The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

jcru wrote:GandysFantasy?
Gandy! So GBG isn't Gandy? Gandy was a KB classic.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Honest question: Are we as a University too passive?

When I have a good year work-wise, I’ll donate and have so for about 10 years. I’m not sure what qualifies as a lot, but it’s certainly more than $20.18. And I’m not hating on those who gave what they could even though it might be too late.

My point is, I’ve never once received a call from the Alumni Association or Fast Break or Athletic Dept asking me for more. It’s kind of nice not to be bothered, but at the same time...should we be doing that? Asking for more?

My wife is a UNLV alum and they blow up her phone all the time.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Way too passive. Athletic Development team is almost invisible.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

mstyles22 wrote:Honest question: Are we as a University too passive?

When I have a good year work-wise, I’ll donate and have so for about 10 years. I’m not sure what qualifies as a lot, but it’s certainly more than $20.18. And I’m not hating on those who gave what they could even though it might be too late.

My point is, I’ve never once received a call from the Alumni Association or Fast Break or Athletic Dept asking me for more. It’s kind of nice not to be bothered, but at the same time...should we be doing that? Asking for more?

My wife went to GW and she gets stuff all the time from them asking for donations. I don't think I've ever received anything (phone call, email, mail) asking for a donation from URI.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I got a call waiting to walk the stage for my grad school during graduation.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Just pay the guy. We're at a point where investment will pay returns. Not to move to the next level now would waste all the money that has been invested.

Also ATP can we change the section title to: Sweet 16 or Bust?

Seems time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

mstyles22 wrote:Honest question: Are we as a University too passive?

I made this same point earlier in the thread.
TruePoint wrote:Some of that is on them for not proactively soliciting the donations on an ongoing basis, saving it for specific funding drives or "giving day" or what have you. I've donated money pretty consistently - not Tom Ryan money, but I do what I can - and I've never had someone from athletics call me unsolicited, shoot the shit with me for a few minutes, give me an update on how they see things going and what they're working on and then asking me if I can chip in X amount or whatever I can. There's no reason they aren't doing that. If they did, people would give them money. But that aside, don't wait for them to call you or have a campaign, if you can afford to give and want the program to do well, go online or call them and set something up.
I wish people I didn’t want to give money to called me asking for money less, and URI athletics called me to ask for money more.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

URI (not the athletic department) called me last week looking for donations, but they are barking up the wrong tree... I am 4 Years our of school with plenty of student loans to pay off first lol
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Just watched Fatts Russell instagram live feed. People were asking him left and right about Hurley. He did say "Everyone asking me if coach Hurley staying, want me to tell them the truth." But then then did not say anything about it after. I also heard him mention something about a workout in the morning and how they have no coach for what it's worth. I guess we will see what happens but not to optimistic.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote:URI (not the athletic department) called me last week looking for donations, but they are barking up the wrong tree... I am 4 Years our of school with plenty of student loans to pay off first lol
You should ask for tip money for all your beautiful game replays
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I receive calls from the URI Foundation looking for donations to the general fund. Probably twice a year. I make a donation once/yr.
After I made a donation to the Ram Fund the first time I have received 1-2 letter a year asking to make that donation or more for the next year. In 2017,I received a letter in December asking for a donation before the end of the year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know everyone is harping on the $20.18 donation. GOOD. Give more. Lots more. If you can get into the Alumni Lounge, then you are doing your part. I know I have spent a good amount of time in there. But with 15,000 undergrads a year, we should have a lot more donors than we do.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Joe95 wrote:Just watched Fatts Russell instagram live feed. People were asking him left and right about Hurley. He did say "Everyone asking me if coach Hurley staying, want me to tell them the truth." But then then did not say anything about it after. I also heard him mention something about a workout in the morning and how they have no coach for what it's worth. I guess we will see what happens but not to optimistic.
The workouts are unsupervised after the season for all teams. The womens team posted a brief clip stating their workouts have started.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeterRamTime wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:URI (not the athletic department) called me last week looking for donations, but they are barking up the wrong tree... I am 4 Years our of school with plenty of student loans to pay off first lol
You should ask for tip money for all your beautiful game replays
Nah those are for the people!!
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

His tutor on the live chat was talking about how when Baron was fired there was 3 week span when it was just Preston Murphy and Mike Montaniero running things.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Was told Pittsburgh will be announced tomorrow as Hurley’s next destination.

Money talks, apparently.

This was not the same source that has given me all the injury news however, so take it for what it’s worth.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he's going to go, Pitt is the better job.

But don't take any of our players and recruits, please. That would be a kick in the teeth.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

The way Fatts was taking on the live chat made it seem like they have already been told what is going to happen meaning Hurley has already made a decision. Maybe that is why he was at the Ryan center as reported earlier today to let the guys know what is going to happen. Really hope that is not the case, Go Rhody!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody15 wrote:Was told Pittsburgh will be announced tomorrow as Hurley’s next destination.

Money talks, apparently.

This was not the same source that has given me all the injury news however, so take it for what it’s worth.
He’s pulling his kid out of HS and moving to Pitt? Gotta feel for the kid, that’s tough.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I can deal with Pitt. UConn would be tough. He was going to go eventually. I would have thought that he'd have stuck it out until a truly big job opened up but whatever. Hopefully he doesn't take the recruits and/or current players and the next coach can hold onto them and the current guys.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ughhh
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I've said, if Dan has told the team [and likely the recruits too] that he's going to Pitt...then hopefully he told them to stay at URI and help the new coach keep building the program.

I'm sure Thorr and Dooley want the program to keep progressing, but evidently not at the pace Dan wants it to.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Honestly if the recruits and current players stay then I am completely fine with Hurley leaving for Pitt and moving on. It was going to happen eventually. My biggest fear, for whenever Hurley left, would be that the program regresses to 2011-2012 level.

Next year when a bigger job than Pitt opens up will Hurley think why the hell didn't I wait 1 more year?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pitt? Wtf
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Found this in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Pitt went 0-18 in the ACC.

Petersen Events Center was two-thirds empty for most home games.

Nine Pitt players have asked for their release to explore transfer options.

Pitt has no recruiting class to speak of.

Pitt is trying to cheat outgoing coach Kevin Stallings out of $4.6 million of his contracted $9.4 million buyout.

If there's a worse place to coach college basketball, where is it?

Pitt's problems might quickly get worse. They are a good bet to again go 0-18 in the ACC next season. They might have to give playing time to walk-ons. Duquesne could win the City Game by double digits. ...

Stallings wasn't a lousy coach until he got to Pitt. The problem is incompetent administration and influential alumni who don't understand the ceiling for Pitt's athletic programs and are too stupid to leave well enough alone.

Here's how this plays out: Tom Crean got the job at Georgia. Dan Hurley either goes to Connecticut or stays at Rhode Island despite Pitt having offered the most money. All those featured on Pitt's ill-conceived short list will go somewhere else or, by way of bigger indictment, won't coach.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/m ... basketball
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let’s wait for an actual report.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Next year we might not be an NCAA tourney team even if Dan stays. Talented but probably too young.

Of course if we are really good in a couple years, Dan would get more good offers.

But, it could just be URI isn't moving forward fast enough on program improvements. The truth will come out at some point.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Next year we might not be an NCAA tourney team even if Dan stays. Talented but probably too young.

Of course if we are really good in a couple years, Dan would get more good offers.

But, it could just be URI isn't moving forward fast enough on program improvements. The truth will come out at some point.
The truth is, until we pay what others offer, we will be on this merry go round every year.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugh I have no self control.

It’s not pitt. It’s not money. It’s investments. Guarantee you there hasn’t been a decision yet and anyone reading tea leaves is doing just that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If URI can’t retain Hurley, I will vomit every time I see THINK BIG, WE DO

the time is NOW to THINK BIG
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone I would pay you money to post not more than once an hour. Just collect your thoughts, take a couple thousand breathes, walk your dog, etc. The stream of consciousness rapid fire posting is torture.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I have donated.

Somewhere in between 20.18 and 3 million a year...
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Let’s wait for an actual report.
Can you ban, at least temporarily, anyone who says “my source”? If 20 people like this post, you def should.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 going out on a limb big time.
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Actually I take that back, if only is leaving we should keep the title NCAA or bust, because it will be a while before we make it back.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Is Rhody15 in the know?

Doubtful.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Next year we might not be an NCAA tourney team even if Dan stays. Talented but probably too young.

The truth is, until we pay what others offer, we will be on this merry go round every year.
I don't know. VCU was paying Shaka over 2 million a year and Dayton the same to Miller. And both programs have great facilities and fan support.

So what is it?

If it's Pitt, it's the ACC.

Or is it being in a conference that will struggle to recruit, to schedule, and to get at larges in the Dance? Look what's happened to the Bonnies, and even to Dayton and VCU. Shitty seedings.....and it's not going to get any easier.

Dan sees this, and wants out. He knows it's hard here...really hard to win. This is a stepping stone job. Some of you might not like that, but it's reality.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:
jcru wrote:GandysFantasy?
Gandy! So GBG isn't Gandy? Gandy was a KB classic.
KB? More so old ProJo board. Dude was off the rails.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Apparently this is the only source in the world who knows it Pitt. I’m not believing anything until at least two sources say the same thing. As of now this Pitt rumor is nonsense.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Got a lot of visitors I see.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m skeptical it’s Pitt for all the reasons Red listed.
Slava Ukraini!
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

662 visitors is a record
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Good thing I'm still hung over from Paddy's Day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BTW, for TP and others....I hope Dan stays. Over and out.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If my source was the source I receive my injury information from, which has been 100% spot on each time, I’d feel a lot more confident.

Just putting it out there what I was told, like multiple people have done with numerous things these past two years.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

My sources indicate that I'm winning mega millions tonight and Rhode Island is coming in with a monster final offer tomorrow
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:BTW, for TP and others....I hope Dan stays. Over and out.
Bone - I don't doubt where your heart is at, it's just that when you post 10 times in 15 minutes you end up repeating yourself (if not verbatim, still repeating the same sort of idea) and your thoughts are kind of jumbled. Seems like you could read a bunch, gather your thoughts, synthesize them into a linear narrative of some sort and then post them, as opposed to just laying bare in public the neurotic inner dialogue you're having with yourself.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Keaney Blue is blowing the doors off the previous traffic record right now if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I hope Hurley stays because he has done a remarkable job given what he inherited here. If he stays this is a program setup to dominate the A10 for the foreseeable future. Conference realignment plus a longterm stay from Dan Hurley as URI coach could position URI as a perennial power in the A10.

If Hurley goes to Pitt I can't blame him. Going from $1.1M annually to $3M annually is a lot to say no to despite Pitt having gone 0-19 in the ACC and having potentially 9 transfers. If he goes, Hurley will turn it around at Pitt, but damn, he is in a huge hole to dig out of. One that will take years and rival the post Baron years.

UConn is a sensible pick for Hurley as well. Gets to stay in New England and bring along Tom Moore and Ty Boswell and their NE recruiting roots to a bigger profile program.