Game #2 - @ SMU - November 11th @ 8:00pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Game #2 - @ SMU - November 11th @ 8:00pm

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We beat SMU by 22 last year. This year they shell us.

They have a bunch of transfers and recruits on the floor -- seems like they stole our model.

Long week ahead, lots to coach from this game. See what is working and what is not, adjust over the course of the next few days.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I agree, Rod.

You know, Reischel was so crazy active all over the place when he was in there, all he proved to me was that he would make a great 6th man. He's not the guy you want in there when you are trying to establish a pace. He's too out of control. He basically played his way right into the Preston Murphy slot.

I would demote him slightly, and demote Powell permanently.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Did I somehow miss it? No visit from any coaches following the game on the radio? Thought it was going to be Murray as he was the lead scout.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

OUCH!!!!! ONE POSSIBILE ACT COACH HURLEY CAN PASS ON AFTER THIS DEBACLE!!!!!

A performance artist has been detained in Moscow after stripping naked and nailing his scrotum to the cobblestones of Red Square in a protest.

Pyotr Pavlensky, 29, reportedly sat for an hour and a half on the square on Sunday afternoon, with a nail driven through his genitals into the ground.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

WTF no coaches in post game??????that's a decision piss poor by someone, come'on man!!.............
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Agree with this jcru too much upside to ec to ignore
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx for the laugh, Bressler.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, it really makes you wonder what's going on. At least last year they played solid defense, and stayed in most games until the end. SMU is not a powerhouse.

I'm beginning to think Dan is going to have to get ALL his guys in here, and get rid of all the Baron era holdovers, to have any chance to succeed. Not saying they were the only ones at fault here, everyone needs to take the blame for this one. Biruta is not close to healthy, it's obvious.

What is really surprising is the piss poor defense. That's something that I never expected from a Hurley coached team. If this continues, Hurley's honeymoon may be over sooner rather than later.

What I'm seeing, though, is that the transfers aren't as good as we thought they were. Hassan and EC will be good, they just need more time. The Big O is fine, but he needs more help.

Message to Dan, NO more transfers. Get a few more 4 year guys in here.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Powell out ec in, he was the only pg with decent drives to the basket tonight. Had some turnovers but at times looked good
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

jcru wrote:Blow it up.

Put in Matthews, Munford, Martin, Onyekaba, and Biruta.

Reischel, Buchanan, Aaman off the bench.

Sit Powell.

Slow down the game. Too many guys worried about being quicker than the next guy, not concentrating.
When you say sit Powell do you mean not play him at all? Only one PG?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would play EC 40 mins like Skinner did with Wheeler. Take one of the other two and play them "minutes" meaning single digit minutes, yeah.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

They do need to slow down the offense and get rid of this motion offense where Gil pops to the elbow and top of the key. Unless you are playing a premier shot blocker, there is no need. Get the big men on the block with their backs to basket and pound teams. It will help Gil if his ankle is hurting and you got three big men who can score on the block. E.C. can blow by anyone, have him run the offense. He can drive the lane and dish down low or find X on the wing for a open look. Need another threat behind the arc. Butler hitting two 3s in garbage time doesn't impress me.

Minnis should not play any meaningful minutes again. Powell falls into bad habits when the game starts to lose control, when you need your PG to take control, in a good way, the most.
'No Mercy.'
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Oneykaba is going to lead the nation in shots blocked. His shot being blocked. He is not 6'8.
rhodyfan3
ARD

I could be stating the obvious, but it seems like the departure of Bobby Hurley has hurt the development of our point guards. If he is here this year do you think they perform better?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree that the constant substitutions seems to be working against us. Unfortunately with the new foul situation it might not be possible to stay with a consistent lineup.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like was said, blow up the Baron guys. Sit them, they're done.

This year will be another transition year. Forget NCAA or any other tournament. Will take another year of adding the right recruits to this mix.

This turnaround is going to take longer than we expected.

I'm sure Dan is even more disappointed than we are. But it's on him to make it better.

As for Minnis, I'm VERY disappointed that Dan thinks he was going to be good. Makes you wonder.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhodyfan3, Dan was a point guard himself, yes not a great one, but good enough to teach these guys. I think it's just a matter of Powell and Minnis not being very good. EC is the answer, but he needs time and help.

Help will come, but it's going to take some time.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote:I would play EC 40 mins like Skinner did with Wheeler. Take one of the other two and play them "minutes" meaning single digit minutes, yeah.
EC should be the PG for all 40 minutes unless he gets in foul trouble.
if not the entire time at PG he should be on the wing
Good to see Butler respond with two 3 pointers - and two nice assists from TJ to Butler to make the 3's
Munford needs to drive the lane a couple times to get an easy basket when his shooting is off like tonight
Iffy looked good again, don't see him so much as a replacement for Hare - he is a good player but would have liked to have seen Hare in the game tonight - even if it is alongside Iffy as opposed to "instead of"
Butler earned more minutes for Friday night imho.
Where are the majority of posters who so solidly annointed MP our PG for the season. Unfortunately his performance tonight was not much of a surprise to me. SMU to big, too quick, too good for some of our guys - not all but some.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well this was a very sobering defeat.

I apologize for invoking the "J.D." word, but I meant the influx of talent playing AAU style ball, not the coach.

At least they did hustle for 40, which is good, but unfortunately it looks like that will work against this team too, because pure hustle without direction isn't going to work either.

At least we have no delusions about what we have now. Start molding this pile for the future, not the present. Put the two frosh in, and ride them.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Did I somehow miss it? No visit from any coaches following the game on the radio? Thought it was going to be Murray as he was the lead scout.
Can't blame the coaching staff for not wanting to talk about this one.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What does TJ bring to the table. OK, he plays good defense but as a 2 he is no threat to take a jump shot and is not a point guard. Could be the worst game Powell has played. What has happened to the 12-15 foot jump shot? Other than the guys up front the others need to take the mid range jumper and not always take it to the hoop.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree Ramster
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Minnis is useless under the new rules. He was touted as a psychical defender on this board when he signed here which meant he hand checked a lot and prevented penetration in the lane. Now he can't do that without a foul being called. He doesn't move well defensively and at all for that matter.

We heard his offensive was limited, but shit... He's a triple threat of badness, he can't dribble, he can't pass and he can't shoot. Hopefully, he has a 4.0 GPA.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Don't see how anyone can watch that game and knock Oneykaba.
He certainly is 6'8". What next, he's not 240lbs.?
Kmac tweeted to Chris Disano that he was shocked at Biruta's play.
He also compared EC to Cat. Don't see that one.
This game was a giant kick in the balls for our inflated expectations.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm starting to doubt my record prediction for this season. If they were going to get beat I thought it would be by less than 31points...OUCH! After two games, a person who can hit a 3 point shot with any consistency has yet to emerge. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. Rhody made SMU look like they were Kentucky.
The one thing that concerns me the most is that I don't see a clear chemistry between the guys on the floor. The flow and ball movement looks a bit forced. The movement and passing isn't all that fluid yet. Hopefully this will improve in time, but the reason why it's my biggest concern is because these guys had all last year to practice together, so one would think they'd be more on the same page as a unit.
Here's to hoping they improve by leaps and bounds by the PC game or we're in for another stress fest.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Blaming this loss on the "baron guys" is a joke. Get a grip. The entire team played like crap, I don't care who recruited them.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well we were all told Minnis was going to be better than Kaza Keane, soo...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, you are 100% right about Powell. Minnis isn't the answer either.

EC will have to learn the hard way, but we need him to. Guard play dictates EVERYTHING in college BB, and if you don't have it, you will suck, plain and simple.

Powell is too small, a defensive liability, and can't shoot. Minnis is too slow, and can't shoot either.

Now we know. It's not good.
rhodyfan3
ARD

EC should definitely see more time. As much as I hated the game tonight, I loved seeing him perform well. He looks comfortable out there, doesn't look like a freshman in his first few games of college. However, maybe I am just bias cause I have liked him, but I wouldn't totally give up on Powell. He has been serviceable the past 2 years, and one miserable game shouldn't mean he doesn't see the floor again.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Optimistic wrote:Blaming this loss on the "baron guys" is a joke. Get a grip. The entire team played like crap, I don't care who recruited them.
Agreed. Its not recruiting they all need to step up and play to their potential. Focus on team play even when the chips are down.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Biruta is WAY better than what he's shown. It's like he's not even the same player. Hare would be better right now if he was here.

Is Munford's foot still an issue? What's up with him?

Anyway, I want to hear what Dan says about this mess. He's the one who built the expectations for this season.

Now I'm going to say it. I'm not happy with him or the team. They were NOT prepared to play this game.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rodfromcranston wrote:Don't see how anyone can watch that game and knock Oneykaba.
He isn't 6'8. Abu interviewed him after the Maine game and basically told him that he is lucky if he is 6'6 as he towered over him. We don't have a true Center.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

rhodyfan3 wrote:EC should definitely see more time. As much as I hated the game tonight, I loved seeing him perform well. He looks comfortable out there, doesn't look like a freshman in his first few games of college. However, maybe I am just bias cause I have liked him, but I wouldn't totally give up on Powell. He has been serviceable the past 2 years, and one miserable game shouldn't mean he doesn't see the floor again.
I think he should be out there but shouldnt start, something needs to spark him and make him realize the strengths he can bring to this team, and one of those things is stretching the floor,be ready to shoot powell. This team needs to play inside out.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

What's the return policy on transfers? Since we happen to be in Texas, any chance we can drop Minnis off at Texas Tech? We must have the receipt...
'No Mercy.'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He shouldn't be benched?

Someone needs to take ownership of this. When you play like crap, you need to sit. This was too much a disaster to plow forward and pretend everything is peachy without shaking things up. This team needs a wake up call. If you want to sleep in, get out of the way for someone hungry.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Sweep The Leg wrote:What's the return policy on transfers? Since we happen to be in Texas, any chance we can drop Minnis off at Texas Tech? We must have the receipt...
:lol: theway he is playing give butler some minutes in his place, he hasnt brought anything tothe team in the first three games he has played, i HOPE he is better than this.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's 1 game, yes they looked poor but lets hope it was a fluke and not a trend.
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Don't see how anyone can watch that game and knock Oneykaba.
Rod, Iffy played well tonight for sure. But they were talking alot during the TV broadcast against Maine about his height. Abu was joking how there is no way he is 6'8". Said he stood next to him and that he is 6'6" at best. He even joked with Iffy about it in his postgame interview.

Not that any of this matters, the guy has still been really solid inside for two games now.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Powell got zero points and one assist.
We know he's better than that. We know Munford is better than three points.
Aaman has nights where he can play well, depending on the competition.
TJ, is a guy without a real role.
The rest of these guys, we really don't know.
One way or another, we'll find out, sooner or later.
Sorry, I didn't see the Abu interview, I was at the game. Abu is knocking our players?
Never cared for him as a commentator.
Oneykaba is a center. What the hell do you think he is?
I wonder if Hurley had an epiphany moment, when he said he probably over hyped
the fanbase's expectations?
Wasn't Trick or Treat last week?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyfan3
ARD

RhodeIslandBred wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:EC should definitely see more time. As much as I hated the game tonight, I loved seeing him perform well. He looks comfortable out there, doesn't look like a freshman in his first few games of college. However, maybe I am just bias cause I have liked him, but I wouldn't totally give up on Powell. He has been serviceable the past 2 years, and one miserable game shouldn't mean he doesn't see the floor again.
I think he should be out there but shouldnt start, something needs to spark him and make him realize the strengths he can bring to this team, and one of those things is stretching the floor,be ready to shoot powell. This team needs to play inside out.
I agree with that. You don't have to start him. EC deserves to start after what he has shown and how poorly Minnis and Powell have played.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll be alot more concerned if we have a performance like this come mid-December. Hoping this is still just a team trying to find some chemistry and their identity.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Minnis was taken when we didn't get Keane. Revisionist history aside, that was the deal. Anyone who thought he was a savior is kidding themselves. Or very gullible.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

jcru wrote:He shouldn't be benched?

Someone needs to take ownership of this. When you play like crap, you need to sit. This was too much a disaster to plow forward and pretend everything is peachy without shaking things up. This team needs a wake up call. If you want to sleep in, get out of the way for someone hungry.
We cant afford to bench anyone ec should play 75 percent of pg minutes and mike should have the rest, make him prove he can make the most of his mins
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SMU, I will say this again, is NOT that good. They had a bunch of new players, just like we did.

That's the only thing that was similar about the two teams tonight.

We were overmatched from the get go, and outcoached likewise. Badly.

I guess this isn't the MAAC anymore.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would say I was doing a 75/25 split, and then play EC to the point of exhaustion.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Sorry, I didn't see the Abu interview, I was at the game. Abu is knocking our players?
Never cared for him as a commentator.
It was pretty weird. The comment during the game wasnt so bad, but then bringing it up to the guy in the postgame interview was strange. Kind of put him on the spot. Onyekaba handled it well though, just ignored him and answered the rest of the question.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We need that speech Bill Murray gave in "Stripes."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, Powell played poorly. But, if I remember correctly, he was benched for most of the 2nd half. Did we play any better with him on the bench?
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, Powell played poorly. But, if I remember correctly, he was benched for most of the 2nd half. Did we play any better with him on the bench?
Yes.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would put in EC, play him for as long as he can physically go, or until he picks up two fouls. Put in Powell, as soon as he does something boneheaded like jack up a three point attempt air ball with 25 seconds on the shot clock, yank him, put EC back in.

He'd get the msg sooner rather than later.