperate. As I Stated somewhere, he opened shop with not much. I think much of the cobbled shoe will not be here next year. Their replacements might be marginally better talent wise, maybe a disgruntled immediate impact player will take a shot at Rhody. The less than competitive A-10 players should leave. However that decision is made. The thoughts of this group getting it together in time for March is vert unlikely. Archie must be scratching his head with with where to give the major minutes to and further build them into players that stay. Time already to commit to players he wants here next year, build that, the others sit, even is that is Martin. Tough to turn the page to next year, but that is our reality. Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT pc BESIDES YOU??????????????
Unfortunately everyone in the state cares about PC. No one cares about URI as can be seen in the real attendance. Players like Carey and Martin do nothing for the future of this program. This team is just awful. Archie needs to recruit better players next year. The talent is pitiful
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Wow I agree with 72 and PC15(twice)!

Bray often panics and tries to do too much and plays us right out of games when games start to slide away. Let's not even get into his D. Even though he might be our best player as bizarre as that might seem. Thomas just F'd up big time like Jr highish. He needs to play more conservatively all around. Don't try and hit the big three or make the big ally oop or make the big D play. Play solid that's it. You're not a big-time player if you try and be we're f'd. Know your role play with in it and you'll get minutes.

The portal has changed college Bball in my CYO opinion if Archie thinks we are going to build a sweet sixteen without some portal guys. I think we're F'd. Someone was saying we need four-year guys to play his D. Well, we might need to develop an Archie D portal style. An Carey is our best player and that's not saying much but he is. Hope Archie gets him to come back maybe it's possible with all the covid crap. He has more 1 yr upside than any of our guards currently on the roster.

I actually gave up after Quinnipiac and Brown and have actually been happy with the Baby steps after those games thought we'd have no chance of ever being in an away game after those games.

GO RHODY!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Couple of observations..

1) What was the camera guy smoking..? I’ve never watched a sporting event where you continuously missed game action. This was new to me.

2) I’m a huge Archie fan. Long time fan. But this has to be one of the worst games he’s coached in his career. I think he’d be the first to admit that.

3) We have to find a way to beat bad teams. LaSalle is not a good team and we gave this one away. Leaves a pit in your stomach.

4) I didn’t love the personnel decisions in this game. He’s got to play Weston more and let Bray learn on the fly. I like Rory long term but Hutch seems like a better fit for this team today.

5) Although he played a decent game, Thomas can’t make that mistake as a soph. Cost URI the game.

6) You’ve seen spurts of what you think are progress and strong play, but we need to string that together.

This loss killed me because the the team played well for 90% of the game and pissed it away. Tough to take as a player and a fan. Hopefully they learn from this one.
Last edited by SandorClegane 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT BASS BAIT
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago CUT BASS BAIT
Looking back at the comments during the game I was surprised how Archie's substitution pattern and distribution of minutes was criticized. Honeymoon is getting cut shorter?

Archie played Thomas 29 minutes:
1st half - 8 minutes
13:11 til 6:20
1:11 til halftime

2nd half - 17.5 minutes
17:25 til :05

OT - 3 minutes
3:48 til :31

At the 17:25 mark of the 2nd half Archie had seen enough as we fell behind 35-44!! He was not happy.
He took out Samb, Freeman and Leggett and put in Thomas, Stewart and Weston - to go with Martin and Carey

At 4:19 we had gone from behind 35-44 to ahead 63-60. Thomas played the entire time when he first subbed at 17:25 til :05 left.

Samb had a tough game defensively. He ended -17
Freeman was -11 and had 3 of his shots blocked
Martin was -9 and had a team high 4 turnovers.

Stewart was a team high +12 in 13 minutes of play
Weston was +6
Thomas was +7
The 2nd half comeback occurred when Archie subbed Thomas, Stewart and Weston 2.5 minutes into the 2nd half

Carey and Leggett were beasts on the boards with 11 rebounds each - they tied for game high in rebounds

Thomas had 3 of URI’s 5 Steals. 2 in the 2nd half catch up run and 1 in OT.

I felt Archie should have fouled with 3 seconds to go on the 3 point attempt when Thomas fouled. The shot could have gone in plus a foul. It's his call of course but most coaches would foul up 3 with 3 seconds left in the game. Thomas should not have fouled the 3 point attempt either. Archie showed his faith in Thomas bringing him back in for 3 minutes in the OT.

0D292D2D-E447-4DDE-B070-79F7C7D21D43.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Totally agree . I thought they should have fouled the firsy person to receive the in bounds pass with 9.9 seconds left . I was surprised that they didn't do it . That play in that situation is almost always a sure winner.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Luke, as the clocked ticked down from the 9.9 seconds it became more and more obvious that we should foul intentionally.
At 3 seconds left you foul. Our staff chose not to, not sure why.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Not a smart team right now. Would be nice if they smarten up for the A10 Tourney. We will see.

I can live with the losing for now but not the stupidity.
This has been a problem the last few years. Good coaching needs to eliminate dumb plays. The problem still exists. Even at the end with 9 seconds left our pillar smart veteran Martin chucks the ball in the seats. I definitely have hope as our offense is definitely for the most part better structured than under cox. But Archie needs to turn this roster over for next year. That's when we can hopefully get a gauge on whether he is going to get us where we want to be. Dumb plays should go away with good coaching and preparation. next year needs to be a big improvement year ..

Just rewatched the game. Martin's pass was deflected. He didn't lose the game for us, neither did Thomas. Blame the coach for not calling for the 2 shot foul.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Couple of observations..

1) What was the camera guy smoking..? I’ve never watched a sporting event where you continuously missed game action. This was new to me.

2) I’m a huge Archie fan. Long time fan. But this has to be one of the worst games he’s coached in his career. I think he’d be the first to admit that.

3) We have to find a way to beat bad teams. LaSalle is not a good team and we gave this one away. Leaves a pit in your stomach.

4) I didn’t love the personnel decisions in this game. He’s got to play Weston more and let Bray learn on the fly. I like Rory long term but Hutch seems like a better fit for this team today.

5) Although he played a decent game, Thomas can’t make that mistake as a soph. Cost URI the game.

6) You’ve seen spurts of what you think are progress and strong play, but we need to string that together.

This loss killed me because the the team played well for 90% of the game and pissed it away. Tough to take as a player and a fan. Hopefully they learn from this one.
Spot on !! Great post
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Jesus fucking Christ. A layup. A god damn layup.

And carey needs to be better. A step back long 2 with 12 seconds left wasn’t the shot.
Carey was the best player for us this game .

He makes those step backs consistently.

This is ALL on Archie today.

Played Rory too long. Didn’t play Weston enough. Played Thomas in critical moments which literally cost us the game.

This is on nobody but Archie today.
He doesn't make those consistently. It was terrible shot selection
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago BASSY HOW ARE YOU THAT DUMB
Now Archie takes him out.
Bassy has blackmail on not only half this boards users but Archie too I guess

D3 player that gets run on a D1 team
D3?
Skipping right past D2?

Our new $1.8 million per year is susceptible to blackmail?

Miller subbed in Thomas 2.5 minutes into the 2nd half along with Stewart and Weston. 1st 2.5 minutes were bad.

He kept Thomas in the rest of the way plus 3 minutes of the OT.

Subbed between Freeman, Leggett and Carey the rest of way but left Thomas in. Sending a message perhaps?

Would love to hear Miller’s thinking on why he left Thomas in.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When Freeman re-entered late in the second half, he played off-guard with Bassy at the point. Bassy moves the offense; with Bray at PG, there is no movement. Bray played well against Fordham but reverted to hus old game against LaSalle. Does GW mourn Bray's departure? Bray's listening to people other than Archie.

We shot a paltry 16 treys. LS covered our shooters and we didn't go inside to outside with the ball to defeat this..

It is not unusual to shoot more poorly on the road. Reasons include lighting and background. We need to take more treys and more shots. LS took 9 more shots than us. We need to shoot early and more often.

Poor defense is inexcusable; all it requires is brains and energy.

Carey is our most athletic player and not our most talented player.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I have faith Archie will take this program back to the NCAA but am very disappointed (and surprised) with him so far. If it were any Coach without the pedigree of Archie, he’d be getting annihilated by fans right now.
-his usage of Weston is baffling (reminds me of Walker)
-poor construction of the roster (everyone knew we needed shooters)
-calling TOs after a made basket
-losing games after large leads or at the end of games

I feel those are all issues we complained about in the not so distant past and still exist in our program. This team needs a whole other rebuild again next year. Hopefully he’s got better recruits/transfers up his sleeve because it’s probably not gonna be easy to get very good players to Kingston after a 8 win season.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago I have faith Archie will take this program back to the NCAA but am very disappointed (and surprised) with him so far. If it were any Coach without the pedigree of Archie, he’d be getting annihilated by fans right now.

I feel those are all issues we complained about in the not so distant past and still exist in our program. This team needs a whole other rebuild again next year. Hopefully he’s got better recruits/transfers up his sleeve because it’s probably not gonna be easy to get very good players to Kingston after a 8 win season.
Agree with this completely. Archie is getting a pass because of his past success at Dayton. The line we will be good when we are good is not so funny to me anymore. The players he brought in were a complete miss and I haven’t seen him do anything that will help next years team with Carey and Martin getting so many minutes. There will be at least 4 players that will not return to next years team which is a good thing.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Arch should get credit for going to an unconventional lineup and erasing a ten point deficit. I think he just stuck with Rory and a Bassy too long. Also Bassy had an absolute easy opportunity to foul Brickus inside 5 seconds and make him shoot 2 free throws. The data is in on that scenario you always foul late up 3. Too many things have to happen to lose in that scenario.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Should Thomas have acted on that knowing he should have fouled up 3 points? Or should the Coaching Staff have instructed Thomas (and any other Ram) to foul? The action was right in front of the URI Bench.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago I have faith Archie will take this program back to the NCAA but am very disappointed (and surprised) with him so far. If it were any Coach without the pedigree of Archie, he’d be getting annihilated by fans right now.

Agree with this completely. Archie is getting a pass because of his past success at Dayton. The line we will be good when we are good is not so funny to me anymore. The players he brought in were a complete miss and I haven’t seen him do anything that will help next years team with Carey and Martin getting so many minutes. There will be at least 4 players that will not return to next years team which is a good thing.
Never liked the “we will be good when we are good” line. Always thought if Cox had said the same line he would have gotten crushed for it. Always felt to me it meant just leave me alone, none of your business, don’t ask me that question, get lost. I get why he says it, never understood the love-fest that resulted from the comment.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Should Thomas have acted on that knowing he should have fouled up 3 points? Or should the Coaching Staff have instructed Thomas (and any other Ram) to foul? The action was right in front of the URI Bench.
No that call should have come from the bench. That was a poor coaching decision.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Should Thomas have acted on that knowing he should have fouled up 3 points? Or should the Coaching Staff have instructed Thomas (and any other Ram) to foul? The action was right in front of the URI Bench.
No that call should have come from the bench. That was a poor coaching decision.
Agree
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Agree
Every single coach in America should foul up 3 with under 10 seconds left.

It is the most obvious coaching decision to make in my opinion.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

….except ours……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago And Luke, as the clocked ticked down from the 9.9 seconds it became more and more obvious that we should foul intentionally.
At 3 seconds left you foul. Our staff chose not to, not sure why.
I actually disagree…stop the clock?
Free points?
We suck at rebounding, so liable to not get a possession, and even if we do…we suck at free throws.
So now instead of making them make a three, and the time spent getting the rebound after a miss will likely end the game…
we do all of the above, and in a BEST case scenario (where we make our two FTs) we do it all again but with 8 seconds to go, or maybe 7.

Roast away.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

For me, I guess we arm chair coaches can look over the decisions made, not made, execution etc etc. In year one of Miller Time, with the lack of talent across the board with this roster I can only go the hope the basketball IQ and talent will be upgraded for year two and beyond. On to the Bonnie’s and some home cooking. Did I think we would’ve where we are in year one of Miller time? No.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said in the recruiting thread, Archie has a LOT of work to do bringing in better talent, whether its freshmen or transfers. The coach always looks better with better players. We roasted Dan many times his first few years here. Archie will get the same treatment, it's just human nature.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Agree
Every single coach in America should foul up 3 with under 10 seconds left.

It is the most obvious coaching decision to make in my opinion.
Ehh not under 10 and not no matter what IMO. More like under 5 it’s a no brainer bc the combination of what needs to happen for you to lose is less likely given the time crunch. And in this time and situation it was there for the taking. Brickus was top of key with ball and like 6 seconds. Believe he executed a few dribble combos to try and create space from Bassy. That’s a perfect reach in situation foul say with 4 seconds left.

He needs to either then hit 1, intentionally miss and try to get a rebound and put back or they try to hit 2 and foul you again. However in latter scenario you are at the line with 2.5-3 seconds left. There only play is a half court heave no matter if you hit the free throws or not. Not enough time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I remember Archie's first year at Dayton. Reading their board, many on there wanted him tarred and feathered and gone.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's obvious we stink right now. I'd rather look more at the big picture, rather than focusing on individual plays in a game between 2 bad teams.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is true 78 and I agree. Right now what I would like to see is more Brandon Weston.