2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Not sure 72 was trying to compare Cox to Hurley.
I think he was saying that you just can't use 4 years as the only determining factor.
Sure you can. Most contracts at the start are for 5 years.
Of course they are, so what?
It's no longer worth arguing with you. Cox had 4 years to prove he can coach. He didn't. He is done.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Sure you can. Most contracts at the start are for 5 years.
It's no longer worth arguing with you. Cox had 4 years to prove he can coach. He didn't. He is done.
That wasn't the point of my original response.
This didn't start out as a debate as to whether or not Cox is the answer going forward.

All I said was that 4 years not making the NCAAT hasn't been the final criteria determining whether or not the HC should be retained.
Hurley did get 5 years deservedly so, especially with EC getting hurt.
The other example is Al Skinner.

The team struggled last season along with this one so far, and Thorr will allow him to finish this season before making a decision.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Skinner’s 4th year was NIT final 8 (they were a bubble team if memory serves).

DH’s third year was NIT and 4th saw EC hurt early.

DC’s teams other than a good first 2/3rds of season 2 have done nothing.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

That wasn't the point of my original response.
This didn't start out as a debate as to whether or not Cox is the answer going forward.

All I said was that 4 years not making the NCAAT hasn't been the final criteria determining whether or not the HC should be retained.
Hurley did get 5 years deservedly so, especially with EC getting hurt.
The other example is Al Skinner.

The team struggled last season along with this one so far, and Thorr will allow him to finish this season before making a decision.
If Cox is here next year there will be less interest than there already is for this program and also even less season ticket holders
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Skinner’s 4th year was NIT final 8 (they were a bubble team if memory serves).

DH’s third year was NIT and 4th saw EC hurt early.

DC’s teams other than a good first 2/3rds of season 2 have done nothing.
I am not defending Cox by any means, but the discussion was regarding the NCAAT.

Besides, season 2 at minimum for Cox would have been an NIT invite.
Remember also that season he had a 10-game win streak.

Disappointing finish losing 4 of the last 7 games
Two off those were to the 3rd ranked team in the nation.
Another loss was on the road to a better than average Davidson team, where we always struggle.
Also, the other loss was to a very good SLU team that won 23 games.
Again, there was no post-season, so it was all moot.

Look I have been extremely critical of our team's play this season, and again I am confident Thorr will make the right decision for this program.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Why did Sheppard ride the pine for about the first NINE minutes of the second half ? Even the announcers were looking for him , speculating that he was hurt !
Played the first two minutes of the second half I believe he made a bad pass then missed a rushed 3Pt in the beginning of the shot clock and didn’t fight over a screen to let Loyer get a nice open shot, Cox immediately signaled Seabass after that
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago Agreed usually there’s signs all around campus for home games, but there was only possibly one I saw around campus for this game yesterday
Lol they can’t even properly market a game to students who live a 3 minute walk away from the arena.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago
Falcon wrote: 2 years ago Why did Sheppard ride the pine for about the first NINE minutes of the second half ? Even the announcers were looking for him , speculating that he was hurt !
Played the first two minutes of the second half I believe he made a bad pass then missed a rushed 3Pt in the beginning of the shot clock and didn’t fight over a screen to let Loyer get a nice open shot, Cox immediately signaled Seabass after that
1st off Sheppard did not "ride the pine" the 1st 9 minutes of the 2nd half. You and the announcers are incorrect.

Sheppard started the 2nd half.
As Dino611 stated:

@ 18:07 Sheppard had a pass stolen by Michael Jones, then @17:47 Loyer got a wide open 3 and URI lead dropped from 7 to 4
@ 17:21 Sheppard missed a shot
At 17:11 Cox pulled Sheppard for Thomas. The lack of defense on Loyer was bad following the steal by Jones from Sheppard.

At 11:14 Cox put Sheppard back in for Thomas. That was 6 minutes, not 9 minutes. URI Lead increased from 4 points to 6 points during that 6 minutes Sheppard was out.