Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

That hurt. Great game, very entertaining. But the errant inbounds pass, and the near RI steal that went right to PC under the basket were hard to take, even harder than the tip-in at the end.

I love Four but against fast teams he just can't get good shots off. And misses when he does.

Lots of positives though. Still hurts like heck.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote:Yeah I agree refs were great all game, until the game winner where they decided to not call an obvious foul...
The officiating was great all game.

That was a foul, but a tough call to make with under a second left. If called, Jarvis would have had a 1-1 to win it.
'No Mercy.'
gorhody22
Jim Eitner

Unread post by gorhody22 »

Officiating was great but thought thompson getting wrapped up was an intentional foul. Tough to call it there but the player made absolutely no attempt to go for the ball and just grabbed thompson. Stopped a 2 on 1 break.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

My voice was gone halfway through the second half. It's just gonna be even sweeter when we beat them next year. We will get our star player back and they lose theirs. Gonna blow them out of The Hole next year.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

860_rhody wrote:My voice was gone halfway through the second half. It's just gonna be even sweeter when we beat them next year. We will get our star player back and they lose theirs. Gonna blow them out of The Hole next year.
That's what everyone said going into this year...
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

860_rhody wrote:My voice was gone halfway through the second half. It's just gonna be even sweeter when we beat them next year. We will get our star player back and they lose theirs. Gonna blow them out of The Hole next year.
Please. You miss the point.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Brutal, let's move on and win the next one, go rams
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They played well. Just not well enough to win. In the end it is an L. Another L on another big game. On the brite side I got to talk with TBell for awhile and finally caught up with ARD.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We just don't get the breaks at the end of these games.

Never, ever, ever do.

What will it take to get a call, or a bounce?

Did PC miss a shot in the 2nd half? Or a FT? Didn't seem like it.

If we can't win a game like this at home.......closer and closer we come, but...the

URI Rams. The Chicago Cubs of the college BB world. Cursed.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Another big game another loss... Guys played hard
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
josephski
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:We just don't get the breaks at the end of these games.

Never, ever, ever do.

What will it take to get a call, or a bounce?

Did PC miss a shot in the 2nd half? Or a FT? Didn't seem like it.

If we can't win a game like this at home.......closer and closer we come, but...the

URI Rams. The Chicago Cubs of the college BB world. Cursed.
Can't be tied/down in the last minute playing against one of the best players in college basketball. The odds are always against you.
Last edited by josephski 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

How did Terrell not steal that pass when they had Dunn doubled teamed at half court? I had a bad angle did he whiff on the catch and the ball got tipped to Bentil or was it just a crazy bounce?
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Soul crushing.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

bressler3south wrote:
Please. You miss the point.
What's "the point"? No problem at all with positivity after a tough loss. Not sure why you're so dismissive.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:How did Terrell not steal that pass when they had Dunn doubled teamed at half court? I had a bad angle did he whiff on the catch and the ball got tipped to Bentil or was it just a crazy bounce?
Not sure who it was on PC but I think they were just taller than Terrell and out jumped him to keep the ball.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I've had it with moral victories.

Actually I don't consider this a moral victory anyway.

Just another close loss to a good team. Don't really care that it was PC either. Or even how it happened.

We always lose the close ones. That's the bottom line.

EC or no EC. They should have won this game.

Close doesn't count, folks. I've become numb to the particulars. You can rehash it until the sun comes up. You can't change it.

There is some hope for the rest of the season if they can play this well or even improve a little more.

Have a feeling it won't be good enough to Dance, but what else is new?

How many more close ones will we lose this season? I'm sure we're not done yet.....

I'm not blaming Four either....Thompson is going to be the real deal. Terrell and Garrett played better tonight. Keep doing it.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Jarvis was really impressive tonight. CT had a breakout game. Low post defense was not very good. Seemed like they got everything they wanted inside. A crazy bounce to Bentil for the dunk at the end and a crushing loss.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I was encouraged by just about everything except the final score. It's obviously disappointing and, really, infuriating and frustrating. I'm going to resist the urge to lose my mind and say some stupid shit right now. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. It wasn't a perfect effort, obviously, but there were a lot of good things. Just kind of tired of moral victories and playing well but losing. Big picture, I'm encouraged but tonight I'm pretty bummed.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It was again not everyone being themselves. It was an inconsistent individual effort. Each game, some are doing very well and some are not. Like I said, if this team played to their potential each game, all of them, this would be a very hard team to beat.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some day, either in the near future or distant future, URI BB teams will find a way to win the close ones against good teams.

You know, the games that they have to win to get over the hump.

The players change. The results remain the same.

Even Dan Hurley can't find a way to will his team to victory.

His record so far in close games against good teams is eerily similar to the last coach we had.

He's got to change this.

Would EC have helped? Maybe, maybe not. He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire late in games either.

I will say if we had EC tonight instead of Four, we win this game.

But it's always something.

Whatever it takes to lose, in the most painful ways possible, finds us, time and time again.

TP, I'm with you on this one. We have to have a good game from everybody to win these games. The couple players who didn't, made the difference for sure.

Bentil and Bullock are a load. Dunn imo didn't beat us tonight. Those two did. They also shot 9-9 from the FT line. How many teams' bigs do that?

Hopefully the 3 forward/centers we have coming in next season will negate their advantage inside.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That was a brutal loss. But you got the give the team credit for playing very well; best they've played this year. They just got beat; simple as that. Time for Thompson to start? Four might be better coming off the bench, as has been mentioned before. Hopefully they can build from this, starting Tuesday.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah, I mean tonight it wasn't exactly if we peed down our leg at the end. We went into the end game behind, hit some shots, and had a couple plays where the ball just bounced the wrong way for us or they just made a play. I think of all the frustrating things, the fact that there is no obvious target for my rage right now is probably at the top of the list.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Buzzer tip in loss to the #23 team in the country without our NBA player. Fuck it. At least they showed they won't go out like bitches the rest of the year. A10 is good, maybe we put it together for some fun on brooklyn.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Just got back from the game. Like everyone else, I was dissapointed with the final score but felt real good about how the team played. I still think we have a real good chance on coming out on top of the A-10. The energy at the Ryan Center was great. I wish it was like that every game. It will be interesting to see the crowd on Tuesday.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

And by the way, if that's the Garrett and Terrell we get to see for 2.5 more years, we are in for a treat.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:Buzzer tip in loss to the #23 team in the country without our NBA player. Fuck it. At least they showed they won't go out like bitches the rest of the year. A10 is good, maybe we put it together for some fun on brooklyn.
I don't think anyone can say for a fact if we had EC we would have won this game. Thompson, Garrett and Terrell scored 46 combined and put up 35 shots. No way they do that if EC is playing.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Have to give a shout out to Rhody15 for being on his feet cheering even with most of section 207 yelling for him to sit down, and even getting up to ask him to sit as well.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote:I was encouraged by just about everything except the final score. It's obviously disappointing and, really, infuriating and frustrating. I'm going to resist the urge to lose my mind and say some stupid shit right now. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. It wasn't a perfect effort, obviously, but there were a lot of good things. Just kind of tired of moral victories and playing well but losing. Big picture, I'm encouraged but tonight I'm pretty bummed.
I feel the same way, just got home.

We need a real big in the middle on D. Hasan plays his a$$ off in there, but he is just not tall enough. PC had like 43 points in the paint or something...

Let's tear it up in the A-10. Thompson was a bright spot for sure tonight. Good confidence.
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, I hope you're right.

They need to keep their heads up after tonight, or they could circle the drain in the next 3 games which they now have to win imo.

This team has surprised me a little, with a little luck [which they never seem to have] they could be in the mix for a bid come conference tourney time.

Just tough knowing that, with EC, this team probably would be good enough to Dance as things stand right now.

I know talking about next year is getting way too far ahead of ourselves, but we are going to get over that hump for sure......going to get more quality size which will do the trick.....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Breakout game for Christion Thompson...He is the future...how long before he's in the starting lineup?

And...who does he replace?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

An ode to the lame PC Board predictions:

Altar boy's worst nightmare 74
Playboy's favorite party school 72
'No Mercy.'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'll agree on Thompson. We have a very special guy there. I saw it in the open practice early this year. I questioned his play when he took 1 shot a game while avg 12 minutes a game in the first five. This guy can play. Let him loose.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Oh and by the way, the a$$hat PC fan sitting right behind me kept yelling "NBA on the floor!" and "Best player in the country" whenever Dunn scored. Captain Obvious - hey douchebag, EVERYONE KNOWS HE IS A NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE ALREADY!
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On a regular basis, probably next season. Thompson as a starter that is.

Four can shoot it. But he needs to be spotted at certain times during games.

He's the designated shooter.

Thompson has the upside. If we are going to go anywhere this season, him and Akele to a lesser extent have to be the difference makers.

At least Christion at this point is proving that he just might be that guy....

Remember folks, Four came from Towson. Not exactly a powerhouse. He's a role player, not a 30+ minute a game guy.

That's what he was intended to be, with EC in the lineup.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Other than the outcome, I'm very encouraged. Like Blue Man said, they played the #23 team in the country and stayed with the better team right to the end. A break or two the other way way, and we have the 74-72 win.

I'm really encouraged by the play of Thomson and Garrett! I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Tough loss, but a great game!

On to Houston.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Prediction: Thompson with another good game against Houston....in the starting lineup against Nebraska, replacing ______ ?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just build on the way they played tonight.

That's all we can ask.

No more regressing. No more lack of intensity. More consistency.

Might be tough after losing like this, with a huge home crowd urging them on....

However, keep improving, and we'll have a good conference season.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

The worst part is that this whole season will be filled with "what ifs"

We all know that if EC was out there we would've won the game ... And the Valpo game ...
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:On a regular basis, probably next season. Thompson as a starter that is.

Four can shoot it. But he needs to be spotted at certain times during games.

He's the designated shooter.

Thompson has the upside. If we are going to go anywhere this season, him and Akele to a lesser extent have to be the difference makers.

At least Christion at this point is proving that he just might be that guy....

Remember folks, Four came from Towson. Not exactly a powerhouse. He's a role player, not a 30+ minute a game guy.

That's what he was intended to be, with EC in the lineup.
It will be interesting to see if Akele can come on to take a bigger role soon. I'd prefer we only start two guards and not go small until the end of games with Four closing games out with free throws. In my mind EC was more of a small forward than a guard. He is excellent on the glass and his handle needed some work. He seemed to make his best passes in transition vs half court sets. If we play eight guys we can exert more energy on defense without tiring out at the end of the games.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Joe wrote:The worst part is that this whole season will be filled with "what ifs"

We all know that if EC was out there we would've won the game ... And the Valpo game ...
I said this earlier but that's just not true. I think we would have a better chance with EC but Thompson, Garrett and Terrell would not have the same games they had tonight with EC in the lineup so there's no way of saying with EC we would have won.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Please stop with the EC stuff, right now. Everyone misses him, he's a great guy, but this is a sports team and he's not a factor (unfortunate as that may be). As heartless as it might seem, it's pointless to talk about him in the context of this year. Lotsa talent...this can still be a very good year...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
Joe wrote:The worst part is that this whole season will be filled with "what ifs"

I said this earlier but that's just not true. I think we would have a better chance with EC but Thompson, Garrett and Terrell would not have the same games they had tonight with EC in the lineup so there's no way of saying with EC we would have won.
With EC, we would have won this game. No question.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

josephski wrote:

I think its safe to say that having a future NBA player who averaged 17 points a game last year could've made the difference. Four dropped a goose egg, and sub EC's minutes in for his and you have way more than the +2 points needed.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:

With EC, we would have won this game. No question.
STOP IT...this is real sports...not some drama....
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It doesn't matter now. I love watching EC play and I'm sure he wants to be out there too. But the better we play and win without him, the better they will be next year with him. It's time to move past lamenting EC not playing and get on with the rest of the season!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:It doesn't matter now. I love watching EC play and I'm sure he wants to be out there too. But the better we play and win without him, the better they will be next year with him. It's time to move past lamenting EC not playing and get on with the rest of the season!
Couldn't agree more...it's a different team now, so move on!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Joe wrote:
josephski wrote:

I think its safe to say that having a future NBA player who averaged 17 points a game last year could've made the difference. Four dropped a goose egg, and sub EC's minutes in for his and you have way more than the +2 points needed.
That's not looking at the game realistically...if EC played then Garrett, Terrell and Thompson don't take 35 shots and score 46 points so who knows if it's just a 2 point game. EC probably would've taken 15 shot alone.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

From now on...whenever someone mentions if we had "EC"...there should be a mandatory donation to the Jimmy Fund (or something like that)...just stop it...it serves no purpose. Look ahead to what THIS team can accomplish...I think it's a LOT.

The 'if we had EC' talk is the biggest mellow harsher there is out there....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, if they can continue to improve, it could be a good year.

It's funny, JG and JT have good games, their best this year, and Four and Iverson disappear.

Got to have all of them on their games against the better teams.

Thompson keeps it up, and maybe starts, with Four off the bench, could make up a lot of the difference that we lost with EC.

He could be that good.....he's going to get that chance.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well then hopefully the team wins every effin game from now on. Or else................................