Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I can sort of see why the rules are different, seeing how its a on campus / off campus arena, etc etc.

But to not even have the same rules IN THE SAME ARENA for men and women's teams is next level stupidity.
Why are there good reasons for the Ryan Center and Dunkin Donuts Center having different rules? Where they are in the relation to campus shouldn't matter, state rules say masks are to be worn in state buildings, which the Dunkin Donuts Center is. If this was PC's private arena they could do what they want. It's not, it's a state building, they should be following state rules. All URI fans should be furious at this double standard
Not furious...just not going until it changes...
Sounds like there's gonna be a lot of empty seats there my friend.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The state is 90% vaxxed. Why is there still an emergency order and why are masks required anywhere? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The state is 90% vaxxed. Why is there still an emergency order and why are masks required anywhere? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The funny thing is, they’ll be losing thousands of dollars per home game because of masks.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can you believe the governor of this state just had a vaxx clinic at the dump today and offered a $1 scratch ticket as an incentive to get vaxxed? Do these people sniff glue all day? People are giving up their careers because they don't want the vaxx and this moron offers $1 scratch tickets as an incentive? Twilight Zone kinda stuff going on.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Can you believe the governor of this state just had a vaxx clinic at the dump today and offered a $1 scratch ticket as an incentive to get vaxxed? Do these people sniff glue all day? People are giving up their careers because they don't want the vaxx and this moron offers $1 scratch tickets as an incentive? Twilight Zone kinda stuff going on.
I bet nobody showed up, seeing how just about every eligible person in this state is already vaccinated.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago The state is 90% vaxxed. Why is there still an emergency order and why are masks required anywhere? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The funny thing is, they’ll be losing thousands of dollars per home game because of masks.
………also because the DOH people have found their niche in the media, they can’t help themselves, cannot stop, cannot get off the freakin stage…….hey DOH, we get it, we know what to do, we can manage our own risk with COVID……..hey DOH, go back to what you all did before the pandemic……the continued mission creep just seems to needlessly go on and on…….nobody is listening any more……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Just received an email saying pubs will be open. It did not specify whether they’d be a limit on people.

So they’re letting us drink in close proximity with no masks, but then making us put our masks back on after we leave.

All of us will also have vaccines, some even with a booster, or a negative test.

What a goddam joke.

This policy was also enacted by the URI Covid task force, this is not being forced by the state.
Do you happen to know who is in charge of the covid task force? I think they're due for a nicely written email from me and other folks who think this policy is a complete embarrassment and joke.

This is all a sham to have people feel good about being safe with a mask. We are two years into this now. I wish more people would wake TF up.

So say if a few of us met at the Pub, chatted, and drank. We sit in the same row next to each other, we then have to wear a mask? I do not see any logic behind this.
Hello...it's a science-driven task force, not a logic-driven one. Obviously, those that refuse to comply, just simply don't understand the science.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
I saw oingo bingo with Squeeze in the early 80s...great times!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nice!!!. I'm going to see The Fixx friday. English Beat was supposed to play as well but they backed out last minute.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Can you believe the governor of this state just had a vaxx clinic at the dump today and offered a $1 scratch ticket as an incentive to get vaxxed? Do these people sniff glue all day? People are giving up their careers because they don't want the vaxx and this moron offers $1 scratch tickets as an incentive? Twilight Zone kinda stuff going on.

Right? Don't they realize people out there have severe gambling addictions? The government has given out beer, donuts, pizza, and now LOTTERY TICKETS all in order to get a vaccine? How about $1 off at a Farmer's Market instead, ya know, cuz why not add in a fruit or veggie if this is all for "health" and "safety".
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Because they want compliant, obedient sheep.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

Right? Don't they realize people out there have severe gambling addictions? The government has given out beer, donuts, pizza, and now LOTTERY TICKETS all in order to get a vaccine? How about $1 off at a Farmer's Market instead, ya know, cuz why not add in a fruit or veggie if this is all for "health" and "safety".
80's punk is sooooooo appropriate now.

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….FWIW, at PC men’s hockey games, on their “campus”…….there is a mask “requirement” and postings for mask use, however, once in the gate, it is pretty much maskless crowd…….I suspect that at the RC, it will be pretty much the same…….unless the ticket lady goes around and hands masks out to the maskless(which I witnessed a few times at the B/W scrimmage)…….why I go to PC hockey games is another conversation……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….FWIW, at PC men’s hockey games, on their “campus”…….there is a mask “requirement” and postings for mask use, however, once in the gate, it is pretty much maskless crowd…….I suspect that at the RC, it will be pretty much the same…….unless the ticket lady goes around and hands masks out to the maskless(which I witnessed a few times at the B/W scrimmage)…….why I go to PC hockey games is another conversation……..
The Ryan Center security are some of the most miserable fake tough guys I’ve ever seen, my guess is they’re going bigger mask police than we think.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….FWIW, at PC men’s hockey games, on their “campus”…….there is a mask “requirement” and postings for mask use, however, once in the gate, it is pretty much maskless crowd…….I suspect that at the RC, it will be pretty much the same…….unless the ticket lady goes around and hands masks out to the maskless(which I witnessed a few times at the B/W scrimmage)…….why I go to PC hockey games is another conversation……..
The Ryan Center security are some of the most miserable fake tough guys I’ve ever seen, my guess is they’re going bigger mask police than we think.
The stories will be interesting to hear...I'm especially interested in the Karen factor.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any Ryan center upgades this year?
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The stories will be interesting to hear...I'm especially interested in the Karen factor.
In this context a Karen would be someone refusing to wear a mask.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Mid term elections in a year. They need the "emergency" funding to keep pouring in from the federal government, because this state can't manage it's expenses to save their lives, and then they need to ensure mail-in ballots because "science" - aka they're gonna milk this as long as people keep complying.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Mid term elections in a year. They need the "emergency" funding to keep pouring in from the federal government, because this state can't manage it's expenses to save their lives, and then they need to ensure mail-in ballots because "science" - aka they're gonna milk this as long as people keep complying.
To which many say, "I'll comply" (which the pols LOVE) but I think it's stupid" (which the pols don't care about or hear).

"I'l comply" = Mission accomplished for them. And there will be no change or "update' until that changes.
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Just received an email saying pubs will be open. It did not specify whether they’d be a limit on people.
If it's the same email I got yesterday (assuming it went to season ticket holders?) it said pubs open starting at Tuesday's game and not the exhibition Thursday.

It also mentions the clear bag policy.

See full email below from athletics:

"IMPORTANT MEN'S BASKETBALL SEASON TICKET HOLDER REMINDERS

In just two days our Rhode Island Men's Basketball team will host Johnson & Wales in an exhibition game at the Ryan Center. We are so excited to finally be able to welcome you back to the Ryan Center to cheer on our RAMS!

At this time, we wanted to provide you with some reminders regarding the upcoming season.

Tickets - By this time you should have received your mobile tickets or hard tickets depending on what option you selected. If for some reason you have not yet received your season tickets please call the ticket office at 401-874-RAMS (7267) or email tickets@theryancenter.com.

Parking Passes - Season ticket holders who qualify for RAM Fund donor parking your parking passes have been sent out. If you received hard copy tickets they were sent in the same mailing. If you selected mobile tickets they were mailed separately to your address on file.

Alumni Room Passes - Season ticket holders that qualify for Alumni Room Hospitality your passes have just been mailed out to your attention. Passes and lanyards have been mailed the address on file and you should receive them prior to the November 9th game which is the first game the Alumni Hospitality Room will be open.

University of Rhode Island Updated COVID-19 Polices - Men's Basketball and Large URI Events (Events over 250 & 35% of venue capacity)

The University is requiring all guests 12 years and older are required to present proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (fully vaccinated is defined as at least 14 days after receiving either a two-dose or one-dose FDA or WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine) OR proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game time or proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (rapid test) taken within 6 hours of game time. AT HOME tests will not be accepted.

Please Note: The requirement to show proof of vaccination or negative test does not apply to current URI students and employees presenting a valid URI ID at a Men's Basketball game or a large event.

Additionally, the University is requiring all guests over the age of 2 to wear a mask at the Ryan Center at any time, except while actively eating or drinking as permitted.

Please visit the University of Rhode Island COVID-19 pages by CLICKING HERE for the most up-to-date COVID policies.

Clear Bag Policy - Fans attending events at the Ryan Center will be permitted to carry one clear plastic or vinyl bag that does not exceed 12”x6”x12”. A small clutch no larger than 4.5” x 6.5” may also be carried in addition to one clear bag. Diaper bags (with child) and bags approved for medical needs will be permitted after a search by security personnel. All other bags, backpacks, totes, and coolers are strictly prohibited.

Rhody Pubs - Beer and Wine will be available in Rhody Pub locations on the North Concourse and South Concourse starting for the Tuesday, November 9th game against Boston University for patrons age 21 and above (with valid ID). PLEASE NOTE: The Pubs will not be open for the Exhibition Game on Thursday, November 4th.

Should you have questions or concerns please call 401-874-RAMS, email tickets@theryancenter.com, or text "Mobile" to 401-874-7267.

Thank you and Go Rhody!"
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The "clear bag" thing was standard for football games out here in Texas pre-Covid, so I think it's just them conforming to a national safety standard of some sort, I imagine.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Lmao. So even though you can be vaccinated and get/pass the virus, you don’t need to show your negative test. So you could be vaccinated and Covid positive yet still go to the game. Science.

Masks haven’t stopped Covid for a year plus, but sure - mask up!

Doesn’t have to be N95, just wear whatever reused germ covered cloth one hanging from your rear view or in your purse. Science!

But oh yeah you can eat and drink without your masks and everyone knows that you can’t spread Covid when food is present - that’s why you can go to the coaches show maskless tonight at a restaurant. Science!

Man science class really has changed, maybe if I re-enroll I can be exempted from these rules like URI students and faculty. Science!

And also -

Is there anything this arena can do right? I mean I’m sure with the year off the fixed the WiFi and there will be replays though…
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Lmao. So even though you can be vaccinated and get/pass the virus, you don’t need to show your negative test. So you could be vaccinated and Covid positive yet still go to the game. Science.

Masks haven’t stopped Covid for a year plus, but sure - mask up!

Doesn’t have to be N95, just wear whatever reused germ covered cloth one hanging from your rear view or in your purse. Science!

But oh yeah you can eat and drink without your masks and everyone knows that you can’t spread Covid when food is present - that’s why you can go to the coaches show maskless tonight at a restaurant. Science!

Man science class really has changed, maybe if I re-enroll I can be exempted from these rules like URI students and faculty. Science!

And also -

Is there anything this arena can do right? I mean I’m sure with the year off the fixed the WiFi and there will be replays though…
At this point with 90% vaxxed in RI, all you can do is not comply. I refuse. The emergency order should be lifted and no mask mandates anywhere. Time to go back to normal. I don't even own a mask anymore. Can't remember the last time I wore one. But my daughter in HS(who is vaxxed) has to wear a liberal face diaper all day long in school. I know mental illness has exploded, but it appears it's affecting those who run our states.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What is the science/data point that ends the craziness? Like "when xyz happens, the folks will no longer be required to wear masks." What's the xyz science? There isn't any... there's not really any way for the makers of these rules to save face on this (see what I did there?) ever. Really. Ever. And to each their own, but the numbers of people that just go along with that - "even though we think it's stupid" ...and essentially admitting that, "the science has no clothes"... is just surprising to me.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SHEEP
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is the science/data point that ends the craziness? Like "when xyz happens, the folks will no longer be required to wear masks." What's the xyz science? There isn't any... there's not really any way for the makers of these rules to save face on this (see what I did there?) ever. Really. Ever. And to each their own, but the numbers of people that just go along with that - "even though we think it's stupid" ...and essentially admitting that, "the science has no clothes"... is just surprising to me.
……..when the Feds, state DOH officials, stand down and go back to what they all did pre-pandemic, and just let folks run their own lives…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is the science/data point that ends the craziness? Like "when xyz happens, the folks will no longer be required to wear masks." What's the xyz science? There isn't any... there's not really any way for the makers of these rules to save face on this (see what I did there?) ever. Really. Ever. And to each their own, but the numbers of people that just go along with that - "even though we think it's stupid" ...and essentially admitting that, "the science has no clothes"... is just surprising to me.
……..when the Feds, state DOH officials, stand down and go back to what they all did pre-pandemic, and just let folks run their own lives…….
And when is that? What is the datapoint or datapoints that must be achieved?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Yep. In addition to that, I got a negative COVID test (from Today) email as proof as a backup for tomorrow since I don't know what to expect in terms of enforcement and at least the test is an email I can show on my phone instead of an important card I might lose at an arena. Who knows, right?

Anyway, I am more concerned about the world imploding. You're negative for covid, you're vaccinated, there's no reason to worry.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'll be going & enjoying the games. It will be nice to be back in the Ryan Center to see them play.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

On another note. I just switched from Verizon to TMobile. Anyone know how 5G works in the Ryan Center? :mrgreen:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago I'll be going & enjoying the games. It will be nice to be back in the Ryan Center to see them play.
Exactly. I haven't seen a live game in 20 months. I don't give a shit if I have to show a card and wear a mask. Minor stuff. I'm there.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will wear a suit of armor and self contained underwater breathing apparatus if required. I’m ready for live Rhody hoops.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
And when is that? What is the datapoint or datapoints that must be achieved?
……..maybe when we get to endemic stage, localized, regional outbreaks of limited controlled spared?………data points for that?……..unfortunately those public health folks probably have no precise points for endemic stage, but they can’t help themselves from their uncontrolled mission creep and can’t contract their current posture……..19 is here to stay with populations in various localized outbreak levels in endemic stage(long winded response that probably didn’t answer your question) Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I will wear a suit of armor and self contained underwater breathing apparatus if required. I’m ready for live Rhody hoops.
"Awesome. That's what we like to hear."

-The Scientists
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Great, covid hot takes have spread from the covid thread to this one. If it spreads further, we may need to shut the board down for two weeks to stop the spread.

I also get a kick out of people calling others sheep when they belong to the party with a phrase "where we go one we go all"...which is literally what sheep do.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Great, covid hot takes have spread from the covid thread to this one. If it spreads further, we may need to shut the board down for two weeks to stop the spread.

I also get a kick out of people calling others sheep when they belong to the party with a phrase "where we go one we go all"...which is literally what sheep do.
Lmao imagine being so brain damaged that you equate “these regulations do not make any sense based on the data out there, they do not follow any rational pattern so I will question why they are being followed” with QAnon dopes who were waiting for JFK to appear in Dallas last week.

The people who disagree with these laughable mandates just possess common sense, they aren’t some fringe political conspiracy group just because they see something wrong with inconsistent enforcement of rules that have been proven not to work.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Great, covid hot takes have spread from the covid thread to this one. If it spreads further, we may need to shut the board down for two weeks to stop the spread.

Wait...deciding whether you want to wear a mask or not is political? I thought it was all about "science"....Are you saying it's not?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Wait...deciding whether you want to wear a mask or not is political? I thought it was all about "science"....Are you saying it's not?
I tend to ignore much of this... but just three posts earlier someone literally called masks, and I quote "Liberal Face Diapers". That sounds pretty political when discussing a mask, but what do I know. I try to ignore a majority of the COVID posts because a Hoops message board is the last place I am going to form any sort of political or science based decision. I'd rather come here to read about Rhody's back up PG.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed ^^^^ the science joke stopped being funny 15 months ago.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
We have a COVID cess pool thread where many of the above posts will be moved momentarily. I'm considering just deleting them outright as no new information was shared nor does it closely align with the already loosely moderated subject of the COVID thread.

Imagine having actual life changing issues to deal with preventing you from sitting in your preferred seat at the Ryan Center....
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So they’re letting us drink in close proximity with no masks, but then making us put our masks back on after we leave.

All of us will also have vaccines, some even with a booster, or a negative test.

What a goddam joke.

This policy was also enacted by the URI Covid task force, this is not being forced by the state.
The last sentence is false. The URI Covid task force can't violate a state order, they're just responsible for announcing the state policy to the URI community in this case. This is a direct order from the state.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 109380002/

""Rhode Island is currently experiencing a high rate of COVID-19 transmission as defined by the CDC and as such, effective at the start of business on Friday, August 13, everyone entering a state facility, both visitors and employees, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear a face covering unless you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask."
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This was the case at the URI football game at Brown. Multiple announcements that masking was required, almost no one actually masked
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago The "clear bag" thing was standard for football games out here in Texas pre-Covid, so I think it's just them conforming to a national safety standard of some sort, I imagine.
It's also the standard at all NFL games. I think the clear bags at events became a thing shortly after the marathon bombings
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What a goddam joke.

The last sentence is false. The URI Covid task force can't violate a state order, they're just responsible for announcing the state policy to the URI community in this case. This is a direct order from the state.

""Rhode Island is currently experiencing a high rate of COVID-19 transmission as defined by the CDC and as such, effective at the start of business on Friday, August 13, everyone entering a state facility, both visitors and employees, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear a face covering unless you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask."
I was told by this by an employee at the Ryan center that the URI task force has enacted this.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..my bad in posting in the wrong page/topic……..go Rhody, looking forward to going to the RC tonite……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
I saw oingo bingo with Squeeze in the early 80s...great times!
Completely off topic here, but I love “Dead Man’s Party”. Danny Elfman has carved out quite a career for himself.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

What a goddam joke.

I was told by this by an employee at the Ryan center that the URI task force has enacted this.
Look, I don't know what to tell you about the Ryan Center employee other than they're wrong or they don't know what they're talking about. I posted an article and a quote that shows this is a state mandate from Governor McKee that covers masks being worn in state buildings. Unless the Ryan Center has stopped being a state building (it hasn't) or the URI task force can overrule a state mandate (they can't), the issue people have is with the Governor
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Because most probably think they won't get a straight answer (as, everyone already knows there isn't one...the science has no clothes), but just for fun, I reached out to the Gov's office just now:

"Why do people have to wear a mask to attend a Men's basketball game at the Ryan Center, but not to a Men's basketball game at the Dunk Center in Providence?

What is the basis/rationale for the difference?"

I'm pretty sure there will be no response...but I guess I could be wrong...will keep y'all posted.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Because most probably think they won't get a straight answer (as, everyone already knows there isn't one...the science has no clothes), but just for fun, I reached out to the Gov's office just now:

"Why do people have to wear a mask to attend a Men's basketball game at the Ryan Center, but not to a Men's basketball game at the Dunk Center in Providence?

What is the basis/rationale for the difference?"

I'm pretty sure there will be no response...but I guess I could be wrong...will keep y'all posted.
Different controlling authorities.
Slava Ukraini!