'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Josh has no other visits planned at this time.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Josh has no other visits planned at this time.
Can’t be definitive.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Josh has no other visits planned at this time.
Can’t be definitive.
At this time. You can be definitive with a point in time. That doesn’t mean he will not schedule something in the future.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Well, those goes that theory....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I guess it’s technically legal and all that, but having two of your kids on the roster to hypothetically extend those scholarships is quite the move.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Package deals for players who grew up together or play AAU together for years or play at the same prep school together rarely actually happen. Package deals for players who met and got along on a weekend visit I think just got invented in this thread.
If Foster and Ogundele go to Iowa its because both individually really want to play there.
PC didn't offer Ogundele to get to Foster. PC offered Ogundele because they aren't hitting on their other targets including Foster.
well said and hopefully puts the conspiracy theories to bed.
I wouldn’t call it a conspiracy theory. Foster has narrowed his list and PC is included in his Final 5. PC has just recently offered Ogundele. Cooley has seen Ogundele and BABC play many times this past summer.
Ogundele and Foster visited Iowa at the same time and hung out together on a Football Weekend.
It will be interesting to see where both guys end up. Foster being a Top 50 ESPN 7-footer would be a humongous coup for Big Ed. Especially since he is from Iowa and has both Iowa and Iowa State in his final 5. Cooley can offer playing time, the BE Conference, City life, life away from home.
We will know soon. I’ll take a wild guess that Foster and Ogundele both end up at PC but obviously Foster is huge being Top 50, whereas Ogundele is Top 300.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I’ll take a wild guess that Foster and Ogundele both end up at PC but obviously Foster is huge being Top 50, whereas Ogundele is Top 300.
Ramster, you've had a ton of pro-PC takes recently (more positive than me). I think you are on the wrong site, I'll warm up your seat on Scout Friars. :lol: :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramster is going to the Dark Side?

Say it ain't so!

Just kidding.....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Pretty soon, Ramster will be telling us what a great player Junie Ferro was.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Josh is going to make his decision in November.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago I’ll take a wild guess that Foster and Ogundele both end up at PC but obviously Foster is huge being Top 50, whereas Ogundele is Top 300.
Ramster, you've had a ton of pro-PC takes recently (more positive than me). I think you are on the wrong site, I'll warm up your seat on Scout Friars. :lol: :lol:
All ready for Halloween! like my costume?
C4C6169E-2ABA-4030-A415-613CBBEE90DB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
One time long ago when I was posting on Scout Fryers my seat got so warm (hot) that the Mods banned me :cry: :cry:
Oh well. I’m read only over there ever since.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At my age I need to preserve as many brain cells as possible. Therefore I don’t visit the PC Scout Board.
Slava Ukraini!
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There goes the PC theory of offering Ogundele to get Foster.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or maybe the strategy was to offer Ogundele as a last ditch effort to get Foster, plus then have Ogundele as a back up in case Foster does not select the Fryuzzzz.
Cooley knows Ogundele, has seen him play many times with BABC. Says something about Cooley offering Ogundele this late. Cooley has not been killing it in the 2020 recruiting trail as he had hoped. Of course getting Timberlake could be a big step forward should it happen.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Or maybe the strategy was to offer Ogundele as a last ditch effort to get Foster, plus then have Ogundele as a back up in case Foster does not select the Fryuzzzz.
Cooley knows Ogundele, has seen him play many times with BABC. Says something about Cooley offering Ogundele this late. Cooley has not been killing it in the 2020 recruiting trail as he had hoped. Of course getting Timberlake could be a big step forward should it happen.
They aren’t getting Timberlake. You really are drinking the Friar Kool Aid. They are something like 0-5 on top 150 where they made the recruits final list.

Also, what does that tell you (and Josh) if Cooley has seen him play a lot for 1+ years and hadn’t offered him by Sept of his Sr year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Or maybe the strategy was to offer Ogundele as a last ditch effort to get Foster, plus then have Ogundele as a back up in case Foster does not select the Fryuzzzz.
They aren’t getting Timberlake. You really are drinking the Friar Kool Aid. They are something like 0-5 on top 150 where they made the recruits final list.

Also, what does that tell you (and Josh) if Cooley has seen him play a lot for 1+ years and hadn’t offered him by Sept of his Sr year.
It tells me why Ogundele is ranked #296. And having seen Ogundele play myself, several games where Cooley was also in attendance, that Ogundele is not underrated at #296.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will save DC Rams a post 😜. He would say, I will take the evaluation of David Cox, Iowa and Cincinnati over some rating service.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Since you love to speculate, maybe the strategy was to offer Ogundele to bring in Foster if there really was the belief they wanted to play together. Now that Foster has eliminated the Friars, they are no longer interested in Ogundele by himself. Just as likely as your scenario.

Not losing sleep over this either way. They guy is ranked #296, and you state that he is properly ranked. If he picks PC that would suck, but no use getting all worked up over something that may or may not happen.

And what is with your love affair with Ed Cooley and the Friars anyway? Me, like most die hard Rhody fans that I know, cannot stand the Friars for a multitude of reasons, the most obvious one being that they have the most obnoxious and out of touch fan base of any team that I know of. Please do not tell me you are one of those fake dudes that roots for the Friars when they are not playing URI. I would argue that would be an impossibility for a die hard Rhody fan, just as I do not buy the Friar fan saying the opposite when URI is involved. A casual fan, sure, not one who is emotionally connected with either team.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I will save DC Rams a post 😜. He would say, I will take the evaluation of David Cox, Iowa and Cincinnati over some rating service.
You are a gentleman, and a scholar. :D
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

If Josh is # 296..... doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just a reminder below.

Cyril Langevine PG ·
6-7 ·
225 ·

High School
Rhode Island

Home Town
Kingston, RI
247Sports Composite®


Natl.
326 History

Often the scouting sites don't know Jack %#$$!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I'm hip to this logic by Chico.

Also, it can be more difficult to evaluate a big man watching AAU ball and the like, when he's moving in a sea of smaller, quicker scat players, as opposed to how that would translate to playing against Div 1 college level big men in the paint, where physicality is going to make an immediate impact, particularly in the A-10.

Do I think he's going to be an immediate starter at this level? Probably not, BUT I think you could see a linear course over the first year, where he is playing 20 minutes a game by the A-10 tourney and taking a lot of key fouls and making surgical plays. Also, I don't think we are really all that bothered if he wants to step out once in a while and hit the occasional J, if he can indeed hit them. Even Arigbabu who I mentioned earlier could hit the mid range jumper. I think it's more important that our players (pardon the Jim Baron speak) "get the ball in the basket", period, not necessarily how they get the ball in the basket.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Ogundele would need to develop his Fr year but would start and be a significant contributor the other three years.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Josh Ogundele will be at URI’s Alumni & Family Weekend tomorrow. Unofficial visit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Verbal to follow.

We hope.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Josh Ogundele will be at URI’s Alumni & Family Weekend tomorrow. Unofficial visit.
Well with the sold out football game, the exhibition and the soccer match it's a great weekend to visit. Plus tomorrow is going to be great weather. Talk about a perfect day for a recruit to see URI!!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Josh did say a while back that he would likely verbally commit a couple or so weeks before the signing period begins.

If so things look like a perfect setup for him to pull the trigger this weekend. Him coming back here now is a great sign imo.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Josh did say a while back that he would likely verbally commit a couple or so weeks before the signing period begins.

If so things look like a perfect setup for him to pull the trigger this weekend. Him coming back here now is a great sign imo.
They will press him to commit this weekend.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He isn’t going to commit until November around the NLOI signing period.

He is on an unofficial visit so I don’t think URI can pay for hotel.
My guess is he will just be on campus thru the basketball game and then head back to Worcester.

Great sign that he is visiting again after the Iowa visit, Cincinnati visit and PC offer.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago He isn’t going to commit until November around the NLOI signing period.

My guess is he will just be on campus thru the basketball game and then head back to Worcester.

Great sign that he is visiting again after the Iowa visit, Cincinnati visit and PC offer.
Is he taking unofficials to Cinci and Iowa?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago He isn’t going to commit until November around the NLOI signing period.

Haha, no. Recruits have to pay for their transportation and lodging on unofficial visits. School can’t take them out to a meal and pay. They can eat in a group on campus.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Haha, no. Recruits have to pay for their transportation and lodging on unofficial visits. School can’t take them out to a meal and pay. They can eat in a group on campus.
I get that. But Rhode Island is a bit further than Iowa and Cinci, hence my question.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Last time I looked, Worcester was in Mass.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is this who Sutton went to see yesterday?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why did I think he was from Iowa?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Foster is from Iowa. Or is it the twins?

I still think he could commit this weekend.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Is this who Sutton went to see yesterday?
If Sutton took a plane from Warwick RI to Worcester MA we have a big problem.
I believe Sutton is visiting’21s and ‘22s.

There should also be some ‘21s and ‘22s visiting tomorrow.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He's just driving down from Worchester. Or maybe taking the train?

Overnight trip for most RIers, I know. Sounds like his parents might be here in the area, so they might stay overnight of their own doing.

I'm not sure where he is from in England, but he recently told one of the Iowa websites "East London", which isn't far from Essex, where my wife comes from and my in laws still live.

Southend, Essex, is due East of London, by way of the overground (train). The distance, the last time we rode it, seemed like a similar distance from Attleboro to Boston on the train, just East to West instead of South to North. It could possibly be longer, like Providence to Boston, and their trains are just faster? Not sure.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s closer to a decision than we all think. I’d expect to hear something by the end of next week.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago If Josh is # 296..... doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just a reminder below.

Cyril Langevine PG ·
6-7 ·
225 ·

High School
Rhode Island

Home Town
Kingston, RI
247Sports Composite®


Natl.
326 History

He’s grown a lot since his point guard days... :lol: :lol:
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm hip to this logic by Chico.

Also, it can be more difficult to evaluate a big man watching AAU ball and the like, when he's moving in a sea of smaller, quicker scat players, as opposed to how that would translate to playing against Div 1 college level big men in the paint, where physicality is going to make an immediate impact, particularly in the A-10.

Do I think he's going to be an immediate starter at this level? Probably not, BUT I think you could see a linear course over the first year, where he is playing 20 minutes a game by the A-10 tourney and taking a lot of key fouls and making surgical plays. Also, I don't think we are really all that bothered if he wants to step out once in a while and hit the occasional J, if he can indeed hit them. Even Arigbabu who I mentioned earlier could hit the mid range jumper. I think it's more important that our players (pardon the Jim Baron speak) "get the ball in the basket", period, not necessarily how they get the ball in the basket.
In Nike EYBL Ogundele is playing against top quality competition. The players are not smaller than D1 College Teams. Defense is high level as is rebounding. Many teams have starting line ups with all 5 starters being Top 150 Nationally. All of the Top Head Coaches in the Nation are watching. 75% of the ESPN Top 100 are typically represented at Peach Jam on 24 Teams.

I posted Ogundele’s Nike EYBL AAU stats for 18 games playing for BABC this summer - his team was the worst in AAU going 1-17.

Ogundele played 18 games for BABC. I saw him play a few times. Matt Cross was the big scorer and rebounder for BABC.
BABC was not very good going only (1-12) in Season play.

Ogundele key stats in 18 AAU games this summer:
11.3 points per game
8.5 rebounds per game and improved significantly At the end of the season
54.9% FG
48-106 FT for 45.3%
Only 5 steals and only 13 blocks in 18 games.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago If Josh is # 296..... doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just a reminder below.

Cyril Langevine PG ·
6-7 ·
225 ·

High School
Rhode Island

Home Town
Kingston, RI
247Sports Composite®


Natl.
326 History

Langevine played high level HS at The Patrick School and his team got as high as Top 10 USA Today Nationally.
Interesting you bring up Langevine as an example because even the beginning of last year quite a few posters were down on him. I created a separate thread on Langevine as he was much improved over Freshmen and Soph years especially his inside shooting and inside moves. He has progressed a lot. Whereas Tertsea and Layssard did not. So a lot is about a players upside.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think Foster is from Iowa. Or is it the twins?

I still think he could commit this weekend.
Foster and the twins are all from Iowa
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago
Since you love to speculate, maybe the strategy was to offer Ogundele to bring in Foster if there really was the belief they wanted to play together. Now that Foster has eliminated the Friars, they are no longer interested in Ogundele by himself. Just as likely as your scenario.

Not losing sleep over this either way. They guy is ranked #296, and you state that he is properly ranked. If he picks PC that would suck, but no use getting all worked up over something that may or may not happen.

And what is with your love affair with Ed Cooley and the Friars anyway? Me, like most die hard Rhody fans that I know, cannot stand the Friars for a multitude of reasons, the most obvious one being that they have the most obnoxious and out of touch fan base of any team that I know of. Please do not tell me you are one of those fake dudes that roots for the Friars when they are not playing URI. I would argue that would be an impossibility for a die hard Rhody fan, just as I do not buy the Friar fan saying the opposite when URI is involved. A casual fan, sure, not one who is emotionally connected with either team.
Go read Jim Baron 2.0.
Go see how many of your die hard Rhody Fans were supporting Dan Hurley
I was 1 of 3 posters supporting Hurley throughout that stupid thread. I said let Hurley play out through the end of his 5th season to see if he gets his goal of Rhody to the NCAA in 5 years.
Many of your die hard YRI fans were wanting Thor to fire Hurley or give him one more season before firing him.
The rest is history as Hurley did win the A-10 for the first time since Lamar Odom and Jim Harrick. I Enjoyed reconnecting with Lamar Odom and Jim Harrick in Sacramento for the Big East Creighton win and the heartbreaking loss to Oregon
Haven’t missed a PC - URI game in 30 years home and away and guess what? I don’t root for PC Ever EVER EVER in any sport. Was rooting for URI against PC in soccer, and any sport they ever participate in. I want PC to lose every game in every sport.
I was kicked off the PC Rivals Message Board many years ago for conduct unbecoming. It I was far less controversial that PC fans who have frequented this URI board.
I experienced first hand Dave Gavitt screwing URI with the formation of the Big East - it was mean, unfair and retaliatory for the Sly Williams saga.
I have had die hard Rhody Fans telling me I should root for PC when they are not playing URI because that will help URI. Many times over the years this comes up and my answer is always NEVER will I root for that PC team - NEVER.

Go read Jim Baron 2.0 and see what Ram fans were saying. Go read that and then feel free to question my URI loyalty.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramster AAU stats over the top. You obviously love AAU. To say AAU defense is at a high level is comical btw.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

He’s closer to a decision than we all think. I’d expect to hear something by the end of next week.
End of next week as in November 3rd? I was told he is planning to make a decision in November and signing during the NLOI period.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster AAU stats over the top. You obviously love AAU. To say AAU defense is at a high level is comical btw.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

You think the top Head Coaches in the country are flying to Atlanta, LA, Dallas, Indianapolis and South Carolina and are not interested to see how the players they are recruiting play defense?

You thing Dan Hurley is not focused on the defensive intensity and skills that these players are exhibiting?

The most impressive thing I see in AAU ball is the absolutely suffocating defense that is played. I often read posters say AAU Coaches are weak and that the games are not about defense. Not true.
Defense is a huge part of the game.

You call me comical? You don’t know wtf you are talking about if you think defense is not an important part of AAU ball.

Are you telling me also defense is not a priority on the Hoophall games in Springfield? These kids are hungry for scholarships to the highest level they can attain.

Tertsea and Layssard did not see the floor under Hurley because of defense. That’s not comical, that’s reality - defense matters with most Coaches.
With Jim Baron defense was a low priority. 3 point defense was weak as was defense against fast breaks.
Hurley had URI among the Top 3 point defenses in the country.
Hurley put high priority on defense in recruiting. You definitely see the defense on display in AAU and in Top High School basketball tournaments soon to start up.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I agree with much of what you said.

I will say that Div 1 college ball is different than AAU ball and Pro ball, because Defense is the great equalizer. Why does Cinderella sometimes upset a top tier team? Well, we are assuming up front that they can put points on the board, it's the Defense that allows them to close the gap.

For that reason, say what you want about the A-10, but the A-10 is a very physical conference, always has been. I don't think it will be obvious how much upside or not someone like Ogundele has until he steps on the court, particularly in conference games.