11/13 | at Charleston Cougars | 7PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 11/13 | at Charleston | 7PM

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wait so a team with a brand new coach full of freshman isn't perfect?!!! I'm so confused on what people expected at this point of the year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago Wait so a team with a brand new coach full of freshman isn't perfect?!!! I'm so confused on what people expected at this point of the year.
There seems to exaggerations on both sides of last night’s performance.
The doom & gloom is Fatts should have to walk home.
The overreaction to that is this post of a new coach and a team full of freshmen.

URI starts a redshirt Jr, Jr, Jr, Soph & Fr.
David Cox is in his 5th year.
Let’s pump the brakes on both sides of this.

Last night was a disappointment but not totally unexpected.
This team will have ups and downs this year. Treat it like the 2015-16 year. We are building for the following two years.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago Wait so a team with a brand new coach full of freshman isn't perfect?!!! I'm so confused on what people expected at this point of the year.
The overreaction to that is this post of a new coach and a team full of freshmen.

This team will have ups and downs this year. Treat it like the 2015-16 year. We are building for the following two years.
It may be a very slight over exaggeration. Dowtin is the only returning starter. CL and Fatts are adopting new roles and responsibilities. CT has been out for TWO SEASONS. After them we have four TRUE FRESHMAN, that will need to produce and play significant minutes. We have a first time head coach, who’s still figuring out what works and what doesn’t.

I do agree, we will have some highs and lows this season, I’m just looking for growth and development.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to see Fatts go to the hoop early. Sometimes all a streaky shooter needs is to see the ball go through the net, whether it be a layup or a free throw. Confidence is a big factor for a scorer/shooter.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rough night for Fatts...oh well, keep chucking it up there!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't look at what year the player is I look at experience. We have three guys that were in the rotation last year. Three. One was a consistent starter. We have too many new roles and faces to expect to win on the road against a good team in the second game of the year.

We were in it late in the game and that's all I could ask for.

Down six with the ball Fatts throws up a long three. That explains what this team is right. Talented but inexperienced.

This team will be very tough to beat once they gel.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

But those 3 players have experience. NCAAT experience and Conference Tournament experience. Can't get much more than that in two years. Since we have a top 50 freshman class, let's see who gets the first A10 freshman of the week award.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago But those 3 players have experience. NCAAT experience and Conference Tournament experience. Can't get much more than that in two years. Since we have a top 50 freshman class, let's see who gets the first A10 freshman of the week award.
Lights are quite a bit brighter now. Supporting casts are rarely remembered, the stars are.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago But those 3 players have experience. NCAAT experience and Conference Tournament experience. Can't get much more than that in two years. Since we have a top 50 freshman class, let's see who gets the first A10 freshman of the week award.
Lights are quite a bit brighter now. Supporting casts are rarely remembered, the stars are.
I think many remember Cyril, Jeff and Fatts. They were stars on the brightest of stages. Or are you saying is what we have left is no stars?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would co-sign this
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Did Fatts play the point last night with Dowtin the 2 or did they share point duties? It seemed to me it was intentional that Fatts acted predominately more like the point in the first half and once Dowtin took it back we turned it around. What does everyone else think?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
I think many remember Cyril, Jeff and Fatts. They were stars on the brightest of stages. Or are you saying is what we have left is no stars?
The Stars were Batman and Batman.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

On another note Michigan is currently wiping the floor with Villanova at Villanova. Making me feel better about last night.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Batman and batman are gone. That's when juniors step into the role. That's what depth is. They are expected to take over and lead as juniors.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sure but there is obviously going to be some transition period where guys grow into those roles. If it’s February and this is still a concern for you, then we will be on the same page. Until then, I think you’re being unreasonable, frankly.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago On another note Michigan is currently wiping the floor with Villanova at Villanova. Making me feel better about last night.
Michigan up 44-17 at half and the game is at Villanova.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sorry, with a top 50 freshman class, and three upperclassmen with NCAAT experience I find it hard to give a pass on last night.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Villanova had a top 10 class last year. This evening against Michigan their freshmen are shooting 20% from the floor and 0% from 3 point land. Not a larger sample but just the same. As a team, Villanova shot 24% from the floor and 20% from three In the first half. It seems we are not alone. Did I mention Villanova is ranked number 8 in the country.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Sorry, with a top 50 freshman class, and three upperclassmen with NCAAT experience I find it hard to give a pass on last night.
Sounds like a personal issue.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Sorry, with a top 50 freshman class, and three upperclassmen with NCAAT experience I find it hard to give a pass on last night.
Yes, I'm personally offended by 34% fg,10% 3pt and 53% FT.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Yes, I'm personally offended by 34% fg,10% 3pt and 53% FT.
Get over it. The players will.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......on to Harvard......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just another thing the players have to get over. Fan discontent. All part of the process.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I always wonder how many of the KB members go to the games. I realize supporters live far away from RI.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Does anyone actually read other teams game threads? Check the Villanova thread. Ya think they are praising their team right now? Get over it.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree with 83 that this team is not as young as the board says it is. If Preston ends up in the rotation then we're playing 5 upperclassmen. That being said, last night's result is not unexpected, IMO. COC is a pretty good team; they would do just fine in the A10. I also think we are going to have to live with a number of these sorts of games from Fatts as he learns how to play as the number-one scoring threat. We need a couple of the freshmen to develop and contribute this year. Hopefully we're a lot better by mid Jan.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Blueram, Who is praising Rhody’s performance last night? What some are saying is have patience with the team
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No one is praising that performance for sure. And sure we have patience. But when you lay a stinker, like last night, you have to take the heat. It's an in game thread. People are commenting on individual plays. Some of you act like a negative on a game thread is an indictment on the team for the season.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago No one is praising that performance for sure. And sure we have patience. But when you lay a stinker, like last night, you have to take the heat. It's an in game thread. People are commenting on individual plays. Some of you act like a negative on a game thread is an indictment on the team for the season.
Haha ok, then don’t use the word praise or compare a nova game when they are getting smoked by 30 to a Rhody game where, yes the 1st half was abysmal, but I give them credit for responding and playing a much better 2nd half, especially for a younger team or newer role players
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts post on IG “Another lesson learned”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I rarely chime in after games like this for fear of knee-jerk reaction posts that I later regret. One thing that I think only 1 or 2 other people pointed out that really bothered me last night was the decision making of the upper classmen in the last few minutes. I am giving the freshmen the time to adjust (hopefully they start making those lay-ups). Jeff, on the other hand, is usually so reliable just throwing the ball to no one turning it over with a bit over a minute left irked me. Cyril and Ryan both, to quote Doc Rivers, played "hero ball" with those mid-range jump shots with time still on the shot clock. It was the decision making by the upperclassmen in crunch time that disappointed me. The game was between 5 and 7 points at the time of those blunders. I've moved on and think they can right the ship against a good Harvard team.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Believe me I wish that Cole Swider was in a Rhody uniform but did anyone else see what this very highly rated freshman did the other day vs Quinnipiac in a game at HOME which Nova won 86-53. In 11 minutes he shot 0-5 and fouled out.
I think this represents why we should give our guys a little slack after playing the second game in their careers. Our guys played meaningful minutes on the road. I was disappointed in the game last night like everyone else but let's give these guys a chance to get some experience.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I always wonder how many of the KB members go to the games. I realize supporters live far away from RI.
I’m always there!
Pjhugnkiss
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Pjhugnkiss »

I liked the resilience — they didn’t spiral and turn this into a 20+ pt beatdown. But Jeff needs to be the QB, he has the composure and has shown it in big moments, even as a freshman.

I always get a kick out of the radio broadcasts when streaming these games. As someone mentioned earlier, I loved the Charleston analyst fawning over Langevine. He looks great — Can’t wait to watch him and Konate on WV fist fight at Mohegan in December, guy’s the most barbaric big man in the ncaa.

As for the freshman, time will tell. Martin looks the most confident and I’m not a fan of silvieros hair.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago No one is praising that performance for sure. And sure we have patience. But when you lay a stinker, like last night, you have to take the heat. It's an in game thread. People are commenting on individual plays. Some of you act like a negative on a game thread is an indictment on the team for the season.
Haha ok, then don’t use the word praise or compare a nova game when they are getting smoked by 30 to a Rhody game where, yes the 1st half was abysmal, but I give them credit for responding and playing a much better 2nd half, especially for a younger team or newer role players
Also, just a hunch, but I think Villanova fan expectations for this season are slightly different than our expectations for URI.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I always wonder how many of the KB members go to the games. I realize supporters live far away from RI.
I go to as many as I can.
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
I've been to every home game the last 2 years and the 1 game this year. Went to the Dunk 2 years ago and will go again this year. Will also be at WVU game. I've seen every minute of all of those games in person. I'm struggling to think of a minute of any away game I haven't seen either live on TV or streamed on my computer in the last 3 years.

Echoing what most on this board have said....Patience Patience Patience. The real challenge will be to keep the Ryan Center as filled as possible even though there are going to be struggles, home losses and poor performances. If you are at least emotionally invested in this team for the long term, accept the pain and support them in the short run...
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
I've been to every home game the last 2 years and the 1 game this year. Went to the Dunk 2 years ago and will go again this year. Will also be at WVU game. I've seen every minute of all of those games in person. I'm struggling to think of a minute of any away game I haven't seen either live on TV or streamed on my computer in the last 3 years.

Echoing what most on this board have said....Patience Patience Patience. The real challenge will be to keep the Ryan Center as filled as possible even though there are going to be struggles, home losses and poor performances. If you are at least emotionally invested in this team for the long term, accept the pain and support them in the short run...
Spot on
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I never hesitate....I always come...it's so much fun....

.....Thank you Rick James.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I live in NJ , but I went to the Exhibition and the opener and I also have a 5 game Mini Plan . Will probably go to one or two other in addition
as the season rolls along and maybe one in Philly. Have gone to all the A10 tournament games the past two seasons and every year it was in AC.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

I would co-sign this
I refuse to believe this is like that 2015-2016 year. We still have Jeff Dowtin, arguably the best or most important player on the team the past two years. The A10 is still not as strong as it was 3 years ago.

We are building for December of this year. Playing AT CoC the second game of the year is part of that build up.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I go to all home games and a select few road games.

I like Brooklyn for the A10 tournament. I've gone there too.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

"I refuse to believe this is like that 2015-2016 year. We still have Jeff Dowtin, arguably the best or most important player on the team the past two years. The A10 is still not as strong as it was 3 years ago."

I see a lot of parallels to 2015-2016 except we had a better team that year. We had Jared ( an NBA signee), Hassan, Jarvis and Kuran and 5th year senior Four Mcglynn all average in double figures. Jared and Jarvis were sophs='s, kuran and Hass were juniors and Four was a 5th year senior.

That team was more experienced and just as talented if not more. This team must get significant contributions from at least one of the
freshmen if not 2 to have a chance of smelling the post season. I don't see it. I think a lot of folks are basing potential success on a
practice game against St. Johns. We win A scrimmage against a Big East school so were going to the NCAAT or were a failure. Pump the brakes
and realize this is going to be an up and down season.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago "I refuse to believe this is like that 2015-2016 year. We still have Jeff Dowtin, arguably the best or most important player on the team the past two years. The A10 is still not as strong as it was 3 years ago."

I see a lot of parallels to 2015-2016 except we had a better team that year. We had Jared ( an NBA signee), Hassan, Jarvis and Kuran and 5th year senior Four Mcglynn all average in double figures. Jared and Jarvis were sophs='s, kuran and Hass were juniors and Four was a 5th year senior.

That team was more experienced and just as talented if not more. This team must get significant contributions from at least one of the
freshmen if not 2 to have a chance of smelling the post season. I don't see it. I think a lot of folks are basing potential success on a
practice game against St. Johns. We win A scrimmage against a Big East school so were going to the NCAAT or were a failure. Pump the brakes
.......This is basically my thoughts at this point......especially the comments on the need for freshmen impacts.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago "I refuse to believe this is like that 2015-2016 year. We still have Jeff Dowtin, arguably the best or most important player on the team the past two years. The A10 is still not as strong as it was 3 years ago."

2018-2019 Jeff Dowtin > 2015-2016 Jared
2018-2019 Cyril > 2015-2016 Hassan (hurt)
2018-2019 Fatts > 2015-2016 Four/Jarvis

I acknowledge it will not be pretty, but neither was 2016-2017 when we struggled with expectations. Floor is the NIT this year.