Week #4- Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #4- Games of Interest

Unread post by reef »

I do think 14-4 is a bit of a stretch with 13-5 maybe being our ceiling

Put it this way if we do go 14-4 in this conference get out your dancing shoes in March baby !!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Other than 1988 (14-4) and 2018 (15-3), URI has not done better than 13-5 in an 18 game schedule. They had a couple of 12-4 seasons as well. Historically speaking, 12-6 would not be surprising. But if they end up splitting games with VCU/Dayton/Davidson (a tall order) and win the rest of the games they are expected to, 13-5 or 14-4 are not out of the question. Difficult to obtain, yes, but not out of the question.

Looking back at the history, DH had 3 of the 6 best A10 records in URI's A10 history. Two 13-5 seasons as well as a 15-3. The other 3 are 14-4 (Penders) and two back to back 12-4 seasons (Skinner's last year and Daddy O's first).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think some of this misses the point. I had to put numbers into the prediction contest, and I thought that 20 wins and a A10 tourney run against this schedule could get them into the tournament. So I went with 6-6/14-4 as a way to make the point that I saw the season unfolding in such a way that the OOC portion could be a slog but that the team would hit its stride and rally in the league portion of the schedule. If they go 9-3 in OOC and then go 14-4 in the league, this would be a lock tournament team and one of the best regular seasons in the program’s history. So maybe it’s not 14-4, maybe it’s 12-6 or 13-5 but either way I expect the team to be one of the top teams in the conference and maybe battle for the top seed (although Dayton looks like they might run away with it right now, which I didn’t see coming into the season).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think with the unexpected emergence of teams such as UMass and Richmond, the middle of the A10 is going to be tough.

I think my prediction of 12-6 will turn out to be quite accurate.

The key is, don't lose to any of the bottom feeders such as Fordham, GW, and St. Joes.

9-3 OOC might be necessary to be in the conversation for an at large bid.