The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Dre3000 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Hey Dre maybe stick that dynamite up your ass for a day or so.
Lmao if you think Hurley will be the coach of this team next year that's fine. You're a fool, but that's fine. My source is standing firm on what has been said all season. I'll even make a one sided bet. If I am wrong I'll humbly come on here and apologize and never post again. I'm sure when I'm right, you won't even apologize.
doubling down on making yourself look like a fool.

You don't know shit about shit
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, offer him the farm. Why save it for a rainy day. Tomorrow's another Nor'Easter.

Granted, in three years time, we could be right back here in this same spot and have the big boys threatening to take him away, but if you can buy three more years in this business... do it

We all learned that lesson many times over
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

3 more would be nice. I wonder how much of a now or never creeps up.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... aching-job

its golocal so they likely flipped a coin or used a magic 8 ball
Clapton is God
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Tell you what, throwing gobs of money at him now, is less frustrating and a easier pill to swallow, then reading two weeks from now, that we have a search committee going, and the "University is prepared to offer an up and coming coach even more than Hurley made"

We have an up and coming coach, just give it to him. Never lose momentum if you can help it
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ms1111 wrote:If he goes to uconn we will have to wonder if Moore was in his ear about it. I doubt Moore minds commuting to Storrs from his home in tolland (5 minutes away) instead of the hour commute to Kingston. Uconn fans think there have been ‘back channels’ on this deal for months. Would not have been hard for Moore to be uconn a inside guy on what makes Hurley tick and what he wants for his programs. Could be a conspiracy theory or could be truth. I dont know. Moore left uconn on good terms to take the Quinnipiac job and he’s one of Calhoun’s guys. I doubt he would have hung up the phone when uconn insiders called him this year to ask about Hurley knowing there would be a job for him 5 minutes from home at greater pay.
Haha, yes Moore was a mole for UCONN, come on are you serious with this post?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dre3000 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Hey Dre maybe stick that dynamite up your ass for a day or so.
Lmao if you think Hurley will be the coach of this team next year that's fine. You're a fool, but that's fine. My source is standing firm on what has been said all season. I'll even make a one sided bet. If I am wrong I'll humbly come on here and apologize and never post again. I'm sure when I'm right, you won't even apologize.
You posted boom goes the dynamite based an unverified source on twitter close to no one saying that he’s gone for a fact.

Dan hasn’t made a decision yet and he won’t until tomorrow at the earliest. No one - your sources or mine - know exactly what he’s thinking, or what he’s going to decide.

I’m saying I know enough about the situation to say it isn’t over yet. Consider that we all (including Dan) know URI can’t match UConn’s salary offer. Very obviously it would be official already if money were all that matters. If it isn’t over yet, than that means Dan has a higher chance of staying than not.

The admins here know Dan well enough to know what he needs and wants. I know that if Dan leaves it won’t be for lack of trying on our part.

Now I know you certainly have connections. So do I. I know that only 3 people know what exactly is going on and they’re not my sources or yours.

I certainly wouldn’t want you to stop posting. You bring value here. I just really thought shove the dynamite up your ass line was great and wanted to use it.

Happy to bet a round of beers on it though.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

gorhody89 wrote:http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... aching-job

Your average twitter troll is more reliable.
Slava Ukraini!
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Rhody74 wrote:
gorhody89 wrote:http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... aching-job

Your average twitter troll is more reliable.
With fewer typos as well.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I’m resting easy tonight

My gut tells he he stays

#RHODYFAMILY
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I don't begrudge Dan in whichever decision he makes. There are just a lot of red flags with the UConn job. First off based on the Courant taxpayer subsidies of athletics went from $4.5 million in 2012 to $25.4 million in 2017. If Ollie either settles or wins his case again the administration, paying 2 coaches huge salaries would infuriate me if I was a Conn taxpayer. This would not be easy PR-wise and Dan would be in the crossfire, although as we have seen here and around college basketball winning helps keep out the noise.

We are in much better hands with Dr Dooley and Thorr here than during the last crossroads in 1999 that's for sure. The university was still "thinking small" athletics-wise then. Not that we're high major players now, but the administration has backed the continuous sensible growth of the program the last 5 years.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I am prepping my possible responses. I knew DH was staying. He is a family guy and will not move until his kid graduates from Hendy. He is like his Dad and content to stay where he is successful and his family is happy...............or....Can’t blame DH for leaving, he is making a solid financial move for his family. How can you turn down tripling your salary? The opportunity to coach at a place with that championship tradition can not be turned down.....I think he stays. Step up donors. Let’s go Thorr!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Always have a plan B. I like it
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ms1111 wrote:If he goes to uconn we will have to wonder if Moore was in his ear about it. I doubt Moore minds commuting to Storrs from his home in tolland (5 minutes away) instead of the hour commute to Kingston. Uconn fans think there have been ‘back channels’ on this deal for months. Would not have been hard for Moore to be uconn a inside guy on what makes Hurley tick and what he wants for his programs. Could be a conspiracy theory or could be truth. I dont know. Moore left uconn on good terms to take the Quinnipiac job and he’s one of Calhoun’s guys. I doubt he would have hung up the phone when uconn insiders called him this year to ask about Hurley knowing there would be a job for him 5 minutes from home at greater pay.
Moore left UCONN a long time ago (2007). Current AD was hired in 2016 from Auburn. Calhoun is pissed at UCONN for the way they treated Glen Miller. That is why Calhoun is now the coach of St Joseph’s in Hartford with Miller as his Assoc HC. He waited for his consulting contract with UCONN to expire and then started working for St Joseph’s immediately.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DanInAZ wrote:
I think Bill is off a little it is at least $850,000/year for 6 years. It could be higher if this year’s unit value is higher than last year’s (which it is projected to be).
“We will be good when we are good.”
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I won’t hold it against him if he leaves but I can’t see UConn. They are trying to fire Ollie for cause to save money.

1. If UConn is justified and there actually is “just cause” that means Ollie did something that may warrant NCAA sanctions/penalties.

2. If there is no “just cause”, it just means Uconn’s administrators are trying screw over Ollie.

Either way that’s not a school I would go to.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s never been about his salary and it isnt now either. It’s on the admin to do everything possible to meet him in the middle with their desire to re-invest in the program. We have had other coaches (Penders, Harrick) who flew out of town the minute a pretty girl winked at them. That is not Dan. He has delivered on his promise and been more than loyal to the school and this program. They have to show they have the same ambitions case closed. For a school of URIs size it is well within their means to find a solution here. The cost of rebuilding to where we are will dwarf what it takes to keep us here. Business 101. I hope those at the negotiating table understand that.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

After reading through all these posts I think we got a great shot to keep him . In Zags blog it says UConn only wants to pay next coach in the low 2M range after paying Ollie 3.2 M last year

I think URI will do everything to keep him when they meet tomorrow

I am confident he stays but nobody really knows for sure
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

http://turnto10.com/sports/content/repo ... with-uconn

“The head coach for URI’s men’s basketball team apparently wants to stay in Rhode Island, a source told Sports Team 10 on Monday.”

“But Hurley plans on meeting with URI Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn on Tuesday, with the source also saying Hurley will remain at URI -- for less money -- if their pitch is strong.”
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:http://turnto10.com/sports/content/repo ... with-uconn

“The head coach for URI’s men’s basketball team apparently wants to stay in Rhode Island, a source told Sports Team 10 on Monday.”

“But Hurley plans on meeting with URI Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn on Tuesday, with the source also saying Hurley will remain at URI -- for less money -- if their pitch is strong.”
Get it done!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Tale of two boards.

- We seem to think Thorr/Dooley will convince Dan to stay for less. And local news and beat guys reporting similar.

- UConn board seems to think it’s a “done deal” and things are signed, but Dan just wants to meet with the URI side and leave on his terms. And their local news and beat guys reporting similar.

In other words, no news.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

mstyles22 wrote:Tale of two boards.

- We seem to think Thorr/Dooley will convince Dan to stay for less. And local news and beat guys reporting similar.

- UConn board seems to think it’s a “done deal” and things are signed, but Dan just wants to meet with the URI side and leave on his terms. And their local news and beat guys reporting similar.

In other words, no news.
The truth is in between. Dan’s value system is different than the traditional “more money I’m leaving approach” - UConn has the 2nd highest money but best recent history and infrastructure offer on the table. There are warts with that job...namely the conference.

Dan is loyal but he expects what he puts in. Flying commercial back from DC was bullshit, small time, and embarrassing for a program that wants to be considered big time.

The ball is completely in our court. If we commit to match Dan’s vision with investments, he will be here.

If we fall short of that he will leave and go somewhere that will.

I have faith we will get it done.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Try being on a bus back from Maine and a tire blows out in the middle of nowhere... Coach wouldn't let us outside (don't blame him). 11 hours inside the bus before we were back on URI campus.

Two words - Bush League
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get it done URI don't let our guy bolt for UConn
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

This is killing me fuck you Connecticut
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Every option should be put on the table to keep DH in Rhody...cut the football team and dump all $ into basketball if you have to
Clapton is God
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So many sources.... will the real sources please stand up?

Wish I was a source.

Bet it makes you feel cool to be a source.

Lots of wannabe sources out there.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think if we can bump him to 1.8ish with another $500k in program enhancements we have a shot. That is another 1 to 1.5 per year investment. If we can’t come up with that we don’t deserve to keep him - which would be a shame because we will make that investment back on increased revenues as our program just continues to grow.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote:I think if we can bump him to 1.8ish with another $500k in program enhancements we have a shot. That is another 1 to 1.5 per year investment. If we can’t come up with that we don’t deserve to keep him - which would be a shame because we will make that investment back on increased revenues as our program just continues to grow.
Exactly. This is where we decide what kind of a program we want to have. Hope everyone’s $20.18 cleared.

Give to Rhody's NIL
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Blue Man wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I think if we can bump him to 1.8ish with another $500k in program enhancements we have a shot. That is another 1 to 1.5 per year investment. If we can’t come up with that we don’t deserve to keep him - which would be a shame because we will make that investment back on increased revenues as our program just continues to grow.
Exactly. This is where we decide what kind of a program we want to have. Hope everyone’s $20.18 cleared.
If the admin is able to dedicate the four NCAA units right back into the program starting this year along with the increased attendance this past year, that should be a substantial enough start to hold on to Dan. We all need to keep growing this program, as I mentioned on another thread purchase an extra season ticket or two and bring somebody different to every game. Imagine the growth of hundreds of us fans did that and exposed thousands of more potential supports to the program in 18-19. Getting people talking about the program is half the battle.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

CT Rhody wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
If the admin is able to dedicate the four NCAA units right back into the program starting this year along with the increased attendance this past year, that should be a substantial enough start to hold on to Dan. We all need to keep growing this program, as I mentioned on another thread purchase an extra season ticket or two and bring somebody different to every game. Imagine the growth of hundreds of us fans did that and exposed thousands of more potential supports to the program in 18-19. Getting people talking about the program is half the battle.
Take the money to purchase extra tickets and donate it. People will always come to games. The donations are needed more.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

If Im Thorr I ask him 1 simple question.

What is the price tag on your values?

Dan as a person and a coach has always preached and practiced qualities like respect, honor, family, and loyalty.

UConn is the opposite. they dont have any of that. their word isn't worth the paper it's written on. If he goes there, he better at least make an Elite 8 in 3 years or hes gonna get tossed out in the same dumpster as Ollie.

I also worry for him that over there he wont be able to do it his way. there is a lot more meddling by admin and Calhoun...they want the coach to do it Calhoun's way. That's really what got Ollie in trouble. He put his foot down and crossed the old man
---
---
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:If Im Thorr I ask him 1 simple question.

Dan as a person and a coach has always preached and practiced qualities like respect, honor, family, and loyalty.

UConn is the opposite. they dont have any of that. their word isn't worth the paper it's written on. If he goes there, he better at least make an Elite 8 in 3 years or hes gonna get tossed out in the same dumpster as Ollie.

I also worry for him that over there he wont be able to do it his way. there is a lot more meddling by admin and Calhoun...they want the coach to do it Calhoun's way. That's really what got Ollie in trouble. He put his foot down and crossed the old man
If Thorr said that Dan would be out the door before they even talked numbers.

It’s insulting to Dan to even think of playing hardball using his values as a punchline.

If Dan goes to UConn it’s our fault...not a commentary on his value system.

Dan has done more than enough here to warrant a thank you no matter his decision. He’s also done more than enough to warrant a substantial investment in basketball the likes of which this university has never done.

If it were about the money with him he would have gone to Rutgers. He stayed. He wants the school to value basketball like he does. If he leaves it’s becasue we made the decision that basketball isn’t important to the university. It’s that simple.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

"Some people put their hands in and say Family on 3 and it's fake. here we mean it"

He aint going anywhere.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He doesn’t want to go. FTFY

But we may just be dumb enough to make him go.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

CT advise

Unread post by OrangeRam »

As a Ct resident for over 30 years, I would really think any move to Ct thoroughly. Ct was a great state 30 years ago, place with a future. Today, we are sinking like a rock. Residents and companies are moving out first chance they get. Today, we are a place to avoid. Sorry fellow residents, but you know its true. Coach, you are building something special in Kingston, Gonzaga of the east as you put it yourself. Wonderful class coming in.
We are living on the past here. The future is bleak, educational funds keep getting slashed ( my taxes are outrageous) and that trend looks to continue. Can you or anyone be successful at UConn? That's something to seriously think about. Coach, personally, I would wait for that special job, at a special school, where you have a chance to continue something special and make a name for yourself as your father had done.
Money isn't everything. Good luck.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Hopefully they get it done today and it's more of a springboard toward greater things. Everything is right on pace toward more success. He has been able to attract talent on the court and on the bench here. Wins many games. Wins tournament games.

I think there is room to grow despite the avg attendance being up to 6217 this year. They already have the scheduling for next year. Many places they are seeing the fruits of their labor.

Not to mention his "I don't give a crap" line. It will become a rallying cry or a punch line.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:If Im Thorr I ask him 1 simple question.

If Thorr said that Dan would be out the door before they even talked numbers.

It’s insulting to Dan to even think of playing hardball using his values as a punchline.

If Dan goes to UConn it’s our fault...not a commentary on his value system.

Dan has done more than enough here to warrant a thank you no matter his decision. He’s also done more than enough to warrant a substantial investment in basketball the likes of which this university has never done.

If it were about the money with him he would have gone to Rutgers. He stayed. He wants the school to value basketball like he does. If he leaves it’s becasue we made the decision that basketball isn’t important to the university. It’s that simple.
its not hardball or making his values a punchline.

It's a legit leg up we have on UConn. We mirror Dan's values, they dont. It's also not questioning Dan's character.

Fact is at some point, if he goes there, he's going to be faced with a values vs success dilemma and you know which side of the fence that school sits on.

I meant to use it as a way to take the shine and wow factor off of the money and history aspects UConn can throw out. As to say, "yes, they can offer you that, but at what price"
---
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:So many sources.... will the real sources please stand up?

Wish I was a source.

Bet it makes you feel cool to be a source.

Lots of wannabe sources out there.
That's it. I'm going to my sources. And not my big source. That's a one way street.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ok ATP, I get why you locked up that other thread, but I was hoping to find out if collegehoopsjunky is saying DH met with Calhoun during the season, which I find highly unlikely.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote:Ok ATP, I get why you locked up that other thread, but I was hoping to find out if collegehoopsjunky is saying DH met with Calhoun during the season, which I find highly unlikely.
Once the coaching situation is settled one way or another, then I hope that thread is reopened. It would be worth exploring.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Some partially-caffeinated thoughts:
-- Tom Moore is probably the "source" singing to the media. He needs those guys if he wants to be a head coach again.
-- Connecticut is basically broke, but the Leg-humpers can still jack up (again) student athletic fees to raise revenue.
-- The history of our program is "one step forward, one step back." Cognoscenti seem to think we're going to have our best team ever in two years -- if Dan stays and he and his staff keep recruiting like they are. If that is the case, the foundation for a "Gonzaga if the east" will be in place. Two years. Just find a way to keep him two more years.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Any idea when he meets with URI today? Or when we should have a definitive answer?
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Gonzaga of the East is a big ask, but not totally impossible. The northeast is currently ripe for the taking in college basketball, the right coach and program could really take advantage of it. It seems like all the teams that were formerly powers in this region are on the decline (UConn, Syracuse, BC, St. John's). I honestly believe Dan would be making a big mistake going to UConn or Pitt, but what do I know. Archie Miller and Shaka Smart were smart with the way they did things, you stick with what is working and wait for a big big time job that you know you can succeed at. The A10 has numerous coaches that hopped to the next level and probably ended up regretting it (Oliver Purnell, Brian Gregory, Anthony Grant).
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with BM if he leaves it’s an indictment on our commitment not his values. He has been a man of his word here since Day 1. To me it’s simple math, what is the revenue loss if he leaves, losing recruits and having to rebuild, resulting in an immediate attendance dip and low probability for NCAA tourney appearances over next 1-3 years. That number, even with conservative estimates, would seem to dwarf what it takes to keep him here. He has given the school the opportunity to see the big picture and put a fair value on it. I hope they do.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Last edited by RamIt! 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodysk wrote:Any idea when he meets with URI today? Or when we should have a definitive answer?
I would think it would be quick. Dan knows what UConn is offering andThorr and Dooley know what makes Dan tick. Everyone wants to get this over with, including us.
Slava Ukraini!