Games of interest - Rest of Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of interest - Rest of Season

Unread post by ramster »

February 4 Thursday Games
  • Duquesne vs Richmond (-5.5) 11am NBCSN
  • St Joseph's vs UMASS (-3) 1pm NBCSN
  • Rhode Island vs Dayton (-4.5) 3:30pm NBCSN
  • George Washington vs George Mason (-6.5) 5:30pm NBCSN
  • San Diego @ San Francisco (-8) 9pm
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Sounds like Collin Gillespie has a serious knee injury. Pretty sure that ends Nova's hope for a national championship.
I didn’t see them winning the national championship anyway, or even the Final Four, for that matter. I’ve always felt that Gillespie was highly overrated. If he’s out for the tournament, it certainly hurts their depth, but if others step up, they can still have some success.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

st joes not even attempting to play defense lol
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Sounds like Collin Gillespie has a serious knee injury. Pretty sure that ends Nova's hope for a national championship.
I didn’t see them winning the national championship anyway, or even the Final Four, for that matter. I’ve always felt that Gillespie was highly overrated. If he’s out for the tournament, it certainly hurts their depth, but if others step up, they can still have some success.
Same with me on Gillespie, never saw what the Announcers so often gush about over him. Villanova will be ok but not a National Championship candidate .
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thought Gillespie was a pretty solid PG who gets Nova good shots this injury puts a damper on their chances for sure
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

No games of interest for rest of season.. celtics, bruins, and a little more sox than last year.. see you in November live and in person..
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago No games of interest for rest of season.. celtics, bruins, and a little more sox than last year.. see you in November live and in person..
I like the NCAA tournament, no matter who is playing. One and done instead of a seven game series: you can’t beat it.
I’m rooting for a Gonzaga- Illinois final game. One team that’s been knocking on the door for a while and is poised to break it down and another team who hasn’t been a big player for a while.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago No games of interest for rest of season.. celtics, bruins, and a little more sox than last year.. see you in November live and in person..
I like the NCAA tournament, no matter who is playing. One and done instead of a seven game series: you can’t beat it.
I’m rooting for a Gonzaga- Illinois final game. One team that’s been knocking on the door for a while and is poised to break it down and another team who hasn’t been a big player for a while.
Me too it’s March madness baby I am still into all the action !!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
Me too it’s March madness baby I am still into all the action !!
Agree. It's especially exciting this year since we did without last March
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I will watch the tournament, it's one of my favorite times of the year.

Still, it's not the same with what's happened since last March.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dare I say, Go UConn?

Yes, I will.

Go UConn.
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They won at Seton Hall last night. Playing well. I will be rooting for them too.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Never ever. And I live in CT.

I hated UConn back in the 60's. Still do, although I like the women's team.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Never ever. And I live in CT.

I hated UConn, moreso Calhoun because of what an asshole and cheat he was.

I’ll never ever have once ounce of hatred for Hurley, so I’ll always cheer for and hope he has success in his career.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would you root for Hurley if he was PC's coach?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I only root for the guy vs Providence, otherwise, meh.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't blame Dan for leaving....he knew URI wasn't going to deliver on their promises, at least in the short term.

He wasn't a patient man, he knew URI couldn't sustain success without more program enhancements including a larger budget.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Would you root for Hurley if he was PC's coach?
Absolutely not, but you’re just throwing random stuff out there now.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

It's interesting to see that Arizona St is a 10.5 point dog vs Colorado tonight. I think they started the season against us ranked about #15. What happened to the Sun Devils??
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tough season for Bobby H and the Sun Devils for sure

I am pulling for UConn and DH also I like watching his teams play and they getting better like his teams usually do
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday March 5

8 Teams Remaining:
9-Duquesne vs 1-St Bonaventure (-7.5) 11am NBCSN
5-UMASS vs 4-St Louis (-7) 1pm NBCSN
7-Dayton vs 2-VCU (-4.5) 3:30pm NBCSN
6-George Mason vs 3-Davidson (-5) 5:30pm NBCSN

6 Teams OUT: URI, Fordham, Richmond, LaSalle, St Joseph's, George Washington

Boston College @ Miami (-3.5) 6pm ACCN
Old Dominion @ Western Kentucky (-7.5) 8pm
San Francisco @ Loyola Marymount 9pm
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

I’ll never ever have once ounce of hatred for Hurley, so I’ll always cheer for and hope he has success in his career.
There were only two jobs I couldn’t accept him slithering away for, and that was one of them. Screw him.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

None?
Even though he recruited and got a commitment from Jermaine Harris to URI? What do you think Hurley saw in Jermaine that you never did?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

None?
Even though he recruited and got a commitment from Jermaine Harris to URI? What do you think Hurley saw in Jermaine that you never did?
Recruiting misses will happen with literally every coach, and I can guarantee you if Hurley was coaching Harris, Harris would not have career lows in minutes played, point per game, rebounds per game, field goal %, and free throw % his junior year.

Junior year stats: Career worst 13.9 minutes per game, 3.3 points per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, 39.7 FG%, 42.4 FT%, continuously lost on defense

Yet people say he hasn't regressed and some even STILL defend his play on a nightly basis...lol
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

None?
Recruiting misses will happen with literally every coach, and I can guarantee you if Hurley was coaching Harris, Harris would not have career lows in minutes played, point per game, rebounds per game, field goal %, and free throw % his junior year.

Junior year stats: Career worst 13.9 minutes per game, 3.3 points per game, 2.8 rebounds per game, 39.7 FG%, 42.4 FT%, continuously lost on defense

Yet people say he hasn't regressed and some even STILL defend his play on a nightly basis...lol
So was it a recruiting miss by Hurley?
Was it an inability by David Cox to develop Harris?
A combination of both?
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

A combination of both?
[/quote]

To be fair, nobody ever talked about the impact his plantar fasciitis had on him.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

A combination of both?
To be fair, nobody ever talked about the impact his plantar fasciitis had on him.
[/quote]

I would have to think the biggest issues with Harris are that he was overrated coming out of HS, and then has been dealing with injuries that have stunted his development. Otherwise I can't figure it out. He doesn't look right when he's on the court. Whether it's here or somewhere else, I'm still pulling for him.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It's not completely random, UConn used to be HATED by our program before Calhoun killed the rivalry. I won't root for UConn, PC or UMass. That is my hate list. UMass gets a slight pardon from me sometimes in non-conference just because I want the A10 to be strong.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
It's not completely random, UConn used to be HATED by our program before Calhoun killed the rivalry. I won't root for UConn, PC or UMass. That is my hate list. UMass gets a slight pardon from me sometimes in non-conference just because I want the A10 to be strong.
I said it's completely random he's asking if I would cheer for Hurley if he ever coached at PC. I know some people here will cheer for them to wins games if we beat them, and I understand that because it helps our W look good, etc. I'll always just cheer for them to lose every single game.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

I said it's completely random he's asking if I would cheer for Hurley if he ever coached at PC. I know some people here will cheer for them to wins games if we beat them, and I understand that because it helps our W look good, etc. I'll always just cheer for them to lose every single game.
Personally I have a hard time ever rooting for UConn, just going back to those old bitter rivalry days. There was always a certain arrogance about them in regards to us. I was so glad when Sly snubbed them and came here.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago

A combination of both?
I would have to think the biggest issues with Harris are that he was overrated coming out of HS, and then has been dealing with injuries that have stunted his development. Otherwise I can't figure it out. He doesn't look right when he's on the court. Whether it's here or somewhere else, I'm still pulling for him.
[/quote]

Head Coaches go to watch their recruiting prospects play well before they offer them. Hurley saw Harris play in HS, as did Cox plenty of times with Harris being from the DMV. Whatever Harris was ranked is irrelevant to the Coaching Staffs.

So if Hurley (and Cox) missed on Harris it is on them - not on the fact that ESPN had Harris Ranked #90. I often read how so and so didn't live up to the hype. The hype matters nothing to the Coaching Staff. They see with their own eyes what they are getting.
Or was Harris really good in HS with good potential identified by Hurley/Cox but the development just didn't happen at the expected rate over 3 years. Or is the lack of progressive development is on the player himself? Or it is his foot injuries, hamstring injuries, etc that have kept him from practicing as he might want to? Or it is some combination of things? Is it Coaching that just didn't enable Harris to improve as much as he could have? Did Martin and Toppin depart partly because of that? All in all Harris is a URI player, he professionally bowed to both Mitchell's playing in front of him and losing his starting position that he held for 2 straight years. I'll continue to root for Harris and wish him the best if he decides to stay or move on.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago

A combination of both?
Head Coaches go to watch their recruiting prospects play well before they offer them. Hurley saw Harris play in HS, as did Cox plenty of times with Harris being from the DMV. Whatever Harris was ranked is irrelevant to the Coaching Staffs.

So if Hurley (and Cox) missed on Harris it is on them - not on the fact that ESPN had Harris Ranked #90. I often read how so and so didn't live up to the hype. The hype matters nothing to the Coaching Staff. They see with their own eyes what they are getting.
Or was Harris really good in HS with good potential identified by Hurley/Cox but the development just didn't happen at the expected rate over 3 years. Or is the lack of progressive development is on the player himself? Or it is his foot injuries, hamstring injuries, etc that have kept him from practicing as he might want to? Or it is some combination of things? Is it Coaching that just didn't enable Harris to improve as much as he could have? Did Martin and Toppin depart partly because of that? All in all Harris is a URI player, he professionally bowed to both Mitchell's playing in front of him and losing his starting position that he held for 2 straight years. I'll continue to root for Harris and wish him the best if he decides to stay or move on.
[/quote]

I'll root for him too obviously, he's on our team, and I hope he gets 15 and 8 next year.

The problem I just always have had, is that I know basketball (like everyone else here), so when I know and see bad basketball being played, and people defend that bad basketball all the time with zero rationale or reason, that's what gets me going on my rants about the kid.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Friday March 5

8 Teams Remaining:
9-Duquesne vs 1-St Bonaventure (-7.5) 11am NBCSN
5-UMASS vs 4-St Louis (-7) 1pm NBCSN
7-Dayton vs 2-VCU (-4.5) 3:30pm NBCSN
6-George Mason vs 3-Davidson (-5) 5:30pm NBCSN

6 Teams OUT: URI, Fordham, Richmond, LaSalle, St Joseph's, George Washington

Boston College @ Miami (-3.5) 6pm ACCN
Old Dominion @ Western Kentucky (-7.5) 8pm
San Francisco @ Loyola Marymount 9pm
47 - 39 St Bonaventure Leading with 14 minutes to go. Duquesne just scored 12 straight points in 1.5 minutes to cut the lead to 8. Technical on the Bonnies bench in a squabble just sorted out by the refs.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but wanted to point out that SB does not have a senior on the team. Everyone is back next year.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but wanted to point out that SB does not have a senior on the team. Everyone is back next year.
I mean unless Schmidt leaves for a High Major Program this team will be borderline top 15 team in the country next year easy. I think they may be the best program at developing players in the A10.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Bonnies probably just punched their ticket to the dance with that one.

Happy for them!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is, with all returning Schmidt just might stay another year to see what happens.

Come to URI after next season. Perfect timing?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Tre Mitchell is really good - he moves so well without the ball on a pick and roll, nice baby hook. Just so smooth.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but wanted to point out that SB does not have a senior on the team. Everyone is back next year.
Yes that is amazing they have everyone coming back , think they clinched there berth today and probably will be in the pre season Top 25 next year if everyone back . Does Schmidty stay one more year ??
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Yes that is amazing they have everyone coming back , think they clinched there berth today and probably will be in the pre season Top 25 next year if everyone back . Does Schmidty stay one more year ??
I feel like he probably will.

I mean Dan could have left after the 17 season, but he had a loaded team coming back. I'm sure it will be hard to pass up coaching his best Bonnie team ever.

Then they can try that promote from within thing...
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

St Louis wrapping up a comfortable win over UMASS. They are absolutely crushing them on the boards.
Should be a really tough semifinal game with The Bonnies tomorrow. It won’t be pretty: a hard fought game with neither team reaching 70 points, I predict.
I also feel that the winner of tomorrow’s game will win the championship.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I have Saint Louis winning the A10s but after watching Bonaventure today idk. Also how the hell did we beat that team??!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ibi Watson is currently 0-7, 0-2 on 3's with 0 points.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

That’s because VCU plays outstanding defense. Something this team was unable to do all season. The fact we own the blueprint to beat VCU is beyond me. This game would be closer if it were us instead of Dayton.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It will be a tough decision if BC offers. Go back home to your alma mater and an ACC job or stay for one more go around with a loaded team. At 58 this might be his last chance at the BC job if that was always the dream for him
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU beats Dayton by 5 still a decent chance the A10 gets 3 teams in the dance depending how things shape up around the country
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
I mean Dan could have left after the 17 season, but he had a loaded team coming back.
Besides, the Leg-humpers were still trying to gin up some trumped-up “cause” so they could fire Kevin Ollie without paying him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

None?
Do you think, if Hurley was still here...Jermaine would be better, worse, or the same as he is now?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

He would shoot less threes and be marginally better across the board probably. Def a little better on D.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

None?
Do you think, if Hurley was still here...Jermaine would be better, worse, or the same as he is now?

It’s quite literally impossible to be worse.

He would without question be better, just by default of how bad he is now.

If he gave us 7 and 5 this year (below average numbers for a 4* junior big man in the A10), that would be considered better.
Go Rhody