1/28 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/28 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

He was better than Sheppard tonight and it wasn’t particularly close.
Define better? Sheppard is an exponentially better shot creator and scorer then Thomas. Our offense is already so one dimensional with 3 of our best players being big men. Now you add a guard who can’t shoot
When was the last time Sheppard had 8 assists?

Also Sheppard shoots under 40% from the field this season.
Again, anyone can have a bunch of assists if they look to pass first. Sheppard can create and tries to do so. Our guards aren’t great shooters to begin with, and taking the few good ones off the floor for the worse shooting ones isn’t logical
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we just had a halfway decent offense, we could actually be pretty good. You know, better shooting and less TO's.

But that's on Cox.

Just supports my belief, that besides being a crappy bench coach, he hasn't recruited well enough.

The only positive is the defense.

We seem to be able to play everybody close no matter the level of the competition, but since that means CLOSE, that means a loss since we're so good in late game situations......
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….Sheppard taking over a game……..uuuuuummmm, no…….additional thought, if the debate is Ish 1, Ish 2, Sheppard, Thomas…….we are not going to high level A-10 with level of talent……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

When I ask my doctor for a medical marijuana card, all I'll have to do is show him a tape of this game.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago When I ask my doctor for a medical marijuana card, all I'll have to do is show him a tape of this game.
…….let us know how that works out……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Define better? Sheppard is an exponentially better shot creator and scorer then Thomas. Our offense is already so one dimensional with 3 of our best players being big men. Now you add a guard who can't shoot

Again, anyone can have a bunch of assists if they look to pass first. Sheppard can create and tries to do so. Our guards aren't great shooters to begin with, and taking the few good ones off the floor for the worse shooting ones isn't logical
That's such a ridiculous comment... Thomas had some beautiful assists tonight. He also had a couple plays where he drove, passed it off, and we missed bunnies. Some point guards have a knack for making the right pass. He's one of them. To assume that any player can do that is entirely wrong.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..this all nite……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Amazed how frequently Mitchell's get blocked at the rim. They make flashy dunks when there's nobody in the way, but they don't dunk over anyone.

Cox wasn't aware he was down to one TO, I bet.
Then somebody on the bench should be fired. There's somebody who goes to the scorer's table at every time out to check how many remain.
Is there? Or “there should be”? Would it surprise you if nobody checks?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

11 assists. 16 turnovers.
7 foul shots.
22.2% from 3. Hey, that's better than last game. Improvement!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago When I ask my doctor for a medical marijuana card, all I'll have to do is show him a tape of this game.
Anxiety
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….nite nite ya all……..gonna watch some Weather Channel……..I can pick this up in the morning……then again maybe not……..Go Rhody…..l
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Anxiety
PTSD

Depression
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We have a collection of the worst guards in the country.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'll get you guys sodas, but no ice cream tonight.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I'll get you guys sodas, but no ice cream tonight.
Another LOL!

You all have been great tonight with the laughs
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

My guess is it would be far less difficult than that...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Anxiety
PTSD

Depression
Can you claim PTSD and Depression if they're having fun competing out there? I don't think you can....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago In our biggest possession of the game Carey took a step back fade away three. Just like ya draw it up.

Cox is throwing spaghetti at the wall in terms of player combinations and it’s end of January.
And he took the step back 3 right in front of Cox and the URI bench.

His 2 shots in the 1st half were blocked.

With that said, Thomas and Carey were in at the end with the game on the line. Who would have believed that in November.

Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett really struggling at guards.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

For the first time in many years, I watched this game without much stress. I think I have resolved myself to the fact that this team cannot win...therefore no expectations.

I have been a Cox supporter in the past, but I too will say he has to go. Nice enough guy, but not getting the job done.

The only time I got loud during that game, was the GD time out after our made basket. WTH?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago For the first time in many years, I watched this game without much stress. I think I have resolved myself to the fact that this team cannot win...therefore no expectations.

I have been a Cox supporter in the past, but I too will say he has to go. Nice enough guy, but not getting the job done.

The only time I got loud during that game, was the GD time out after our made basket. WTH?
Uh, apparently, that timeout has been trademarked. You might owe royalties to Adam...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Next up - Fordham
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If there was a bus, and no mask requirement...(and fans could actually go to the game)....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That's a lot of If's
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So dreary.... Chin up, folks. We might get up to 5 feet of snow. Provided we don't lose power and you have enough booze...all is well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Again, anyone can have a bunch of assists if they look to pass first. Sheppard can create and tries to do so. Our guards aren't great shooters to begin with, and taking the few good ones off the floor for the worse shooting ones isn't logical
That's such a ridiculous comment... Thomas had some beautiful assists tonight. He also had a couple plays where he drove, passed it off, and we missed bunnies. Some point guards have a knack for making the right pass. He's one of them. To assume that any player can do that is entirely wrong.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Ice cream yes, jimmies NO!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Looks like a good time was had by all. Night!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jimmies are key. Cmon
GO RAMS
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Jimmies only if you win.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago For the first time in many years, I watched this game without much stress. I think I have resolved myself to the fact that this team cannot win...therefore no expectations.

……..another one……..Cox camp is getting thin…….lots of room in camp to social distance w/o masks…….go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Thomas and Carey need to take over. For the Thomas haters (I’m not sure why) I think he is going to be a really PG for Rhody.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Not sure there are any haters. He is a good player that will no doubt get better.
However he cant shoot right now. He seems to have the work ethic to get better, but sometimes players just don't.
So, a PG that can't shoot from 3 causes the lane to become clogged.
Worse, a PG that you can't play at the end of close games is tough (31% FT).

He may get better, but he also may just be a good 6-8th man going forward.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Thomas and Carey need to take over. For the Thomas haters (I’m not sure why) I think he is going to be a really PG for Rhody.
He’s kinda one dimensional at the moment. Not the most offensively gifted or consistent. But he’s also a true freshman that just started seeing legitimate minutes.

However, his one dimension is something this team sorely lacks. He’s a pass-first PG with a seemingly high BBIQ. But again - he’s a true freshman. He’ll develop.

On a team that’s having an irrelevant season, he’ll be a fun story and someone who wants to play for URI- not just the coach at the moment.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….any post game comments from Cox?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….any post game comments from Cox?
Havent heard but let me try -

“I towld owah guys…”

“It’s all part of the process”
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Thomas and Carey need to take over. For the Thomas haters (I’m not sure why) I think he is going to be a really PG for Rhody.
He’s kinda one dimensional at the moment. Not the most offensively gifted or consistent. But he’s also a true freshman that just started seeing legitimate minutes.

However, his one dimension is something this team sorely lacks. He’s a pass-first PG with a seemingly high BBIQ. But again - he’s a true freshman. He’ll develop.

On a team that’s having an irrelevant season, he’ll be a fun story and someone who wants to play for URI- not just the coach at the moment.
If he gets the floater in the lane that he hit last night to start dropping we are in good shape. His shot in warmups looks good, he is rushing in the game and looks not quite comfortable taking it yet. I think that will come.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Fortunately we had friends over last night so I only had the game on in the background and didn't really focus on it.

My brother commented to me that he wonders if when the losses keep piling up, if Cox will just lose the team. If he hasn't already.

That's all I got.
Mobley was fouled.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Shepherd is the biggest disappointment this year - he needed to be better for this team to succeed. Ish Leggett is second on that list but I give him the benefit of a sophomore slump and think he may be able to pull out of it as the season progresses. Shepherd is a 5/6th year college basketball player, we need more from him.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….OK, neither is a go-to guy, maybe at best contributors where the stud main guy exists…….I think it was blueram that said we got 15 contributors……..agree with your assessment of one and two in the disappointment department…….I see nothing this will change going forward……..additional thought, they are for me, lower level players; MAAC/NEC type players……..
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0C610D74-147D-4C4A-8076-FC63C868E798.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Shepherd is the biggest disappointment this year - he needed to be better for this team to succeed. Ish Leggett is second on that list but I give him the benefit of a sophomore slump and think he may be able to pull out of it as the season progresses. Shepherd is a 5/6th year college basketball player, we need more from him.
I agree he has been the biggest disappointment.

I like many others here felt that for us to jump to the upper tier of the A10. we would need strong performances from our starting guards.
Obviously, that hasn't happened.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Shepherd is the biggest disappointment this year - he needed to be better for this team to succeed. Ish Leggett is second on that list but I give him the benefit of a sophomore slump and think he may be able to pull out of it as the season progresses. Shepherd is a 5/6th year college basketball player, we need more from him.
I agree he has been the biggest disappointment.

I like many others here felt that for us to jump to the upper tier of the A10. we would need strong performances from our starting guards.
Obviously, that hasn't happened.
All of the best Rhody teams, and typically all teams, have and do run their success through their back court. No denying it. Weak guard performance, weak team.
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yeah - I think Sheppard has been perfectly average this year, and his PER is 15.2, which is right around the typical bar of an "average" starter (15.0). However, you do kind of expect more from a player of his age and relative experience. (He missed two years of D1 basketball, between transferring and JC.) Leggett has been even more disappointing, though, and last night was another game with practically zero on the offensive end from him.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Baron’s top teams would absolutely steamroll these stiffs.

At least those teams had legitimate stars.

Only stars this team has are from their recruiting pages.
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

[
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Baron’s top teams would absolutely steamroll these stiffs.

I disagree with that - this team is good and can hang with almost any team. The front court is stronger then any Rhody team in the last 20 years and D is really good and will keep them in almost games. They are missing a go to guy in the last 5 mins of the game to get the win. Shepherd and EA both could have been that guy but neither is doing it. Shepherd was starting to look like the guy at the end of last season but it didn’t carry over. However, I expect the team to go 7-3 over the next 10 and someone will emerge.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah - I think Sheppard has been perfectly average this year, and his PER is 15.2, which is right around the typical bar of an "average" starter (15.0). However, you do kind of expect more from a player of his age and relative experience. (He missed two years of D1 basketball, between transferring and JC.) Leggett has been even more disappointing, though, and last night was another game with practically zero on the offensive end from him.
Yes, no doubt that Ish has struggled on the offensive end.
But I give him more of a pass than Sheppard, because he is still young and not uncommon to go through these sophomore slumps.
Also, he is arguably our best perimeter defender and gets the toughest assignments, maybe that is taking a little out of him.

Sheppard is a 5/6-year grad, without Fatts this was supposed to be his year to really standout.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Change the damn lineup. I’m tired of this political BS with Cox.
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I didn’t have the chance to watch the game. Did we blow another big lead?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Baron’s top teams would absolutely steamroll these stiffs.

I disagree with that - this team is good and can hang with almost any team. The front court is stronger then any Rhody team in the last 20 years and D is really good and will keep them in almost games. They are missing a go to guy in the last 5 mins of the game to get the win. Shepherd and EA both could have been that guy but neither is doing it. Shepherd was starting to look like the guy at the end of last season but it didn’t carry over. However, I expect the team to go 7-3 over the next 10 and someone will emerge.
While I agree with your assessment of the problem; I disagree with your assessment of the front court. Hass/Iverson/Langevine was better. Seawright, Daniels, heck I prefer Ulmer to the twins. Agree it's a different style of player I'm talking about. Basically I think the entire concept of running an offense thru a pair of traditional centers, no matter how strong, won't work in college basketball. And I think the twins are overrated to begin with.